IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

self realization the complete cure

Rate this topic

Racism: Ignorance born of iIlusion

Understand the self and its relationship to the Supreme Self is the ultimate cure for all problems, individual and socialogical. Take racism for example.

Racism: Ignorance born of illusion

Q. You say racism is born of illusion. But what does that mean?

A. To be illusioned is to accept that which appears to be truth,as truth, even though it is not. In terms of identity, it refers to accepting the physical body to be the self, the living being. The truth is however, the self is the non-pysical consciousness who is dwelling in the body, who is giving animation to the body.

O son of Bharata, as the sun alone illuminates all this universe, so does the

living entity, one within the body, illuminate the entire body by

consciousness. - Bhagavad-gita 13:34

Q. So how does that produce racism?

A. Well, if someone falsely conceives of one's self as a physical body, then it naturallyfollows that that person will be identifying with all of that body's characteristics. If my body is white, black, asian or whatever, I'll think that I am white, black, or asian. And I will also direct this faulty vision outward onto others. And i will be inclined to form alliances on this mistaken notion. Birds of a feather flock together One will feel that person's of one's own race are more my brother or sister than those "other people." From this 'us and them' mentality racial hatred and prejudice takes it birth. The fundemental misconceptionis thinking I am this this body.

Q. So what is the solution?

A. The solution is to develop a true understanding of our real spiritual nature and to learn to see others in this same light To know who we all really are. What our true essence really is.

One who always sees all living entities as spiritual sparks, in quality one with

with the Lord, becomes a true knower of things. What,then, can be

illusion or anxiety for him. - Sri Isopanisad Mantra 7

When we develop this vision of reality we will possess a true unbiased sense of unity with

all. And from this sense of unity in diversity we will be living in an elevated state of

awareness. One in which respect towards others is easily and naturally given. We will treat others equally when we see that we are truly equal as spiritual beings, despite what our present temporary staus in the world may be.

He is a perfect yogi who by comparison to his own self, sees the true equality

of all beings, in both their happiness and distress, O Arjuna! -

Bhagavad-gita 6.32

He who sees everything in relation to the Supreme Lord, who sees all entities

as His parts and parcls and who sees the Supreme Lord within everything,

never hates anything nor any being. - Sri Isopanisad Mantra 6

To go beyond racism we must put an end to ignorance. We end ignorance by acquiring knowledge. And real knowledge is to understand our relationship to the Supreme Self and others on the absolute plane - that is the final and only solution.

Thank you for considering these points. My respects to all.