IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Visitor

direction when bowing in temple

Rate this topic

|| Ram ||

I regularly visit the Soho street temple. A question i have, why don't devotees face the Deities when bowing?? They bow facing perpendicular to where the Deities are. Is there a reason for this?

I always thought the temple was centered around the lovely murtis of Radha Krishna, so why would anyone want to bow down in the direction of a wall instead?

|| Ram ||

Why the left side? is there any scriptural sources stating this?

But some devotees have their right side facing the Deities! Theres pictures of different Avataras all the way round the temple so they would always be pointing their feet to someone! Plus god is Omni-present!

instead wouldnt it make sense to bow facing the deities because they are the 'local' point of focus at that location. They are the object of concentration during aartis etc. So why not bow facing them?

Guest guest

Yeah because hanuman and garuda face the sanctum we dont poit our feet to them. Yes God is everywhere so we face our feet to him all the time. but in the by doin dnadvat sideways we learn to be respectful to hanuman/Garuda as well as Krishna, because honour to Krishna's devotess is as important as Krishna. To offevt Garuda/hanuman is to offend krishna

Guest guest

Some mandirs have Vahana sanidhi (srine of vahana-Garuda/hanuman in vaishnava temples), some dont. Some have shrine of guru instead (like Bhaktivedanta manor). Never the less, we should always aknowlege the presence Garuda/hanuman anyway, regardelss of a shrine or not.

Guest guest

Hi I have also visit the Soho mandir regularly..

My thought is that at soho madir we have the glorius murti of Radhe krishna placed on the alter and opposite to the murti is the statue of guru prabhupada. Hence by directing dandvat at shree krishna we are directing our feet at the our guru. Which is considered very Disrespectful.

Therfore devotees do darshan sideways as a means of not disrespecting Prabupada.

my thoughts