IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Unique Relationships in Mahabharat

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have often admired many relationships in Mahabharat. This epic has taught and will continue to teach uncountable lessons that we can use in our lives. But what is also important to note is the relationships that make the Mahabharat what it is.

One of my favorite relationships is the relationship between Bhishma Peta and Vidur. Bhishma Peta, due to his prutegya(promise)remained childless for his entire life. Vidur lived his life without a father. When things got to unbearable, these two men confinded in each other- shared their inner most thoughts and wishes with each other. They in essence became father and son- something they both probably yearned for their entire lives.

There are so many relationships that can be discussed, so, what is your favorite relationship?

Guest guest

I feel the same way about the Mahabharata. I think it is the most politically relevent story we have.

Not my favorite relationship, by I have empathy for Karna, the king without a crown.

What Duroydhana did for him at the tournament and the friendship that developed is interesting. Also, that of Karna and Kunti is a tear-jerker.

Funny, how many of the characters would express how tired they are of living due to their misfortunes.

I love the Mahabharat and along with the Ramayan, I frequently find solutions to my daily problems or dilemmas. It teaches us about how to behave in different relationships and how certain members are dearly respected such as mothers, fathers and women in general which is lacking in today's society. I find the story absolutely fascinating and even though I've watched the B.R Chopra version like 10 times I still manage to find out something new every time I watch it.

On the subject of relationships, I particularly liked the relationship between Kunti and her sons. I find Kunti very admirable and the devotion the Pandavas had for their mother was quite exceptional.

Does anyone have any favourite characters? Mine's is Bhishma, the man who lived a self-less life and made huge sacrifices for the happiness of his father.

Guest guest

the friendship between Duroydhana and Karna can be admired. Both of these men made sacrifices for one another time and time again. I know Duroydhana has many short comings, but, it can be said that Duroydhana truely knew what it meant to be a good friend.

Guest guest

Also, Duryodhana obviously recognized Radheya's greatness through they eyes of his illicit desire.

Still, I think he truly loved and admired the man in his own right.

Guest guest

Ironic how Radheya or Karna was the personification of the Pavdavas themselves... all their qualities could be found in him.

This noble man whom Duryodhana would do anything for was the true owner of the crown Duryodhana so coveted.

Radheya's life was pennance for his mother.

Guest guest

I dont know how many of you know this fact. Duryodhana was suppose to be a good ruler although he was jealous of Pandavas which was due to His ignorance. Although each and every character is very carefully knitted and intertwined to each other, each has its own significance in the greater part of story at some stage. Thats the beauty of Mahabaratha.

My most and alltime favourite character is Krishna leaving behind the fact He is God. Just think of Him as a human character by itself is wonderful. In His human character, He exemplified at everystage how He can be called and How soon He will come and everything depends on How we view Him. Duryodhana could not beleive many times that He was God and so he never got the blessings. Not everyone in Mahabaratha story realised that Krishna was Narayana. Thats the beauty that made Mahabaratha very interesting to the extent of going for war. Imagine would any of the present day human beings go and fight with God if they realise that God can never be won.

Krishna's friendship is something I admire the most. I dream always to have such a wonderful friend with you can be yourself and who would respond to our love from heart and soul. Every other character including Karna, Dharmaputra had their own blemishes, but not Krishna even as a character leaving behind the fact that He is God.

He thrills me just as a human and hence He is my alltime favourite.

MS

Guest guest

The hero of Mahabaratha story is actually Krishna although He comes quite later only. Without His character there is no Mahabaratha story at all. He is my all time Hero.

MS

Guest guest

I agree with your points. But it's all play for Krishna. (Of coarse, that doesn't say HIs qualities aren't wonderful.) For everyone else, it's so real.

I especially like where Krsna chides Duryodhana in the assembly of Kuru elders. What a wonderful speaker. All the devas appeared so as not to miss it.

Now revealing His universal form did not do it.

Duryodhana had to be thinking he could beat God. Actually, this happened several times with people Krsna fought during His life.

I think modern man thinks they'll demonstrate their technology on Krsna if He dares to show His face round here.

Guest guest

Arjuna himself did not realise initially that Krishna was Narayana which he states while apologising to Krishna after he sees the Viswaroopa of Krishna. Yet he was quite lucky to have Godhead as a friend. Kuchela also did not realise the He is GOd for a long time until he was helped miraculosly. Leave behind the fact of God, what thrills me with Krishna is His love towards other soul who loves Him. For Arjuna as a friend, although Krishna was a king, he volunteered to be a charioteer to Arjuna (hence His name Paartha saarathy), for kuchela, when he went to see Krishna, after having food and due to the tiredness of travel all along, Kuchela went to sleep and Krishna massaged his friend's legs to relive the pain in Kuchela's legs due to tiredness. Can we imagine something like this. I am pretty sure even the best of best friends we have in present day world, if they become rulers, we have to wait for years or atleast weeks to get his appointment and howmuch ever we love our friend, he would still expect us to stand when not to sit in front of him especially if he is a ruler of a country. Thats the difference in Krishna's friendship. The actual meaning of this incident where He obliges Arjuna and massaging the foot of Kuchela is, when we Love God with total surrendering devotion to Him, He comes to us and do the needful to us, which is the mercy of Lord. When we take one step towards Divine, THe Divine takes ten steps towards us to help reach Him.

MS

Which character do I choose among the galaxy of stars? Among men, the obvious is eternal relationship between Arjuna and the Lord, Arjuna among the men. Among the women, I find Gandhari the most admirable woman, who was really good at heart and always had her emotions in check. Had Duryodhana listened to her advice, Kurukshetra war would never have happened. Draupadi, is again my favourite for her total devotion to the Lord. Unfortunately, not much is known about the decendents of Pandavas.

Guest guest

As I mentioned earlier, every character is unique in its way in Mahabaratha. All of them were sort of lucky still in a way to be in the physical presence of Lord Krishna whether they recognized Him as God or not. Can you imagine, just a few thousands years back those guys were walking, talking and eating with Lord. It just thrills me to think of it and I wish I were there. I am sure I would have been going around Him all the time like His Gopikas. Paanchali was very lucky in getting His blessings whenever she wanted, and she is an example of how a devotee should be towards Lord. She was always without any doubts that Krishna is Lord, and thats why she was helped all the time. I can keep talking if someone talks about Krishna and will never end.

M Shyam

Guest guest

I'm re-reading Subramanyam's Mahabharata every couple months. I like the battle part of it. And killing Abhimanyu and Arjuna's promiss.

Also most amazing tapes I ever listened is by Hridayananda Goswami narrations - I have about 12 or 15 tapes but cannot find if he finished the narration or translation of Mahabharata... Anybody knows if he completed Mahabharata?

Guest guest

This is what fascinates me, Krishna gave His Divya Darshan to Arjuna on one side and on other side Abhimanyu was killed. I have not read in detail on these chapters. Can anyone give interpretations.

Guest guest

Yes I have read it, although not in detail. Can youtell in detail.

Mahabaratha is an all time story that would fit any time in any yuga and is always interesting.

Guest guest

"there was a very special bond between these two, much more than meets the eye."

Ok. What do you see as special? Like, were they sharing unrequited love or something?

Both very firm in there vows! (There's an impersonal aspect to that.)

Guest guest

i justrecently realized this relationship in the Mahabharat. Because Stanau married Satavati, they brought two children from their pervious relationships together. Bhisma peeta and Vedvyas are step brothers. In this age, we can use this relationship as an ideal model that will help step families get along and admire the differences that each person has. If only the elders can point this out to the children it can help children and parents get along much better and love each other instead of holding grudges and hostility with people that are suppose to be so close to each other.

Bhishma never regretted his decision to be celibate for the entire life. While he brought, the three daughters of Kashiraja, Amba, Ambika and Ambalika to be married to his stepbrother, Vichitravirya, the only king who offered the resistance was, Salva, who loved Ambika. Ambika too loved him. When Bhishma defeated Salva, the latter ran away. Later, when Ambika told Bhishma the fact, he magnanimously allowed her to go back to Salva. However, Salva was humiliated so he refused to marry Ambika and she had nowhere to go. It is then, Ambika cursed Bhishma. In the end, on the battlefield, it was Ambika, reincarnated as Shikhandi (an eunuch) fought with Bhishma and the latter gave up as he would not fight with an eunuch. He would never regret his decision to be celibate certainly not for Ambika.

Have you read the full version of Mahabharata?

"Salva was humiliated so he refused to marry Ambika and she had nowhere to go. It is then, Ambika cursed Bhishma. In the end, on the battlefield, it was Ambika, reincarnated as Shikhandi (an eunuch) fought with Bhishma and the latter gave up as he would not fight with an eunuch"

There are several errors in your summary, not even including the name. After rejection by Salva, Amba returned to Bhishma offering herself as his wife and pleading for acceptance. Read that passage that has Bishma's reply to her plea. Rejected again (and what follows is a nice story too, which I'm not going to reveal) Amba eventually gets Bhishma's guru to plead her case. The curse is at the very end of her life in that body. In her next body she is born female again, with full memory of her past life and same sentiments. She is known as Sikhandin and eventually gets a male body from a Yaksha (not a eunuch body!) and in this body she fights at Kurukshetra. Throughout her life as Sikhandin Bhishma secretly observes her through his spies. Why? Is he afraid? That is prepostrous. Read the details of his final battle, and how he refused to fight Sikhandin not because it was "dishonorable" (ANY attacker bearing lethal weapons can be killed without dishonor in Aryan culture) but precisely to honor her vow... as I said, the story is deep and complex, you could write a best selling book based on it! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guest guest

Bhisma considered Sikhandin a woman, that's one reason he would not fight with her. Also, the Pandavas had come to Bhisma the night before asking to kill him. Imagine! Bhisma had decided to end his life that day for other reasons also.

So I still don't see this special relationship between Bhisma and Sikhandin suggested earlier. Seems to me they ruined each other's lives.

The Mahabharata is usually the book I pick up for quick readiing between other things.

What a sense of duty back then. Many, many, men embraced death as their duty.

What a contrast to the big bellies we have today.

Guest guest

So Karna is a shinning example. He was offered the world… not down the road… right now! 'You can be king of this world and the hated Pandavas will fall at your feet and worship you.'

So we know Radheya choose duty and death. I think he took the high road.

So that death and duty is definately there in devotional service too.

I wonder how many devotees we've lost fighting maya lately.