IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

"I fear only God. I am ready to sacrifice my blood for this country."

Rate this topic

U.S. troops gear up for clash with cleric

Soldiers were massing on the outskirts of Najaf for a showdown with Muqtada al-Sadr.

AP 2004-04-14 02:52:55

NAJAF, IRAQ -- A 2,500-strong U.S. force, backed by tanks and artillery, massed yesterday on the outskirts of Najaf for a showdown with a radical cleric whose militia led a bloody uprising across the south, raising fears of an American assault on the holiest Shiite city. Meanwhile, U.S. officials uncovered four bodies, possibly those of private contractors missing since an attack on their convoy outside Baghdad amid a worsening string of kidnappings of at least 22 foreigners in Iraq.

Iraqi politicians and ayatollahs tried to negotiate a solution to avert a U.S. attack on Najaf, which would outrage the country's relatively pro-U.S. Shiite majority and could turn what has been a limited revolt by a single militia into an outright Shiite rebellion.

A military advance could also inflame Shiites in neighbouring Iran.

The vehemently anti-U.S. cleric, Muqtada al-Sadr, was holed up in his office in Najaf, shielded not only by gunmen but by the presence of the city's main shrine only metres away. He vowed to continue what he called "a popular revolution" to end the U.S. occupation of Iraq.

"I fear only God. I am ready to sacrifice my blood for this country. But I call on the Iraqi people not to let my killing put an end to their rejection of the (U.S.) occupation," al-Sadr told Lebanon's Al Manar television station.

U.S. commanders vowed to kill or capture al-Sadr, although officials suggested they would give negotiations a chance.

"The target is not Najaf. The target is Muqtada al-Sadr and his militia," said Brig. Mark Kimmitt, deputy head of U.S. military operations in Iraq. "We will hunt him down and destroy him. We would prefer it not in Najaf or Karbala. We have very great respect for the shrines, for the Shiites."

U.S. troops also detained a representative of al-Sadr for several hours in a Baghdad hotel. He said they apologized before setting him free.

Hazem al-Aaraji -- who is also an outspoken anti-U.S. cleric -- was detained in the conference hall of the Sheraton hotel during a meeting of tribal leaders. His bodyguards tried to prevent the arrest but were pushed aside by about six soldiers. Hours later, al-Aaraji was set free.

I supported the war and am glad Saddam is gone. Not for the WMD arguement but for the sake of the Iraqi people. But I'm am doubting their readiness or even willness to accept their own version of a demoncracy.

I oftenn wonder when I see them dancing in the streets before the cameras with their AK 47's if they aren't just really bored.

Why do the stupid Iraqis think they're being 'occupied'?

Since the government has been overthrown (and I agree, Saddam was very bad), the US has stepped in civil and military matters. Therefore, Iraq is under occupation, and will be at least until the self imposed deadline by the Bush Administration (June 30) is expended. The true debate is not whether Iraq is occupied or not, but whether it's a necessary occupation (i.e. when Germany was occupied by Allied Forces in 1945), or a bad occupation.

But I suppose if all them are "stupid Iraqis", they deserve occupation regardless of conditions. Sort of like when the British told Gandhi that the Indian people were not able to rule themselves.