IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
sarkar

Meat eating in the gita.

Rate this topic

Hello friends, I have been looking in the Gita, the "as it is" translation, and can not find anything on the consequenses of meat eating. Please help me to find the correct part.

The Gita does not talk about the consequences of meat eating. This should not be taken to mean the Gita endorses eating meat.

You will have to look elsewhere.

Cheers

Guest guest

Krsna says that food thats rotten and more then 3 hours old is in tamo guna, and when u kill a animal, exactly at the time off death the body starts to decay.. so yes the Gita tells u about meat..

and Krsna says that a fruit, a leave or water offered in devoiton, He will accept.. but nothing He says bout taking meat...

Krsna says that food thats rotten and more then 3 hours old is in tamo guna, and when u kill a animal, exactly at the time off death the body starts to decay.. so yes the Gita tells u about meat..

The same logic applies to fruits and vegetables. The moment they are harvested, they start rotting and by the time they hit the supermarkets they are at least a day old which by your logic is Tamasic and should not be consumed. What you are essentially saying is you cannot eat anything that you have not plucked off a tree or a plant yourself.

And of course, where does Krishna specify the 3-hour constraint??

and Krsna says that a fruit, a leave or water offered in devoiton, He will accept.. but nothing He says bout taking meat...

He does not say anything about rice, pasta and bread either. So does this mean he will not accept them? Do you know anyone who eats fruits for breakfast, leaves for lunch and drinks a couple of glasses of water for dinner?

The point is stop loose interpretations of texts to suit your beliefs. Someone else can do the same for an entirely different set of beliefs thus causing these texts to lose their significance.

Cheers

Guest guest

acctually ur wrong in one point, vegetables dont devacy when they are plocked, they still grow.. ok i see that i have to be more specific with u next time..

Rice and grains don't decay when they are harvested. None of what you said follows any logic. You should stop trying to "defeat" people every chance you get and think through your statements first.

Read my post again.

I am giving the example of fruits and vegetables (nothing on rice & grains) to illustrate a point. The point is honesty. Stop trying to use the Gita as a one stop shop for everything under the sun by misinterpreting and bringing in non-extant material into the verses which make no sense. Especially when there are other texts which are just as valid as the Gita and have explicit material on the sins of slaughter and meat consumtiion.

The fact is the Gita says nothing about the effects of meat eating and it is a simple thing to acknowledge this and direct people to other texts instead of trying to find an answer for everything inside the Gita. Since I see nothing wrong with what I have written, I fail to understand what turned you off.

Cheers

i think Govinda_das got the translation from http://www.krishna.com/gitaframeset/gita_frameset.html as:

BG 17.10: Food prepared more than three hours before being eaten, food that is tasteless, decomposed and putrid, and food consisting of remnants and untouchable things is dear to those in the mode of darkness.

However the fact remains that when you pluck fruit/veg from a plant or tree decomposition is not immediate. In fact fruit has the wonderful quality of maturing even when it is not attached to the tree (by production of ethene). It's only afterwards they become stale. The operative words here "food prepared" - i.e. food that has been cooked in some way. Shvu is right in that there is no mention of meat.

Then again, it depends on what your definition of "putrid" or "untouchable" food is.

Radhe Krishna,

Yes, I too have great respect for Bhagawath Geetha, containing of words spoken by shri krishna. But basically its a uttara mimamsa grantha - A pure vedantic grantha. As such, I feel one need not refer to Geetha for mundane things. Meat eating has something to do with your lifestyle.

The dos and donts of lifestyles are governed in a detailed way by smruthis for those who look upto them for performing their shroutha smartha karmas. Smartha, Shrivaishnava and Madhwa sampradaya people refer to Aapasthamba, bodayana, Ashwalayana, Drahyayana and katyayana smruthis depending upon their shaka of veda. The issues which are not covered under these are sometimes referred from smruthimukthapalam.

For Gaudiya Sampradaya vaishnavas - I think - (They may please correct me if I am wrong) - Hari Bhakthi vilasam gives what a vaishnava should do and should not do.

Radhe Krishna

The fact is the Gita says nothing about the effects of meat eating and it is a simple thing to acknowledge this and direct people to other texts instead of trying to find an answer for everything inside the Gita.
The sanskrit word amedhyam in 17.10 means "unfit for sacrifice", which refers to a variety of unclean things including meat.

Radhe Krishna,

jndasji, Radhekrishna,Hope you would agree that the reference to "Amedhyam" is a general reference and from this you deduce that it includes "meat". There are texts which specifically give instructions for avoiding meat eating.

Is there any reference in this regard in "Hari BhaKthi vilasam"

Radhe Krishna

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">im vegi anyway even if it doesen't mention meat-eating meat is bad for the human body even my headteacher at school says it but these ingnorant cruel people will never learn let them suffer we've tried our best</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hello friends, I have been looking in the Gita, the "as it is" translation, and can not find anything on the consequenses of meat eating. Please help me to find the correct part.

Haribol,

Dear prabhu,

Look in one of Kurma das`s books, and he will advise you on what foods are edible.

He is a really nice devotee of lord Krishna, and an expert in Krishna cuisine.

Please do what krishna expects of you in the kitchen, and don`t try to complicate things.

Hare Krishna.