IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
ThusArtThou

Trying to learn and understand...

Rate this topic

Hello:

I am a Chicagoan (white) very very interested in converting to Hinduism; I've considered myself atheist since the tender age of eleven...I am now 50.

I am actively attempting to learn as much as possible, I feel a conversion taking place...can whites convert to Hinduism? Are white converts accepted and freely allowed to worship in temples? I'm not a "new-ager", not some middle-aged front-room-yoga-granola-munching white suburbanite looking for a curiosity, I am very serious here. I have no spiritual center and am seriously seeking.

Thank you

ThusArt

Yes, Hinduism accepts people of all backgrounds. Different schools will have different views on who can perform what type of worship. The scriptures accept that anyone can worship the Lord with devotion being the only requirement.

Hinduism is very vast and there are many paths within it. I would suggest you first read some of the books like Bhagavad Gita and try to figure out what it is you are attracted to. Once you know that, then you can figure out how to proceed and which path to follow.