IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mahak

i know its mundane, but i sure like his music

Rate this topic

Haribol, Im in MAYA today, so ill write about a singer I think is and was one of the best, Gene Pitney. All his songs are so dramatic, like "It Hurts to be in Love", "Half Heaven, Half Heartache", but last night, I heard one of his best, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". This song is on a par with Bob Dylans movie soundtrack for Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid or some of his cuts from Blood on the Tracks (i.e. Lily, Rosmarie and the Jack of Hearts).

I guess I just like ballads, storytellin via singin.

It may not be kirtana, but its a world event, gene pitney is not given proper recognition in todays world, and I vehemently protest this disregard.

haribol, ys, mahak

Well, aint this a town without pity. Maybe I should start another thread about stories put to music. Maybe I will.

Ill start about a movie never made that should be made based on Dylan's Lily, rosemarie and the jack of hearts. Or percy's song, the horrors of joliet prison. Or the lonesome death of hattie caroll and the coward named william zinzinger.

Ballads, the best form of music. can any one tell of a fave ballad, even though I stl must praise gene pitney here, mainly because I met him at the LA temple in 1970. No one was speaking to him, he was being very quiet, and only a hippie (myself) took the time to ask him his name.

Did you know that when he did town without pity, he was only fifteen years old. later and haribol, ys, mahaksadasa

i am not familiar with gene pitney. but since you mentioned music, i would like to give my opinion on music today.

i hate it so much. i hate the britney spears, justin timberlake, r&b, and rap .. no offense. i am so sorry, but all the music and their videos are just gross. all of these music stars flaunting their money. it really shows how dependent these people are on material things.

besides that, the music today lacks character and power. i like rock music. i remember in the early 90s the music that was played on the radio is just so personal. i loved nirvana, smashing pumpkins, rem, sonic youth, stabbing westward. i miss all of those bands. to be absolutely honest, i dont even listen to the radio anymore. i just dont like what is out there. im just waitin for a music revolution. yup that is it!

sorry mahak, i know that you were more interested in hearing about gene pitney. because you gave a good rating on it, next time im at the music store, i ll pick it up.

I agree that todays music reflects the times. There is no fairport convention, no clash (try the album "sandinstha" by the clash, if ya want r&r, this is the best, in my opinion). There seems to be no ballads describing the plight of the beings, yet the plight is even so much greater.

Music is an industry, and reflects the corporate control, just like other media, so we get brittany because we dont want to handleeve of destructoin" or "masters of war" like in the sixties. But, its still out ther.

haribol, ys, mahak, thanks for commenting here.