IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

We don't rely upon the brain for enlightenment

Rate this topic

The brain is an important tool for receiving and sharing the revelations of the Lord. However our faith does not seek repose on the faculties of the anyone's brain.

And not just our own brain. But also the spiritual master's. Brains are always subject to deterioration as in Alzheimers or some concussive event. This includes the guru's brain. What to do if one's spiritual master develops Alzheimers? Is our access to revelation then cut off? Never,unless we have mistakenly placed our faith there.

The self realized spiritual master must know he is not the brain, but rather the brain is one tool he is using. If it fails then he will bestow his blessings through other avenues. That and the fact that Sri Krsna as Supersoul is the ultimate guru and bestower of revelations. So our faith must go to the transcendental side.

There are two threads now running here to which this simple fact must be figured in. As amazing as it is the brain is it remains subject to material laws of development and eventual decay.

Thus I find it disheartening to hear people say that Srila Prabhupada can no longer instruct his disciple if and when to accept the formal role of guru for instance. Srila Prabhupada was not an elderly Indian gentleman, he was a self realized devotee using a particular body to do his service for Krsna. Let us not mistake the tool for the one who uses the tool. If we do we will think of guru as limited to the limitations of the tool itself as in Srila Prabhupada cannot speak to his disciples anymore because his body is now dead to material operation.

This is also another poignant fact Christ taught us by His resurrection.

But, intelligence as referred to in the Bhagavad-gita in terms of buddhi-yoga is not a product of the brain.

The brain is not the source of intelligence.

Srila Prabhupada states in the Bhagavad-gita purport that intelligence is the form direction of the Lord and comes from the Supersoul.

Intelligence is not coming from the brain, but from the Lord in the heart through intuitive knowledge.:eek:

The brain is an important tool for receiving and sharing the revelations of the Lord. However our faith does not seek repose on the faculties of the anyone's brain.

And not just our own brain. But also the spiritual master's. Brains are always subject to deterioration as in Alzheimers or some concussive event. This includes the guru's brain. What to do if one's spiritual master develops Alzheimers? Is our access to revelation then cut off? Never,unless we have mistakenly placed our faith there.

The self realized spiritual master must know he is not the brain, but rather the brain is one tool he is using. If it fails then he will bestow his blessings through other avenues. That and the fact that Sri Krsna as Supersoul is the ultimate guru and bestower of revelations. So our faith must go to the transcendental side.

There are two threads now running here to which this simple fact must be figured in. As amazing as it is the brain is it remains subject to material laws of development and eventual decay.

Thus I find it disheartening to hear people say that Srila Prabhupada can no longer instruct his disciple if and when to accept the formal role of guru for instance. Srila Prabhupada was not an elderly Indian gentleman, he was a self realized devotee using a particular body to do his service for Krsna. Let us not mistake the tool for the one who uses the tool. If we do we will think of guru as limited to the limitations of the tool itself as in Srila Prabhupada cannot speak to his disciples anymore because his body is now dead to material operation.

This is also another poignant fact Christ taught us by His resurrection.

Prabhu, I heard once that intelligence is no understanding. And mind. It can't understand God. It comes from the soul. When I read Bg I used to try to understand it with my I and mine. But doesn't work. What you said was 100%, in Islam they amaganate the mind and intelligence and direct the ego (I) to God. I don't come here so much as my ego goes a bit high. I am so glad I don't use my mind and intelligence so much anymore (LOL). One Godbrother said to me the mind is very tricky, it says things it don't know.

Ps. I want to say sorry to Guruvani p in case I offended in the past.

But, intelligence as referred to in the Bhagavad-gita in terms of buddhi-yoga is not a product of the brain.

The brain is not the source of intelligence.

Srila Prabhupada states in the Bhagavad-gita purport that intelligence is the form direction of the Lord and comes from the Supersoul.

Intelligence is not coming from the brain, but from the Lord in the heart through intuitive knowledge.:eek:

Yes. But you start with the "but" leading me to think you mean to disagree, yet I see no disagreement in what you said in regards to what I said.

Intelligence is coming from the Lord in the heart through [spiritual directed]intuition. This is the very reason we don't need the GBC to invent guru appointment schemes and why those that say if Prabhupada didn't appoint a guru before he left there can never be another guru. Noticable by its absence in the current Iskcon scheme or the ritvik answer to it is any directing of the souls to seek such direct knowledge from the Lord in the heart. This is why I say they are both unnecessary disturbances in the devotee community.

Pankaja-I am so glad I don't use my mind and intelligence so much anymore (LOL). One Godbrother said to me the mind is very tricky, it says things it don't know.

I would say that is an intelligent approach. Too much thinking is the mental version of prajalpa. So much chattering on about nonsense. I think it a good intelligent use of mind and intelligence to remain simple and still. There is some Bible verse that says, " Be still and know that I am God."

I would say that is an intelligent approach. Too much thinking is the mental version of prajalpa. So much chattering on about nonsense. I think it a good intelligent use of mind and intelligence to remain simple and still. There is some Bible verse that says, " Be still and know that I am God."

I once knew a self appointed newage type guru who had this saying over the entrance of his front door." Be still and know that I am God."

But you can guess what his interpretation of it was.

Sweet-hearts we like ....sweet-brains.... not so sure. I'll have to think about it.:rolleyes:

The use of silence can be more effective, than the misuse of sound.

1God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

2Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

3Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

4There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.

5God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.

6The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.

7The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

8Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.

9He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.

10Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

11The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.