IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Ban on "gay" marriage

Rate this topic

That US military policy also carries considerable irony. One of my friends in high school (not a close friend, but a friend nonetheless) was Lucian K. Truscott IV. When we graduated, he went to West Point, as did his father and grandfather. He grandfather was Ge. Lucian K Truscott, who commanded armies in WW II in Europe and, I think, northern Africa (played by John Doucette in the 1970 movie Patton). Lucian has written several novels set at West Point and in the US Army. The first, Dress Gray, was a best seller. One thread that runs through all of them is a clandestine network of homosexuals, from recruiters, through West Point, all the way to the Pentagon. (It reminds me of the homosexual underground network that runs from domestic servants to the highest ranks of government and aristocracy in Proust's Sodom et Gommorh.) I doubt that it would be so prominent in Truscott's novels if there weren't something to it.

I was responding to posts about the "don't ask, don't tell" policy the US military. This thread, as best I can remember, addresses same-sex marriage in US civil life, not in Srila Prabhupada's temples.

As far as any "lifestyle" you may have in your mind, I'm not aware of anyone advocating establishing a "gay lifestyle" (whatever the hell that means) in Srila Prabhupada's temples. Most of what I've read is folks suggesting that gays who come to the temple not be demonized and marginalized, which is right in line with Srila Prabhupada's example. Some find it ironic that so many of us are more focused on "protecting " Prabhupada's temples from "perversions" than with our own genuine spiritual progress. It seems kind of like church. It reminds me of an incident in my youth, when I took my Southern-Baptist fiancee out to dinner in DC on my birthday. As we sat drinking adult beverages, she noticed Dr. Ford, her church's minister, at a table across the room, drinking and laughing it up. Although she was a little nervous, I calmed her down by assuring her that he would never say anything to anyone.

Rather, I'm beyond upset about the changes established over the last 25 years by ISKCON's leaders. Want a list? Pick anything in the "ISKCON Law Book." That, and the centralization and bureaucracy that attend it, are the core deviations. What ISKCON and Srila Prabhupada's temples need are the character and broad-mindedness that grow naturally form genuine spritual progress. They should attend to the foundation before spending their fortunes on the facade.

Guest guest

As A lesbian myself I am appaled that the govornment of my country is telling me I can't wed a woman because I am one. They are saying well if you were born a man ther would be no problem in your loving a woman but as it stands you have no right to love them. And while straight people claim a civil union is just the same I dont ever want to ask some one to civil union me. It does not sound as pure or as beautiful as "will you marry me?" I want the right to call the woman i love my wife not just my life partner its the concept. A wife is forever A partner is sounds like we are in highschool doing a science project

It's a big universe. I am sure your desire can be accomodated. Perhaps a whole planet where the human forms are all female and reproduction is even possible amongst them. Why not? Anything is possible.

But the fact is the arrangement by God through nature for this planet earth is very different.

Guest guest

There are always exceptions to the general rule. As Bhaktivinoda Thakura himself states: "Ah! Vaishnava-dharma is very liberal. All jivas have the right to vaishnava-dharma; that is why it is also known as jaiva-dharma. Even outcastes can live as grhasthas, although they are not part of varnasrama." ("Jaiva Dharma" p. 172)

I'm sure Radha and Krsna will accept your lesbian marriage as long as you and your partner center your home and lives on Their worship.