IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
kirtan

I was taught a puja to Lord Krishna by a Hindu summer camp as a kid

Rate this topic

I was taught a puja to lord Krishna by a summer camp as a kid. It goes like this: Dhyaana Mantram (shaantaa kaaram bhujaga shayanam padma naabham suresham. Vishvaa dhaaram gagana sadrisham meghavarnam Shubhaangam. Lakshmi kaantam kamala nayanam yogi hrid dhyaana gamyam. Vande bhava bhaya haram sarva lokai kanaatham)

Followed by the usual upachaaras i.e Om sri gopala krishna aavaahanam samarpayaami, Om sri gopala krishna aasanam samarpayaami etc.

AM I ELIGIBLE TO PERFORM THIS PUJA? I HAVE NOT YET UNDERGONE INITIATION ALTHOUGH I FOLLOW THE REGULATIVE PRINCIPLES AND DO HARINAAMA AND OFFER MY FOOD TO THE LORD BEFORE EATING IT. THESE TYPE OF PUJAS ARE TAUGHT TO KIDS IN SMARTA HINDU TEMPLES AND CAMPS THRU OUT THE U.S. AND IS TAUGHT IN THE HOMES OF SMARTA BRAHMINS TO THEIR KIDS. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE RESPONSES

Guest guest

The major vaishnava sampradayas place and emphasis on having initation in performing puja to the Lords 3D images as well as chanting specific mantra.

Different sampradayas have their own rules and regs. Gaudiya vaishnavas do not alow Puja to the Radha-Krishna images before initaition but gaura-nitya murty puja is permited. In Srivaishnavism salagram puja is restriced to twice born men who are iniated devotees

However i think anyone can perform simple puja and i dont think there are specific restrictions to offering puja to the chitra-swaroopa (2d photographic or painted images) of Krishna.