IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Suicide

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I've heard of a Jain fasting technique over a period of 40 days at the end of which the person dies peacefully. Does anyone know about this? Is it really effective and can someone describe it in detail? Teh reason I want to know is because it is a novel method, in the sense it is diff. from other suicide techniques as there is no pain or violence involved.

I recommend freezing to death. It is also painless more or less), does not involve violence and is a whole lot faster... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

however, you will still have to become a ghost as a punishment for rejecting your body prematurely.

why would anyone wanted to kill themselves is beyond my comprehension. it only makes things worse....

Guest guest

Indian (not only Jains) heroes have died in that manner. I dont think it is all that bad. Otherwise, they would've committed 'regular' suicide. There is something spiritual about it.

Guest guest

however, you will still have to become a ghost as a punishment for rejecting your body prematurely.

The body is material. By rejecting the body, you reject material world and accept Krishna.

why would anyone wanted to kill themselves is beyond my comprehension. it only makes things worse....

This Jain technique is not exactly suicide. Also, Krishna states that if one thinks of him prior to death, one doesn't take birth again. So it is wise to end it before one becomes old and weak, by thinking of krishna.

"Krishna states that if one thinks of him prior to death, one doesn't take birth again. So it is wise to end it before one becomes old and weak, by thinking of krishna."

Let Him make the decision when to call you home. This body is His and you are a mere servant.

We practice non-violence which includes non-violence to these bodies that we have been placed into. To purposely create pain and death to these bodies is not only violent, inconsiderate and offensive to ourselves but also to Lord Krsna who knows everything all bodies experience.

Lord Krsna speaks against eating too little to substain ourselves in Bhagavad Gita Chapter Six.

So it is wise to end it before one becomes old and weak, by thinking of krishna

Concoction! We leave these bodies when Lord Krsna decides what form we are to take next. People who commit suicide take the chance of ending up as formless ghosts.

"Thou shalt not kill." This means any type of body whether it be your own or someone else.

Guest guest

You describe is not suicide, I suppose. It is a religious observance (Vratam) known as Sallekhana. It is a purification technique, where a spiritual aspirant starves for several days and at the end of it, his every hair is pulled out by people in a congregation. This is very severe test of endurance. Thereafter, the person becomes a jain monk!

I have heard of jain monks giving up their lives by this process of starvation, and that is probably what the original poster is talking about.

A google search confirms this e.g. http://www.jainworld.com/education/seniors/senles15.htm

It is important to remember:

Bhagavad-Gita 17.5-6

Those who undergo severe austerities and penances not recommended in the scriptures, performing them out of pride, egoism, lust and attachment, who are impelled by passion and who torture their bodily organs as well as the Supersoul dwelling within are to be known as demons.

and so such a procedure must be a) authorized by God as given in scriptures, and b) must be free from pride, ego, lust and attachment