IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

How to Remain Always in the Company of His Divine Grace

Rate this topic

HOW TO REMAIN ALWAYS IN THE COMPANY OF SRILA PRABHUPADA

Although according to material vision His Divine Grace Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura Prabhupada passed away from this material world on the last day of December, 1936, I still consider His Divine Grace to be always present with me by his vani, his words. There are two ways of association-by vani and by vapu. Vani means words, and vapu means physical presence. Physical presence is sometimes appreciable and sometimes not, but vani continues to exist eternally. Therefore we must take advantage of the vani, not the physical presence. Bhagavad-gita, for example, is the vani of Lord Krsna. Although Krsna was personally present five thousand years ago and is no longer physically present from the materialistic point of view, Bhagavad-gita continues.

It is imperative that one accept a spiritual master if he at all desires to gain the favor of the Lord. The service of the spiritual master is essential. If there is no chance to serve the spiritual master directly, a devotee should serve him by remembering his instructions. There is no difference between the spiritual master's instructions and the spiritual master himself.

In his absence, therefore, his words of direction should be the pride of the disciple. The disciple and spiritual master are never separated because the spiritual master always keeps company with the disciple as long as the disciple follows strictly the instructions of the spiritual master.

When one becomes serious to follow the mission of the spiritual master, his resolution is tantamount to seeing the Supreme Personality of Godhead. As explained before, this means meeting the Supreme Personality of Godhead in the instruction of the spiritual master. This is technically called vani-seva. If one sticks to the principles enunciated by the spiritual master, somehow or other he is in association with the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Since the Lord is in the heart, He can advise a sincere disciple from within.

In conclusion, if a disciple is very serious to execute the mission of the spiritual master, he immediately associates with the Supreme Personality of Godhead by vani or vapu. This is the only secret of success in seeing the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Instead of being eager to see the Lord in some bush of Vrndavana while at the same time engaging in sense gratification, if one instead sticks to the principle of following the words of the spiritual master, he will see the Supreme Lord without difficulty.

(CC Concluding words, CC Adi 1:35, SB 4.28.47, 51)

0 venerable Vaisnava, O ocean of mercy, be merciful unto your servant.

Give me the shade of your lotus feet and purify me.

I hold on to your lotus feet.

Teach me to control my six passions;

rectify my six faults, bestow upon me the six qualities, and offer unto me the six kinds of holy association.

I do not find the strength to carry on alone the sankirtana of the holy name of Hari.

Please bless me by giving me just one drop of faith with which to obtain the great treasure of the holy name of Krsna.

Krsna is yours; you have the power to give Him to me.

I am simply running behind you shouting, "Krsna! Krsna!"

(Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura- Ohe! Vaisnava Thakura)

"Although officially I am your Spiritual Master,

I consider you all students as my Spiritual Master because your love for Krishna and service for Krishna teach me how to become a sincere Krishna Conscious person."

(Srila Prabhupada letter, December 16, 1967)

Sometimes when I think about Prabhupada I get a vision of him in the Vaikuntha planets just singing and dancing with millions of angelic beings. He is there and his consciousness is so expanded that while he is in complete bliss and happiness all the time he is still very much aware of what is happening here on Earth. When he sees that a sincere soul is looking for the answers to the universe and God etc. he becomes very happy and makes sure that person gets a copy of Bhagavad Gita. I don't know if this vision is a hallucination, a mental construction or whatever but I hope its true.

k Posted Image

His Divine Grace is always happy to see you happy in Krsna Consciousness. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

And is always sad to see you unhappy without Krsna Consciousness. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

http://prabhupadaconnect.comgolden_prabhupada.jpg

Over 30 years ago, I had a wonderful dream of Srila Prabhupada which is still fresh in my mind. Prabhupada was sitting in the prasadam room at the old Vancouver temple. Golden rays of pure love were emanating from his spiritual body. As each successive wave of Prabhupada's love flooded my heart, I was overwhelmed with endless bliss. It was beyond this world. As I gradually awakened, a deep voice resounded in my heart: "Not until you surrender."

Padmapani das

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HOW TO PERFORM DEVOTIONAL ACTIVITIES IN THE ASSOCIATION OF DEVOTEES

Offering gifts in charity, accepting charitable gifts, revealing one’s mind in confidence, inquiring confidentially, accepting prasada and offering prasada are the six symptoms of love shared by one devotee and another.

In this verse Srila Rüpa Goswami explains how to perform devotional activities in the association of other devotees. There are six kinds of activities: (1) giving charity to the devotees, (2) accepting from the devotees whatever they may offer in return, (3) opening one’s mind to the devotees, (4) inquiring from them about the confidential service of the Lord, (5) honoring prasada, or spiritual food, given by the devotees, and (6) feeding the devotees with prasada. An experienced devotee explains, and an inexperienced devotee learns from him. When a devotee distributes prasada, remnants of food offered to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, in order to maintain our spirit of devotional service we must accept this prasada as the Lord’s grace received through the pure devotees. We should also invite pure devotees to our home, offer them prasada and be prepared to please them in all respects.

Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura warns all devotees engaged in broadcasting the Krsna consciousness movement not to speak to the impersonalist Mayavadis who are always determined to oppose such theistic movements. The world is full of Mayavadis and atheists, and the political parties of the world take advantage of Mayavada and other atheistic philosophies to promote materialism. Sometimes they even back a strong party to oppose the Krsna consciousness movement. The Mayavadis and other atheists do not want the Krsna consciousness movement to develop because it educates people in God consciousness. Such is the policy of the atheists. If a snake is given milk to drink, its poison simply increases. For a similar reason, we should not disclose our minds to the serpent Mayavadis and karmis. It is best to avoid association with them completely and never ask them about anything confidential because they cannot give good advice. Nor should we extend invitations to Mayavadis and atheists nor accept their invitations, for by such intimate intermingling we may become affected by their atheistic mentality. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu has also warned, “By eating food prepared by worldly people, one s mind becomes wicked." Unless one is very advanced, he is unable to utilize everyone’s contribution to further the Krsna consciousness movement; therefore on principle one should not accept charity from the Mayavadis or atheists. Indeed, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu has forbidden devotees to associate even with ordinary men who are too addicted to material sense gratification.

The conclusion is that we should always keep company with devotees, observe the regulative devotional principles, follow in the footsteps of the acharyas and in full obedience carry out the orders of the spiritual master. In this way we shall be able to develop our devotional service and dormant Krsna consciousness. The devotee who is neither a neophyte nor a maha-bhagavata (a greatly advanced devotee) but is within the middle status of devotional service is expected to love the Supreme Personality of Godhead, make friends with the devotees, show favor to the ignorant and reject the jealous and demoniac. In this verse there is brief mention of the process of making loving transactions with the Supreme Personality of Godhead and making friends with the devotees. An advanced devotee is supposed to spend at least fifty percent of his income on the service of the Lord and His devotees. Srila Rüpa Goswami has set such an example in his life. When he decided to retire, he distributed fifty percent of his life’s earnings to Krsna's service and twenty-five percent to his relatives and kept twenty-five percent for personal emergencies. This example should be followed by all devotees. Whatever one’s income, fifty percent should be spent on behalf of Krsna and His devotees.

If the members of human society actually want Peace of mind, tranquility and friendly relations between men and nations, they must follow the Krsna conscious system of religion, by which they can develop their dormant love for Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. As soon as people do so, their minds will immediately be filled with peace and tranquility.

(Nectar of Instruction p.39)

O Lord Hari, to offer a gift and receive one in return, to give and receive spiritual food, to reveal one's confidential thoughts and make confidential inquiries -- these are the six characteristics of loving association, and in them is found the very soul of devotion. I have failed to understand the absolute Truth, and by practicing these six activities with non-devotees, either knowingly or unknowingly, I have lost all devotion. Thus I have become a materialist. For me, You, O Lord, remain afar. The day I cherish these activities of intimate association with the devotees of Sri Krsna, that day the great goddess of devotion will ascend the throne of my heart.

(Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura)

Posted Image

by Krsna-devi dasi

I offer my most humble obeisances in the divine dust of the lotus feet of my most exalted spiritual master, His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. I was always lamenting that I couldn't have come, by some great misfortune, when you started ISKCON, when you managed everything, instructed the devotees, led kirtana yourself and cooked the prasadam. I am lamenting to be one of those great souls who were always surrounding you.

I thank you from the core of my polluted heart for the opportunity to serve your murti and do a little insignificant service unto your lotus feet.

Now, by your grace, I'm begging you to always use me in your service in any way you desire -- in success or failure, honor or dishonor, happiness or distress; please, oh most merciful Srila Prabhupada, let me never leave your lotus feet, because you are my only shelter and refuge.

Your insignificant servant,

Krsna-devi dasi

ASSOCIATION OF DEVOTEES IS THE ONLY SOLACE FOR OUR EXISTENCE

...I am very happy to learn that you are rendering a nice service to Krishna by cooking for him and distributing prasadam to others. The association of devotees is the only solace for our existence. New York might have been a little busier than Boston, but so long it is under the guidance of an experienced devotee, the affairs in both the cases are all right. The tendency for solitude is a kind of reaction on our past material activities, but solitude is not very good for a neophyte. Maya is always trying to attack us, and as soon as she finds some opportunity she tries to inflict her poisonous effects. The best thing is therefore not to seek solitude in the beginning but to remain in the midst of pure devotees so that even there is attack of Maya, their association will protect us. If you are, however, always busy in the matter of preaching work that is very nice. But to remain alone in a solitary place for a new man is not advisable.....

...Vrindaban is of course, very impressive for devotional service, but there also is not advisable to remain alone. I am trying to get a nice place at Vrindaban and when the place is there, I shall personally be present with some devotees, and appreciate the atmosphere of Vrindaban. So long we are engaged in devotional service with proper guidance certainly we are always in a transcendental position, and the transcendental position is unlimited, it doesn't matter whether you are in Vrindaban or U.S.A. But still, for everyone, Vrindaban's atmosphere is very sweet. But so long we have not completely freed our material attachment, even Vrindaban residence becomes uncongenial. Just like in the case of ........, it so happened. This seeking for solitude is simply a reaction on our past nonsense activities, or it is negation, voidism. Our sound position is always being engaged in service of Krishna, that is the positive standing.

Hope you are well.

Your ever well-wisher,

A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

Mind, body, and family, whatever may be mine,

I have surrendered at Your lotus feet,

O youthful son of Nanda!

In good fortune or in bad, in life or at death,

all my difficulties have disappeared

by choosing those feet of Yours as my only shelter.

Slay me or protect me as You wish,

for You are the master of Your eternal servant.

If it is Your will that I be born again,

then may it be in the home of Your devotee.

May I be born again even as a worm,

so long as I may remain Your devotee.

I have no desire to be born as a Brahma averse to You.

I yearn for the company of that devotee who is completely devoid of all desire

for worldly enjoyment or liberation.

O Kana, please hear me!

(Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura: Mind, Body, Home)

[snip]

So far personal association with the Guru is concerned, I was only with my Guru Maharaja four or five times, but I have never left his association, not even for a moment. Because I am following his instructions, I have never felt any separation. There are some of my Godbrothers here in India who had constant personal association with Guru Maharaja, but who are neglecting his orders. This is just like the bug who is sitting on the lap of the king. He may be very puffed-up by his position, but all he can succeed in doing is biting the king. Personal association is not so important as association through service.

[snip]

Lord Chaitanya's philosophy is not to become God, but to become servant, servant, servant of God. The more one becomes the lower grade servant of the Lord, the more he is devoted nearer to the Lord. This is our philosophy."

(Srila Prabhupada letter, February 8, 1968)

akamah sarva-kamo va

moksa-kama udara-dhih

tivrena bhakti-yogena

yajeta purusam param

"A person who has broader intelligence, whether he is full of material desire, without any material desire, or desiring liberation, must by all means worship the supreme whole, the Personality of Godhead." (S.B. 2.3.10)

The above verse from the Srimad-Bhagavatam is the first one that I memorized in Sanskrit. It has been a source of spiritual inspiration and motivation for me ever since.

When I joined ISKCON, I had nothing. By Krsna's grace and Prabhupada's kindness, all my desires and needs have been fulfilled simply by making a small and feeble effort to worship the Lord.

"By worship of the Lord, who is the source of all beings and who is all-pervading, man can, in the performance of his own duty, attain perfection." (B.G. 18.46)

In the purport to the above verse from the Bhagavad-gita, Srila Prabhupada explains the following:

"Everyone should think that he is engaged in a particular type of occupation by Hrsikesa, the master of the senses. And, by the result of the work in which one is engaged, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Krsna, should be worshiped. If one thinks always in this way, he becomes fully aware of everything. That is the perfection of life."

In the late sixties and early seventies, there was a big movement amongst young people towards getting back to the land or nature. Many were convinced that communes were the wave of the future. Growing up in those years influenced me in that direction as well. But how could a lone teenager without friends or money start or even find something workable? After much searching, it seemed impossible, so I gave up on the idea. But after joining and serving the movement for only a year in the Vancouver temple, I was elated to one day be asked to relocate to the Hare Krsna farm in Bridesville, B.C. It was a dream come true. Everything was there -- community, friends, nature, cows, bulls, service and Their Lordships Sri Sri Radha Madan Mohan. I couldn't have imagined anything better in my wildest dreams.

Whether it was living and working on a farm, traveling the world or writing and publishing, everything that I have desired has been fulfilled in Krsna's service. Such desires would have been very difficult to achieve separately, but in Krsna's service, they were attained almost effortlessly. Although my so-called service to Krsna has been full of faults and mistakes, Krsna has been so kind. He is known as the "benefactor and well-wisher of all living entities" (suhrdam sarva-bhutanam). By serving Him, the root of existence is served, and all living entities become happy in their constitutional position. Despite being woefully unqualified in every respect, the Lord has shown great mercy to this insignificant soul -- causeless mercy, in fact. To this day, that first verse which I learned so long ago, is still my favorite.

Jaya Sri Krsna!

Padmapani das

Guest guest

Lord Chaitanya's philosophy is not to become God, but to become servant, servant, servant of God. The more one becomes the lower grade servant of the Lord, the more he is devoted nearer to the Lord. This is our philosophy."

This is the key to the Kingdom of Krsna. And who will we find in the intimate servitors of the Lord? The one you want to always stay in the company of.

YES this is our philosophy! And the way back to Godhead.

"To prosecute Krishna Consciousness there is no limitation, no material impediment can stop progress of Krishna Consciousness. That is the symptom of spiritual life. Spiritual life doesn't depend on material conditions. We have got many instances from the history of devotee's life as Prahlad Maharaj. He was a small school boy, his father and teachers were all against God Consciousness. Still he flourished and converted all his class fellows to be Krishna Conscious in spite of severe trials experimented on his personal body. So it is only the question of understanding the process how to execute Krishna Consciousness."

(Srila Prabhupada letter, 13th February, 1968)

TO LOVE GOD IS OUR NATURAL LIFE

The Supreme Lord Krsna said to Brahma, "When the pure spiritual experience is excited by means of cognition and service [bhakti], superexcellent unalloyed devotion characterized by love for Godhead is awakened towards Krsna, the beloved of all souls."

After each and every verse we chant, "govindam adi-purusham tam aham bhajami.". Similarly, we repeat Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. Why do we repeat? The more we repeat means we learn to love. That is required. Anything which you do not love, you cannot repeat. It will be disgusting. Sometimes those who are not in Krsna conscious life also feel this repetition as disgusting, hackneyed, because they have not developed love.

Rupa Goswami says, “What shall I chant with one tongue and what shall I hear with two ears? If I would have possessed millions of tongues then I could chant a little.” Because they have got love for Krsna, they are tasting the nectarean of chanting. They cannot give it up. So real thing is to develop love for Krsna. That is the Vrndavana standard.

In Vrndavana, Nanda Maharaja and Yashoda-mayi, Radharani, the gopis, the cowherdsmen, boys, cows, calves, and trees, they do know that Krsna is God. You have read in Krsna book, sometimes when Krsna does something wonderful, they take Him as a wonderful child, that’s all. They love Krsna more than anything. They do not know anything except Krsna. Whether Krsna is God or not, whether the symptoms of God are there or not, the inhabitants of Vrndavana do not care, they love Him. That’s all. That is wanted. We have to increase our love for Krsna; therefore we have this temple worship. If you always engage in Krsna's service, naturally you develop love for Krsna. Caitanya Mahaprabhu says that prema, love for Krsna, love for God, that is the highest achievement in human life. It is not religiosity. Religiosity is a different thing. Everyone goes to the church or temple with some material purpose generally. Of course, that is good. Four classes of men whose background is pious life go to God, church or temple, when they’re distressed. Others, those whose background is not piety, simply mischief, they cannot go. But our relationship with God is so permanent that artificially we may try to banish God some way or other—still it is there. To become an atheist is simply artificial. These godless persons, when they’re actually in danger, they think of God. I have seen it. Automatically they think of God. So this godlessness is not our natural life. To love God, that is our natural life.

The Krsna consciousness movement means to approach the original Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna, directly. This is a special gift of Lord Caitanya...So there is a great need of this Krsna consciousness movement, and this is practical, very easy, and just suitable for this age. There is no consideration of qualification. Whatever your past life may be, you simply come here, chant Hare Krsna with your tongue—God has given you a tongue—and taste Krsna prasada, this Love Feast, and make your life successful. (Brahma-samhita 5:58, Classes by Srila Prabhupada 2/10/1969, 10/20/1968)

In a temple of jewels in Vrndavana, underneath a desire tree, Sri Sri Radha-Govinda, served by Their most confidential associates, sit upon an effulgent throne. I offer my humble obeisances unto Them.

(Srila Krsnadasa Kaviraja Goswami CC Adi-lila 1.16)

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna,

Krishna Krishna Hare Hare,

Hare Rama Hare Rama,

Rama Rama Hare Hare

A GENUINE SPIRITUAL MASTER TRIES TO GET PEOPLE TO BECOME DEVOTEES OF KRSNA

Reporter: What about the person who seriously wants to find spiritual life but who happens to finish up with the wrong guru? Were their spiritual lives in any way spoiled by the fake gurus?

Srila Prabhupada: No, they were genuinely seeking something spiritual, and that was their qualification. God is within everyone’s heart, and as soon as someone genuinely seeks Him, He helps that person find a genuine guru. If you simply want an ordinary education, you have to devote so much time, labor, and understanding to it. Similarly, if you are going to take to spiritual life, you must become serious. How is it that simply by some wonderful mantras, someone can become God in six months? Why do people want something like that? This means that they want to be cheated.

The genuine guru is God’s representative, and he speaks about God and nothing else. The genuine guru is he who has no interest in materialistic life. He is after God, and God only. That is one of the tests of a genuine guru. He is absorbed in the Absolute Truth. In the Mundaka Upanishad it is stated, “The genuine guru is well versed in the scriptures and Vedic knowledge, and he is completely dependent on Brahman.” He should know what Brahman [spirit] is and how to become situated in Brahman. These signs are given in the Vedic literature. As I said before, the real guru is God’s representative. He represents the Supreme Lord, just as a viceroy represents a king. The real guru will not manufacture anything. Everything he says is in accordance with the scriptures and the previous acharyas. He will not give you a mantra and tell you that you will become God in six months. This is not a guru’s business. A guru’s business is to canvass everyone to become a devotee of God. That is the sum and substance of a real guru’s business. Indeed, he has no other business. He tells whomever he sees, “Please become God conscious.” If he canvasses somehow or other on behalf of God and tries to get everyone to become a devotee of God, he is a genuine guru.

Christian, Muhammadan, Hindu—it doesn’t matter. If he is simply speaking on behalf of God, he is a guru. Lord Jesus Christ, for instance. He canvassed people, saying, “Just try to love God.” Anyone—it doesn’t matter who—be he Hindu, Muslim, or Christian, is a guru if he convinces people to love God. That is the test. The guru never says, “I am God,” or “I will make you God.” The real guru says, “I am a servant of God, and I will make you a servant of God also.” It doesn’t matter how the guru is dressed. As Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, “Whoever can impart knowledge about Krsna is a spiritual master.” A genuine spiritual master simply tries to get people to become devotees of Krsna, or God. He has no other business. (Science of Self Realization)

O Rupa Goswami! When will you, out of your causeless mercy, enable this poor wretched soul to reside in Vraja? You are a ragatmika devotee—an eternally liberated, intimate associate of Radha and Krsna. This humble servant of yours desires to become a loyal follower of your lotus feet. (Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura- Saranagati, Hankering for Divine Service)

"The mission of Bhagavatam with which I have come here is altogether a new thing for the Americans. Still the most astonishing thing is that whenever and wherever I speak, they take it very nicely. That is good sign for them. After my lecture they come to me and offer their thanks for the nice speech and accept the philosophy when they are spoken with human understanding."

(Srila Prabhupada letter, 20th January 1966)

Guest guest

THE FALSE PRIDE THAT MAKES ONE THINK THAT HE CAN WRITE BETTER THAN THE PREVIOUS ACHARYAS WILL MAKE ONE'S COMMENTS FAULTY

Lord Caitanya said to Vallabha Bhatta, "You have dared criticize Shridhara Swami, and you have begun your own commentary on Srimad-Bhagavatam, not accepting his authority. That is your false pride. Shridhara Swami is the spiritual master of the entire world because by his mercy we can understand Srimad-Bhagavatam. I therefore accept him as a spiritual master. Whatever you might write due to false pride, trying to surpass Shridhara Swami, would carry a contrary purport. Therefore no one would pay attention to it. One who comments on Srimad-Bhagavatam following in the footsteps of Shridhara Swami will be honored and accepted by everyone. Put forth your explanation of Srimad-Bhagavatam following in the footsteps of Shridhara Swami. Giving up your false pride, worship the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna. Abandoning your offenses, chant the Hare Krsna maha-mantra, the holy names of the Lord. Then very soon you will achieve shelter at the lotus feet of Krsna."

Srimad-Bhagavatam has many tikas, or commentaries, following the parampara system, but Shridhara Swami's is first. The commentaries of all the other acharyas follow his. The parampara system does not allow one to deviate from the commentaries of the previous acharyas. By depending upon the previous acharyas, one can write beautiful commentaries. However, one cannot defy the previous acharyas. The false pride that makes one think that he can write better than the previous acharyas will make one's comments faulty. At the present moment it has become fashionable for everyone to write in his own way, but such writing is never accepted by serious devotees. Because of false pride, every scholar and philosopher wants to exhibit his learning by interpreting the shastras, especially Bhagavad-gita and Srimad-Bhagavatam, in his own way. This system of commenting in one's own way is fully condemned by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Therefore He says commentaries written according to one's own philosophical way are never accepted; no one will appreciate such commentaries on the revealed scriptures.

Vallabha Bhatta admitted, "I am a great fool, and indeed I have acted like a fool by trying to demonstrate to You my learning. My dear Lord, You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead. You have showed mercy to me in a way just befitting Your position by insulting me to cut down all my false pride. I am an ignorant fool, for I interpret as an insult what is meant for my benefit, just like King Indra, who out of ignorance tried to surpass Krsna, the Supreme Lord. My dear Lord, You have cured the blindness of my false pride by smearing my eyes with the ointment of Your mercy. You have bestowed so much mercy upon me that my ignorance is now gone. My dear Lord, I have committed offenses. Please excuse me. I seek shelter of You. Please be merciful unto me by placing Your lotus feet on my head."

( Sri Vallabha Bhatta- C.C.Antya-lila 7.126-130)

Posted Image

Whatever You Have Done -- I Forgive You

Srila Prabhupada came to New York during the summer of 1969. At that time the devotees

had already settled in to the new storefront at 61 Second Avenue (between 3rd & 4th Sts) after moving from 26 Second Ave. The temple room at 61 Second Avenue was larger but there was very limited room in the back for the kitchen and living quarters. As Prabhupada’s arrival day drew nearer the dilemma of where he was going to stay grew more urgent. At the time I was still living at home on Long Island but coming to the temple for the Sunday feasts and evening kirtans during the week. My childhood friend, Jimmy Feldman, had joined the temple at the beginning of the summer and was initiated by mail and given the name Yamunacharya Das. I first heard about ISKCON and Srila Prabhupada from him and for that he has my eternal gratitude.

Yamunacarya’s father was a wealthy man and although he lived in a large house on Long Island he also maintained a nice apartment in the Beaux Arts building at Tudor City Place which was right across from the United Nations. Mr. Feldman rarely used the place so Yamunacharya asked his father if the apartment could be used to facilitate Srila Prabhupada. Mr. Feldman agreed.

Srila Prabhupada liked the fact that he was staying right across from the United Nations and during several darsans and talks that took place at the Beaux Arts he mentioned how they are saying United Nations but just see how so many different flags are flying outside the U.N. building. There is no meaning of united -- or brotherhood -- without acknowledging that we have a common Father -- God -- Sri Krsna.

One afternoon the devotees went to see Srila Prabhupada and everybody began settling into the living room to listen to him speak. Just as Prabhupada was about to begin there was some commotion at the door. Yamunacharya was there and he didn’t want to come inside and sit down. He was feeling very low and fallen because that morning he had snuck a cigarette. He didn’t feel worthy of joining his godbrothers and sisters and just wanted to stand outside the door and listen. Srila Prabhupada asked what was the cause of the commotion and somebody told him that Yamunacharya didn’t want to come in because he felt unworthy and too sinful. Prabhupada laughed and called to him, saying, “Whatever you have done, I forgive you. . . now come inside and join us.”

Swarup Das

Just like a small child is crying. Then what is the child's interest? It is searching after the mother's breast. So anyone who knows, immediately he takes the child and brings to the mother, "Take care of your child. She is crying." And the mother takes on the breast. The child is immediately happy. The child cannot express what does he want, but he is simply crying. But one who knows what for she is crying or he is crying, he takes that, he helps with the child, and then the child is happy….

So those who are interested with the gross external energy and subtle external energy, their amibition of life will never be fulfilled. Durasaya. Those who are interested with Visnu, and one who is showing the path of Visnu, he is his real friend. One who is giving Krsna consciousness, he is the real friend of the world.

Srimad-Bhagavatam 7.5.30

London, September 9, 1971

"I was on a morning walk with Srila Prabhupada in Vrindaban, India -- August, 1974. It was hot and the flies were driving me and everybody else crazy. I asked Srila Prabhupada if there were flies in the spiritual world (in a way as if to say if there are then I don't want to go). He answered, "Yes, but they are not bothersome like these flies. . . and when they buzz they are buzzing Hare Krishna."

Swarup Das

"The Spiritual Master and Krishna are two parallel lines. You have to make your progress on these two parallel lines, you cannot avoid one in preference of the other. The train, on two tracks, moves forward. The Spiritual Master and Krishna are like these two tracks, they must be served simultaneously. Krishna helps one to find a bona fide Spiritual Master, and bonafide Spiritual Master helps one to understand Krishna."

(Srila Prabhupada letter, 12th February, 1968)

"Since I have come to New York from Butler, Pensylvania, I have rented the above room at $70.00 per month and I am delivering lectures on the Bhagwat Geeta and Srimad Bhagavatam accompanied by Samkirtan and three American ladies and gentleman come to hear me. You will be surprised to know that they do not understand the language of the Sanskrit and yet they hear with attention. The movement which I have started here is completely new to them because Americans are generally acquainted with the Indian Yogic gymnastics as it is performed by some Indian yogis here. They never heard of Bhakti cult or the Science of Krishna before and still they are hearing me -- this very idea is a great success for me."

(Srila Prabhupada letter, 18th March 1966)