IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
kailasa

long life

Rate this topic

Although Lord Brahma has a long life-span (4,320,000,000 years constitute twelve hours in a day of Brahma),

The duration of one day of Brahma is one thousand times greater than the four yugas, aggregating 4,320,000 years. Similarly, Brahma's one night. Brahma lives for one hundred years of such days and nights.

As stated in the Bhagavad-gita, one can compare the long duration of life of the inhabitants of Brahma's planet, which is inconceivable to the inhabitants of this planet earth, to the categorical value of the brain of Brahmaji, also inconceivable to any great scientist of this planet.

Even the duration of one day, or twelve hours, of Brahma is 4,300,000 years multiplied by one thousand. Thus the duration of his life is inconceivable for an ordinary human being. The demigods are therefore sometimes called amara, which means "one who has no death." In this material world, however, everyone has to die.

BG 2.13

"As the embodied soul continuously passes, in this body, from boyhood to youth to old age, the soul similarly passes into another body at death. A sober person is not bewildered by such a change."

PURPORT

Since every living entity is an individual soul, each is changing his body every moment, manifesting sometimes as a child, sometimes as a youth, and sometimes as an old man. Yet the same spirit soul is there and does not undergo any change. This individual soul finally changes the body at death and transmigrates to another body; and since it is sure to have another body in the next birth—either material or spiritual—there was no cause for lamentation by Arjuna on account of death, neither for Bhisma nor for Drona, for whom he was so much concerned. Rather, he should rejoice for their changing bodies from old to new ones, thereby rejuvenating their energy. Such changes of body account for varieties of enjoyment or suffering, according to one's work in life. So Bhisma and Drona, being noble souls, were surely going to have spiritual bodies in the next life, or at least life in heavenly bodies for superior enjoyment of material existence. So, in either case, there was no cause of lamentation.

Any man who has perfect knowledge of the constitution of the individual soul, the Supersoul, and nature—both material and spiritual—is called a dhira, or a most sober man. Such a man is never deluded by the change of bodies..."

Foolish materialists will pay millions of dollars to extend their lives by a few weeks or months in a hospital, but they do not appreciate someone endeavoring for eternal life. There is no actual logic in material life.

Some of our devotees, they go to the hospital, and they purchase our books and they become a devotee. Even in hospital bed they're reading Srimad-Bhagavatam, Bhagavad-gita, and taking benefit. That is real remedy. So after being cured, he'll become a devotee. So this medicine is not cure. This literature is cure, Krsna consciousness. That is real cure.

"Why not purified? Because they have no shelter. So in spite of their so much austerity, penance, Vedanta reading and jugglery of words, they come back again to the hospital. That’s all. That is their business. "

Guest: But is it a serious movement? If the Beatles are telling the truth, Hare Krsna is a little bit of a bluff.

Prabhupada: Who says bluff? Who is that fool? Who is that rascal?

Guest: The Beatles.

Hamsaduta: George Harrison has just bought us a big house.

Prabhupada: Some rascal might have taken, but I know George is our very good devotee.

Guest: George Harrison is your member?

Prabhupada: Yes. Oh, yes.

Guest: Do you have lots of members?

Prabhupada: Yes, certainly. Don’t you see?

Guest: How many?

Prabhupada: Thousands.

Hamsaduta: About five thousand all over the world.

Prabhupada: Those are initiated. Otherwise there are many thousands, our admirers.

Guest: In all the countries.

Prabhupada: All over the world. Yes.

Guest: Thank you very much. (break)

Prabhupada: It is bluff? Who is that rascal?

Pradyumna: He is confusing us with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

Prabhupada: Oh, he is a rascal. He is now in hospital. He is undergoing operation. God is going, undergoing operation. (laughter) (end)

Devotee (1): That's a symptom of the modern civilization, Srila Prabhupada.

Prabhupada: Operation. That is... Demons are to be cheated like that. Simply operation. Simply operation. Bas.

Devotee (2): Also they're trying to get money.

Prabhupada: Yes. Injection and operation. That is in their hands.

Tamala Krsna: Should we try to avoid getting injections as much as possible?

Prabhupada: That is my opinion. But as soon as you go to a medical man, especially in your country, first of all, you have to give blood, immediately. (laughter) One ounce of blood immediately. First business. And then other injection. Because I underwent so many medical examination, I have got experience. For my immigration. I think, three or four times I was under health examination, and blood-taking, and injection. Of course, it is not very painful. That arrangement is there. But the business is like that, "First of all give your blood; then talk of other things." Better to die without a doctor. (laughter) That's the best principle. Don't call any doctor. Simply chant Hare Krsna and die peacefully.

Prabhupada: Hm. But never put me in hospital. You can refuse that "This is our Guru Maharaja's order." Chant Hare Krsna. Bas. Let me die peacefully.

Governor: Medical men. Our government hospital. Best people in the government hospital. Best physicians. Very good physicians.

Prabhupada: Thank you very much. But I am not very inclined for medical treatment, their injection, operation. (laughs)

Governor: No, they won't give you injections. They also... There doctors give yogic treatment also, and nature cure treatment. But... See I have taken that Ravi Shankar Maharaj. You've heard the name in Gujarat, he was one of the very great saintly person, Ravi Shankar Maharaj from Gujarat. I have taken him there. He’s stays in my Raj Bhavan, and best doctors attending him, he is improving the health. And we have very good Raj Bhavan, big Raj Bhavan.

Prabhupada: After all, the thing is that so long we have got this body, the janma-mrtyu-jara-vidhi, you have to accept. This is the statement in the Bhagavad-gita. So the human endeavor should be diverted how to stop this repetition of birth and death. That is the prime instruction in the Bhagavad-gita. Tyaktva deha punar janma naiti mam eti.

Prabhupada: I am not thirsty now. But cararimrta, little can be given also in the..., no harm. But don't take me, hospital.

Kirtanananda: Ultimately, whatever he says we have to do if we're going to accept him. But he's also very understanding, and I think in your condition there may be no need for hospitalization. We need to get some regular care established. There was to be a regimen for recovery.

Prabhupada: No, that I have already explained. I don't want to go to hospital.

Prabhupada: Then he'll say, "Remove to the hospital."

Bhavananda: Then they'll say move to the hospital.

Prabhupada: Then who will take care of me? Hm?

Bhavananda: We will never allow them to remove you to a hospital, Srila Prabhupada.

Prabhupada: You'll have to, gradually, according to his advice.

Bhavananda: Therefore we asked you yesterday for your guidance.

Prabhupada: No, I'll guide. Don't move me to the hospital. ...

Prabhupada: That's all? I am afraid you may not put me in the hospital.

Tamala Krsna: Oh, Prabhupada, we're not going to do that. We already said that we would never do that.

"O spiritual master of all the worlds! I can simply repeat Your message, so if You like You can make my power of speaking suitable for their understanding.

Only by Your causeless mercy will my words become pure. I am sure that when this transcendental message penetrates their hearts they will certainly feel engladdened and thus become liberated from all unhappy conditions of life.

O Lord, I am just like a puppet in Your hands. So if You have brought me here to dance, then make me dance, make me dance. O Lord, make me dance as You like.

I have no devotion, nor do I have any knowledge, but I have strong faith in the holy name of Krsna. I have been designated as Bhaktivedanta, and now, if You like, You can fulfill the real purport of Bhaktivedanta."