IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Haridham

How has India Progressed

Rate this topic

Hare KRsna everyone

Hope all is well.

I just have a question. Can anyone tell me how India has progressed in last few decades. From economicaly to spiritualy.

I just need help doing a project for school

Thank you.

Dear Prabhu,

According to my database, since 1953 (except between 1978 to 1981) the Indian Gross Domestic Product at constant Price showed significant growth. Among the sectors that contribute the growth are the Manufacturing, Construction, Transport and communication, financing and real estate. Slow growth can be seen on the Agriculture, mining and quarrying.

Also, Tourism has helped India augment its domestic income. The economic growth has been influenced by the increasing literacy rate, job opportunities and the higher remittances of overseas workers. India is becoming the most active country to import labour force, especially in the IT industry.

On the other hand, the robust population growth has been tampering the economy to reach its peak. Worth mentioning the unstable politics, corruption (according to Transparency International Survey, India is in the 30th corrupt country out of 102 list...but much better to Bangladesh though which is the first!) and the lack of Political will from its leaders caused India to suffer through these years.

The gap between the rich and the poor is also increasing. The cause of this is the poor zoning. Rural areas has been left out, while the government administrators concentrate in the nourishment of the economic zone in cities and urban areas.

Hope this helps!

God Bless India! God Bless us All! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Myra.

Guest guest

India's Information Technology sector is growing rapidly and many believe this will assist it in jumping past the industrialization phase of economic development and all the problems that come with that.

Export? Does anyone know? How about you Myraji. You know a lot about India. What is their major export and is it raw material?

Do you know If India Relies on Foreign Aid and from how many countries, why and how much?

What is the Major product produced by the Indian Economy?

Guest guest

One little suggestion Haridham my devotee friend, Internet is a great source, use it to your advantage. Go to this website www.google.com or www.askjeeves.com

Google is the better of the two, I like google alot and gives you alot of information. Please search there, I am sure you will find your answer.

Happy searching

Hare krishna.

-TU-

Haridramaji,

I will get back to you regarding this. I am the one who maintain the Indian Economic Database so I will give you enormous data for you heart content /images/graemlins/smile.gif. It's my pleasure to help you.

Be right back...

Myra

You are a world of help. I have this assignment due on monday and because of my nonsense at home and stress of worrying about my wife I coudnt get to it.

Now that things have gotten better I can finish this no problem but your help will surely give me a boost

Hare Krsna

INDIA’S EXPORTS

Exports refer to all commodities (goods and services) leaving the country to be sold to a foreign country that are properly cleared through the Department of Commerce, India.

India’s Exports have quadrupled over past 20 years. In FY 2002 alone, Indian exports reached US$ 51.7 billion, an 18 percent increase over 2001. The recent release of exports data for September 2003 are valued at US $ 4982.20 million which is 15.93% higher than the level of US $ 4297.54 million during September, 2002. In rupee terms, the exports in September 2003 were Rs. 22841.93 crores, which is 9.73% higher than the value of exports during September 2002.

The increase in the export was triggered by the passenger vehicle exports that nearly trebled over the last four years to 71,653 units in 2002-03, while motorcycle exports increased by 122 percent in 2002-03 alone to 126,122 units. In addition, exports of automotive components were estimated at Rs 4,000 crore in 2002-03, compared to Rs 2,775 crore in 2001-02. Fuelled by demand from the U.S. and China, the auto components industry is expected to record strong growth over the next few years.

Below are the lists of the Major Commodity Exports of India:

1. Gems & Jewellery

2. Engineering goods

3. Readymade garments

4. Chemicals & related products

5. Cotton yarn fabrics madeups etc.

6. Leather & leather manufactures

7. Marine products

8. Ores & minerals

9. Manmade yarn fabrics madeups

10. Rubber, glass products

11. Rice

12. Carpets

13. Oil meals

14. Iron ore

15. Cashewnut incl. Shell liquid

16. Tea

FOREIGN AID (loans, technical assistance, grants, and equity investments)

India's major sources of aid are the ADB, the World Bank, Germany, Japan, Netherlands, United Kingdom, and United States, as well as the European Union. ADB, the World Bank, and the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) provide the bulk of India's official loans.

ADB (Asian Development bank

Seven loans for six projects—five public sector and one private sector, totaling $1,183.6 million—were approved in 2002. The projects aim at developing the East-West Corridor, developing roads in Madhya Pradesh, reforming the state power sector, improving railways, and modernizing government and fiscal reform in Kerala. The private sector loan of $20 million equivalent in local currency was made to a medical services network, which is expected to create an integrated private sector system in India. Twenty-six technical assistance totaling $13.2 million and three grants totaling $55.3 million were approved. ADB also approved two equity investments totaling $25 million in an infrastructure fund to help finance private sector infrastructure projects and a mortgage guarantee company in India.

Since joining ADB in 1966, India has received 76 loans totaling $11,636.9 million, of which 34 were active at the end of 2002. Contract awards totaled $862.4 million, bringing the cumulative figure to $6,808.6 million. The contract awards ratio for 2002 was 22.4%—close to the ADB-wide average of 22.6%. Disbursements during the year totaled $576.5 million, bringing cumulative disbursements to $6,386.6 million. The disbursement ratio was 17.9%—lower than the ADB-wide average of 22.2%.

The World Bank

The World Bank, which lends from both International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and International Development Agency (IDA) resources, provides support mainly to agriculture, social sectors (family welfare, health, nutrition and primary education), and infrastructure (power, and transport) and financial sectors. World Bank has also provided support for forestry and water supply projects, including in Madhya Pradesh and Kerala. In response to a decision by the World Bank's management to increase IBRD lending to India to about $3 billion per year and to harden the terms of its overall assistance by achieving an IBRD:IDA ratio of 2:1 (from 1:1 earlier), the World Bank is substantially increasing its lending to the power and road sectors and also envisages possible support for urban development as well as for the railway sector. While there is complementarity between ADB and World Bank in several key sectors (especially power and transport), ADB has taken the lead in holistic state level support. To increase the developmental impact of its assistance, the World Bank has also begun channeling a portion of its lending operations to more focused state-level operations and, in April 2000, approved its first loan for subnational adjustment program 11. In discussion with the Government, ADB and the World Bank are coordinating on an appropriate geographical focus for each institution's state-level operations. ADB has commenced state-level operations in both Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh, and has received Government concurrence for initiating work on Kerala as the third focal state. The World Bank has so far concentrated its subnational operations on the power sector in Haryana, Orissa, and Rajasthan, and on more comprehensive support including public finance reform in Andhra Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. In other sectors too, activities are coordinated to ensure an appropriate division of labor and geographic spread. As a result of such efforts, in recent years ADB has taken the lead in capital market development, policy reform in the hydrocarbon sector, support for investment in gas infrastructure, and in state-level reforms of resource management. Over the current programming cycle, ADB is expected to play a lead role in policy development for railways, urban development, housing finance, as well as debt market development. Regular consultations between ADB and the World Bank at the headquarters level have also been institutionalized.

Japan

JBIC, successor to the merged Japan's Overseas Economic Cooperation Fund (OECF) and Export-Import Bank of Japan (JEXIM), has focused its support in the past mainly on economic infrastructure (power, transport and communications, urban sector), as well as the environment, agriculture, and small-scale industries. It also has been an important source of official cofinancing for ADB projects. Following the merger, and in the context of the current international environment, the focus of Japan's development assistance to India is shifting. In future, JBIC's focus will be directed more towards basic human need projects and selected, high visibility infrastructure projects. This could also limit the future scope for JBIC cofinancing from the official financing window, at least of hard infrastructure projects. In contrast, ADB may evolve modalities for possible cofinancing opportunities for social sector interventions, or for facilitation of donor financing of investment on basis of ADB technical assistance. ADB may also play a more pronounced role in administering JBIC loans which are co-financing ADB interventions, as is being done in the ongoing Private Sector Infrastructure Facility project.

United Kingdom

The United Kingdom, through its Department for International Development (DFID), has a large aid program to India, focusing on poverty reduction inter alia through support for social sector initiatives. The program also seeks to support sustainable economic growth through support for economic reforms, particularly in fiscal policy and the power sector. DFID is concentrating its assistance to selected states, including Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, and West Bengal, and is collaborating and coordinating activities with ADB in the areas of mutual interest such as support for power sector reforms, urban water supply and sanitation and slum improvement. ADB's efforts to strengthen the poverty focus of its portfolio and the supporting TA program provide further cooperation opportunities. The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has focused its program inter alia on population stabilization; provision of health care, including HIV/AIDS control; environmental protection and pollution control, particularly in urban areas; and support for energy conservation and demand side management. USAID also provides extensive food aid. The Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) has been active in support for state power sector reforms. In its preparatory work for power sector reforms in Kerala, the ADB is already drawing upon work being prepared by CIDA-financed consultants. The ADB and CIDA are also closely collaborating on power sector reforms in Madhya Pradesh. The priorities of Germany's assistance are the infrastructure (power) and social sectors, including water supply, urban waste management, housing, and health. The Netherlands is providing assistance mainly for social sector interventions, as well as in support of local governance and effective decentralization. One of its focal states is Kerala. The European Union (EU) provides assistance under two broad categories: development assistance and economic cooperation. The former is directed towards improving the quality of life of the poorest and is providing grants for rural development, as well as primary education and health. EU's economic cooperation program mainly comprises technical assistance and training support.

External assistance to India substantially increased from the low levels in the early 1980s, and averaged about $4 billion annually during FY1991-FY1998 or almost $5 in per capita terms. The terms of the ODA to India have considerably hardened over time, with the grant element declining from 19 percent during 1975-1980 to 8 percent during 1990-1995; the grant element is further declining with the World Bank modifying its overall funding mix of IBRD and concessional (IDA) resources from an IBRD:IDA ratio of 2:1 to a ratio of 1:1, although the ratio of actual commitment may vary slightly from year to year. This will imply an increase in the cost of long-term funds as the portion of concessional lending in total lending is diminishing over time. Following India's nuclear test in May 1998, and the subsequent imposition of economic sanctions, most bilateral donors put a freeze on new aid to India and in addition indicated their unwillingness to support new lending from multilateral agencies for other than humanitarian purposes. As a result, Board consideration for several World Bank loans was postponed in May/June 1998, the end of its fiscal year. Similarly, ADB lending to India was substantially affected and only one basic human needs loan approved by the Board in late 1998. Together with the freeze on bilateral assistance, the drastic decline in multilateral lending to India lowered foreign aid to $1.8 billion in FY1999 compared to $3.7 billion in FY1998 and about $4 billion on average since the early 1990s. As the international environment and the G-7 stance on lending continued in FY2000, foreign aid to India remained severely constrained, and new ADB and World Bank commitments amounted to $625 million and about $800 million, respectively. Moreover, the non-approval of infrastructure projects by multilateral institutions and the freeze on bilateral lending is increasingly hampering the medium to long term growth potential of the Indian economy by preventing removal of infrastructure bottlenecks.

FY - Fiscal Year

EU - European Union

ADB - Asian Deveopment BAnk

IMF - International Monetary Fund

JBIC - Japan Bank for International Cooperation

IBRD - International Bank for Reconstruction and Development

IDA - International Development Agency

OECF - Overseas Economic Cooperation Fund

JEXIM - Export-Import Bank of Japan

USAID - United States Agency for International Development

CIDA - Canadian International Development Agency

Should you have further questions, please let me know.

Good luck to your project.

Regards,

Myra

Thank you myraji. It seems you are hard at work for me. I didnt mean to make you work this hard. wow and until now I thought you were preety lazy. lol.

Thanks non the less. This will sure help, I just have to put all of this into my own words or it will be purgery. Where did you get all of this information as my teacher will probably want some proof.

Thank you very much again.

Hare Krsna

Hey this is part of my job, to collect these data from the original source. Not that hard work...just collecting all my previous reports and re-construct it for you. I have soooooooooooo much here but I am sure they are very technical. And be thankful, that you are a devotee or else, I would leave these things in my database till I forgot and delete them later on...:) LOL!!

We provided these information to our clients...But I think it's a good idea if you could paraphrase it, not just for the prjury thing but for you to understand your own report later on....

well thanks a lot myraji. I am glad I have great help in this forum. I have noticed I have either gotten really nice responses or really bad replies which make me wonder at why sometimes people cant understand what you are trying to write.

anyways, thanks again

Hare Krsna

Thank you very much. I do have a dilema though, my teacher wants website addresses and such of the things you posted up. He wants me to mention the website where I can get this information. THank you very much for the help. Now I must turn this into 8 pages. I have to paraphrase everything too.

Thank you myraji.

Guest guest

Well, isn't it true that India was blackmailed to open her economy up by the world bank… or European (American) capitalists?

I expect her economy to be similar to America's... semi-affluent and prosperous for a few years and then encroachment by the upper class in a grab for everything.

Sound right?