IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Where is the Most Rasika Place in this world.?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Vrindavan ? Puri ? Navadvipa ? Kuruksetra ?

Where can one go to relish the sweetest transcendental mellows of the superexcellent love exchanged between the divine couple of Sri Sri Radha and Sri Sri Krishna ?

You can't buy a plane ticket to rasa. You can't take a bus or a train to rasa. The most rasika place in the world is the tongue that chants the Holy Name with love and devotion in a spirit of sacrifice.

Millions of dollars - great fortunes have been spent in this effort to buy a plane ticket to rasa by flying off to India, but it cannot be done.

It all happens on the tongue. If you can't make it happen there, you aren't going to make it happen by buying a plane ticket to India. If you had realized this already you wouldn't even be asking this question.

Chanting is sweet nectar. If you don't have a real experience of that then you must be doing something seriously wrong.

From Nectar of Instruction Text Nine:<blockquote><center><font color="red">vaikuNThAj janito varA madhu-purI tatrApi rAsotsavAd

vRndAraNyam udAra-pANi-ramaNAt tatrApi govardhanaH

rAdhA-kuNDam ihApi gokula-pateH premAmRtAplAvanAt

kuryAd asya virAjato giri-taTe sevAM vivekI na kaH

</center>

vaikuNThAt--than VaikuNTha, the spiritual world; janitaH--because of birth; varA--better; madhu-purI--the transcendental city known as MathurA; tatra api--superior to that; rAsa-utsavAt--because of the performance of the rAsa-lIlA; vRndA-araNyam--the forest of VRndAvana; udAra-pANi--of Lord KRSNa; ramaNAt--because of various kinds of loving pastimes; tatra api--superior to that; govardhanaH--Govardhana Hill; rAdhA-kuNDam--a place called RAdhA-kuNDa; iha api--superior to this; gokula-pateH--of KRSNa, the master of Gokula; prema-amRta--with the nectar of divine love; AplAvanAt--because of being overflooded; kuryAt--would do; asya--of this (RAdhA-kuNDa); virAjataH--situated; giri-taTe--at the foot of Govardhana Hill; sevAm--service; vivekI--who is intelligent; na--not; kaH--who.

</font>

The holy place known as MathurA is spiritually superior to VaikuNTha, the transcendental world, because the Lord appeared there. Superior to MathurA-PurI is the transcendental forest of VRndAvana because of KRSNa's rAsa-lIlA pastimes. And superior to the forest of VRndAvana is Govardhana Hill, for it was raised by the divine hand of SrI KRSNa and was the site of His various loving pastimes. And, <font color="blue">above all, the superexcellent SrI RAdhA-kuNDa stands supreme, for it is overflooded with the ambrosial nectarean prema of the Lord of Gokula, SrI KRSNa.</font> Where, then, is that intelligent Person who is unwilling to serve this divine RAdhA-kuNDa, which is situated at the foot of Govardhana Hill?

PURPORT

The spiritual world is three fourths of the total creation of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and it is the most exalted region. The spiritual world is naturally superior to the material world; however, MathurA and the adjoining areas, although appearing in the material world, are considered superior to the spiritual world because the Supreme Personality of Godhead Himself appeared at MathurA. The interior forests of VRndAvana are considered superior to MathurA because of the presence of the twelve forests (dvAdaza-vana), such as TAlavana, Madhuvana and BahulAvana, which are famous for the various pastimes of the Lord. Thus the interior VRndAvana forest is considered superior to MathurA, but superior to these forests is the divine Govardhana Hill because KRSNa lifted Govardhana Hill like an umbrella, raising it with His lotuslike beautiful hand to protect His associates, the denizens of Vraja, from the torrential rains sent by the angry Indra, King of the demigods. It is also at Govardhana Hill that KRSNa tends the cows with His cowherd friends, and there also He had His rendezvous with His most beloved SrI RAdhA and engaged in loving pastimes with Her. RAdhA-kuNDa, at the foot of Govardhana, is superior to all because it is there that love of KRSNa overflows. Advanced devotees prefer to reside at RAdhA-kuNDa because this place is the site of many memories of the eternal loving affairs between KRSNa and RAdhArANI (rati-vilAsa).

In Caitanya-caritAmRta (Madhya-lIlA) it is stated that when SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu first visited the area of VrajabhUmi, He could not at first find the location of RAdhA-kuNDa. This means that SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu was actually searching for the exact location of RAdhA-kuNDa. Finally He found the holy spot, and there was a small pond there. He took His bath in that small pond and told His devotees that the actual RAdhA-kuNDa was situated there. Later the pond was excavated by Lord Caitanya's devotees, headed first by the six GosvAmIs, such as RUpa and RaghunAtha dAsa. Presently there is a large lake known as RAdhA-kuNDa there. SrIla RUpa GosvAmI has given much stress to RAdhA-kuNDa because of SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu's desire to find it. Who, then, would give up RAdhA-kuNDa and try to reside elsewhere? No person with transcendental intelligence would do so. The importance of RAdhA-kuNDa, however, cannot be realized by other VaiSNava sampradAyas, nor can persons uninterested in the devotional service of Lord Caitanya MahAprabhu understand the spiritual importance and divine nature of RAdhA-kuNDa. Thus RAdhA-kuNDa is mainly worshiped by the GauDIya VaiSNavas, the followers of Lord SrI KRSNa Caitanya MahAprabhu.

</blockquote>

Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.36.16:<blockquote><center><font color=red>ariSTe nihate daitye

kRSNenAdbhuta-karmaNA

kaMsAyAthAha bhagavAn

nArado deva-darzanaH

</center>

ariSTe--AriSTa; nihate--having been killed; daitye--the demon; kRSNena--by KRSNa; adbhuta-karmaNA--whose activities are wonderful; kaMsAya--to KaMsa; atha--then; Aha--spoke; bhagavAn--the powerful sage; nAradaH--NArada; deva-darzanaH--whose vision is godly.

</font>

After AriSTAsura had been killed by KRSNa, who acts wonderfully, NArada Muni went to speak to King KaMsa. That powerful sage of godly vision addressed the King as follows.

PURPORT

The term deva-darzana can be understood in many ways, all of which are consistent with the context and purport of this narration. Deva means "God," and darzanaH means "seeing" or "an audience with a great personality." Thus deva-darzana, a name for NArada Muni, indicates that NArada has attained the perfection of seeing God, that getting NArada's audience is as good as getting God's (since NArada is a pure representative of the Lord), and also that NArada's audience is as good as that of the demigods, who are also known as devas. That there are all these meanings of the term deva-darzanaH reveals something of the richness of the SrImad-BhAgavatam's language.

From the PurANas, SrIla VizvanAtha CakravartI ThAkura has quoted twenty verses describing a joking conversation between RAdhA and KRSNa that took place after KRSNa had killed the demon AriSTa. This conversation, so kindly quoted by the AcArya, describes the origin of RAdhA-kuNDa and SyAma-kuNDa, RAdhA's and KRSNa's bathing ponds. The verses are as follows:

<center><font color=red>

mAsmAn spRzAdya vRSabhArdana hanta mugdhA

ghoro 'suro 'yam ayi kRSNa tad apy ayaM gauH

vRtro yathA dvija ihAsty ayi niSkRtiH kiM

zudhyed bhavAMs tri-bhuvana-sthita-tIrtha-kRcchrAt

</font></center>

"The innocent young gopIs said, ‘Ah, KRSNa, don't touch us now, O killer of a bull! Alas, even though AriSTa was a terrible demon, still he was a male cow, so You will have to undergo atonement, just as Lord Indra did after killing VRtrAsura. But how can You purify Yourself without going to the trouble of visiting every single holy place in the three worlds?' "

<center><font color=red>

kiM paryaTAmi bhuvanAny adhunaiva sarvA

AnIya tIrtha-vitatIH karavANi tAsu

snAnaM vilokayata tAvad idaM mukundaH

procyaiva tatra kRtavAn bata pArSNi-ghAtam

</font></center>

"[KRSNa replied,] ‘Why should I have to wander throughout the entire universe? I will at once bring all the countless pilgrimage places here and take My bath in them. Just watch!' With this, Lord Mukunda struck His heel on the ground."

<center><font color=red>

pAtAlato jalam idaM kila bhogavatyA

AyAtam atra nikhilA api tIrtha-saGghAH

Agacchateti bhagavad-vacasA ta etya

tatraiva rejur atha kRSNa uvAca gopIH

</font></center>

"[Then He said,] ‘This is the water of the BhogavatI River, coming from the PAtAla region. And now, O holy places, all of you please come here!' When the Supreme Lord had spoken these words, all the holy places went there and appeared before Him. KRSNa then addressed the gopIs as follows."

<center><font color=red>

tIrthAni pazyata harer vacasA tavaivaM

naiva pratIma iti tA atha tIrtha-varyAH

procuH kRtAJjali-puTA lavaNAbdhir asmi

kSIrAbdhir asmi zRNutAmara-dIrghikAsmi

</font></center>

" ‘See all the holy places!'

"But the gopIs replied, ‘We don't see them as You describe.'

"Then those best of holy places, joining their palms in supplication, spoke up:

" ‘I am the salt ocean.'

" ‘I am the ocean of milk.'

" ‘I am the Amara-dIrghikA.' "

<center><font color=red>

zoNo 'pi sindhur aham asmi bhavAmi tAmra-

parNI ca puSkaram ahaM ca sarasvatI ca

godAvarI ravi-sutA sarayuH prayAgo

revAsmi pazyata jalaM kuruta pratItim

</font></center>

" ‘I am the river SoNa.'

" ‘I am the Sindhu.'

" ‘I am the TAmraparNI.'

" ‘I am the holy place PuSkara.'

" ‘I am the river SarasvatI.'

" ‘And we are the GodAvarI, YamunA and RevA rivers and the confluence of rivers at PrayAga. Just see our waters!' "

<center><font color=red>

snAtvA tato harir ati-prajagalbha eva

zuddhaH saro 'py akaravaM sthita-sarva-tIrtham

yuSmAbhir Atma-januSIha kRto na dharmaH

ko 'pi kSitAv atha sakhIr nijagAda rAdhA

</font></center>

"After purifying Himself by bathing, Lord Hari became quite arrogant and said, ‘I have produced a pond containing all the various holy places, whereas you gopIs must never have executed any religious duties on this earth for the pleasure of Lord BrahmA.' Then SrImatI RAdhArANI addressed Her girlfriends as follows."

<center><font color=red>

kAryaM mayApy ati-manohara-kuNDam ekaM

tasmAd yatadhvam iti tad-vacanena tAbhiH

zrI-kRSNa-kuNDa-taTa-pazcima-dizya-mando

gartaH kRto vRSabha-daitya-khurair vyaloki

</font></center>

" ‘I must create an even more beautiful pond. So go to work!' Having heard these words, the gopIs saw that AriSTAsura's hooves had dug a shallow ditch just west of SrI KRSNa's pond."

<center><font color=red>

tatrArdra-mRn-mRdula-gola-tatIH prati-sva-

hastoddhRtA anati-dUra-gatA vidhAya

divyaM saraH prakaTitaM ghaTikA-dvayena

tAbhir vilokya sarasaM smarate sma kRSNaH

</font></center>

"At that nearby spot, all the gopIs began digging up lumps of soft mud with their hands, and in this way a divine pond manifested in the short span of an hour. KRSNa was astonished to see the lake they produced."

<center><font color=red>

proce ca tIrtha-salilaiH paripUrayaitan

mat-kuNDataH sarasijAkSi sahAlibhis tvam

rAdhA tadA na na na neti jagAda yasmAt

tvat-kuNDa-nIram uru-go-vadha-pAtakAktam

</font></center>

"He said, ‘Go ahead, lotus-eyed one. You and Your companions should fill this pond with water from Mine.'

"But RAdhA replied, ‘No, no, no, no! This is impossible, since the water of Your pond is contaminated by Your terrible sin of killing a cow.' "

<center><font color=red>

AhRtya puNya-salilaM zata-koTi-kumbhaiH

sakhy-arbudena saha mAnasa-jAhnavItaH

etat saraH sva-madhunA paripUrayAmi

tenaiva kIrtim atulAM tanavAni loke

</font></center>

" ‘I will have My countless gopI companions bring the pure water of the MAnasa-gaGgA here in billions of pots. In this way I will fill this lake with My own water and thus make its renown unequaled in the entire world.' "

<center><font color=red>

kRSNeGgitena sahasaitya samasta-tIrtha-

sakhyas tadIya-saraso dhRta-divya-mUrtiH

tuSTAva tatra vRSabhAnu-sutAM praNamya

bhaktyA kRtAJjali-puTaH sravad-asra-dhAraH

</font></center>

"Lord KRSNa then gestured to a heavenly personality who was an intimate associate of all the holy places. Suddenly that person rose up out of KRSNa's pond and bowed down to the daughter of SrI VRSabhAnu [RAdhArANI]. Then, with palms joined and tears pouring from his eyes, he began praying to Her in devotion."

<center><font color=red>

devi tvadIya-mahimAnam avaiti sarva

zAstrArtha-vin na ca vidhir na haro na lakSmIH

kintv eka eva puruSArtha-ziromaNis tvat-

prasveda-mArjana-paraH svayam eva kRSNaH

</font></center>

" ‘O goddess, even Lord BrahmA himself, the knower of all scriptures, cannot understand Your glories, nor can Lord Siva or LakSmI. Only KRSNa, the supreme goal of all human endeavor, can understand them, and thus He feels obliged to personally make sure that You can wash away Your perspiration when You are fatigued.' "

<center><font color=red>

yaz cAru-yAvaka-rasena bhavat-padAbjam

Arajya nUpuram aho nidadhAti nityam

prApya tvadIya-nayanAbja-taTa-prasAdaM

svaM manyate parama-dhanyatamaM prahRSyan

tasyAjJayaiva sahasA vayam AjagAma

tat-pArSNi-ghATa-kRta-kuNDa-vare vasAmaH

tvaM cet prasIdasi karoSi kRpA-kaTAkSaM

tarhy eva tarSa-viTapI phalito bhaven naH

</font></center>

" ‘He is always anointing Your lotus feet with nectarean cAru and yAvaka and decorating them with ankle bells, and He rejoices and feels most fortunate simply by satisfying the tips of the toes of Your lotus feet. On His order we have immediately come here to live in this most excellent pond, which He created by one stroke of His heel. But only if You now feel satisfied with us and bestow upon us Your merciful glance will the tree of our desire bear fruit.' "

<center><font color=red>

zrutvA stutiM nikhila-tIrtha-gaNasya tuSTA

prAha sma tarSam ayi vedayateti rAdhA

yAma tvadIya-sarasIM sa-phalA bhavAma

ity eva no vara iti prakaTaM tadocuH

</font></center>

"Hearing this prayer spoken by the representative of the full assembly of holy places, SrI RAdhA was pleased and said, ‘So, kindly tell Me your desire.'

"They then told Her plainly, ‘Our lives would be successful if we could come to Your pond. That is the benediction we desire.' "

<center><font color=red>

Agacchateti vRSabhAnu-sutA smitAsyA

provAca kAnta-vadanAbja-dhRtAkSi-koNA

sakhyo 'pi tatra kRta-sammatayaH sukhAbdhau

magnA virejur akhilA sthira-jaGgamAz ca

</font></center>

"Glancing at Her beloved from the corners of Her eyes, the daughter of VRSabhAnu replied with a smile, ‘Please come.' Her gopI companions all agreed with Her decision and became immersed in the ocean of happiness. Indeed, the beauty of all creatures, both mobile and stationary, was enhanced."

<center><font color=red>

prApya prasAdam atha te vRSabhAnujAyAH

zrI-kRSNa-kuNDa-gata-tIrtha-varAH prasahya

bhittveva bhittim ati-vegata eva rAdhA-

kuNDaM vyadhuH sva-salilaiH paripUrNam eva

</font></center>

"Thus gaining the grace of SrImatI RAdhArANI, the holy rivers and lakes in SrI KRSNa-kuNDa forcibly broke through its boundary walls and swiftly filled RAdhA-kuNDa with their waters."

<center><font color=red>

proce hariH priyatame tava kuNDam etan

mat-kuNDato 'pi mahimAdhikam astu loke

atraiva me salila-kelir ihaiva nityaM

snAnaM yathA tvam asi tadvad idaM saro me

</font></center>

"Lord Hari then said, ‘My dear RAdhA, may this pond of Yours become even more world-renowned than Mine. I will always come here to bathe and to enjoy My water pastimes. Indeed, this lake is as dear to Me as You are.' "

<center><font color=red>

rAdhAbravId aham api sva-sakhIbhir etya

snAsyAmy ariSTa-zata-mardanam astu tasya

yo 'riSTa-mardana-sarasy uru-bhaktir atra

snAyAd vasen mama sa eva mahA-priyo 'stu

</font></center>

"RAdhA replied, ‘I will come to bathe in Your pond as well, even though You may kill hundreds of AriSTa demons here. In the future, anyone who has intense devotion for this lake, which is on the spot where You chastised AriSTAsura, and who bathes or resides here is sure to become very dear to Me.' "

<center><font color=red>

rAsotsavaM prakurute sma ca tatra rAtrau

kRSNAmbudaH kRta-mahA-rasa-harSa-varSaH

zrI-rAdhikA-pravara-vidyud alaGkRta-zrIs

trailokya-madhya-vitatI-kRta-divya-kIrtiH

</font></center>

"That night Lord KRSNa initiated a rAsa dance at RAdhA-kuNDa, generating a torrent of the greatest mood of splendorous pleasure. SrI KRSNa resembled a cloud, and SrImatI RAdhArANI a brilliant flash of lightning filling the sky with abundant beauty. In this way Their divine glories permeated the expanses of the three worlds."</blockquote>

Sri Caitanya-caritamrita Madhya 18.3-14:<blockquote><center><font color="red">ei-mata mahAprabhu nAcite nAcite

‘AriT'-grAme Asi' ‘bAhya' haila Acambite

</center>

ei-mata--in this way; mahAprabhu--SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu; nAcite nAcite--dancing and dancing; AriT-grAme--in the village known as AriT-grAma; Asi'--coming; bAhya--sense perception; haila--there was; Acambite--suddenly.

</font>

SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu danced in ecstasy, but when He arrived at AriT-grAma, His sense perception was awakened.

PURPORT

AriT-grAma is also called AriSTa-grAma. SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu understood that in that village AriSTAsura had been killed by SrI KRSNa. While there, He inquired about RAdhA-kuNDa, but no one could tell Him where it was. The brAhmaNa accompanying Him could also not ascertain its whereabouts. SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu could then understand that the holy places known as RAdhA-kuNDa and SyAma-kuNDa were at that time lost to everyone's vision. He therefore discovered RAdhA-kuNDa and SyAma-kuNDa, which were two reservoirs of water in two paddy fields. Although there was very little water, SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu was omniscient and could understand that formerly these two ponds were called SrI RAdhA-kuNDa and SyAma-kuNDa. In this way RAdhA-kuNDa and SyAma-kuNDa were discovered.

<center><font color="red">

AriTe rAdhA-kuNDa-vArtA puche loka-sthAne

keha nAhi kahe, saGgera brAhmaNa nA jAne

</center>

AriTe--in the village known as AriT-grAma; rAdhA-kuNDa-vArtA--news of RAdhA-kuNDa; puche--inquires; loka-sthAne--from the local people; keha--anyone; nAhi--not; kahe--could say; saGgera--the companion; brAhmaNa--brAhmaNa; nA jAne--does not know.

</font>

SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu asked the local people, "Where is RAdhA-kuNDa?" No one could inform Him, and the brAhmaNa accompanying Him did not know either.

tIrtha ‘lupta' jAni' prabhu sarvajJa bhagavAn

dui dhAnya-kSetre alpa-jale kailA snAna

</center>

tIrtha--holy place; lupta--lost; jAni'--knowing; prabhu--SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu; sarva-jJa--omniscient; bhagavAn--the Supreme Personality of Godhead; dui--two; dhAnya-kSetre--in paddy fields; alpa-jale--in not very deep water; kailA snAna--took a bath.

</font>

The Lord then understood that the holy place called RAdhA-kuNDa was no longer visible. However, being the omniscient Supreme Personality of Godhead, He discovered RAdhA-kuNDa and SyAma-kuNDa in two paddy fields. There was only a little water, but He took His bath there.

dekhi' saba grAmya-lokera vismaya haila mana

preme prabhu kare rAdhA-kuNDera stavana

</center>

dekhi'--seeing; saba grAmya-lokera--of all the people of the village; vismaya haila--became astonished; mana--the minds; preme--in ecstatic love; prabhu--SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu; kare--does; rAdhA-kuNDera--of RAdhA-kuNDa; stavana--prayers.

</font>

When the people of the village saw SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu taking His bath in those two ponds in the middle of the paddy fields, they were very much astonished. The Lord then offered His prayers to SrI RAdhA-kuNDa.

saba gopI haite rAdhA kRSNera preyasI

taiche rAdhA-kuNDa priya ‘priyAra sarasI'

</center>

saba--all; gopI--the gopIs; haite--from; rAdhA--RAdhArANI; kRSNera--of Lord KRSNa; preyasI--most beloved; taiche--similarly; rAdhA-kuNDa--RAdhA-kuNDa; priya--very dear; priyAra sarasI--the lake of the most beloved RAdhArANI.

</font>

"Of all the gopIs, RAdhArANI is the dearmost. Similarly, the lake known as RAdhA-kuNDa is very dear to the Lord because it is very dear to SrImatI RAdhArANI.

yathA rAdhA priyA viSNos

tasyAH kuNDaM priyaM tathA

sarva-gopISu saivaikA

viSNor atyanta-vallabhA

</center>

yathA--as; rAdhA--SrImatI RAdhArANI; priyA--beloved; viSNoH--of Lord KRSNa; tasyAH--Her; kuNDam--lake; priyam--very dear; tathA--similarly; sarva-gopISu--among all the gopIs; sA--She; eva--certainly; ekA--alone; viSNoH--of Lord KRSNa; atyanta--very; vallabhA--dear.

</font>

"‘Just as SrImatI RAdhArANI is most dear to Lord KRSNa, so Her lake, known as RAdhA-kuNDa, is also very dear to Him. Of all the gopIs, SrImatI RAdhArANI is certainly the most beloved.'

PURPORT

This is a verse from the Padma PurANa.

yei kuNDe nitya kRSNa rAdhikAra saGge

jale jala-keli kare, tIre rAsa-raGge

</center>

yei kuNDe--in which lake; nitya--daily; kRSNa--Lord KRSNa; rAdhikAra saGge--accompanied by SrImatI RAdhArANI; jale--in the water; jala-keli--sporting in the water; kare--performs; tIre--on the bank; rAsa-raGge--His rAsa dance.

</font>

"In that lake, Lord KRSNa and SrImatI RAdhArANI used to sport daily in the water and have a rAsa dance on the bank.

sei kuNDe yei eka-bAra kare snAna

tAGre rAdhA-sama ‘prema' kRSNa kare dAna

</center>

sei kuNDe--in that lake; yei--anyone who; eka-bAra--once; kare snAna--takes a bath; tAGre--unto him; rAdhA-sama--like SrImatI RAdhArANI; prema--ecstatic love; kRSNa--Lord KRSNa; kare dAna--gives as charity.

</font>

"Indeed, Lord KRSNa gives ecstatic love like that of SrImatI RAdhArANI to whoever bathes in that lake even once in his life.

kuNDera ‘mAdhurI'----yena rAdhAra ‘madhurimA'

kuNDera ‘mahimA'----yena rAdhAra ‘mahimA'

</center>

kuNDera--of the lake; mAdhurI--sweetness; yena--as if; rAdhAra--of SrImatI RAdhArANI; madhurimA--sweetness; kuNDera--of the lake; mahimA--glories; yena--as if; rAdhAra--of SrImatI RAdhArANI; mahimA--glories.

</font>

"The attraction of RAdhA-kuNDa is as sweet as that of SrImatI RAdhArANI. Similarly, the glories of the kuNDa [lake] are as great as SrImatI RAdhArANI's.

zrI-rAdheva hares tadIya-sarasI preSThAdbhutaiH svair guNair

yasyAM zrI-yuta-mAdhavendur anizaM prItyA tayA krIDati

premAsmin bata rAdhikeva labhate yasyAM sakRt snAna-kRt

tasyA vai mahimA tathA madhurimA kenAstu varNyaH kSitau

</center>

zrI-rAdhA--SrImatI RAdhArANI; iva--like; hareH--of KRSNa; tadIya--Her; sarasI--lake; preSThA--very dear; adbhutaiH--by wonderful; svaiH--own; guNaiH--transcendental qualities; yasyAm--in which; zrI-yuta--all-opulent; mAdhava--SrI KRSNa; induH--like the moon; anizam--incessantly; prItyA--with great affection; tayA--in association with SrImatI RAdhArANI; krIDati--performs pastimes; premA--love; asmin--for Lord KRSNa; bata--certainly; rAdhikA iva--exactly like SrImatI RAdhArANI; labhate--obtains; yasyAm--in which; sakRt--once; snAna-kRt--one who takes a bath; tasyAH--of the lake; vai--certainly; mahimA--glories; tathA--as well as; madhurimA--sweetness; kena--by whom; astu--can be; varNyaH--described; kSitau--on this earth.

</font>

"‘Because of its wonderful transcendental qualities, RAdhA-kuNDa is as dear to KRSNa as SrImatI RAdhArANI. It was in that lake that the all-opulent Lord SrI KRSNa performed His pastimes with SrImatI RAdhArANI with great pleasure and transcendental bliss. Whoever bathes just once in RAdhA-kuNDa attains SrImatI RAdhArANI's loving attraction for SrI KRSNa. Who within this world can describe the glories and sweetness of SrI RAdhA-kuNDa?'"

PURPORT

This verse is found in the Govinda-lIlAmRta (7.102).

ei-mata stuti kare premAviSTa haJA

tIre nRtya kare kuNDa-lIlA saGariyA

</center>

ei-mata--in this way; stuti kare--offers prayers; prema-AviSTa--overwhelmed by ecstatic love; haJA--becoming; tIre--on the bank; nRtya kare--dances; kuNDa-lIlA--pastimes of RAdhA-kuNDa; saGariyA--remembering.

</font>

SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu thus offered prayers to RAdhA-kuNDa. Overwhelmed by ecstatic love, He danced on the bank, remembering the pastimes Lord KRSNa performed on the bank of RAdhA-kuNDa.

kuNDera mRttikA laJA tilaka karila

bhaTTAcArya-dvArA mRttikA saGge kari' laila

</center>

kuNDera--of the lake; mRttikA--earth; laJA--taking; tilaka karila--formed tilaka; bhaTTAcArya-dvArA--with the help of Balabhadra BhaTTAcArya; mRttikA--earth; saGge--along; kari'--making; laila--took.

</font>

SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu then marked His body with tilaka made from the mud of RAdhA-kuNDa, and with the help of Balabhadra BhaTTAcArya, He collected some of the mud and took it with Him.</blockquote>

Again from Nectar of Instruction (text 10 and 11):<blockquote><center><font color="red">karmibhyaH parito hareH priyatayA vyaktiM yayur jJAninas

tebhyo jJAna-vimukta-bhakti-paramAH premaika-niSThAs tataH

tebhyas tAH pazu-pAla-paGkaja-dRzas tAbhyo 'pi sA rAdhikA

preSThA tadvad iyaM tadIya-sarasI tAM nAzrayet kaH kRtI

</center>

karmibhyaH--than all fruitive workers; paritaH--in all respects; hareH--by the Supreme Personality of Godhead; priyatayA--because of being favored; vyaktim yayuH--it is said in the zAstra; jJAninaH--those advanced in knowledge; tebhyaH--superior to them; jJAna-vimukta--liberated by knowledge; bhakti-paramAH--those engaged in devotional service; prema-eka-niSThAH--those who have attained pure love of God; tataH--superior to them; tebhyaH--better than them; tAH--they; pazu-pAla-paGkaja-dRzaH--the gopIs who are always dependent on KRSNa, the cowherd boy; tAbhyaH--above all of them; api--certainly; sA--She; rAdhikA--SrImatI RAdhikA; preSThA--very dear; tadvat--similarly; iyam--this; tadIya-sarasI--Her lake, SrI RAdhA-kuNDa; tAm--RAdhA-kuNDa; na--not; Azrayet--would take shelter of; kaH--who; kRtI--most fortunate.

</font>

In the zAstra it is said that of all types of fruitive workers, he who is advanced in knowledge of the higher values of life is favored by the Supreme Lord Hari. Out of many such people who are advanced in knowledge [jJAnIs], one who is practically liberated by virtue of his knowledge may take to devotional service. He is superior to the others. However, one who has actually attained prema, pure love of KRSNa, is superior to him. The gopIs are exalted above all the advanced devotees because they are always totally dependent upon SrI KRSNa, the transcendental cowherd boy. Among the gopIs, SrImatI RAdhArANI is the most dear to KRSNa. Her kuNDa [lake] is as profoundly dear to Lord KRSNa as this most beloved of the gopIs. Who, then, will not reside at RAdhA-kuNDa and, in a spiritual body surcharged with ecstatic devotional feelings [aprAkRtabhAva], render loving service to the divine couple SrI SrI RAdhA-Govinda, who perform Their aSTakAlIya-lIlA, Their eternal eightfold daily pastimes. <font color="blue">Indeed, those who execute devotional service on the banks of RAdhA-kuNDa are the most fortunate people in the universe.</font>

PURPORT

At the present moment almost everyone is engaged in some kind of fruitive activity. Those who are desirous of gaining material profits by working are called karmIs, or fruitive workers. All living entities within this material world have come under the spell of mAyA. This is described in the ViSNu PurANa (6.7.61):

viSNu-zaktiH parA proktA

kSetrajJAkhyA tathA parA

avidyA-karma-saMjJAnyA

tRtIyA zaktir iSyate

[Cc. Madhya 6.154]

</font></center>

Sages have divided the energies of the Supreme Personality of Godhead into three categories--namely, the spiritual energy, marginal energy and material energy. The material energy is considered to be the third-class energy (tRtIyA zaktiH). Those living beings within the jurisdiction of the material energy sometimes engage themselves like dogs and hogs in working very hard simply for sense gratification. However, in this life, or, after executing pious activities, in the next life, some karmIs become strongly attracted to performing various kinds of sacrifices mentioned in the Vedas. Thus on the strength of their pious merit, they are elevated to heavenly planets. Actually those who perform sacrifices strictly according to Vedic injunctions are elevated to the moon and planets above the moon. As mentioned in Bhagavad-gItA (9.21), kSINe puNye martya-lokaM vizanti: after exhausting the results of their so-called pious activities, they again return to the earth, which is called martya-loka, the place of death. Although such persons may be elevated to the heavenly planets by their pious activities and although they may enjoy life there for many thousands of years, they nonetheless must return to this planet when the results of their pious activities are exhausted.

This is the position of all karmIs, including those who act piously and those who act impiously. On this planet we find many businessmen, politicians and others who are simply interested in material happiness. They attempt to earn money by all means, not considering whether such means are pious or impious. Such people are called karmIs, or gross materialists. Among the karmIs are some vikarmIs, people who act without the guidance of Vedic knowledge. Those who act on the basis of Vedic knowledge perform sacrifices for the satisfaction of Lord ViSNu and to receive benedictions from Him. In this way they are elevated to higher planetary systems. Such karmIs are superior to the vikarmIs, for they are faithful to the directions of the Vedas and are certainly dear to KRSNa. In Bhagavad-gItA (4.11), KRSNa says: ye yathA mAM prapadyante tAMs tathaiva bhajAmy aham. "In whatever way one surrenders unto Me, I reward him accordingly." KRSNa is so kind that He fulfilled the desires of the karmIs and jJAnIs, not to speak of the bhaktas. Although the karmIs are sometimes elevated to higher planetary systems, as long as they remain attached to fruitive activities they must accept new material bodies after death. If one acts piously, he can attain a new body among the demigods in the higher planetary systems, or he may attain some other position in which he can enjoy a higher standard of material happiness. On the other hand, those who are engaged in impious activities are degraded and take birth as animals, trees and plants. Thus those fruitive actors who do not care for the Vedic directions (vikarmIs) are not appreciated by learned saintly persons. As stated in SrImad-BhAgavatam (5.5.4):

nUnaM pramattaH kurute vikarma

yad indriya-prItaya ApRNoti

na sAdhu manye yata Atmano 'yam

asann api klezada Asa dehaH

</font></center>

"Materialists who work hard like dogs and hogs simply for sense gratification are actually mad. They simply perform all kinds of abominable activities simply for sense gratification. Materialistic activities are not at all worthy of an intelligent man, for as a result of such activities, one gets a material body, which is full of misery." The purpose of human life is to get out of the threefold miserable conditions, which are concomitant with material existence. Unfortunately, fruitive workers are mad to earn money and acquire temporary material comforts by all means; therefore they risk being degraded to lower species of life. Materialists foolishly make many plans to become happy in this material world. They do not stop to consider that they will live only for a certain number of years, out of which they must spend the major portion acquiring money for sense gratification. Ultimately such activities end in death. Materialists do not consider that after giving up the body they may become embodied as lower animals, plants or trees. Thus all their activities simply defeat the purpose of life. Not only are they born ignorant, but they act on the platform of ignorance, thinking that they are getting material benefits in the shape of skyscraper buildings, big cars, honorable positions and so on. The materialists do not know that in the next life they will be degraded and that all their activities simply serve as parAbhava, their defeat. This is the verdict of SrImad-BhAgavatam (5.5.5): parAbhavas tAvad abodha jAtaH.

One should therefore be eager to understand the science of the soul (Atma-tattva). Unless one comes to the platform of Atma-tattva, by which one understands that the soul and not the body is oneself, one remains on the platform of ignorance. Out of thousands and even millions of ignorant people who are wasting their time simply gratifying their senses, one may come to the platform of knowledge and understand higher values of life. Such a person is called a jJAnI. The jJAnI knows that fruitive activities will bind him to material existence and cause him to transmigrate from one kind of body to another. As indicated in SrImad-BhAgavatam by the term zarIra-bandha (bound to bodily existence), as long as one maintains any conception of sense enjoyment, his mind will be absorbed in karma, fruitive activity, and this will oblige him to transmigrate from one body to another.

Thus a jJAnI is considered superior to a karmI because he at least refrains from the blind activities of sense enjoyment. This is the verdict of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. However, although a jJAnI may be liberated from the ignorance of the karmIs, unless he comes to the platform of devotional service he is still considered to be in ignorance (avidyA). Although one may be accepted as a jJAnI, or one advanced in knowledge, his knowledge is considered impure because he has no information of devotional service and thus neglects the direct worship of the lotus feet of the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

When a jJAnI takes to devotional service, he rapidly becomes superior to an ordinary jJAnI. Such an advanced person is described as jJAna-vimukta-bhakti-parama. How a jJAnI takes to devotional service is mentioned in Bhagavad-gItA (7.19), wherein KRSNa says:

bahUnAM janmanAm ante

jJAnavAn mAM prapadyate

vAsudevaH sarvam iti

sa mahAtmA sudurlabhaH

</font></center>

"After many births and deaths, he who is actually in knowledge surrenders unto Me, knowing Me to be the cause of all causes and all that is. Such a great soul is very rare." Actually a person is wise when he surrenders unto the lotus feet of KRSNa, but such a mahAtmA, great soul, is very rare.

After taking to devotional service under the regulative principles, a person may come to the platform of spontaneous love of Godhead, following in the footsteps of great devotees like NArada and Sanaka and SanAtana. The Supreme Personality of Godhead then recognizes him to be superior. The devotees who have developed love of Godhead are certainly in an exalted position.

Of all these devotees, the gopIs are recognized as superior because they do not know anything other than satisfying KRSNa. Nor do the gopIs expect any return from KRSNa. Indeed, sometimes KRSNa puts them into extreme suffering by separating Himself from them. Nonetheless, they cannot forget KRSNa. When KRSNa left VRndAvana for MathurA, the gopIs became most dejected and spent the rest of their lives simply crying in separation from KRSNa. This means that in one sense they were never actually separated from KRSNa. There is no difference between thinking of KRSNa and associating with Him. Rather, vipralambha-sevA, thinking of KRSNa in separation, as SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu did, is far better than serving KRSNa directly. Thus of all the devotees who have developed unalloyed devotional love for KRSNa, the gopIs are most exalted, and out of all these exalted gopIs, SrImatI RAdhArANI is the highest. No one can excel the devotional service of SrImatI RAdhArANI. Indeed, even KRSNa cannot understand the attitude of SrImatI RAdhArANI; therefore He took Her position and appeared as SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu, just to understand Her transcendental feelings.

In this way SrIla RUpa GosvAmI gradually concludes that SrImatI RAdhArANI is the most exalted devotee of KRSNa and that Her kuNDa (lake), SrI RAdhA-kuNDa, is the most exalted place. This is verified in a quotation from Laghu-bhAgavatAmRta (Uttara-khaNDa 45), as quoted in Caitanya-caritAmRta:

yathA rAdhA priyA viSNos

tasyAH kuNDaM priyaM tathA

sarva-gopISu saivaikA

viSNor atyanta-vallabhA

</font></center>

"Just as SrImatI RAdhArANI is dear to the Supreme Lord KRSNa [ViSNu], so Her bathing place [RAdhA-kuNDa] is equally dear to KRSNa. Among all the gopIs, She alone stands supreme as the Lord's most beloved."

Therefore everyone interested in KRSNa consciousness should ultimately take shelter of RAdhA-kuNDa and execute devotional service there throughout one's life. This is the conclusion of RUpa GosvAmI in the tenth verse of UpadezAmRta.

kRSNasyoccaiH praNaya-vasatiH preyasIbhyo 'pi rAdhA

kuNDaM cAsyA munibhir abhitas tAdRg eva vyadhAyi

yat preSThair apy alam asulabhaM kiM punar bhakti-bhAjAM

tat premedaM sakRd api saraH snAtur AviSkaroti

</center>

kRSNasya--of Lord SrI KRSNa; uccaiH--very highly; praNaya-vasatiH--object of love; preyasIbhyaH--out of the many lovable gopIs; api--certainly; rAdhA--SrImatI RAdhArANI; kuNDam--lake; ca--also; asyAH--of Her; munibhiH--by great sages; abhitaH--in all respects; tAdRk eva--similarly; vyadhAyi--is described; yat--which; preSThaiH--by the most advanced devotees; api--even; alam--enough; asulabham--difficult to obtain; kim--what; punaH--again; bhakti-bhAjAm--for persons engaged in devotional service; tat--that; prema--love of Godhead; idam--this; sakRt--once; api--even; saraH--lake; snAtuH--of one who has bathed; AviSkaroti--arouses.

</font>

Of the many objects of favored delight and of all the lovable damsels of VrajabhUmi, SrImatI RAdhArANI is certainly the most treasured object of KRSNa's love. And, in every respect, Her divine kuNDa is described by great sages as similarly dear to Him. Undoubtedly RAdhA-kuNDa is very rarely attained even by the great devotees; therefore it is even more difficult for ordinary devotees to attain. If one simply bathes once within those holy waters, one's pure love of KRSNa is fully aroused.

PURPORT

Why is RAdhA-kuNDa so exalted? The lake is so exalted because it belongs to SrImatI RAdhArANI, who is the most beloved object of SrI KRSNa. Among all the gopIs, She is the most beloved. Similarly, Her lake, SrI RAdhA-kuNDa, is also described by great sages as the lake that is as dear to KRSNa as RAdhA Herself. Indeed, KRSNa's love for RAdhA-kuNDa and SrImatI RAdhArANI is the same in all respects. RAdhA-kuNDa is very rarely attained, even by great personalities fully engaged in devotional service, not to speak of ordinary devotees who are only engaged in the practice of vaidhI bhakti.

It is stated that a devotee will at once develop pure love of KRSNa in the wake of the gopIs if he once takes a bath in RAdhA-kuNDa. SrIla RUpa GosvAmI recommends that even if one cannot live permanently on the banks of RAdhA-kuNDa, he should at least take a bath in the lake as many times as possible. This is a most important item in the execution of devotional service. SrIla Bhaktivinoda ThAkura writes in this connection that SrI RAdhA-kuNDa is the most select place for those interested in advancing their devotional service in the wake of the lady friends (sakhIs) and confidential serving maids (maJjarIs) of SrImatI RAdhArANI. Living entities who are eager to return home to the transcendental kingdom of God, Goloka VRndAvana, by means of attaining their spiritual bodies (siddha-deha) should live at RAdhA-kuNDa, take shelter of the confidential serving maids of SrI RAdhA and under their direction engage constantly in Her service. This is the most exalted method for those engaged in devotional service under the protection of SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu. In this connection SrIla BhaktisiddhAnta SarasvatI ThAkura writes that even great sages and great devotees like NArada and Sanaka do not get an opportunity to come to RAdhA-kuNDa to take their baths. What, then, to speak of ordinary devotees? If, by great fortune, one gets an opportunity to come to RAdhA-kuNDa and bathe even once, he can develop his transcendental love for KRSNa, exactly as the gopIs did. It is also recommended that one should live on the banks of RAdhA-kuNDa and should be absorbed in the loving service of the Lord. One should bathe there regularly and give up all material conceptions, taking shelter of SrI RAdhA and Her assistant gopIs. If one is thus constantly engaged during his lifetime, after giving up the body he will return back to Godhead to serve SrI RAdhA in the same way as he contemplated during his life on the banks of RAdhA-kuNDa. The conclusion is that to live on the banks of the RAdhA-kuNDa and to bathe there daily constitute the highest perfection of devotional service. It is a difficult position to attain, even for great sages and devotees like NArada. Thus there is no limit to the glory of SrI RAdhA-kuNDa. By serving RAdhA-kuNDa, one can get an opportunity to become an assistant of SrImatI RAdhArANI under the eternal guidance of the gopIs.</blockquote>

From the Introduction to Canto Eight of the Srimad-Bhagavatam:<blockquote>First of all, let me offer my humble, respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of my spiritual master, His Divine Grace SrI SrImad BhaktisiddhAnta SarasvatI GosvAmI PrabhupAda. Sometime in the year 1935 when His Divine Grace was staying at RAdhA-kuNDa, I went to see him from Bombay. At that time, he gave me many important instructions in regard to constructing temples and publishing books. He personally told me that publishing books is more important than constructing temples. Of course, those same instructions remained within my mind for many years. </blockquote>

The only q' I knew the answer to and Ghari beat me too it!

ps thanks very much for the verces explaining the appearance of Radha-Kunda. /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

In his Radhakundastakam Sri Raghunatha dasa has confirmed that the desirevine of love for Krishna of even an ignorant and unqualified person who performs some service at Radhakunda in the form of bathing there, living there, <font color="red"> seeing it </font color> or touching it, will blossom and bear the fruits of Radha's service:

Guest guest

"You can't buy a plane ticket to rasa. You can't take a bus or a train to rasa. The most rasika place in the world is the tongue that chants the Holy Name with love and devotion in a spirit of sacrifice.

Millions of dollars - great fortunes have been spent in this effort to buy a plane ticket to rasa by flying off to India, but it cannot be done.

It all happens on the tongue. If you can't make it happen there, you aren't going to make it happen by buying a plane ticket to India. If you had realized this already you wouldn't even be asking this question.

Chanting is sweet nectar. If you don't have a real experience of that then you must be doing something seriously wrong."

This answer of yours is the most intelligent answer I have ever heard. I have heard it once before, from my blessed husband.