IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
ancient_paztriot

Transcendental Movement

Rate this topic

Hridayananda…

This Krsna consciousness movement - which we are presenting - should not be misunderstood as an Indian movement or an Eastern movement or a Western movement. It is actually a spiritual movement… a pure transcendental movement. (Uh, this tape is dated May 1978).

Just like for example now the sun is over Miami, but the sun is not a Miami sun. And similarly, when the sun goes over Japan it is not a Japanese sun. The sun is always universal.

So in the same way, wherever this Krsna consciousness may appear; either in India or in America or South America or Canada or Europe, it is a transcendental movement coming from the spiritual platform. And there is great need of it in the present time in America.

… in the family, if the father is intelligent and the children obey him, then the family goes very nicely. But if the father's forgotten or not obeyed, then the family becomes chaotic. This is a very simple thing.

In the same way, we are actually meant to follow the law of God. If we do not follow the law, despite how much money we may have in our bank account, despite what particular car we are driving, the title we have after our name or how beautiful we may be or how strong or famous, we are in fact, criminals because we are not following the laws of God. Anyone who does not follow the law, he's criminal.

So there are other laws beyond the whimsical laws that our so-called legislators are making every day. Simply we have so many legislators… many of them are drunkards or woman hunters or whatever they may be… some of them may have a little sincerity… but none of them have good brains. And they are simply making one law after the other - making politics - and the whole country is going to hell.

So what we are trying to do very frankly in this Krsna movement, we are trying to train up a group of men and women who are purified and competent and qualified to give this country something it has not had for a long time - and that is spiritual direction.

I am a human being. I have intelligence. By my intelligence I can distinguish that there is a soul within my body. Now the pig, he cannot distinguish there is a soul within the body. A pig or a dog, they cannot read scriptures, they cannot chant God's name. They can simply eat and sleep, have sex and fight with each other.

But we are not meant to be like pigs and dogs and restrict our activites to eating very nicely in fancy restaurants, living in a very nice condominium or mansion… a very nice house… uh, defending ourselves with so many nuclear weapons… a very active, a very vigorous sex life.

Nowadays people think that if I do these things then my life is perfect, I'm successful, I've made it. This is not a fact.

Because these four activities… while they cannot be denied or repressed… alone they constitute only animal life and not human life. These things are basic necessities. Just like one have to go to the bathroom, but one should not congradulate himself that today I've gone to the bathrroom 3 times, Now I'm a big man. Now my life is successful. No.

So in the same way, just because one can eat in a nice restaurant or sleep in a penthouse or have very nice sex, these are simply bodily necessities. They don't mean that life is successful… simply to fulfill these bodily necessities. Life becomes sucessful when we can understand God and understand the soul within this body.

So what we are trying to do very frankly in this Krsna movement, we are trying to train up a group of men and women who are purified and competent and qualified to give this country something it has not had for a long time - and that is spiritual direction.

I like this. I suppose devotees might say that to be patriotic is a material designation (like I'm black, I'm white, I'm a woman, I'm a man etc...). But I think it would be great to show practically how this philosophy can be translated into political and practical terms. Right now there is gearing up to an election process in the U.S. Wouldn't it be great to be able to explain how this philosophy can make this country better?

Guest guest

Wouldn't it be great if we could stop thinking in terms of this world and start thinking instead how we could make 'the universe' a better place instead of just one planet ?

Guest guest

Wouldn't it be great if we could stop thinking in terms of this universe and start thinking instead how we could make 'the entire material creation' a better place instead of just one universe ?

Guest guest

Moral of the story: Start with youself, then make you house a better place, then make your country a better place... Don't try to jump to Utopia because you will just imagine and imagine all the while doing nothing.

Guest guest

sure, let's all start with ourselves. That's exactly the kind of mentality that will get us nowhere. I agree that we need to look at ourselves, and try our best to better ourselves, but I'll be damned if I ever accept something like borders or race which are nothing else but reasons for discrimination...