IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

How to Remain Always in the Company of His Divine Grace

Rate this topic

Lord Jagannatha has given you varieties of extraordinary and wonderful prasada, such as khichuri, cake and condensed milk. Therefore, take all of this prasada till you are filled up to the neck and chant "Hari, Hari!" In such a transcendental atmosphere ignorance and sin cannot remain.

(Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura)

WORSHIP ACCORDING TO THELORD’S MOOD

His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta

Swami Prabhupada

These comparative studies on the life of Krishna and Ramachandra are very intricate, but the basic principle is that Ramachandra appeared as an ideal king and Krishna appeared as the Supreme Personality of Godhead, although there is no difference between the two. A similar example is Lord Chaitanya. He appeared as a devotee, and not as the Supreme Personality of Godhead, although He is Krishna Himself. We should accept the Lord’s mood in particular appearances, and we should worship Him in that mood. Lord Chaitanya, because He is Krishna Himself, is sometimes worshiped in the same manner as Krishna. But Krishna was in the role of enjoyer, and Lord Chaitanya is in the role of being enjoyed. So, the party known as Gauranga Nagari is considered to be deviated from pure devotional service, because of giving Lord Chaitanya the same facility as Krishna, which He did not like. Our service mood should be compatible to the attitude of the Lord. Not that we should overlap the attitude of Krishna to Lord Chaitanya, or Lord Chaitanya to Krishna, or Krishna to Ramachandra, or Ramachandra to Krishna.

— Letter to Satsvarupa Das. 16 June 1968.

ONE SERIOUSLY EAGER TO ACHIEVE TRANSCENDENTAL PERFECTION MUST EAT KRSNA PRASADA

The River Ganges flowing from the heavenly planets is full of golden lotus flowers, and we, the residents of those planets, eat the stems of the flowers. Thus we are very beautiful, more so than the inhabitants of any other planet. This is due to the law of cause and effect, for if one eats food in the mode of goodness, the mode of goodness increases the beauty of his body.

One's bodily luster and beauty, one's constitution, one's activities and one's qualities all depend on the law of cause and effect. There are three qualities in material nature, and as stated in the Bhagavad-gita (13.22) one takes birth in a good or bad family according to his previous association with the qualities of material nature. Therefore one seriously eager to achieve transcendental perfection, Krsna consciousness, must eat Krsna prasada. Such food is satvika, or in the material quality of goodness, but when offered to Krsna it becomes transcendental. Our Krsna consciousness movement distributes Krsna prasada, and those who eat such transcendental food are sure to become devotees of the Lord. This is a very scientific method, as stated in this verse from Nala-naishadha (3.17):If in all one's activities he strictly adheres to the mode of goodness, he will certainly develop his dormant Krsna consciousness and ultimately become a pure devotee of Lord Krsna.

Unfortunately at the present moment the bodily constitutions of the leaders of society, especially the governmental leaders, are polluted. As described in Srimad-Bhagavatam (12.1.40): Such leaders have no chance to purify their eating. Politicians meet together and exchange good wishes by drinking liquor, which is so polluted and sinful that naturally drunkards and meat-eaters develop a degraded mentality in the mode of ignorance. The processes of eating in different modes are explained in the Bhagavad-gita, wherein it is stated that those who eat rice, wheat, vegetables, milk products, fruit and sugar are situated in the elevated quality of goodness. Therefore if we want a happy and tranquil political situation, we must select leaders who eat Krsna prasada. Otherwise the leaders will eat meat and drink wine, and thus they will be unreformed, and devoid of spiritual behavior. In other words, they will be mlecchas and yavanas, or men who are unclean in their habits. Through taxation, such men exploit the citizens as much as possible, and in this way they devour the citizens of the state instead of benefiting them. We therefore cannot expect a government to be efficient if it is headed by such unclean mlecchas and yavanas.

(C.C.Antya 1.92)

THE MEDICINE AND THE DIET

Young man: Do you think that drugs would help attain the Krsna consciousness?

Prabhupada: It is nonsense. It will not help. We don’t allow any kind of intoxication.

Young man: Does it interfere with the soul?

Prabhupada: Yes. It is artificial. You are already artificially complicated by your body, because you have got this body. And you want to make yourself more complicated? And do you mean to say that is advancement? You have to get free. So just like in order to get free from a type of disease one has to take proper medicine and proper diet, similarly, in order to get out of this material contamination, you have to chant Hare Krsna. This is the medicine. And you have to take Krsna prasadam, the diet. The disease will be cured. Simple method. And it is practically seen. When these boys came to me first, from that time to this time, their face has changed so much. And what I am giving them? These fruits, Krsna prasada, that’s all, and chanting. Their mind, their face, their activity, their habit, their character—everything has changed. But what is the process? This medicine and this diet. That’s all. There is no surgical operation. It is very simple. You take to it and you see the result.

So advancement in self-realization means purification from material contamination. That is real advancement. This is practical. Now, how practical it is? In your country, smoking, drinking, taking tea, and keeping boyfriend, girlfriend, liquor, meat-eating, they are common affairs. How they have avoided all these things within a very short time? None of them are associating with me more than one year, and just see their character. It is so practical. You cannot induce them even to smoke. We don’t say that you go on with all nonsense, at the same time you become spiritually advanced. We don’t talk all this nonsense. There must be a practical exhibition that one is advanced in spiritual consciousness. All good qualities will develop. That is spiritual advancement. That is the test. But it may be due to my past habit I may sometimes commit a mistake, I may fall down. But Krsna says, even if he falls down sometimes out of ignorance, still, he’ll become purified very soon. The process is so nice. Just like a fan is moving then turn the switch off. Still you will see the fan is moving, but rest assured it will stop because the switch is off. Similarly, a person who has taken to Krsna consciousness, his material life’s switch is off immediately. And even though it is seen it is moving, it will stop very soon. So this Krsna consciousness movement means to turn off the switch of material existence immediately. It is so nice.

(Class by Srila Prabhupada Oct. 11, 1968)

MAKE A VOW THAT "I SHALL NOT EAT ANYTHING WHICH IS NOT OFFERED TO KRSNA"

"In the Bhagavad-gita the Lord directly states that He accepts the vegetable foodstuffs from the hands of a pure devotee. Therefore a human being should not only become a strict vegetarian, but he should also become a devotee of the Lord and offer to the Lord all his food and only then partake of the prasadam, or mercy of God. Such a devotee can properly discharge the duty of human life. Those who do not do so are eating only sins and thus will be subjected to the different types of distress which are the result of the various sins.

Our conditioned life is so situated that in every step we are committing some sins without knowing, because we are born ignorant. Every living entity is born a fool. Otherwise, what is the necessity of so many educational institutions? It is stated in the Srimad-Bhagavatam that this foolishness will continue so long as one does not come to the platform of understanding self-realization. Otherwise, all these universities and institutions for imparting knowledge are a continuation of that same ignorance and foolishness. Unless one comes to the point of understanding, “What I am, what is God, what is this world, what is my relationship...?” Unless these questions come into one’s heart, and there is no proper answer, he continues to be foolish like an animal, and he is subjected to different species of life, transmigrating from one body to another. This is ignorance. So if I do not change for the better, then my life is very risky. Suppose a healthy man is in the society of contamination, is not his life very risky? He may be contaminated and infected by disease any moment. So this ignorance should be dissipated. Here it is said that such a devotee can properly discharge his duty of human life. Those who do not do so are eating only sins.

The difference of cooking here in this temple and in an ordinary house is that in an ordinary house they’re cooking sins. The cooking appears the same, but here there is no sin, because it is being cooked for Krsna. Beyond this field of activities, Krsna consciousness, everything is within the laws of nature, generally, you are being implicated in sinful activities. And those who are little more cautious, they avoid sinful activities, they do pious activities. But even in pious activities, one is implicated.

So we should be careful not to eat anything which is not offered to Krsna. That should be our determination. We cannot purchase things from the market and eat. No. That is not possible. We cannot eat. We can simply eat such things which are offered to the Deity, Krsna. Even if we have committed some sin, by eating this prasadam we counteract it. How is this? That is also stated in the Bhagavad-gita. [bg. 18.66] “If you surrender unto Me, then I’ll give you protection from all sinful reactions.” So if you make it a vow that “I shall not eat anything which is not offered to Krsna,” that means surrender. You surrender to Krsna, that “My dear Lord, I shall not eat anything which is not offered to You.” That vow is surrender. And because there is surrender, you are protected from sinful reaction."

(Class by Srila Prabhupada May 4, 1970)

My dear Lord, You are always transcendentally situated on the other side of the river of death, but because of the reactions of our own activities, we are suffering on this side. Indeed, we have fallen into this river and are repeatedly suffering the pains of birth and death and eating horrible things. Now kindly look upon us—not only upon me but also upon all others who are suffering—and by Your causeless mercy and compassion, deliver us and maintain us.

(Prahlada Maharaja SB 7.9.41)

The Glories Of HDG Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaj

BY GOKUL

BOSTON, USA, Sep 16 (VNN) — Sri Sri Guru Gaurangau Jayatah!

A Remembrance by His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Ballabh Tirtha Maharaj

When I was in Vrindavan at Sri Chaitanya Gaudiya Math with my revered Gurudeva Parampujyapada Srila Bhakti Dayita Madhava Goswami Maharaj, we heard that a godbrother of our Gurudeva, Parampujyapada Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaj, was staying at the Sri Sri Radha-Damodar temple. As he was a godbrother of our Gurudeva and a disciple of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Goswami Thakur, he was naturally the object of great regard and reverence. Thinking, "I shall go there and pay my obeisances to him," I made my way to the Sri Sri Radha-Damodar temple. Upon meeting him, I offered my humble obeisances and he then began to speak. Showing me his writings, he said, "I want to publish a monthly magazine, Back to Godhead. Please go through my writings." The printing, by Vrindavan Press, was very indistinct. Because it was his order, I tried to go through it. When I had gone through the text he had given me, he said, "I have written other articles. You should also go through those." He did not mention at that time that he had the desire to go to foreign countries to preach. The only thing that he said was that I should go through his writings. After that I prayed out loud to him, "Will you not come to our Math? Our Gurudeva is there. Please come and see him." He immediately agreed, saying, "Yes, I will come tomorrow to see your Gurudeva."

The very next day he came to our Math and entered the room of our Gurumaharaj. I remained outside during the discussion of these two godbrothers. Only Swami Maharaj and our Gurudeva were there. Neither I nor anyone else knows what subject they might have been discussing. Swami Maharaj came out of the room after about half an hour or so to go back to his temple. At the gate of our Math, he suddenly called me and said, "You see, I have the desire to go outside India to spread the message of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Will you accompany me? Will you go with me?" Because at that time I was the Secretary of Sri Chaitanya Gaudiya Math institution and had been given enormous responsibilities by our Gurudeva, I remained silent. Swami Maharaj is guru---shiksha guru---and our guru is also guru---diksha guru---what could I say? Therefore, I remained silent. Finally I said that I was the Secretary of that institution and that Gurudeva had given me many responsibilities. With urgent work to do, how could I leave at that time? He was disappointed as he could not find anyone to assist him.

DO NOT WORRY, I SHALL NEVER LEAVE YOU

...You do not require to worry as I shall never leave you, you are my disciple and I am your spiritual master, so there is no question, as long as you follow my instructions, that I shall ever leave you. Just remember under all circumstances to chant sixteen rounds of japa daily, offer your prasadam to Krsna, and do all of the things which you already know, as you are a senior disciple. These things will protect you under all conditions, without any doubt...

...I thank you very much and all the devotees for offering me a garland daily as you were doing when I was physically present. If a disciple is constantly engaged in carrying out the instructions of the Spiritual Master he is supposed to be constantly in company with his Spiritual Master. This is called Vaniseva. So there are two kinds of service to the Spiritual Master, one is called vaniseva and the other is called vapuseva. Vaniseva means as above mentioned, executing the instructions, and vapuseva means physically or personally rendering service. So in the absence of physical presentation of the Spiritual Master the vaniseva is more important. My Spiritual Master, Sarasvati Gosvami Thakura, may appear to be physically not present, but still because I try to serve His instruction I never feel separated from Him. I expect that all of you should follow these instructions...

...The eternal bond between disciple and spiritual master begins from the first day he hears. Just like my spiritual master. In 1922 he said in our first meeting, you are educated boys, why don't you preach this cult. That was the beginning, now it is coming to fact. Therefore the relationship began from that day. If you think of me and work for me, then I am in your heart. If you love somebody he is in your heart. It is common thing, everyone understands it. If I hate somebody or if I love somebody he is also in my heart. Therefore simply by hating Krishna he gets salvation, like Kamsa. So if you want to hate, hate Krishna. There is no difference between me and my picture. Therefore we should honor and keep pictures in that spirit. If we throw pictures this way and that way, that is offensive. The name and picture are as good as the person in spiritual world. In the material world either picture or person, everything is illusion. The spiritual master accepts the sinful activities of his disciples from the first initiation. I may give initiation very easily, but what can I do? I am prepared to go to hell for service of Lord Caitanya.

(Letters from Srila Prabhupada Sept 21,1972, Aug. 22,1970, Sept. 7, 1972)

By the grace of my spiritual master, Srila Prabhupada, I have obtained everything, although I have nothing to give in return. He has purchased me with his love and kindness, and I have no desire aside from his pleasure. My he confer upon us all his blessings to follow in his footsteps and execute his instructions, that again one day we may walk by his side in the groves of Vrndavana and breath the fragrance of his association. (Vyasa Puja book, 1978)

"Now as far as amrtam, nectar, is concerned, any narration or statement concerning Krsna is just like nectar. And this nectar can be perceived by practical experience. Modern stories, fiction and histories are different from the transcendental pastimes of the Lord in that one will tire of hearing mundane stories, but one never tires of hearing about Krsna. It is for this reason only that the history of the whole universe is replete with references to the pastimes of the incarnations of Godhead. For instance, the Puranas are histories of bygone ages that relate the pastimes of the various incarnations of the Lord. In this way the reading matter remains forever fresh, despite repeated readings."

(Bhagavad-gita As It Is, 10.18, Purport)

PRASAD IS ALWAYS TRANSCENDENTAL, IT CAN NEVER BE CONTAMINATED

Again Nityananda Prabhu jokingly said, "My belly is not yet filled up. Please take away Your food. I have not taken the least of it." After saying this, Nityananda Prabhu took a handful of rice and threw it on the floor in front of Him, as if He were angry. When two or four pieces of the thrown rice touched His body, Advaita Acharya began to dance in various ways with the rice still stuck to His body. When the rice thrown by Nityananda Prabhu touched His body, Advaita Acharya thought Himself purified by the touch of remnants thrown by Paramahamsa Nityananda. Therefore He began dancing.

Advaita Acharya jokingly said, "My dear Nityananda, I invited You, and indeed I have received the results. You have no fixed caste or dynasty. By nature You are a madman. To make Me a madman like Yourself, You have thrown the remnants of Your food at Me. You did not even fear the fact that I am a brahmana."

The remnants of food left by a pure Vaisnava are called maha-maha-prasada. This is completely spiritual and is identified with Lord Vishnu. Such remnants are not ordinary. The spiritual master is to be considered on the stage of paramahamsa and beyond the jurisdiction of the varnashrama institution. The remnants of food left by the spiritual master and similar paramahamsas or pure Vaisnavas are purifying. When an ordinary person touches such prasada, his mind is purified, and his mind is raised to the status of a pure brahmana. The behavior and statements of Advaita Acharya are meant for the understanding of ordinary people who are unaware of the strength of spiritual values, not knowing the potency of food left by the bona fide spiritual master and pure Vaisnavas.

A pure Vaisnava, or a person on the paramahamsa stage, accepts the remnants of food (maha-prasada) as spiritual. He does not consider it to be material or sense gratificatory. He accepts maha-prasada not as ordinary dhal and rice but as spiritual substance. To say nothing of the remnants of food left by a pure Vaisnava, prasada is never polluted even if it is touched by the mouth of a chandala. Indeed, it retains its spiritual value. Therefore by eating or touching such maha-prasada, a brahmana is not degraded. There is no question of being polluted by touching the remnants of such food. Actually, by eating such maha-prasada, one is freed from all the contaminations of the material condition. That is the verdict of the shastra. In the Brhad-vishnu Purana it is stated that one who considers maha-prasada to be equal to ordinary rice and dhal certainly commits a great offense. Ordinary edibles are touchable and untouchable, but there are no such dualistic considerations where prasada is concerned. Prasada is transcendental, and there are no transformations or contaminations, just as there are no contaminations or transformations in the body of Lord Vishnu Himself.

(CC Madhya-lila 3:93-99)

SIMPLY FOR THE PLEASURE OF KRSNA

...Regarding your question about why we do not eat meat and yet we eat plant life, the answer is that we do everything as Krishna recommends. Everything we eat is first offered to Lord Krishna, and because Krishna does not eat meat, therefore we also do not eat meat. The fruits, grains, and vegetables which we offer to the Lord are not caused any suffering by our offering them to Krishna. Rather they are greatly benefited because to be offered for the pleasure of the Lord will grant for the living entity within the plant body certain liberation in the near future. Everything that we do in Krishna Consciousness is ultimately beneficial to all living creatures because we are working under the recommendations of the Lord Himself who is the well-wisher of all His part and parcel children. I hope this will sufficiently clear up this matter for you...

Grow some food grains, keep some cows, take the milk, and just prepare nice foodstuff and eat. Keep Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Deity, at home, and Krsna is pleased even you simply offer little fruit and little flower. Krsna doesn’t want anything else. Krsna does not say, “Give Me meat. Give Me eggs. Give Me fish.” No. If you are devotee, you cannot take anything which is not offered to Krsna. So I should offer to Krsna what He wants. Just like if you want to offer me something, so you inquire " What do you like?” So similarly, if you invite Krsna to live in your house or temple, then you should ask Krsna, “Sir, what can I offer You?” Krsna said “You give Me vegetables, flowers, fruits, and some liquid, water or milk.” Krsna can eat everything, He’s all powerful, but He does not. Krsna, therefore says, “Give Me this: food grains, milk, or fruits and flowers.” Prepared or unprepared, it doesn’t matter. Krsna wants that.

Sometimes they come forward to fight with us: “Why we should be vegetarian?” We have no quarrel with the nonvegetarian. Let them eat at their own risk. But because we recommend, “You take Krsna's prasadam,” therefore we must be satisfied with these vegetables, flowers, fruits, liquid, nothing more than that. But unfortunately, instead of taking shelter of Krsna, we have taken shelter of lusty desire. This is demonic. These materialistic persons, demons, their desires are never fulfilled—increasing, increasing, increasing, more, more more. So that means we are becoming implicated more and more. The business of human life is how to become free from this material encagement, but the demons, instead of becoming free from material entanglement, they become more and more involved. Instead of taking shelter of these lusty desires, you take shelter of Krsna. Then your life is successful. Thank you very much. (Class by Srila Prabhupada Feb. 6, 1975 in Hawaii)

O brothers! One day at Shantipur in Sri Advaita's house, Lord Caitanya and Lord Nityananda were seated for lunch. Lord Caitanya tasted the green leafy vegetables (shak) and said, O My devotees, this shak is so delicious! Lord Krsna has certainly tasted it. At the taste of such shak as this, love of Krsna arises in the heart. In such love of God you should taste this prasad. Giving up all materialistic conceptions and taking the Lord's prasad, all of you just chant "Hari! Hari!" (Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura)

The Order of Caitanya Mahaprabhu- You Must Propagate Krishna Consciousness!

This is Krsna consciousness movement. You cannot sit idly to show your gorgeousness in a secluded place, imitating Haridasa Thakura: Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna. No. You have to preach. That is the order of Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

Arrival Address

--

Vrndavana, September 3, 1976

Prabhupada: So here is a verse, number fifteen, from Bhagavad-gita, Seventh Chapter:

na mam duskrtino mudhah

prapadyante naradhamah

mayayapahrta-jnana

asuram bhavam asritah

[bg. 7.15]

So we have made this verse a standard of examination. We haven't got to do anything. Everything is there, because Krsna is the original guru. Sisyas te 'ham sadhi mam prapannam. Arjuna, in the parampara system, is teaching us how to surrender to Krsna. So this is the qualification how to advance in spiritual consciousness. People are suffering. For want of spiritual consciousness, they are living like animal, dehatma-buddhih.

yasyatma-buddhih kunape tri-dhatuke

sva-dhih kalatradisu bhauma ijyadhih

yat-tirtha-buddhih salile na karhicij

janesv abhijnesu sa eva go-kharah

[sB 10.84.13]

Go-kharah means animals, cows and asses. Anyone who is thinking, "I am this body," he is animal. This is the verdict. Actually he is animal. If the dog is thinking, "I am dog," and if some gentleman is thinking, "I am Indian,I am American," or "I am Englishman," where is the difference? To identify the body? There is no difference.

So on this platform of bodily concept of life, we remain animal. And to raise from that animal platform to the platform of our spiritual consciousness, that is the business of human life. Athato brahma jijnasa. This is the Vedanta-sutra. If we do not inquire about Brahman in this human form of life, which is obtained after many, many births... Bahunam sambhavante. Many, many millions of years and millions of births. Tatha dehantara-praptir. We change our body, but because we are on the animal platform, we cannot understand that we have to change our body. So Krsna personally comes, because we are part and parcel of Krsna. Mamaivamso jiva-bhutah [bg. 15.7]. He's more anxious for us because we are suffering in this material world under bodily concept of life. That is His first instruction. Tatha dehantara-praptir. We have to understand that we have to change this body. Don't be happy because you have got by karma a comfortable body. No body is comfortable. It is temporary, even it is comfortable. Even if you have got a very nice body, American body or European body, it may appear to be very nice, better than the Indian body—but that is not permanent. You'll have to change it. That is spiritual consciousness.

So we must be prepared. This is glanir. On the platform of bodily concept of life, whatever we are doing, that is all defeat. Parabhavas tavad abodha-jato yavan na jijnasata atma-tattvam. In the bodily concept of life, whatever we are doing, simply defeat. We are thinking, "I'm making very good progress." Rascaldom. There is no progress. Unless you become inquisitive, athato brahma jijnasa, there is no progress. That has been taught by our acaryas. Sanatana Gosvami, when he approached..., Sanatana Gosvami approached Lord Caitanya, his first question was... He was prime minister, he was a very big man, but he approached Caitanya Mahaprabhu to inquire, "Who am I?" Ke ami. That was his inquiry. Ke ami kene amaya jare tapa-traya, apani kaha prabhu kiser hita haya.

So this is the process, to know of oneself, not to be bewildered for the temporary, bodily comforts. This is the instruction of the whole Vedic literature. Prahlada Maharaja also said to Lord Nrsimhadeva, soce tato vimukha-cetasa maya-sukhaya bharam vimudhan. Maya-sukhaya bharam udvahato vimudhan [sB 7.9.43], that those who are engaged for this temporary maya-sukha, they are vimudhan. The same thing is explained here: na mam duskrtino mudhah [bg. 7.15]. So those who are after this material happiness, they have been always described in all sastras, and Krsna is personally describing: mudha. Vimudhan. If we want to remain a vimudhan and suffer this material existence, that is our not very sign of good intelligence. Everyone should try to be intelligent enough what is the goal of life, what is to be done in this human form of life. So our Krsna consciousness movement is the supreme welfare activities in the world, because we are trying to stop the life of hogs and dogs. Nayam deho deha-bhajam nrloke kastan kaman arhate vid-bhujam ye [bhag. 5.5.1]. Vid-bhujam, the stool-eaters, hogs. What is their business? We have seen in Vrndavana also there are many hogs. Day and nights searching after stool, and eating, and getting some strength and fat, then sense enjoyment, never mind whether it is mother, sister or daughter. This hogs' and dogs' life should be stopped. It is not possible for everyone to stop, but those who are intelligent, fortunate, as Caitanya Mahaprabhu said,

ei rupe brahmanda bhramite kona bhagyavan jiva,

guru-krsna-krpa paya bhakti-lata-bija

[Cc. Madhya 19.151]

So you are all fortunate that you have taken to this Krsna consciousness, bhakti-lata-bija. And proceed according to the principles. And the first principle is tad-vijnanartham sa gurum evabhigacchet [MU 1.2.12]. This is the first principle. Adau gurvasrayam. That is the first principle. And in the Vedas also it is said that,

yasya deve para bhaktir

yatha deve tatha gurau

tasyaite kathita hy arthah

prakasante...

[sU 6.23]

Vedic knowledge is revelation. Vedic knowledge is not understood by so-called mundane scholarship, by reading grammar. No. Vedic knowledge is possible to be understood by a person who has got unflinching faith in the bona fide guru. Guru means representative of Krsna—Krsna and His representative. We have repeatedly discussed this fact that guru means the bona fide servant of Krsna. Guru does not mean a magician or jugglery. That is not guru. Guru means, it is explained by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu very easily, how to become guru. He has asked everyone, especially those who are born in India, bharata bhumite manusya-janma haila yara [Cc. Adi 9.41]. Especially. Because we Indians, bharatiya, we have got facilities to become guru of the whole world. We have got the facility. Because here we have got the literatures, Vedic literatures, especially the Bhagavad-gita, which is spoken by Krsna Himself. If we try to understand what is the aim of life and preach all over the world, then you become guru. And if we want to cheat others in the name of so-called yogis, swami, scholar, that will not make you guru. Guru... Caitanya Mahaprabhu says you become, all Indians, all Bharatiyas, guru. Amara ajnaya guru hana tara ei desa [Cc. Madhya 7.128]. Wherever you are. And how shall I become guru? Yare dekha tare kaha krsna upadesa. That's all.

So this Krsna consciousness movement means to follow the instruction of Caitanya Mahaprabhu. And Caitanya Mahaprabhu's instruction is this, to preach Krsna-upadesa. And this is Krsna upadesa: na mam duskrtino mudhah prapadyante naradhamah [bg. 7.15]. This is not our manufactured words; it is Krsna-upadesa, that "Anyone who is not surrendered to Me, duskrtina, he is immediately classified into four groups." What are they? Duskrtina, mudhah, naradhamah, mayayapahrta-jnana, asuram bhavam asritah. So it is a very simple thing. Who is a mudha? If one does not surrender to Krsna, if one does not understand what Krsna, he is either duskrtina, means sinful; mudha, rascal; naradhama, lowest of the mankind; and mayayapahrta-jnana, and his so-called education and degrees are useless because real knowledge is taken away from him. Mayayapahrta-jnana. So there is no need of fighting by... But we can understand what are these people in general. They are within these four groups of men. So we have to face them. Our Krsna consciousness movement is facing these rascals, these duskrtinas, these naradhamas, and to request them to become Krsna conscious. This is Krsna consciousness movement. You cannot sit idly to show your gorgeousness in a secluded place, imitating Haridasa Thakura: Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna. No. You have to preach. That is the order of Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Amara ajnaya guru hana tara ei desa [Cc. Madhya 7.128]. That is really following the Caitanya Mahaprabhu's... Not to imitate Haridasa Thakura. You can... Even you do that very nicely, that is for your safety. Supposing that you are doing nicely, but that is for your safety. But one who is facing dangerous position for others' benefit, they are very quickly recognized by Krsna.

na ca tasman manusyesu

kascin me priya-krttamah

[bg. 18.69]

ya idam paramam guhyam

mad-bhaktesv abhidhasyati

[bg 18.68]

So if you face... Just like fighting soldiers, they are facing danger for the country. They are recognized. Similarly, those who are preachers, on behalf of Krsna preaching people to take to Krsna consciousness, they are great soldiers.

So I am very happy that you Europeans and Americans especially, you are helping me. So continue this process, and that is the very easy way to be recognized by Krsna. Because He says, na ca tasman manusyesu kascin me priya-krttamah [bg. 18.69]. Who? Who is preaching this Krsna consciousness. So I thank you very much that you have come here in Vrndavana, and you are traveling, you are preaching. So let us dedicate this life for preaching Krsna consciousness all over the world. Never mind we die by preaching. Still, it will be glorious.

Thank you very much. (end)

Krsna is the supreme witness sitting within your heart. He notes down what you are thinking and what you are doing. He also gives facility. If you want to do something to satisfy your senses, Krsna gives the facility for that action. That is stated in the Bhagavad-gita. Sarvasya caham sannivistah: 'I am sitting in everyone's heart.' Mattah smrtir jnanam apohanam ca: 'From Me come remembrance, knowledge and truthfulness.'

In this way, Krsna gives us a chance. If you want Krsna, then He will give you a chance to have Him, and if you don't want Krsna, then He will give you a chance to forget Him. If you want to enjoy life forgetting Krsna, forgetting God, then Krsna will give you all facility so that you can forget, and if you want to enjoy life with Krsna consciousness, then Krsna will give you the chance to make progress in Krsna consciousness. That is up to you."

(Science of Self-Realization, Chapter 7)

OFFER TO KRSNA ACCORDING TO YOUR MEANS

Here Krsna is present in this temple. He has become very handy so that we can offer our dress, offer our foodstuff, whatever we can. If we actually want to serve according to our means, Krsna is ready to accept our service. But you cannot think that “Without my service, Krsna is starving.” No, He’s always complete in Himself. He doesn’t require our help.

But if we serve Krsna, then we become benefited. If you offer respect to Krsna and Krsna's representative, then you’ll be respectful. If you don’t want to show respect to Krsna and His representative, then you’ll be derided. If you decorate Krsna very nicely, then you will be also seen as very much decorated. Practically we see, it is no fable, we are offering Krsna nice foodstuff, so we are eating this nice prasadam which we never dreamt of in our life. Because we are offering to Krsna, we become so fortunate to taste this nice prasadam. It is not that if you give a nice plate of foodstuff, Krsna eats everything, and you simply see the empty dish. No. Krsna eats and again keeps it as it is for us. That is Krsna.

He is not hungry, but whatever you have offered, He has eaten. Just like Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Everyone was offering so many things. Govinda one day informed Caitanya Mahaprabhu, “Sir, people bring so many nice foodstuffs for You. It is stocked. Practically the whole room is filled up, and when they ask me ‘Whether Caitanya Mahaprabhu has eaten my offering?’ I say ‘Yes, yes, He has eaten.’ So I have to tell so many lies, and the stock is there. You do not eat.” So Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, “All right, bring them here.” So one after one, the whole room was finished. Caitanya Mahaprabhu ate everything. Then He asked him, “Bring more.” “No, Sir, only the empty pots are there.” “All right, stop.” So this is Krsna. If you offer Him huge foodstuffs, He can eat. And if you can offer Him a little flower, fruit and water, with that also, He is satisfied. So everyone should offer according to his means, and Krsna is ready to accept--not that you have to become a very rich man and have to offer Krsna foodstuff 56 times as in Jagannatha Puri. Become a devotee. Try to please Him to your best capacity. Krsna can be offered in any circumstances. Krsna can be pleased provided you want to serve Krsna. Krsna wants only your heart—“Krsna, You are my eternal master. I am Your eternal servant. Please engage me in Your service.”

(Class by Srila Prabhupada Feb.18, 1976 in Mayapur)

This prasad of Lord Jagannatha is worshipable even for Lord Brahma and Lord Shiva. Upon the eating of it, love of God will certainly arise within the heart. All of you have obtained such a rare treasure. All glories! All glories! All glories to Lord Jagannatha!

(Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura)

If you are to go to Krsna, then you have to prepare your spiritual body. That is Krsna consciousness. If you keep yourself in Krsna consciousness, then gradually you prepare your next body, a spiritual body, which will carry you immediately to Krsnaloka, the abode of Krsna, and you will become happy. You will live there perpetually and blissfully."

(Science of Self-Realization, Ch. 7)

Conversation With

Srila Prabhupada

Visala: I remember over five years ago you telling me about, "If you read the first nine cantos of Srimad-Bhagavatam, you become fully Krsna conscious." Would you kindly tell me what does it mean to be

fully Krsna conscious?

Prabhupada: What do you understand, fully Krsna conscious?

Visala: What does it mean to be fully Krsna conscious?

Prabhupada: No, what you mean, first of all let me know.

Harikesa: What do you think fully Krsna concious means? You tell Prabhupada.

Visala: It's to see Krsna face to face?

Prabhupada: That means Krsna conscious? Everyone is seeing Krsna face to face. When you go to the temple Krsna is there, and you are seeing. Does it mean everyone is Krsna conscious?

Visala: No.

Prabhupada: Then what is the meaning of Krsna conscious?

Indian man: Brahma-bhutah prasannatma na socati na kanksati.

Prabhupada: Hm, that is part of Krsna consciousness, brahma bhutah.

Real Krsna consciousness is: "Krsna is master, I am servant." This is Krsna consciousness.

Visala: To understand that you're the servant and Krsna is the master. I see.

Prabhupada: When you fully understand, that is your Krsna... That is Krsna conscious. (break) So long you think that "I can also become like Krsna," then you are not Krsna conscious.

Visala: In other words, if you still have material desires you can't be fully Krsna conscious.

Prabhupada: Yes. That is the beginning of Krsna consciousness, anyabhilasita-sunyam. Make all your material desires zero.

Visala: Thank you very much.

Prabhupada: That is Krsna conscious. You should only desire to serve

Krsna. (break) ...clear or not?

Visala: Very clear. Thank you very much.

Harikesa: What if a person doesn't desire material enjoyment, but still, there is so much dirt?

Prabhupada: Hm? Who is that person who has no material desires?

Harikesa: A person really wants to be Krsna conscious, but somehow or

another, so much dirts gets in the way.

Prabhupada: Yes. Dirt means it is not yet zero. I said that all material desires should be made zero. Anyabhilasita-sunyam.

Harikesa: As soon as the desires completely change, then everything

else is purified.

Prabhupada: Yes. As Arjuna said, karisye vacana tava, nasto mohah: "Now my illusion is over. I agree to act as you say." This is Krsna conscious. Nasto moha smrtir labdh tvat prasadan madhusudana.

(break) The moha is there. Moha means these desires are illusion, like dreaming. In dream we see so many things. They are all false. In dreaming I am seeing that somebody is coming to kill me but there is

nobody, but still, I am dreaming. This is called moha. So when one is free from moha, then he's Krsna conscious. The whole material world is going on under such illusion. Therefore it is called maya. Hare Krsna.

Thank you. (end)

Los Angeles

16 June, 1972

My Dear Satsvarupa,

Please accept my blessings. I received your letter dated June 15, 1972,

and have noted the contents carefully regarding your sannyasi travels. If

you require more men and women to teach there at Gurukula, you can send from

your jurisdiction as GBC man Central USA zone. You will not be too much

involved with local temple management, but for management which will require

the larger interests, that will be your responsibility as GBC. So you find

out some teachers from your zone and send there. The women are best for

teaching small children, especially if they are themselves mothers, and when

they become brahmacaris at 5 or 6 years old then they may be instructed by

the men. If Stoka Krsna is finding difficulty to manage things then you find

out some men to help him from your zone. Let him do all of the organizing

and be the authority in charge how everything is running, and let others

follow his direction and free him to supervise.

You mention you like to speak now very often, but the first business

should be to preach to the devotees. It is better to maintain a devotee than

to try to convince others to become devotees. It is the duty of the GBC to

maintain the devotees, keep them in the highest standard of Krishna

Consciousness, and give them all good instruction, and let them go out and

preach for making more devotees. Your first job should be to make sure that

every one of the devotees in your zone of management is reading regularly

our literatures and discussing the subject matter seriously from different

angles of seeing, and that they are somehow or other absorbing the knowledge

of Krishna Consciousness philosophy. If they are fully educated in our

philosophy and if they can get all of the knowledge and study it from every

viewpoint, then very easily they will perform tapasya or renunciation and

that will be their advancement in Krishna Consciousness. So first thing is

to instruct all of your temple presidents and the other devotees to read

daily, just as we have done in our morning class in Los Angeles. You may

remember that we were reading one sloka each morning in Sanskrit and

reciting it altogether and then discussing it thoroughly by seeing different

new things. So you introduce this system and train the devotees first. Don't

be too much concerned for the time being with nondevotees, now we must

fix-up what devotees we have got in the knowledge of Krishna Consciousness,

then we will succeed. What good are many, many devotees if none of them are

knowledgeable?

You mentioned that you are not yet a very bold preacher, but you will

become bold, if you have got sincerity. In the beginning also I could not

speak. But Krishna is within you, and when you are serving Him sincerely He

will give you courage, boldness, everything. We are not going to bluff

anyone or cheat others, and we are delivering the message on behalf of the

Supreme Lord, so we haven't got anything to fear and we should be always

mindful of our topmost position of occupation of life. To be the messenger

of the king is practically as good as to be the king, so the king is the

most exalted position. I act like a king because no one can defeat me, and

similarly, you should take your responsibility very, very seriously as being

the representative of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Who is God Himself, and

always remember that you are one of the few men I have appointed to carry on

my work throughout the world and your mission before you is huge. Therefore,

always pray to Krishna to give you strength for accomplishing this mission

by doing what I am doing. My first business is to give the devotees the

proper knowledge and engage them in devotional service, so that is not very

difficult task for you, I have given you everything, so read and speak from

the books and so many new lights will come out. We have got so many books,

so if we go on preaching from them for the next 1,000 years, there is enough

stock. Just like we have spent one day discussing one sloka, so you

introduce this system in all of the temples, and very quickly the devotees

will make spiritual progress by getting knowledge.

So far the children are concerned they should know simply four things: 1.

Simply think of Krishna always, 2. become Krishna's devotee, 3. offer

Krishna worship, 4. offer Krishna obeisances. These four things should be

taught and everything else will follow nicely and they will be learned

persons. Give them nice food, let them play. Some can be cowherd boys, some

can be cows, like that. Play and take food and be Krishna Conscious. As soon

as they begin playing they will be inspired, only one has to direct how to

play, that's all. They should attend the regular aratis and dance before the

Deities, just like the children are doing in Los Angeles, and there should

not be separate special aratis for the children, although they may also

learn how to do arati in the class before one picture. They must all go to

bed by nine pm and arise at four am for mangala arati, and in day-time a

little rest.

As for the GBC members, if we study one sloka daily in our classes it

will take you more than 50 years to finish Srimad-Bhagavatam alone, so at

least 50 years matter is already there minimum. So we can finish Bhagavatam

once in our lifetime and the next generation can begin again, like that.

From a practical point of view, as I have not yet finished Srimad-Bhagavatam

and we have got now 100 branches, so by the time I am finished with

Bhagavatam there must be at least 1000 branches. I have worked alone, now

you are so many. Our scope is unlimited, resources unlimited, so we must be

exceptionally enthusiastic and sober-minded and responsible for working in

that spirit.

I hope this will meet you in good health,

Your ever well-wisher,

A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

from 1994 Vyasa-puja Book

Dear Srila Prabhupada,

Please accept my most humble obeisances on this most auspicious occasion Of your appearance. At this time I remember my good fortune in meeting you many years ago, and how you showered your boundless compassion upon my unworthy self. The first time I saw you was a picture in Life magazine in 1967, which Had an article about all the different "yogis" doing their thing in New York City. As I read the article with interest, I could not help feeling uneasy with the pictures of the bogus yogis displayed there. They all had beady eyes, long stringy hair and beards. They looked like crooks and pickpockets.

Then I saw your picture. I was immediately struck by the immense gravity of your expression, and the atmosphere of peace in which you seemed to be situated. Again and again I came back to your picture. Finally I took a pair of scissors and cut it out from the magazine. I thought for a while what to do with this special prize and then decided to paste it on the door of my locker at high school. While all my classmates had pin-up girls or sports stars on their lockers, I had you, Srila Prabhupada. I don't think here there was a kid in my school who did not come to see your picture at sometime or other to ponder your transcendental pose. I did not know how to pronounce your name and did not even try to remember it, I simply knew that at some time, somehow, I would become your follower and learn how to worship Lord Krsna from you.

Many months passed. When spring vacation came in April of 1968, my older brother invited me to go with him to New York City. I unhesitatingly agreed to go in hopes of meeting you. I prayed to God for the good fortune of finding you and your devotees during my visit to New York City. We took a train from upstate New York. Upon reaching the city, my brother took me to Greenwich Village. From there we wandered around until we got lost. We eventually wound up on the Bowery, where I lost all belief in the greatness of the America way of life. We continued wandering until we reached Second Avenue.

As we were turning on First Street to head towards the West Side, something suddenly burst into my awareness through the corner of my eye. It caught my attention like the shining sun popping out from behind a black storm cloud. It was a store sign which proclaimed: "Hare Krishna." My head suddenly yanked around, followed by my body. Reflexively I darted across the busy street and stepped inside the hollowed space of the 26 Second Avenue.

Inside I met a teenage girl devotee named Sudarsana. In the course of our conversation, she informed me that you would be arriving the next day from San Francisco and that I should come to see you then. You arrived the next morning and that evening I came to New York City to see you. I entered the temple room and sat on a musty Persian rug not far from your asana. Other devotees were coming in and sitting all around me. Candles flickered and incense filled the air.

Then the devotees began to slowly chime the hand cymbals and to thump our rhythms with the clay mrdangas as they sang your praises with the Sanskrit verse: nama om visnu-padayakrsna-padaya bhutale, srimate bhaktivedanta svamin iti namine. As the volume and tempo of the chanting increased, so did the ecstasy of the devotees. The temple room was crammed full of devotees and guests like myself, who were all eagerly awaiting your arrival. In the back of the temple room, near aside entranceway on the left, stood Brahmananda and Pradyumna. Near them were brahmacarinis - Kancambala, Lilasuka, Indira and Ekayani. They were frantically jumping up and down to the rhythm of the chanting and repeatedly screaming "Swamiji" with their shrill voices. I noticed that several devotees next to the side door had conchshells, but I did not know that these were for blowing.

Suddenly, when the chanting had reached its peak, there was heard the loud blast of conchshells. To me it sounded like sirens, and since everyone immediately threw themselves on the ground, I did likewise, expecting an imminent explosion from a bomb. Instead, however, there was only the gentle murmur of prayers being recited by the bowed devotees. I raised my head up to see what was going on. At that moment the side door opened and from behind it emerged a mass of glowing saffron. As I gazed at you, I realized that although before our eyes, you were not from this world. You were present before us at a point where the spiritual plane met the material plane so that we could have a glimpse of transcendence. With wide blinking eyes, I watched as you made your way across the crowded room. It appeared to me that your feet never touched the ground. You obviously had no need for such trivial things.

You sat upon your seat in a dignified manner and acknowledged the presence of everyone with a reassuring glance. As your glance caught my eyes, I understood that you saw my naked soul in my heart, and thus knew everything about me. You picked up your hand cymbals and began chanting the prayers to the disciplic succession. The mode of the chanting was solemn. As I listened, I felt that I was awash in an ocean of timelessness. By the prayers you vibrated I could feel myself connected with Godhead Himself. Then you began chanting the mahamantra: Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare; Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. There was a stirring among the assembled devotees. They rose from the floor and began dancing. You were deeply absorbed in concentration as you lead the chanting. Soon the devotees were swaying back and forth with the chanting, their arms extended upwards toward the ceiling. I also danced. As the chanting became more intense, the devotees jumped and shouted, with tears streaking down their cheeks. My body was trembling and I was sweating so profusely that my clothes were completely drenched. I had gone from an ocean of timelessness into the depths of an ocean of transcendental bliss from which I never wished to leave. Finally you brought the chanting to an end and proceeded to give a lecture. I could tell by your expression and the tone of your voice that the subject was very important, but I was unable to understand very much, because of my unfamiliarity with your accent. Even so, I listened everything you said.

After finishing the lecture, you retired to your room upstairs. The devotees rolled out a long plastic mat and placed wooden bowls along both sides. Soon they were serving hot banana milk. After tasting my first prasada, a devotee named Advaita asked me if I wanted to see the altar from up close. I agreed. He took me right up to the altar, which was a wooden framework covered with velvet, and stretched his right arm toward the picture on the altar. As I looked to see which pictures he was pointing at, I saw before me a larger version of the same picture of you which I had pasted on my locker door at high school. I was shocked and realized that Krsna had brought me to you and that I had to surrender myself to you as your disciple - I had no other alternative.

Your humble servant, R.K. Bhaktivaidurya Madhava Maharaja

"Why this Gaudiya Matha failed? He, before passing away, he gave all direction and never said that 'This man should be the next acarya.’ But these people, just after his passing away they began to fight, who shall be acarya. That is the failure. They never thought, Why Guru Maharaja gave us instruction so many things, why he did not say that this man should be acarya?’ They wanted to create artificially somebody acarya and everything failed. They did not consider even with common sense that if Guru Maharaja wanted to appoint somebody as acarya, why did he not say? He said so many things, and this point he missed? The real point? And they insist upon it. They declared some unfit person to become acarya. Then another man came, then another, acarya, another acarya. So better remain a foolish person perpetually to be directed by Guru Maharaja. That is perfection."

Srila Prabhupada Room Conversation, 08-16-76, Bombay

OFFERING PRASADAM

Regarding your 2 questions: For offering prasadam simply prayers to the Spiritual Master are sufficient. The process is that everything is offered to the Spiritual Master, and the Spiritual Master is supposed to offer the same foodstuff to the Lord. When a thing is offered to the Spiritual Master, he immediately offers to the Lord. That is the system, and as we come by the parampara system, it is our duty to go through the right channel--namely, first the Spiritual Master, then Lord Caitanya, and then Krishna. So when we chant prayers, we do this, Bande ham Sri Guru . . . and gradually to the Goswamis, then to Lord Caitanya, and then to Radha Krishna. That is the praying system. But offering the prasadam to present everything before the Spiritual Master whose picture is also in the altar, means that the Spiritual Master will take care of offering the foodstuff to the Lord. Therefore simply by chanting the prayer to the Spiritual Master, everything will be complete...

...Yes, you may say the prayer to the Spiritual Master 3 times, and also the Namo Brahmanya . . . prayer 3 times, when offering Prasadam. That is very nice to say the mantra 3 times. Also, you may, after offering to the Spiritual Master, offer to Lord Caitanya by saying the prayer, Namo Maha Badanyaya . . . 3 times, and then offer to Krishna thrice...

...Regarding your question about offering Prasadam, whatever is offered to the Deity actually it goes through the Spiritual Master. The Spiritual Master offers to Lord Caitanya, and Lord Caitanya offers it to Krishna. Then Radha Krishna eats, or Jagannatha eats, then Caitanya Mahaprabhu eats, then the Spiritual Master eats, and it becomes Mahaprasadam. So when you offer something, you think like that and chant the Gayatri mantra, and then everything is complete. At last, ring the bell, take out the plate and wipe the place where the plate was kept...Once the prasadam is removed from the altar, and touched by us, it should not again be placed on the altar. Whatever we offer should be as fresh and pure as is possible...

... Regarding prasadam offering to the Deities, you will take from the cooked foodstuffs in a plate just sufficient for one man's eating, and this prasadam should be offered to the Deity, not the whole quantity. The rest of the foodstuffs may remain in the oven to keep it hot until the devotees accept and honor it. The plate offered to the Deities must be kept 15-20 minutes so that the major portion of the foodstuffs will be remaining warm in the oven, and the devotees will therefore not be dissatisfied. I think this practice will solve the question...

(Letters from Srila Prabhupada 5/28/68, 3/22/68, 6/16/69, 2/14/69)

O brothers! Mother Yashoda and Mother Rohini were thinking, “Today our two boys, Balarama and Krsna, will go to a distant forest to tend Their cows.” Contemplating thus in the ecstasy of parental affection, they prepared a wonderful feast for the two boys, consisting of Khira, solid cream, curd, and fresh yellow butter. All the cowherd boyfriends take lunch with Balarama and Krsna while dancing and singing in ecstasy. They eat the remnants of Krsna's meal until their bellies are full, and still exclaim, “Give us more! Give us more!” (Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura)

Guest guest

thanks to Bhakti Vikasa Maharaja

Dear Srila Prabhupada, on this day I remember the lessons about Krsna consciousness that I learned from you in September, 1968. At the time you had not originally planned to come to New York. You came only after we committed a great blunder.

That year Janmastami was toward the end of August. We celebrated it in a rather unusual way. In those days our Godbrother Jaya Govinda dasa was living in Vrndavana. In his letters he mentioned that local people sometimes dressed up as Radha and Krsna and that everyone respected them as such. Thinking that this was a bona fide Vaisnava custom, the temple authorities decided to celebrate Janmastami in that way. They arranged for two brahmacarinis -- Indira and Ekayani -- to dress up as Radha and Krsna. Personally I didn't like the idea at all, but the temple authorities had ordained it, so I had to go along with their plans. Indira dressed as Krsna-she wore a bright yellow silk dhoti, a beautiful flower garland, and a crown with a peacock feather on her head. Ekayani dressed up as Radharani.

After the morning program on Janmastami day the two girls were ushered into the temple room. Seeing them, everyone was amazed. They did look very much like Radha and Krsna. The real surprise came when it was announced that just as when a picture resembles Radha and Krsna it becomes Radha and Krsna and is worshipable, so these two girls, now resembling Radha and Krsna, were similarly identical with Radha and Krsna and should therefore be worshiped as direct manifestations of Radha and Krsna. Some devotees cleared all your pictures off of your vyasasana and prepared it as a throne for this new Radha and Krsna.

After they sat themselves on your vyasasana, everyone bowed down to them, offering them obeisances. Upon rising, they recited prayers in praise of them as Radha and Krsna. Afterwards a plate of bhoga that would normally have been offered on the altar was brought and offered to the two girls. After eating what they wanted, the remnants were distributed to the assembled devotees and guests. There after incense, a lamp, and a peacock fan were offered to them. I was told to hold an umbrella over them, but in my mind I was considering them rascals for pretending to be Radha and Krsna and wanted to beat them over the head with the umbrella. The devotees and guests passed the day offering various types of worship to the two girls.

Several days later, the temple president called his brother in Los Angeles, where you were staying at the time. He told his brother about how we had had such a wonderful Janmastami festival in New York so that his brother would relay the information to you. You were not at all pleased by what you heard. As soon as his brother finished speaking, you immediately got on the phone to New York to talk with the temple president. You told him, "You have committed a great offense. This is sahajiya. I am coming there immediately to rectify the situation."

One week later, on August 31st, you arrived in New York. Your flight arrived after dark. Not only that, your arrival at the temple was delayed by several hours because of the congested traffic in New York City. I had stayed behindat the temple to finish the preparations for your arrival. When you finally arrived, you quickly strode up to the altar, bowed down, and sat on your vyasasana. Then, after a few brief exchanges with some devotees, you proceeded to sing the prayers to the disciplic succession. Finishing these, you began intoning the maha-mantra with your deep, rhythmic and melodious voice: Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare / Hare Rama, HareRama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. As we were responding to the mantra, you looked out at each and every person seated in the audience. By the expression on your face you appeared very worried. As your eyes met mine and you peered deep into my soul, I saw that you were very concerned about my spiritual well-being. I was wondering why you were looking at me like that when I personally felt there was nothing wrong with me.

In your lecture you ridiculed modern civilization. You mentioned how your flight had taken a few hours, but after disembarking from the airplane it had also taken several hours to get from the airport to the temple due to all the traffic. Therefore, how had the automobile brought any advancement? Instead, this so-called advancement was simply becoming a disturbance. In this way, you continuously smashed the concept of technological development as advancement of human civilization. You explained that real advancement was development of Krsna consciousness.

When you finished speaking, you went up to your room. As usual, the devotees were milling around in the temple room, intoxicated with the ecstasy of seeing you again. After a few minutes, your servant came down and informed us that you wanted everyone to come up to your room one at a time. We formed a line. Due to timidity, I got as far back in the line as I could. Gradually the devotees went up to see you in your apartment. When it was my turn, I ascended the staircase, entered the apartment, and then went into the little back room where you stayed. I offered obeisances to you and then sat in front of you. Your eyebrows were knitted as you looked at me with deep concern.

Then you said, "You are feeling all right?" I replied, "Yes, Srila Prabhupada." You responded, "Then why you are so thin?" I replied, "Oh, I'm just eating a little and sleeping a little so I can become like a gosvami." At the time, many of the devotees in New York City had been eating and sleeping very little. We were trying to emulate the austerities of Satsvarupa and Jadurani in Boston. We thought that if we reduced our eating and sleeping and chanted more rounds we would automatically come to the platform of gosvamis. Srila Prabhupada replied to me, "Healthy means to be as big as Brahmananda. You should become as big as Brahmananda. Brahmacari means to eat ten capatis every day. If you eat ten capatis every day, you will always be Krsna conscious. So, you can do?" In shock, I gasped, "Yes!" Brahmananda was sitting beside me with a big smile. I bowed down and left, realizing the foolishness of my artificial attempts to become a gosvami. It turned out that you had instructed most of the devotees to eat more prasadam, but I was the only one you instructed to eat ten capatis every day.

The next day the two girls again dressed up as Radha and Krsna. This time we all assembled at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. We entered and walked until we reached a pleasant meadow secluded by trees and flowerbeds. You sat down upon a large pillow. Then you began leading kirtana, instructing the two girls to dance in front of you. We also stood and formed a circle around you. As we danced, our attention was fixed on you, like the petals of a lotus fixed around the calyx. We hardly noticed the two girls dressed as Radha and Krsna.

When you ended the kirtana, we all sat down on the grass. We were expecting you to speak something, but instead you surprised us all. You began asking different devotees to stand up and tell us their understanding of Krsna consciousness. I was terrified that you would call on me, but you only called on the senior devotees: Raya Rama, Brahmananda,Satsvarupa, Jadurani, Purusottama, Advaita, Madhusudana, etc. After some more kirtana, we went back to the temple. That's all there was to that festival. You gave the dressing up like Radha and Krsna no special importance.

The next evening we had our usual program of kirtana and lecture. The kirtana was ecstatic and in the lecture you spoke in detail how we can develop pure love of God. When you asked if there were any questions, my heart skipped a beat when I saw one guest raise his hand. After hearing from the devotees for many months about Krsna and Vrndavana, he had recently gone to Vrndavana. There he met one of your Godbrothers. The fellow took initiation from your Godbrother, who also told the new disciple that he had a relationship with Krsna like mother Yasoda. After returning to New York, this disciple was always bragging how he had a Deity of Krsna as a baby which he worshiped with maternal affection like mother Yasoda.

Seeing his hand raised, you signaled him to speak. He asked: "Swamiji, if I have maternal affection for Krsna like mother Yasoda, can I offer Krsna Gerber's baby food?" You wrinkled your brow and asked, "What is that?" He repeated his question and you continued to look at him with a perplexed expression. Then someone explained to you what Gerber's baby food is. You replied, "Oh, no. We cannot offer canned food or food prepared by a nondevotee." Then he asked, "Can I prepare my own baby food for offering to Krsna?" You replied, "We do not worship Krsna in that way. We follow the authorized process for worshiping Krsna. Not that artificially we concoct something or try to jump to an advanced position. That is the sahajiya way. We simply follow the process of regulated devotional service. Then gradually we become purified. That's all."

The tone Of Your voice revealed that you were annoyed by the question. The guest was embarrassed that you had not encouraged him in his concocted worship. But we were more embarrassed that he had asked you such a stupid question. In those days I was the cook. The next day I was busy in the kitchen. It was the quiet part of the afternoon. I was just finishing cleaning the kitchen when your servant came and said that you wanted to see me in your room immediately. I asked your servant why you wanted to see me, but he was not aware. My mind raced as I speculated that perhaps you were displeased with my service. Shaking with fear, I went to your apartment and knocked on the door. You answered: "Come in." Entering the room, I sat on the floor in front of you. Between us was a low wooden table which you used as a desk. Then you asked, "So, you can paint?" Hearing your question, I did not know what to think. I thought, "Paint what? Paint the table? Paint the floor? Paint the walls? Oh no! Maybe Swamiji wants me to paint the outside walls of the apartment building!" In great anxiety I blurted out, "Paint what?" You replied, "Paint pictures, just as Jadurani is doing." In disbelief I said, "But I don't know anything about art." You replied, "That doesn't matter. If you just have faith in Krsna, then Krsna from within your heart will guide you just as He is guiding Jadurani. So, you can do?" Somehow or other I managed to gasp a weak but affirmative "Yes." Then you showed me some photographs of devotees chanting in San Francisco and Los Angeles. You told me to begin trying to reproduce the photos; then when I became more proficient I could paint Krsna. You also told me that you were planning to open so many temples and to print so many books, and therefore you needed many oil paintings. You said, "Carry on with your regular duties, but whenever you get a little time, please try to paint." Then you told me that I could go. Thus it was that in September of 1968 1 came to understand the difference between concocted devotional service, like what the sahajiyas perform, and devotional service executed under the direction of the bona fide spiritual master. Thank you, Srila Prabhupada.

Your disciple striving to be your useful servant,

Bhaktivaidurya Madhava Maharaja

LESSONS IN HONORING PRASADAM

Bob: There is some prasada [food offered to Krsna] I like, and some I find the taste not at all to my liking.

Srila Prabhupada: You should not do that. The perfection is that whatever is offered to Krsna you should accept. You cannot say. “I like this, I don’t like this.” So long as you make such discrimination, that means you have not appreciated what prasada is.

Guest: But say someone prepares something, but he does not make it so good.

Srila Prabhupada: No, if it's made sincerely with devotion, then Krsna will like it. Just like Vidura. Vidura was feeding Krsna bananas, but he was so absorbed in thought that he was throwing away the real bananas and he was giving Krsna the skin, and Krsna was eating. Krsna knew that he was giving in devotion, and Krsna can eat anything, provided there is devotion. It does not matter whether it is materially tasteful or not. Therefore we do not allow anyone to cook who is not a devotee. Krsna does not accept anything from the hands of a nondevotee. Why should He accept? He is not hungry. He does not require any food. He accepts only the devotion, that’s all. That is the main point. So one has to become a devotee. Not a good cook. But if he is a devotee, then he will be a good cook also. Therefore one has to become a devotee only, then all other good qualifications will automatically be there.

Bob: Sometimes it is too spicy, and it hurts my stomach.

Srila Prabhupada: That is also due to not appreciating, but the cook should have consideration. Krsna must be offered first-class foodstuffs. So if he offers something last class, he is not performing his duty. But Krsna can accept anything if it is offered by a devotee, and a devotee can accept any prasada, even if it is spicy. Hiranyakasipu gave his son poison [and the son offered it to Krsna], and the son drank it as nectar. And Putana Rakshasi also offered Krsna poison. But Krsna is so nice that He thought, “She took Me as My mother,” so He took the poison and delivered her. Krsna does not take the bad side. A good man does not take the bad side—he takes only the good side. Just like one of my big Godbrothers—he wanted to make business with my Guru Maharaja, but my Guru Maharaja did not take the bad side. He took the good side. He thought, “He has come forward to give me some service.”

Bob: Oh, I see. I have another question on prasada. Some devotees do not eat ghee because of liver trouble. Should they take all the prasada?

Srila Prabhupada: No, no. Those who are not perfect devotees may discriminate. But a perfect devotee does not discriminate. So why should you artificially imitate a perfect devotee and eat everything? It may not be possible for me to digest everything because I am not a perfect devotee. The point is, a perfect devotee does not make any discrimination. Whatever is offered to Krsna is nectar. That’s all. Krsna accepts anything from a devotee. Similarly, a devotee also takes Krsna prasada, whether it is materially tasteful or not. (Excerpts from a conversation with Srila Prabhupada 2/27-29/1972)

In great ecstasy and joy Krsna eats the rice, curried vegetables, sweets, and pastries cooked by Srimati Radharani.

Krsna's funny brahmana friend Madhumangala, who is very fond of ladoos, gets them by hook or by crook. Eating the ladoos, he shouts, "Haribol! Haribol!" and makes a funny sound by slapping his sides under his armpits with his hands.

Beholding Radharani and Her gopi friends out of the corners of His eyes, Krsna eats at the house of mother Yashoda with great satisfaction.

After lunch, Krsna drinks rose-scented water. Then all of the boys, standing in lines, wash their mouths.

At mother Yashoda's request the gopi Dhanistha brings remnants of food left on Krsna's plate to Srimati Radharani, who eats them with great delight. Lalita-devi and the other gopis then receive the remnants, and within their hearts they sing the glories of Radharani and Krsna with great joy. (Bhoga Arotik song by Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura)

Hare Krishna!

All glories to Srila Prabhupada! I offer my humble obeisnaces unto him!

In the summer of 1971, Indradyumna dasa accompanied Srila Prabhupada on his flight to London, where he was to attend the Ratha-yatra festival. On the flight, a film was shown --an old silent film of Charlie Chaplin. When the film began, Indradyumna dasa began reading the Bhagavad-gita, but he noticed that Srila Prabhupada, who was sitting two seats away, was watching the film and chuckling.

Indradyumna felt a little confused,since he knew devotees were not supposed to watch movies, but seeing Prabhupada's appreciation of the film, he stopped reading and laughed along with Prabhupada and his servant at Charlie Chaplin's humor. When the film was over, Indradyumna met Pradyumna dasa at the back of the plane and asked why Srila Prabhupada was laughing during the film. Pradyumna said he would go and ask Prabhupada.

He soon returned Smiling and said, "Prabhupada said that Krsna is the original source of everything,and since Charlie Chaplin's humor was original, he could appreciate Krsna there." Indradyumna returned to his seat, appreciating how Srila Prabhupada saw Krsna everywhere.

As the plane landed in London, Indradyumna was looking forward to Seeing the devotees and hearing Prabhupada's arrival address at the Bury Place temple, but the airline had misplaced Prabhupada's suitcase and Indradyumna was asked to wait behind in case it showed up. Disappointed,Indradyumna was left alone as the other devotees performed kirtana while escorting Prabhupada to his car.

Indradyumna waited for two hours before the suitcase was finally located.He then took a taxi to the temple, but to his great dismay, he found the ceremonies over and the devotees finishing up a feast in honor of Prabhupada's arrival. Indradyumna asked the devotees where Srila Prabhupada's room was and was told it was four flights up the stairs.

Upon reaching the fourth floor, Indradyumna knocked on Prabhupada's Door and then entered the room, dragging the big suitcase behind him.Suddenly he noticed Srila Prabhupada standing there watching him. Embarrassed for having walked in on Prabhupada, Indradyumna fell to the floor, offering his humble obeisances. Suddenly he felt a firm slap on his back and he heard Srila Prabhupada say something to him. When he arose, Srila Prabhupada had gone back into the adjoining quarters. Still feeling Prabhupada's strong slap, he turned to Nanda-kumara, who stood there with wide open eyes and a big smile on his face.

Indradyumna then asked what Prabhupada had said. "Prabhupada said," Nanda-kumara replied, "that in this material world everything is very difficult, but when you go back to Godhead, everything will be very easy." Indradyumna Swami, interview. I had a similar experience with Prabhupada while serving as his secretary. In 1973, Prabhupada wanted to travel from Calcutta to London. I met with some delays and difficulties in getting the passports, so at the airport, I asked him if going to the spiritual world means arranging for passports and tickets. He said no, you simply go there immediately. Although travel in the material world may be difficult, going back to Godhead is simple and swift. The first incident shows how Prabhupada could see Krsna everywhere.

In the Tenth Chapter of the Bhagavad-gita, Krsna shows how anything great comes from Him, so of humorists, Krsna is Charlie Chaplin. Although we cannot imitate Prabhupada, we may still appreciate his lila. Hewas a pure devotee, and it is wonderful and endearing that he could drink a 7-UP or laugh at a Charlie Chaplin movie. Although these activities may appear ordinary, Prabhupada was always extraordinary.

Haribol!

anand

TRY TO HAVE VERY NICE LOVE FEASTS

Krishna is offered foodstuff in goodness. The foodstuffs in the modes of goodness are wheat, rice, pulse (beans, peas), sugar, honey, butter and all milk preparations, vegetables, flowers, fruits, grains. So these foods can be offered in any shape, but prepared in various ways by the intelligence of the devotees. The ingredients are always the same as above, whether you fry them, boil them, bake them, powder them, or whatever way they are combined or cooked, the idea is that they must come from this group of foodstuffs. So you can make your own recipe if you like, so long as the ingredients are within this group. This foods group is stated by Krishna in the Bhagavad-gita, and we follow accordingly. Now the thing is that you must consider by whom you are being taught what is healthy and what is not healthy. What is their authority? Actually, this healthy and non-healthy is a material consideration, and we are simply interested in what Krishna wants, so we offer to Him to eat whatever He wants. And He asks for food preparations from within this group...

A Vaisnava should not hunger for a variety of food for his own sake; rather, his satisfaction is in seeing various foods being offered to the Deity. The spiritual master's duty is to engage his disciples in preparing varieties of nice food to offer the Deity. After being offered, this food is distributed as prasada to the devotees. These activities satisfy the spiritual master, although he himself does not eat or require such a variety of prasada. By seeing to the offering and distribution of prasada, he himself is encouraged in devotional service...

...You mention that you are fixing up your temple for nice Love feast programs and this is cent per cent approved by me. Try to have very nice Love feasts, because here in Los Angeles they are constantly attracting more and more members to join them, and the Love feast program is one of the very strong attracting influences. This program of offering grand scale quantities of prasadam amongst the general people was encouraged by Lord Caitanya, because if someone partakes of the remnants of offerings to Lord Krishna, then he is sure to come back to Krishna Consciousness again at one time or another. So propagate our processes of Sankirtana, sumptuous Love feasts, and reading literatures of Krishna Consciousness, and surely many persons will be attracted to join this sublime movement...

This prasadam distribution item is very, very important, and it is so much pleasing to me that in the beginning so many children are coming for taking prasadam, and that supply of rice has come automatically. Please continue this program rigidly. By prasadam distribution you will do service to the Lord, and the public will be pleased upon you as well. Gradually increase the number of guests, and don't deny anyone. Continue in this way: Whatever is there, distribute equally--it may not be very sumptuous, but no one should be denied an equal portion. (Letters from Srila Prabhupada 11/13/68, CCMadya 14.36, 7/15/69, 4/12/72)

"However," the Lord continued, "in these ingredients there are extraordinary tastes and uncommon fragrances. Just taste them and see the difference in the experience. Apart from the taste, even the fragrance pleases the mind and makes one forget any other sweetness besides its own. Therefore, it is to be understood that the spiritual nectar of Krsna's lips has touched these ordinary ingredients and transferred to them all their spiritual qualities. An uncommon, greatly enchanting fragrance and taste that makes one forget all other experiences are attributes of Krsna's lips. This prasada has been made available only as a result of many pious activities. Now taste it with great faith and devotion." (Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu- CC Antya 16.110-114)

GIVE OTHERS A CHANCE TO TAKE PRASADA AGAIN AND AGAIN

Devotee: Prabhupada, when we’re chanting on the street and the people walk by and hear us chant or we give them prasadam or they give a small donation, what benefit do they receive?

Prabhupada: The benefit is... Just like the bank sometimes gives you a box, “Whatever little money you save, put it in this box.” And when it is filled up, it becomes a big amount. Similarly, these people, if they appreciate a little, “Oh, these people are nice,” that is one asset. This is called ajnata-sukrti, accumulation of the result of pious activities. And when one is fully pious, at that time, he can understand what is God. So we are helping them, by and by, to advance in the matter of understanding God.

Bali-mardana: I believe I’ve heard you say in other lectures that a person or even a plant or any kind of living entity who takes prasadam or hears the name, will come back at least to the human form of life. Is that correct?

Prabhupada: No, if he’s a devotee, then he’ll come. But this taking of prasadam, or hearing Hare Krsna mantra is advancement for becoming a devotee. But if he takes prasadam not as ordinary foodstuff, if he believes that “These are remnants of foodstuffs given to God,” if he understands this philosophy, then it's guaranteed. If he takes the prasadam as ordinary food, “All right, these people are distributing prasada... Let me take it. It is very tasteful,” that will give him a chance to accept prasadam again and again. In this way, one day he’ll come to the point that “This prasadam is not ordinary foodstuff.” Then there is guarantee. Because only the devotee can appreciate that “This prasadam is not ordinary foodstuff. It is Krsna's remnants.” Therefore, he understands Krsna. That is said in the Bhagavad-gita [bg. 4.9]. When he understands in truth, then his life is guaranteed. Why guaranteed? He goes back to home in the next life. If you simply can understand what is Krsna and what is your relationship with Krsna, that is sufficient to take you back to home, back to Godhead. That is sufficient. It is so nice.

(Class by Srila Prabhupada 1.19.1974)

O brothers! Everyone come and eat the prasada of Lord Hari and chant His holy name! All the results that the mystics obtain by executing yoga will be obtained today by taking the Lord's prasada. The entire universe glorifies the prasada of Lord Krsna. And obtaining that prasada, Lord Shiva dances in great joy .

(Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakur)

Posted Image

"Prabhupada: So Lord Caitanya's sampradaya. (laughter) That is my joy, that we have now a sampradaya,

a party of Lord Caitanya in the Western country.

That is my success. That's all.

I have no value--insignificant--but somehow or other you cooperated, and you are still cooperating, and you are still cooperating as Lord Caitanya's sampradaya. That is my life. Thank you very much."

(Begins playing kartals, ecstatic kirtana follows)

Srila Prabhupada Lecture, 07-04-70, San Francisco

/images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif