IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Do I have a soul or am I a soul?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ther is a big difference here in understanding and experience.

Do i have a soul that i know nothing about

or

Am i a soul who is completely covered

since time immemorial?

Either way i don't know who the heck i am!

But this body seems to be a great impediment in my search to self realization.

The body makes me believe that all i am is this flesh and sensory experience.

I am applying myself in the wrong way -

as an act of will or

instead of an act of grace coming down

to me from above.

praying and endeavoring,

krsnadas

The virus boil of the false ego appears on the soul and then it spreads into material mind and body warts. The jiva-soul's attention becomes consumed with these unsightly boils and warts until they finally begin to regress, due to the medicine of love of God (normal soul-type activities). But while identifying with the boils and warts the poor soul experiences a horrible existence, beyond words, terrors knowable only by contacting the disease itself.

A high school girl with a large pimple on her nose, becomes consumed with the pimple and becomes the pimple and forgets that she is the beautiful flower child, queen of the prom.

One might think that when we are in illusion we see we are a body with a soul, but when we are in knowledge we see that we are pure soul with a big bad boil body attached. So we do soul-type stuff and gradually remember how beautiful life can be, wart-free.

Guest guest

A good counselling theraputic healing approach

to the suffering jiva condition.

praying to rid meself of all viruses

krsnadas

One might think that when we are in illusion we see we are a body with a soul, but when we are in knowledge we see that we are pure soul with a big bad boil body attached. So we do soul-type stuff and gradually remember how beautiful life can be, wart-free.

Guest guest

"But this body seems to be a great impediment in my search to self realization."

your body will be the instrument of your deliverance if you (me, we, he, she, they), like arjuna in bhagavad gita, will surrender completely to sri krsna. There's not a real possibility to renounce to the body or to the mind, the only way is to use them in krishna consciousness and spirtualize them..

We worship the feets of the guru and vaishnavas because, even if they are made by flesh and bones, they are spiritual and trascendental because they are completely devoted to krsna's service

Guest guest

If you are identified with the body, then why don't you apply "neti, neti" method and cut the chord of doubt. This is what Sankara did, it is called the path of negation. Once you eliminate everthing in this manner, whatever remains is the real you.

I am glad you feel you got something out of that virus thing, warts and all. I couldn't tell whether it was humour, nonsense or genius beyond my understanding. I read it and hesitated pressing the POST key. As I reconsider it though, I guess there is some enchantment to the metaphor.

that you are a soul! You cannot say, "do I have a soul?" as, it would mean, there is something or somebody, other than soul, or even powerful than soul, that owns your soul. Obviously this is not true, because, other than soul, you have a material body, which is perishable, due to diseases and death. It is definitely true that, Maya, is the whole cause of our trouble, which covers the true nature of our soul, and from behind the veil of this Maya, everything appears completely different than what it actually is!

Guest guest

How is this possible?

krsnadas

It is definitely true that, Maya, is the whole cause of our trouble, which covers the true nature of our soul, and from behind the veil of this Maya, everything appears completely different than what it actually is!

Guest guest

Hare Krishna

If you are identified with the body, then why don't you apply "neti, neti" method and cut the chord of doubt. This is what Sankara did, it is called the path of negation. Once you eliminate everthing in this manner, whatever remains is the real you.

--------------guestji

what 'neti, neti' method? what is that?

Haribol

Guest guest

means "not this, not this." Every time you are identified with your thoughts, body or what you will, you say 'i am not this,'. That way, you can eliminate everything Braman is NOT. By eliminating thus, you come to experience brahman. That's why it is called the path of negation-you find out your true nature by eliminating that which is blocking it.

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita Madhya 7.66:<BLOCKQUOTE><CENTER><font color="RED">alaukika vAkya ceSTA tAGra nA bujhiyA

parihAsa kariyAchi tAGre ‘vaiSNava' baliyA

</center>

alaukika--uncommon; vAkya--words; ceSTA--endeavor; tAGra--his; nA--without; bujhiyA--understanding; parihAsa--joking; kariyAchi--I have done; tAGre--unto him; vaiSNava--a devotee of the Lord; baliyA--as.

</font>

"I could not realize when I first spoke with RAmAnanda RAya that his topics and endeavors were all transcendentally uncommon. I made fun of him simply because he was a VaiSNava."

PURPORT

Anyone who is a not a VaiSNava, or an unalloyed devotee of the Supreme Lord, must be a materialist. A VaiSNava living according to SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu's injunctions is certainly not on the materialistic platform. Caitanya means "spiritual force." All of SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu's activities were carried out on the platform of spiritual understanding; therefore only those who are on the spiritual platform are able to understand the activities of SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu.

Materialistic persons cannot understand these activities and are generally known as karmIs or jJAnIs. The jJAnIs are mental speculators who simply try to understand what is spirit and what is matter. Their process is neti neti: "This is not spirit, this is not Brahman." The jJAnIs are a little more advanced than the dull-headed karmIs, who are simply interested in sense gratification. Before becoming a VaiSNava, SArvabhauma BhaTTAcArya was a mental speculator (jJAnI), and being such, he always cut jokes with VaiSNavas. A VaiSNava never agrees with the speculative system of the jJAnIs.

Both the jJAnIs and karmIs depend on direct sense perception for their imperfect knowledge. The karmIs never agree to accept anything not directly perceived, and the jJAnIs put forth only hypotheses. However, the VaiSNavas, the unalloyed devotees of the Lord, do not follow the process of acquiring knowledge by direct sense perception or mental speculation. Because they are servants of the Supreme Lord, devotees receive knowledge directly from the Supreme Personality of Godhead as He speaks it in the Bhagavad-gItA, or sometimes as He imparts it from within as the caittya-guru. As Lord KRSNa states in the Bhagavad-gItA (10.10):

<CENTER><font color="RED">

teSAM satata-yuktAnAM bhajatAM prIti-pUrvakam

dadAmi buddhi-yogaM taM yena mAm upayAnti te

</center></font>

"To those who are constantly devoted to serving Me with love, I give the understanding by which they can come to Me."

The Vedas are considered to have been spoken by the Supreme Lord. They were first realized by BrahmA, who is the first created being within the universe (tene brahma hRdA ya Adi-kavaye). Our process is to receive knowledge through the paramparA system, from KRSNa to BrahmA, to NArada, VyAsa, SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu and the six GosvAmIs. By disciplic succession, Lord BrahmA was enlightened from within by the original person, KRSNa. Our knowledge is fully perfect due to being handed from master to disciple.

A VaiSNava is always engaged in the transcendental loving service of the Lord, and thus neither karmIs nor jJAnIs can understand the activities of a VaiSNava. It is said, vaiSNavera kriyA-mudrA vijJeha nA bujhaya: even the most learned man depending on direct perception of knowledge cannot understand the activities of a VaiSNava. After being initiated into VaiSNavism by SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu, SArvabhauma BhaTTAcArya realized what a mistake he had made in trying to understand RAmAnanda RAya, who was very learned and whose endeavors were all directed to rendering transcendental loving service to the Lord.</BLOCKQUOTE>

gHari

Guest guest

Conciouness is like water, if you put water in a bottle it will become of the shape of the bottle, this is the same with the body and the soul, the soul is the source of conciouness, if you put conciouness in a human body, the conciouness will think it is the human body. If you put the same conciouness in a fly, it will think it is the fly.