IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sunanda

self made deities

Rate this topic

I remember a particular self-made (not by me) deity that was very ferocious. It was, and probably still is, in a cave known as siddha gumpha a few hours from here (Bhadrak, Orissa). Siddha gumpha means "cave of the siddha" or one who attains mystic siddhi. No one really goes there anymore, as it is a dangerous place with many wild animals. After sunset bears wander around and will attack anyone who comes, and there are many jackals that start screaming and running around in packs as soon as the sun begins to set. Not to mention the countless snakes. When I went last time there was a large "Chandan Munda" snake (not sure what you call it in English. Sitting at the entrance of the cave, looking completely still and dead. Everyone thought it must be dead, but was too scared to go near. The Chandan Munda (sandal head) snake has a very poisonous bite that will kill you painfully over several weeks. Finally someone decided to take a long stick and touch it to see if it was actually dead. When they touched it, it moved as fast as lightning, zipping away into a crack. That already was enough to scare us off, but we decided that it was "gone" and it was now safe. But just three or four feet inside we saw the discarded skin of a gigantic cobra. It was huge. Luckily it was only the skin, but where there is the cobra skin, there is also the cobra nest. So we all decided it was a mistake to go inside any further.

Inside this cave a siddha used to stay all alone, miles away from anyone. And bears, jackals, tigers and snakes would not bother him at all. Villagers have seen him walking by with bears right next to him. These are huge ferocious bears, not what you see in the zoo. They have razor sharp claws and will cut your stomach open if they catch you. Many villagers are killed by them each year when they go outside to use the bathroom in the night, and accidentally bump into one of the bears. In these villages no one walks outside after 6pm for fear of the bears.

Anyway, this siddha baba used to be seen around with these bears and they would never bother him. Inside his cave, there is a stone which he took and scratched a deity of Chandi onto it. If you see it, it is really a feroscious deity, amazingly detailed. And when I say ferocious, I really mean it. The look of the face is really scary.

The baba isn't there anymore. A couple of years ago he disappeared. Some say he left to another cave, some say he died. No one knows for certain. But one thing, when a baba scratches their own deity of chandi on a stone for worship, you can know that they know something.

Guest guest

To each their own place of residence.

The moral of this story is be sure to knock before you enter someones abode.