IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

Does thinking your not a devotee make you..

Rate this topic

PROGRESS?

But what about when you do this, does it give you a Ego, that Oh Prabhu `I am not a devotee!`.

How can you possibly avoid this pitfall. Any quotes or verses of the same would be wonderful. Accordingly [Guru/Sadhu/Sastra].

Sure we can think in a humble fashion like that - but I also think that it's good to think of oneself as a devotee - like me - I know I am the lowest class devotee there is - no one is lower than me - so even in that way ego can set in - I guess it's all a matter of perspective - I try not to think so much about me and what I am - I try to think about Prabhupada and Krishna.

Your question is an interesting question - self-esteem and self actualization are not false-ego expressions.

Of course we want to be humble - but we also want to 'be'...

I'll think more about your question and comment more directly later on...

Hey did I hear you call Leo Laporte on 'Call for Help' the other night - with the hard drive issue?

Hey did I hear you call Leo Laporte on 'Call for Help' the other night - with the hard drive issue?

Huh? No. Still wondering about this. 20-30 Gig web space. Maybe somebody give for free.

About my question, I was reading the qualities of devotees, I tried to measure myself. I guess nothing to feel bad about, if I am not a devotee. But then devotees who are don't? Some kind of Achintya-bheda-bheda? Nope. Cause we are all actually devotees [in the first place]. Why get an Ego OR how? If this is our actual position? BUT that's me and you. Add some people to the mix, then Ego COMES out. Not speculating with this, that's my perception from what I read from devotees.

How can you possibly avoid this pitfall. Any quotes or verses of the same would be wonderful. Accordingly [Guru/Sadhu/Sastra].

Krishna gives the definition of A REAL devotee as:

[ Ye Me Bhakta Janah Paartha Ne Me Bhaktas Cha Te Janah

Mad Bhaktaanaam Cha Ye Bhaktah Te Me Bhaktatamah Matah

"Those who worship Me directly are not real devotees; real devotees are those who are devoted to My devotees." - Adi Purana ]

So the real devotee is not the one who says that 'I am not a devotee!' he is actually one who is constantly serving/trying to serve the devotees with love and enthusiasm!

Guest guest

don't try to think about it too much. That's "paralysis by analysis." if we look at ourselves *realistically* with all our faults there is not ONE of us who can call ourselves "perfect devotee number 1." Let's just try to love and serve each other and think more of HOW to do that than pondering "am I doing good enough" till we freak. we all can always improve.

It's good to have the mindset that "Hey, look all these devotees past and present, doing so much more service than I've ever done. I need to improve to truly be a devotee", but using this "I am not a devotee" mantra continually without limits can eventually make one feel that they're unworthy of anything.

At one point, I was like "Oh, I can't lead this bhajan, I'm not worthy!" (even though devotees kindly offered), or "I can't do this service, I am so not qualified" (despite having the opportunity). Best to avoid this way of thinking. Just like the previous poster said, no "paralysis by analysis", and look at yourself realistically.