IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
PN Prasad

A devotee

Rate this topic

"Devotion is very beautiful. A student comes to a master, a teacher, a guru, with tears in his eyes, there is so much problems. And when he leaves he carries the same tears, but the quality of the tear is different; it’s of gratitude. Still tears flow, but they are of gratitude, of love."

"Life is the process of "churning." Your mind is being churned by so many things, events happening. Your mind is churned and churned and churned, and finally, the "butter" comes---it's the sainthood, the saintliness in you."

"If you want to grow in Divine Love, you have got to drop the pride and all of the artificial wall we build between ourselves and others. In the "wall" we keep judging others, and we think others are judging us."

I have collected these quotes from various devotees from all the Sampradayas.

Many of the quotes can be found indirectly in the hymns of the Alvars. Some of them are from great devotees like Sri Lakshmi Thathachar (Melkote - Sri Sampradaya), Sri Bannanje Govindacharya (Udupi - Sri Madhva Sampradaya) and Sri Sri RaviShankar (Advaita philosopher).

I have many other quotes about devotion to the Supreme Lord by various teachers from the Advaita, Dvaita and Vishistadvaita Vidya peethas (study centres).

You build a world in your mind only through your intentions, your own thought processes. You go on building a castle: what the other person is thinking about you---they may not even think about you anything. You may simply not exist in other person's consciousness, for they are worried about themselves. But you build a big castle about what they are thinking about you in your mind.

You have just been overshadowed by the events in your mind---that is all that has happened. A cloud has covered the sun. What can any cloud do to the sun? Can it destroy it? Remember your nature. You are the only Soul, only Being.

"When there is love without respect, you don't take anything very serious. When there is only respect without love, then the nearness is lost. Something wonderful is lost; something beautiful is lost. But a devotee, a disciple, is a thorough combination of both these, respect and love. That is Divine Love."

"If you are established in non-violence, in your very presence violence will be dropped by other creatures. Someone comes to attack you, and as soon as they come near you, because your vibration is totally non-violent, they drop down. They stop being violent."

"The mind has promised you heaven, but it is taking you to hell. You have been chasing the mind; you’re trodding behind it. It increases the hunger and thirst in you by giving a little glimpse of joy here and there."

"There are only two relationships in which the mind can mind can burn, vanish, and dissolve---that is, surrender. And these two types of relationships: one is of servant, being a servant; as a servant, one can burn, vanish, dissolve. Another, as beloved; as beloved, one can burn, vanish and dissolve."

Nammalvar pleads with his heart to speak of God always even if it were in mockery:

---------------------------

There is not a moment to rest, my heart.

You could speak of Him in dispraise,

Laughing if you like

At the Lord of Mystery,

He of the sweet tulasi wreath,

At how he was beaten

By a woman of the cowherds.

You hang back even from that.

That is your curse.

'The world of man is sweet,’ says the Alvar, `but far sweeter the world of God’:

---------------------

Sweet are the days of friendship,

Sweet one’s family branching wide,

Sweet is the love of kinsmen,

Sweet are the uses of noble birth.

Yet, my good heart,

Do taste the limitless sweet of His praise,

He whose divine bow is ever bent

To protect those who love Him.

---------------------

'He has come into my heart,’ the Alvar cries, `There is nothing more to wish for’:

He the divine cowherd

So distant from us,

He who changes his form so,

That no one can near Him,

He the infinite mystery

Who on that distant day

Measured the worlds with His feet,

Has today come to me.

How, I do not know,

And life is Passing sweet.