IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
jayaisvara

Chanting in public

Rate this topic

Hare Krsna, Jai Guru-Gauranga

Does chanting in public amongst other materialistic persons make a neophyte more faithful, if at first faith is low?

Which mindset should the neophyte devotee adopt when chanting in public amongst others who haven't most likely heard of Lord Krsna? Can the neophyte adopt the mindset that, "By chanting, these people are hearing the name of the Lord and thereby the glory and fame of God will spread"?

But the very dangerous thing is, the neophyte can easily rob the name and fame to himself. Thus, what can a neophyte do, if told by a senior Vaisnava, that chanting in public would help our spiritual advancement, yet, there are lots of traps for the neophyte to become lusty for name and fame and thus fall victim into illusion.

Just chant for the sake of chanting. Those are the beautiful names of the Lord. Just do it for Him.

If in the process somebody hears and wants to join, then that is good.

Pretend you are a sheet of blank newspaper. On the paper is written a beautiful story, and people read the story and are captivated. This is not the glory of the paper, but the glory of the author.

So, remember that you are not the author, but just a blank sheet of paper. When people look at you and see something beautiful, realize that they are seeing not you but only Krishna, and you are just a medium for conveying His beauty.

Guest guest

Does chanting in public amongst other materialistic persons make a neophyte more faithful, if at first faith is low?

••in public or privately harinama increases faith and love for krsna

Which mindset should the neophyte devotee adopt when chanting in public amongst others who haven't most likely heard of Lord Krsna?

••read siksastakam

Can the neophyte adopt the mindset that, "By chanting, these people are hearing the name of the Lord and thereby the glory and fame of God will spread"?

••better: "by chanting i go back to godhead, all these wonderful persons give to me the opportunity to be in the samkirtana movement.. so i will be saved.. many thanks!!"

But the very dangerous thing is, the neophyte can easily rob the name and fame to himself.

••maya is there when we are alone and when we are in public... no difference.. no mercy...

Thus, what can a neophyte do, if told by a senior Vaisnava, that chanting in public would help our spiritual advancement

••that's a perfect vaishnava conclusion.. our duty is to execute it

there are lots of traps for the neophyte to become lusty for name and fame and thus fall victim into illusion.

••so let us chant to call krsna's protection

I really dont know how chanting in public will make you fall for fame, because I keep chanting all the time even while at work in lab and I keep the tone in such a way that its not a nuisance to someone, but just a melody. everyone around me knows that I am singing God's name, but it never bothered me about what they think about me or neither it increased any thought of becoming famous in my mind. How is it going to make someone famous for us to fall is actually my question, when chanting of Harinama comes from within without any care for the environment you are in. Not only here in US, I was like this while at India too and never bothered me.

Dont be conscious, whether people are looking at you or hearing you or anything. when you are not conscious of your chanting, nothing affects you, because this chanting comes from within out of deep devotion.

Guest guest

"I really dont know how chanting in public will make you fall for fame, because I keep chanting all the time even while at work"

you are a very fortunate soul and a sincere devotee, please pray that one day i will have the same attitude

in this way i will fulfill a direct instruction received by my spiritual master that now i am neglecting

hare krishna.. my obeisances to you

yasoda nandana dasa

Guest guest

The link what you provided has some more links on the bottom that takes us to the explanations given by Swami Sivanandha, speaking on Shri Krishna Avathar.

Thanks for the link and its really nice to share with friends on the occassion of Shri Krishna Jayanthi

Raghavan

It is pride only that does this. Also, I don't know how to be fully devoted because I am not even at the neophyte stage. And if I consciously chant, then that would be only to force my pride to kill itself. If somehow or another, I can forcibly sacrifice my pride, in the name of God, hopefully, something good will come out of that.

We are alteady in the false pride position. Just assumne you are chanting filled with false pride and beg Lord Caitanya to please show you your real position.

As our knowledge of Krsna's glories expand our insignificance will become also apparent.

Of course we want to avoid increasing false pride so it is good you are concerned and alert to it.

I was on campus today seeking some shade and listening to gita verses on tape when I heard the kirtan party coming up Telegraph Ave. They stop across the street for a short time. It was really nice.

There was this young family walking by and the young boy, about three years old, was behind them and kept looking back at the kirtan party. As he did he kept dancing in time to the drum and kartals with one arm raised and pointing his little index finger towards the sky. I swear I heard the soul inside shouting "haribol haribol, Nitai Gaura, haribol!"

He was surely benefited, rather some of them had some lingering false pride or not.