IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

The 10 Defenses Against Committing the 10 Offenses

Rate this topic

In his book, The Art of Chanting Hare Krishna, HH Mahanidhi Swami lists “ten actions… to protect one from the tendency to make offenses” that originally appear in Srila Sacidananda Bhaktivinoda Thakur’s Harinama Cintamani.

I typed them up, in a slightly paraphrased form, when I first read Mahanidhi Swami’s book and thought I would reproduce them here as well.

The 10 Defenses

1. Serve those who serve the Lord, don’t criticize them out of envy or false ego.

2. Worship Krishna as the “source of all spiritual and material worlds”, “the ultimate beneficiary of all sacrifices and austerities, the Supreme Lord of all planets and demigods and the benefactor and well-wisher of all living entities.” Show respect to demigods like Lord Siva or Ganesh and personalities like Hanuman as exalted devotees of Lord Krishna.

3. Show full respect to the spiritual master in thoughts, words and actions, considering him to be a representative of the Lord. Carry out the orders of the spiritual master with enthusiasm and attention to detail.

4. Honor (and study) the scriptures as the instructions of the Supreme Lord (dharmam tu saksad bhagavat pranitam) with the desire to understand how they are correct (not if they are correct).

5. Have faith that the Holy Name is not a mundane sound vibration, but is in fact transcendental sound, descending from the (pure) spiritual platform.

6. Have faith in the explanations and glorification of the Holy Name given by guru, sadhu and sastra. This knowledge is given by those who have experienced the glories of the Holy Name, and who have “seen the truth.”

7. Root out the desire to commit sins. A sin is an action that is not connected to the Supreme Lord; something done for the gratification of the senses. Acting only for the pleasure of the material body brings you further from practical realization of your factual identity as an eternal spirit soul (separate from the temporary material body).

8. Give up ritualistic pious activities. Transcend feelings of duty and obligation and perform all activities for the pleasure of Krishna.

9. Discuss the glories of the Holy Name with servants of the Lord who will relish hearing about it.

10. Chant attentively, absorbing your full consciousness in the transcendental vibration of the Holy Name.

Mahanidhi Swami also notes that one who cultivates the four qualities of humility, tolerance, pridelessness, and respect for others will be protected from committing the ten offenses.

(from Nectar of Devotion)

The offenses against chanting the holy name are as follows:

1) To blaspheme the devotees who have dedicated their lives for propagating the holy name of the Lord.

2) To consider the names of the demigods like Lord Siva or Lord Brahma to be equal to, or independent of, the name Lord Visnu.

3) To disobey the orders of the spiritual master.

4) To blaspheme the Vedic literature or literature in pursuance of the Vedic version.

5) To consider the glories of chanting Hare Krsna to be imagination.

6) To give some interpretation on the holy name of the Lord.

7) To commit sinful activities on the strength of chanting the holy name of the Lord.

8) To consider chanting of Hare Krsna one of the auspicious ritualistic activities offered in the Vedas as fruitive activities (karma-kanda).

9) To instruct a faithless person about the glories of the holy name.

10) To not have complete faith in the chanting of the holy names and to maintain material attachments, even after understanding so many instructions on this matter.

Every devotee who claims to be a Vaisnava must guard against these offenses in order to quickly achieve the desired success.

Remember that even if one feels they are being offensive, there is no need to stop chanting. By trying to chant sincerely and serving the spiritual master, we may be purified of our offenses and may be able to chant purely. Chant Hare Krsna and Be Happy!

HARE KRSNA HARE KRSNA KRSNA KRSNA HARE HARE

HARE RAMA HARE RAMA RAMA RAMA HARE HARE

Guest guest

Jai Ganesh

RE

(2) To consider the names of the demigods like Lord Siva or Lord Brahma to be equal to, or independent of, the name Lord Visnu. )

Whose offence is it? Who actually is being offended here may I ask, is it Krishna is it Vedas

And puranas?

It can not possibly be Krishna for he clearly states off Rudra I am shankara (not with standing various different interpretation) what matters is Krishna says this in Bhagvat Gita chapter 10.

Vedas proclaim

Indram mitram varuNam agnim ãhuh,

atho divyah sa suparNo garutmãn,

ekam sad viprãh bahudhã vadanti,

agnim yamam mãtarišvãnam ãhuh.

(They hail Him as Indra, as Mitra, as VaruNa, as Agni, also as that divine and noble-winged Garutmãn. It is of One Existence that the wise ones speak in diverse ways, whether as Agni, or as Yama, or as Mãtarišvãn.)

In Bhagvat Purina

SB 4.6.42: Lord Brahma said: My dear Lord Shiva, I know that you are the controller of the entire material manifestation, the combination father and mother of the cosmic manifestation, and the Supreme Brahman beyond the cosmic manifestation as well. I know you in that way.

(4.7/50-54 The lord said: The supreme cause of the universe, I am also Brahma (the creator) and Lord Shiva (the destroyer of the universe).

4.1-30 the three Devas told Atri Muni, Dear brahmana you are perfect in your determination, and therefore as you have desired so it will happen, it will not happen otherwise. We are all the same person upon whom you were meditating, and therefore we have all come to you.

Followings, are prayers offered to Lord Shiva by prajapati

23. O lord, you are self-effulgent and supreme. You create this material world by your personal energy, and you assume the names Brahma, Visnu and Mahesvara when you act in creation, maintenance and annihilation.

24. You are the cause of all causes, the self-effulgent, inconceivable, Supreme Brahman. You manifest various potencies in this cosmic manifestation.

Vishupuran say this

5.33-46 yo harih sa siva saksad yah sivah sa svayam harih ye tayor bhedam ati sthan narak aya bhave narah.

Whoever is lord hari, he himself is lord shiva indeed any human being mistake both the lords to be different,he/she surely goes to hell

yatha siva mayo vishnuh

Sivasya hrdyam Visnur Visnoz ca hrdayam Sivah(Skanda puran)

Just as Lord Vishnu is pervaded by Lord Shiva,

Similarly, in Shivas heart Vishnu resides and Vishnus heart is abode of Shiva.

So I ask again who is being offended here, if it is an offence who is punishing who.

Is Krishna at fault, are Vedas wrong, is Brahma wrong, is Vyasdeva wrong in his writing the puranas?

Jai Shree Krishna

SHiva-Who is neither Jiva or Vishnu, in-between. But Shiva who is living on Sada-shiva-loka that is Vishnu-tattva. [Meaning no difference between THAT SHiva and Vishnu].

The first Shiva is demi-god, and is devotee of Vishnu. The 2nd one I mention is an expansion of Balarama. And Vishnu is expansion also of Balarama. [in Krishna-lila]. So Shiva in Kalisa [shiva-tattva], and Shambu [in sada-shiva-loka], thats the explanation. Sada-shiva many times appears in Krishna-lila. So actually nobody even Vishnu is independent of Krishna. They are all doing the 'work' of Krishna. The offence is to think [in Vaishnava terms] that Shiva or Sada-shiva is working independently from Krishna.

Krishna is Orginal Personality of Godhead. You can read about this in many of A.C Bhaktivedanta Swamiji Books. And also Lectures. I must chant now.!

Guest guest

Jai Ganesh

Thank you but still you have not answered, i put it again

Whose offence is it? Who actually is being offended here may I ask, is it Krishna is it Vedas

And puranas?

Jai Shree Krishna

Hare Krishna,

Not that the injunctions regarding the Ten Offenses to the Holy Name were actually spoken by Lord Krishna directly ...

They are listed in the Padma Purana - the vedic literature from which Sri Damodarataksam also comes. This Purana is said to "contain the glory of Srimad-Bhagavatam." Such literatures are authorized, as they glorify Lord Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

Here's a link for you to read the particular section from Padma Purana:

10 Offenses To The Holy Name

Guest guest

Jai Ganesh

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately i can not accept this. Padma puran has 5 Khand ie

Second among the eighteen Puranas, Padma Purana contains five parts- Srishtikhand, Bhumikhand, Swargkhand, Patalkhand and Uttarkhand.

your link takes me to Brahma Khand?

it is well known a lot of tempering has happened.

in any case you will have to explain various other puranas which speak differently.

Above all you will have to explain when Krishna says of Rudra i am Shankra, is he commiting this Apradh of yours? bearing in mind what Krishna says is infallible

Jai Shree Krishna

Many things in Gita.

Yoga Meditation for this Age:

http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?27000000037415

Krishna says He is Rudra meaning He acts like Rudra [which is His expansion]. Krishna also says He is water, meaning He creates the water. The offence is to think Krishna NAME is same as SHiva. That is the actual offence. Even Vishnu name is considered not equal to Krishna name. Krishna name is more powerful because He is Original Personality of Godhead as stated in the 1st line of Srimad Bhagavatam.

www.vedabase.net [bhagavatam 1st verse].

All Indians accept Bhagavatam, even Impersonalists and Mayavadis sometimes recite it. And to this day it is the shining light of India because it is so clear in it's message. When Impersonlists 'explain it' they do it for money etc. But when Devotees explain they make devotees [thats the money]. So to listen to others intrepretations is a bit dangerous. Almost all Vaishnava try to fast on Siva-ratri because we know His very dear to Krishna. You have to goto a real devotee to understand that, He can explain who SHiva is. ANyway I must go.

Guest guest

Jai Ganesh

Re

(Krishna says many things in Gita)

Yes and he means it.

Re

(Krishna says He is Rudra meaning He acts like Rudra [which is His expansion].

Read tha Gita first, Krishna is responding to Arjuns question

How may I know You, O Lord, by constant contemplation? In what form (of manifestation) are You to be thought of by me, O Lord? (10.17)

Act? Give me a break.

How can it be a naam apradh if I take Krishnas word as literly, Of rudra I am Shankra

Re

(Krishna also says He is water, meaning He creates the water.)

get your facts right he says I am the taste in water.

Re

( The offence is to think Krishna NAME is same as SHiva.)

Then blame Krishna, not those who accept his words.

Re

(That is the actual offence. Even Vishnu name is considered not equal to Krishna name. Krishna name is more powerful because He is Original Personality of Godhead as stated in the 1st line of Srimad Bhagavatam.)

So going by your logic to chant Vishnu would also be an offence is it?

Re

(All Indians accept Bhagavatam, even Impersonalists and Mayavadis sometimes recite it. And to this day it is the shining light of India because it is so clear in it's message.)

So what is the difficulty in accepting the following from the same puran

4.1-30 the three Devas told Atri Muni, Dear brahmana you are perfect in your determination, and therefore as you have desired so it will happen, it will not happen otherwise. We are all the same person upon whom you were meditating, and therefore we have all come to you.

SB 4.6.42: Lord Brahma said: My dear Lord Shiva, I know that you are the controller of the entire material manifestation, the combination father and mother of the cosmic manifestation, and the Supreme Brahman beyond the cosmic manifestation as well. I know you in that way.

Following are prayers offered to Lord Shiva by prajapati

23. O lord, you are self-effulgent and supreme. You create this material world by your personal energy, and you assume the names Brahma, Visnu and Mahesvara when you act in creation, maintenance and annihilation.

24. You are the cause of all causes, the self-effulgent, inconceivable, Supreme Brahman. You manifest various potencies in this cosmic manifestation.

Re

( When Impersonlists 'explain it' they do it for money etc. But when Devotees explain they make devotees [thats the money]. So to listen to others intrepretations is a bit dangerous.)

You are simply insinuating without any reason or rime this practice of selling the shastra is easily seen and by whom, big institutes are supported by it.

It is not about numbers that has nothing to do with any thing it is about imbibing the virtues and to live by it. Seek the self and you will find not by threat of punishment or so called offenses created by man to keep the numbers belonging in an institute.

Re

(Almost all Vaishnava try to fast on Siva-ratri because we know His very dear to Krishna. You have to goto a real devotee to understand that, He can explain who SHiva is.)

I do not need to know who Shiva is not by your standard anyway. Good for those who fast on the day of Sivratri, but I do not see any mention of fasting on an iskcon calendar. It is great how a most dear to Krishna, has been depicted on this holy day at Bhktivedanta manor many times by presenting a wonderful pastime of Siva fleeing a demon! A nice way to honor a great personality so deer to Krishna.

Don’t you think?

Om namah Sivaya

Jai Shree Krishna

Lord Brahma said: My dear Lord Siva, I know that you are the controller of the entire material manifestation, the combination father and mother of the cosmic manifestation, and the Supreme Brahman beyond the cosmic manifestation as well. I know you in that way.

__

Yes SHiva looks after material world as Shiva, and He is also Sada-shiva in Sada-shiva-loka.

__

I do not need to know who Shiva is not by your standard anyway. Good for those who fast on the day of Sivratri, but I do not see any mention of fasting on an iskcon calendar. It is great how a most dear to Krishna, has been depicted on this holy day at Bhktivedanta manor many times by presenting a wonderful pastime of Siva fleeing a demon! A nice way to honor a great personality so deer to Krishna.

Don’t you think?

__

Well we have a hard time understanding who Krishna is. DO you really feel it is good to try to understand Shiva? It all takes time. ! I am finding out new things. But the basic thing we are taught is Shiva [even as Sada-shiva] is devoted to serving Krishna. Even Vishnu serves Krishna. If you look at all there pastimes. There is no contradiction to what Sastra is saying. If you try to establish SHiva as some independent God, that is where Vaishnava have real problem. Because you try to 'make them one'. They are seperate entities. But at the same time one. Bye bye. I need to chant..

The 10 Defenses Against Committing the 10 Offenses <HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

In his book,

The Art of Chanting Hare Krishna,

HH Mahanidhi Swami lists

“ten actions… to protect one from the tendency to make offenses”

that originally appear in Srila Sacidananda Bhaktivinoda Thakur’s Harinama Cintamani.

I typed them up, in a slightly paraphrased form, when I first read Mahanidhi Swami’s book and thought I would reproduce them here as well.

The 10 Defenses

1. Serve those who serve the Lord, don’t criticize them out of envy or false ego.:pray:

2. Worship Krishna as the “source of all spiritual and material worlds”, “the ultimate beneficiary of all sacrifices and austerities, the Supreme Lord of all planets and demigods and the benefactor and well-wisher of all living entities.”

Show respect to demigods like Lord Siva or Ganesh and personalities like Hanuman as exalted devotees of Lord Krishna.:pray:

3. Show full respect to the spiritual master in thoughts, words and actions, considering him to be a representative of the Lord. Carry out the orders of the spiritual master with enthusiasm and attention to detail.:pray:

4. Honor (and study) the scriptures as the instructions of the Supreme Lord (dharmam tu saksad bhagavat pranitam) with the desire to understand how they are correct (not if they are correct).:pray:

5. Have faith that the Holy Name is not a mundane sound vibration, but is in fact transcendental sound, descending from the (pure) spiritual platform.:pray:

6. Have faith in the explanations and glorification of the Holy Name given by guru, sadhu and sastra. This knowledge is given by those who have experienced the glories of the Holy Name, and who have “seen the truth.”:pray:

7. Root out the desire to commit sins. A sin is an action that is not connected to the Supreme Lord; something done for the gratification of the senses. Acting only for the pleasure of the material body brings you further from practical realization of your factual identity as an eternal spirit soul (separate from the temporary material body). :pray:

8. Give up ritualistic pious activities. Transcend feelings of duty and obligation and perform all activities for the pleasure of Krishna.:pray:

9. Discuss the glories of the Holy Name with servants of the Lord who will relish hearing about it.:pray:

10. Chant attentively, absorbing your full consciousness in the transcendental vibration of the Holy Name.:pray:

Mahanidhi Swami also notes that one who cultivates the four qualities of humility, tolerance, pridelessness, and respect for others will be protected from committing the ten offenses.:pray:

Jai Ganesh

We need to understand an offence before we devise a defence. As presented the offence no 2 is nothing more then scare tactic, the padma puran itself would fall foul of the offence, if it were true, as presented by some. All you need to read is the Shiv Gita.

here is the Sanskrit original:

sivasya sri-visnor ya iha guna-namadi-sakalam

dhiya bhinnam pasyet sa khalu hari-namahita-karah

One who sees the difference between the names and qualities of Lord Shiva and names and qualities of Lord Vishnu is an antagonist of hari-nama"

Sri Bhagvat puran would confirms this, as well as Lord Krishna unequivocally declares of Rudra I am Shankar so it would be prudent as a defence not to offend either of them.

Jai Shree Krishna

Guest guest

Mathura - July 1992

Tridandisvami Sri Srimad Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja

[Question:] In the Sri Caitanya-caritamrta it says that Sri Guru is the embodiment of all gods. What does this mean?

[srila Narayana Maharaja:] He is sarva devamaya. Lord Brahma, Lord Visnu, Mahesh, Indra and all other demigods nourish the jivas. Brahma gives birth; Guru also gives birth. Lord Siva destroys; Guru also destroys. Guru washes away all obstacles to bhakti. He destroys your worldly desires, kama (lust), krodha (anger), lobha (greed), matsarya (envy), aparadha (offenses), and all other impediments. His words are like a knife, and this is written in the Srimad-Bhagavatam. Visnu nourishes; Guru also gives abundant nectar in the form of instructions, and thus nourishes all the devotees. There are hundreds of thousands of varieties of jivas and devotees. Guru gives many gifts to these various jivas. He gives vaidhi-bhakti, raganuga-bhakti and ragatmika-bhakti. Indra gives water; Guru also gives water – mercy water to all jivas. Guru is thus sarva devamaya – the embodiment of all gods.

Jai Ganesh

As I have asked before and I ask again who is being offended?

Bhagvan Krishna clearly says here bg5.15

nadatte kasyacit papam

na caiva sukrtam vibhuh

ajnanenavrtam jnanam

tena muhyanti cantata

Nor does the Supreme Spirit assume anyone's sinful or pious activities. Embodied beings, however, are bewildered because of the ignorance which covers their real knowledge.

Bhagvan is beyond the three gunas he can never be offended, what different does it make as to what name we call him, all we need to do is cry and the parents would jump to help,why would the Karuna sagar, the ocean of mercy, take our offence if it were an offence?

The Great rishi Valmilki, at the time named Ratnakar, could not pronounce Rama,so chanted backwards MA-RA. As the story goes, he gets absorbed in Samadhi, stays in one spot for a long time and ants build hill around him...being totally absorbed in bliss. When the sages return, they ask him to come out - He comes out fully enlightened (jivanmukti) and they give him his new name Valmilki from 'Valmika' meaning an ant-hill. Valmilki , the author of the Ramayana.

Jai Shree Ram

Jai Shive Shambhu

Jai Shree Krishna

...why would the Karuna sagar, the ocean of mercy, take our offence if it were an offence?

A Hindi poet has said:

duḥkha se saba hari bhaje

sukha se bhaje koī

sukha se agar hari bhaje

duḥkha kāthāń se haya

When one is distressed he goes to the church or temple to worship the Lord, but when opulent he forgets the Lord. Therefore, punishment by the Lord through material nature is necessary in human society, for without it men forget the supremacy of the Lord due to their dull, blunt intelligence.

(Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 9.10.14, purport)

Jai Ganesh

Pranam

yes it is very nice poem.

A Hindi poet has said:

duḥkha se saba hari bhaje

sukha se bhaje koī

sukha se agar hari bhaje

duḥkha kāthāń se haya

Meaning

When in distress everyone prays to Hari

When in comfort only some do

If in comfort, praying to Hari

Distress, how could it come.

When one is distressed he goes to the church or temple to worship the Lord, but when opulent he forgets the Lord. Therefore, punishment by the Lord through material nature is necessary in human society, for without it men forget the supremacy of the Lord due to their dull, blunt intelligence.

(Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 9.10.14, purport)

Yes Bhagvan Krishna says four types of man worship me, one of them being in distress.

Happiness and distress day and night heat and cold friends and foe such is the nature of this world of duality. I can not believe, the lord, in order to establish supremacy would punish, such an act only help to make one even more rebellious.(even if it were true why would he punish some one by calling his various different names.)

In this material world, karma takes care of our dealings, it spares none.

As long as we have desires and hate we will for ever remain in this karmic cycle so if there is an offence then it is our desires we need to check.

iccha-dvesa-samutthena

dvandva-mohena bharata

sarva-bhutani sammoham

sarge yanti parantapa

O scion of Bharata [Arjuna], O conqueror of the foe, all living entities are born into delusion, overcome by the dualities of desire and hate. bg7.27

Jai Shree Krishna