IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

wives in hinduism

Rate this topic

Guest guest

what does vedas/ramayan/gita say about # of wives hinduism is supposed to have. a muslim in some other board is saying that there is no reference in these holy books on how many wives a man should have, he says qu'ran is the only book that says "only one wife." how should i rebuttle him.

Do you know what is Contract Marriage? Check it on the Net.

That is what Muhammad - founder of Islam practise. And that is what Muslims in various nations like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Afghan and even in Malaysia are practising.

WHO said Al Quran stated only one wife? Muhammad himself married 13 (THIRTEEN) wives, including a 8 year old Aishah, which by today's standard means illegal.

Nowhere in the Qu'ran does it say that a man can only have one woman. In fact, Islamic practice endorses polygamy. I also heard from a Muslim scholar that the Dharma Shastras state that Brahmins are allowed to marry up to 3 wives, but I have not been able to confirm this.

Can anyone confirm the various Dharma Shastras allowing Brahmins to have several wives? I'm pretty sure Bhishma Pita from the Mahabharata endorsed polygamy.