IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mohankrishna

Lord Brahma's worship

Rate this topic

bwell, i know here in http://krsnaconsciousness.org/downloads.htm you can find Prabhupäda lectures, also.

I did know that in India there is only one `place of worship for brahma in ahmedhabadh if i am not mistaken that means the land of the sheeps or something like that.

but most worship places are known for the supreme personality, Bolenath.

he got some curse from deva and brahmanas because he got married to his own daughter saraswati devi. but he is worshiped in pushkar, rajasthan.

theres a very old deity of brahma four headed. and i heard in some iskcon temple still he got offerings in guru-goranga altar as our adi guru.

thanx

vamsidhari gopinatha dasa

and i heard in some iskcon temple still he got offerings in guru-goranga altar as our adi guru.

thanx

vamsidhari gopinatha dasa

Wuow, nice Info.

Yeah Rajastan, i have heard that too in Northern lands of India In Mount Abu, is a Place where you can go met Brahma Baba. - Up Up in the HIll !

is not a place of worship, but all began from there.

interesting info Gopinatha, thank you.

Lord brahma is god of creation. But worshiping brahma you have to perform many rituals. These tasks are not easy in these yuga . people worships few common Gods and Godesses. And in this yuga chanting mahamantra is the best thing.

Hare krsna

Hare Krishna!

I have noticed that no one as far as I know worships Brahma. Why is that?

The devotees of Krsna are not willing to waste their time with deva-yajna, knowing well that the results are only temporary.

Furthermore, such worship is specifically not recommended for this age. The worship most recommended is hari-nama-sankirtana. By so doing one actually worships the Lord who Lord Brahma worships, thus following in Brahmas footsteps.

SB 11.5.32:

yajnaih sankirtana-prayair

yajanti hi su-medhasah

"In the age of Kali, intelligent persons perform congregational chanting to worship the incarnation of Godhead who constantly sings the names of Krsna." [sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu]

Lord Brahma incarnated as Haridasa Thakura, and assisited the Lord in His pastime of Harinama sankirtana. One excellent example of this is when Lord Nityananda and Haridasa attempted to preach to Jagai and Madhai to deliver them. He was always engaged in kirtana of the Lord, even since the beginning of time.

Even in Krsna-lila, Lord Brahma was engaged in nama-sankirtana when he prayed (SB 10.14.40):

sri-krsna vrsni-kula-puskara-josa-dayin

ksma-nirjara-dvija-pasudadhi-vrddhi-karin

uddharma-sarvara-hara ksiti-raksasa-dhrug

a-kalpam arkam arhan bhagavan namas te

"My dear Sri Krsna, You bestow happiness upon the lotuslike Vrsni dynasty and expand the great oceans consisting of the earth, the demigods, the brahmanas and the cows. You dispel the dense darkness of irreligion and oppose the demons who have appeared on this earth. O Supreme Personality of Godhead, as long as this universe exists and as long as the sun shines, I will offer my obeisances unto You."

This is the very important pastime that sets the scene for the cause of Brahmas future life as Thakura Haridasa.

If we are to worship Brahmaji, let us worship him in that way, as the Acarya of the Holy Name.

Hare Krsna

Lord Brahma incarnated as Haridasa Thakura, and assisited the Lord in His pastime of Harinama sankirtana. One excellent example of this is when Lord Nityananda and Haridasa attempted to preach to Jagai and Madhai to deliver them. He was always engaged in kirtana of the Lord, even since the beginning of time.

haribol

Guest guest

Hare Krishna!!!!

Hi....I am a christian. I came across Swami Prabhupada's statement -- "Lord Brahma is called the forefather, er, grandfather, pitamaha". Is this "Er" a sanskrit word or others? What is the specific meaning of this? Please let me know where I get this word. Regarding "Pitamaha", I came to know that pitāmaha = grandfather (SB 5.7.4)... What is this "SB 5.7.4"? Thanks in advance..

Hare Krishna!!!

The devotees of Krsna are not willing to waste their time with deva-yajna, knowing well that the results are only temporary.

It has nothing to do with deva- yajna.

Isn't Lord Brahma the head of the Gaudiya Brahma sampradaya ? If so shouldn't Brahma be accorded the respect and worship befitting a founder of the great sampradaya ?

It has nothing to do with deva- yajna.

Isn't Lord Brahma the head of the Gaudiya Brahma sampradaya ? If so shouldn't Brahma be accorded the respect and worship befitting a founder of the great sampradaya ?

I think I made the point fairly clear in terms of worshiping him in the proper context, that is in relation to his devotion to the Lord.

Brahma is an administrative post. Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura has stated that a qualified candidate can come from one of three categories, namely karmis, jnanis, and bhaktas. If there is no one qualified to take the post, the Lord Himself will assume it.

So, which one was mohankrishna referring to in his original question--the karmi Brahma, the jnani Brahma, or the bhakta Brahma? Was he referring to the present Brahma of this universe, or Brahma in general (as a demigod)?

Bhava das

Brahma is the founder / head of the Brahma - Gaudiya sampradaya, as such. I would expect Brahma to be honoured by the sampradaya as their founding guru.

For e.g in Sri sampradaya they believe Laskmi is their First guru,

a) they have a parama guru pranam - honouring Laksmi.

b) To Sri vaisnavas, Laksmi as a guru, is the mediatrix between God and the jivas

My questions are simple

a) where is such a parama guru pranam or honour for Brahma is the Gaudiya sampradaya ?

b) If Brahma ji is founder of Gaudiya tradition, then Brhama ji should rightly be the mediatrix between the devotee and the Lord. But why Srimati Radha takes over his role ?

c) Brahma is know to have fallen for his own daughter, and also subjected to illusion by the Lord, as such is he fit to be the founding acharya ?

d) Please provide objective (not subjective) scriptural evidence to support the gradation of Brahma ji

the karmi Brahma, the jnani Brahma, or the bhakta Brahma?

Thanks

my question was more general. i wasn't talking about worship by vaishnavas. i mean by people in general. you see some worshipping devis and devas...but not brahma.

mohankrishna

Thank you for the clearification.

I know from my own personal experience in Thailand that Brahma is being worshipped by the people in general there.

On one of the street corners, there is a golden Brahma sitting on a beautifully decorated throne being offered incense, garlands and prayers daily.

A link to a picture of this Brahma is in the "Title" of this post. /\

Guest guest

Thank you for the clearification.

I know from my own personal experience in Thailand that Brahma is being worshipped by the people in general there.

On one of the street corners, there is a golden Brahma sitting on a beautifully decorated throne being offered incense, garlands and prayers daily.

A link to a picture of this Brahma is in the "Title" of this post. /\

That's very interesting indeed! I thought they were mostly buddhist.

Thanks for all the information.

mohankrishna

Brahma is the founder / head of the Brahma - Gaudiya sampradaya, as such. I would expect Brahma to be honoured by the sampradaya as their founding guru.

In my first post, I glorified Lord Brahma in this context, as a great Vaisnava Acarya.

In my next post, I mentioned the three categories of jivas who are qualified to occupy the administrative post of Brahma. In this regard, we have no business as Vaisnavas worshipping him as others do through deva-yajna to obtain some higher material position. This does not mean that we disrespect Brahma, or not honor him as he rightfully deserves.

In terms of their destinations. A Brahma who is a karmi, after living out his life, has to stay in the material atmosphere. The jnani Brahma may go on to merge into the impersonal Brahman. But, a great devotee Brahma such as ours enters into the abode of the Lord at the end.

The original question appeared to me to be one about worship of Brahma as a demigod in general, and not specifically as the head of our sampradaya.

I hope this has clarified my position.

That's very interesting indeed! I thought they were mostly buddhist.

Thanks for all the information.

mohankrishna

I lived in Thailand for three years and saw many remnants of the Vedic culture there, including the depiction of the Ramayana on the inner walls of the kings temple. In fact, in 1976 I personally donated a set of Srimad Bhagavatam to the "Raj-kru", or kings guru.

Anyway, thank you for starting this nice thread.

In my next post, I mentioned the three categories of jivas who are qualified to occupy the administrative post of Brahma.

A) How you reconcile the above with the Gaudiya teaching that Brahma is a guna avatara ?

B) If Garbodaksayi Vishnu manifest himself as Brahma is he subjected to the 3 jiva categories ?

Guna-avataras

(incarnations of the qualitative modes of nature)

They are Brahma (rajo-guna), Visnu (sattva-guna) and Siva (tamo-guna). Brahma is one of the living entities, but due to his devotional service he is very powerful. This primal living entity, master of the mode of material passion, is directly empowered by the Garbhodakasayi Visnu to create innumerable living entities. In Brahma-samhita (5.49) Brahma is likened to valuable jewels influenced by the rays of the sun, and the sun is likened to the Supreme Lord Garbhodakasayi Visnu.

If in some kalpa there is no suitable living entity capable of acting in Brahma's capacity, Garbhodakasayi Visnu Himself manifests as Brahma and acts accordingly.

http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclopedia/avatars.htm

In this regard, we have no business as Vaisnavas worshipping him as others do through deva-yajna to obtain some higher material position. This does not mean that we disrespect Brahma, or not honor him as he rightfully deserves.

How is Brahma respected and honoured in the Gaudiya tradition as an acharya ?

(please note the difference - worshipping guru to that of deva)

Furthermore, such worship is specifically not recommended for this age. The worship most recommended is hari-nama-sankirtana. By so doing one actually worships the Lord who Lord Brahma worships, thus following in Brahmas footsteps.

Thanks

Hare Krsna mahakala,

Before I reply to your questions above, it would be helpful to know if you are a member of ISKCON, or another branch of the Gaudiya tree? It is question regarding the authority of guru and his statements.

As for myself, I am a member of ISKCON.

Radhe Krishna,

My dear friend, paying my obeisance to all the early gaudiya vaishnava aacharyaas, I wish to remind you that there is world beyond gaudiya sampradaaya.

As the tamil saint thiruvalluvar, says,

from whatever source you obtain knowledge, the matter to be looked upon is truth and not the source.

This has been the teachings of many upanishads also.

If you study Shrimad Bhagavatham, you would come to know that knowledge was obtained by Bikshu from as much varied personalities like a veshya shthri pingala to a snake.

The same question was asked to me when I pointed out the voidness in the concept of godhead and demigods which is against the teachings of Advaita, Visishtadvaita and dvaita.

All the three philosophies teach that God is one and only one although there are differences as to his form.

Radhe krishna

Radhe Krishna,

The same question was asked to me when I pointed out the voidness in the concept of godhead and demigods which is against the teachings of Advaita, Visishtadvaita and dvaita.

All the three philosophies teach that God is one and only one although there are differences as to his form.

Radhe krishna

Are you putting forth that voidness is against these three philosophies or are you saying that the concept of godhead and demigods is?

mohankrishna

Radhe Krishna,

The basic three philosophies state that god is one and only one although they view differences in its form. God is a singular term. He is unique. It is not as if there are a band of gods and they have a head.

what is referred to as demigods are the devatha ganam.

A devatha can never be a god.

Devathas are as perishable like you and me although there is difference of age, whereas God is omnipresent, omnipotent and imperishable.

God is the supreme.

none is above him or even equal to him.

the ladder of manushya to brahmam is explained in ananda valli of thaithriya upanishad.

To raise devatha to the poistion of God is to upgrade them unscripturally and downgrade god unscripturally.

Apart from this, give importance to what is said in thirukural

"Epporul yaar yaar vaai ketpinum

Apporul meiporul kaanbadharivu"

Meaning - Information has to be looked at the facevalue of its truth rather than its source.

Radhe Krishna

Radhe Krishna,

The basic three philosophies state that god is one and only one although they view differences in its form. God is a singular term. He is unique. It is not as if there are a band of gods and they have a head.

what is referred to as demigods are the devatha ganam.

A devatha can never be a god.

Devathas are as perishable like you and me although there is difference of age, whereas God is omnipresent, omnipotent and imperishable.

God is the supreme.

none is above him.

the ladder of manushya to brahmam is explained in ananda valli of thaithriya upanishad.

To raise devatha to the poistion of God is to upgrade them unscripturally and downgrade god unscripturally.

Apart from this, give importance to what is said in thirukural

"Epporul yaar yaar vaai ketpinum

Apporul meiporul kaanbadharivu"

Meaning - Information has to be looked at the facevalue of its truth rather than its source.

Radhe Krishna

Hare krishna!

I accept what you say. Thank you for the clarification. For a moment up there i thought you were saying that the conclusion of the 3 philosophies was voidism! hahah

Thank you.

ps. what do you do?