IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
stonehearted

http://srimadbhagavatam.com

Rate this topic

many thanks. I now have a site i can direct people to to read some verses on their own in an easy to use format.

It's very nice. I can offer a quote here and there with a link to your site.

Is Isopanishad up anymore? Anyone know?

<font color="blue"> it's coming, it's coming! as soon as i possibly can. one book at a time working on the weekends. sorry it's going so slow. i have a 9 to 5 job, you know. no one will pay my bills for me and unfortunately the dole won't cover them and parasites are not welcome anywhere.

i got a present last year, a jacket that says "Who needs sleep anyway?" /images/graemlins/frown.gif

all those exalted personalities must have so much spare time in their lives to worry about which sex they would prefer to have sex with! us demons can only worry about the lack of time in our lives to even qualify to serve vaisnavas...</font color>

I was just asking. I had no idea you had it planned. But it does bring up the question of why you feel you need so much sleep. Couldn't you sleep every other day and work on Sri Isopanishad on the alternate days(nights). I mean its about priorities prabhu. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Kidding kidding just kidding.

I have time and would LOVE to help you if that was possible. But I am computer illiterate for the most part and haven't a clue as to what goes into making one of these pages appear on the web.

<font color="red">> Couldn't you sleep every other day and work on Sri Isopanishad on the alternate days(nights).</font color>

<font color="blue">I am already doing it (sleeping every other day). It's usually my working schedule for the past 14 years. I'm not proud of it, but I can't help it much. I'm a workaholic. My days I have to spend at work though - no money no honey. Luckily enough I'm not required to work precisely 9 to 5 here, it can be 12 to 8 or whatever, as long as I turn up at all. Anyway, I slept last night, but I didn't the night before, so now it's my working night again. I'm hoping to have Bhagavad Gita processed by morning.

There's now a list of planned books on http://vedabase.net

As usual, all kinds of suggestions and support are welcome.

Sean

PS: Even if you just keep talking to me about the books, it will speed up their appearance and improve its quality.</font color>

Guest guest

I wish i could help you. I don't see how people can get by on so little sleep. Even one day without my 7 1/2 hrs. and my brain starts to shut down. Different constitutions I guess.

I visit other forums where people have not heard of this literature. I try to work a verse into the conversation from SB and I have given a link to your SB site in hopes they will go there and read more. I like the fact that its a very simple presentation and if their interest gets piqued Supersoul will engage them even further.

Jagats idea about next and previous arrows was a good one. I think I saw your request for info. on how to do that. I hope someone has stepped up with the answer.

Hare Krsna

Guest guest

<font color="blue">It's </font color><font color="black">srimadbhagavatam.com</font color><font color="blue"> - not .org

I am also pleased to announce that my web site is approved and is fully supported by the BBT, hence the logo and the copyright. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

All the pages on the site are also now 100% compliant with the HTML 4.01 Strict standard according to the http://validator.w3.org. So it's expected to show properly on all the web browsers and changes to the entire site's design are now a matter of seconds thank to the style sheet.

One step at a time. Stay tuned for more...

Here are some nice verses for you to study meanwhile:

SB 5.5.4 - No you don't want that...

Read Books: CC Madhya 25.278

Distribute Books: CC Madhya 19.132

Royal Dress: CC Madhya 14.5

And our entire philosophy on one page: SB 10.2.37

Ruptor /images/graemlins/cool.gif</font color>

Ruptor, who'd have thought there'd be two. Very nicely done with sanskrit too; and most impressive the way you can search for all occurences of each sanskrit word in the word-for-word. I've changed my bookmarks, but I'll keep the pictures though.

Wow, even the verse references are hyperlinked! Man, that was a lot of effort you put into the Bhagavatam. Thank you.

My site has hardly changed since 1991 except for adding graphics. Efforts like yours and the other great work that is being done all over for Lord Caitanya are making me feel very proud of our heritage and starting to motivate me to put some more razzle into my Kingdom site. What a colourful story we can tell about our colourful Lord on the net.

gHari

Guest guest

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: S.B. 10.2.37

The word kriyasu, meaning "by manual labor" or "by work," is important in this verse. One should engage in practical service to the Lord. In our Krishnas consciousness movement, all our activities are concentrated upon distributing Krishna literature. This is very important. One may approach any person and induce him to read Krishna literature so that in the future he also may become a devotee. Such activities are recommended in this verse. Kriyasu yas tvac-caranaravindayoh. Such activities will always remind the devotees of the Lord's lotus feet. By fully concentrating on distributing books for Krishna, one is fully absorbed in Krishna. This is samadhi.

Guest guest

Srimad Bhagavatam was first as a response to www.srimadbhagavatam.org that simply pissed me off: there were only bogus translations of the Srimad Bhagavatam on the internet and I couldn't send people links to the particular verses of the Srimad Bhagavatam answering their questions about our philosophy.

The first version of www.srimadbhagavatam.com took about 3 hours to build and publish so I could show Tirtharaj what I planned to do. It had no diacritics or sanskrit links or inter-verse links, only plain text with the same layout. The rest of the night was spent purchasing domain names. Two more weeks were spent playing with different fonts to make sure the diacritics show correctly on Windows, Mac and Unix machines. Adding other books takes 1-3 hours each. Extra features like diacritics, links, etc. take longer (a day or two) as with every global change I have to rewrite my program that builds the site while making sure that all the books look the same and no links are broken (except for the TODO links). Rebuilding the entire site with such global changes takes about 5 minutes, plus another 8-12 hours to upload it.

Unfortunately I have no internet access for about a month now since I lost my job. I was in the middle of adding PREV/NEXT links, rebuilding the site with the BBT logo as a background image built into the style sheet and fixing the sanscrit pages with the same style sheet (the font there is wrong if you've noticed). From now on minor changes like colours of links etc. require changing only one style sheet file. Most of the pages have been already rebuilt as HTML 4.01 Strict standard compliant. If you look at the HTML, there's no layout details in it anymore.

Unfortunately I will only be able to finish it when I have a home again. Since I lost my job I'm in the middle of moving, staying at a backpackers place working on a contract developing a 10Gbps high speed encryption microchip [no money = no honey, and no home = no ADSL]. I'm still hoping to get the site rebuilt by Christmas - that is before my guru comes to visit Australia, so I could have something to report to him [read: to brag about].

The next planned improvements: add the remaining three books, add the original sanskrit texts (as GIFs), build a no-diacritics version of the site fooling the search engines (currently they won't find sanskrit words because of the special characters), add the sanskrit pronunciation guide, in the future with WAV files for each sanskrit word (maybe also building WAVs for the entire verses). And if the BBT kindly shares the texts in other languages with me, I can easily make the site multi-lingual at any time.

It may be 75,000 pages, but thank to the Bhaktivedanta Archives keeping the VedaBase more or less consistent my little program finds it quite easy to process with only a few minor format glitches and typos here and there that I have fixed manually. It wasn't really that much work, only a few weekends. I can't see a few hours of work as being engaged in devotional service. So please don't thank me. Thank Tirtharaj for hosting it and the BBT for the texts. They deserve all the credit. Seriously. I've only reformatted them in HTML, it's no big deal. I spend 1000 times more time enjoying myself.

the Ruptor

PS: I'm really glad that you people use the site and that you like it. I'm also glad that the BBT has fully approved it and is supporting the project [hence the copyright and the logo]. Not that anyone could stop me anyway (if you know who I am /images/graemlins/cool.gif). I'm just really glad to see that they are intelligent enough to see that it's not gonna hurt the book sales but actually increase them, also serving the Internet community with an authoritative source of our philosophy.

No one has an excuse for not reading the books now!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.audarya-fellowship.com/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1069057590">

Most Urgent Improvement

<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Next/Prev Links

<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Original Sanskrit

<input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />Sanskrit Pronunciation Guide

<input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />Sanskrit Pronunciation WAVs

<input type="radio" name="option" value="5" />More Books

<input type="radio" name="option" value="6" />Books in Other Languages

<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Guest guest

Yes it would take years if it was done manually. That's what computers are for and that's what computer programming is for.

See: Knuth, The Art of Programming

And I'm not humble, prabhu - my guru is. I have none of the 26 qualities of a vaisnava. I only hope that by the mercy of my spiritual master one day I will.

ruptor

Guest guest

<font color="blue">If you add site:vedabase.net to your search on Google, it will search the entire site. Adding individual domain names would search those particular books only.

I have just returned from a two month trip to India that my laptop didn't survive. A dedicated search page will be added to the web site as soon as I revive my poor pc. I have to finish non-diacritics version of the site first though, otherwise search engines cannot see words with dots or with other special characters in them.

Other good news: Spanish, Portugese and German versions are on the way too.

Ruptor</font color>

Ruptor,

That search function sounds great. So often I find myself at a computer without the Vedabase and wish I could do a search on the net.

The Harvard-kyoto convention is quite popular for representing special characters in ASCII. I have a C program that does it automatically. The source code is also included, giving the ASCII equivalents from Folio Vedabase to the Harvard-kyoto convention in <a href=http://home.primus.ca/~caitanya/h-k.zip>this zip file</a>. To accommodate the searching, likely the Z and G conventions should be dropped to simply S and N. (A description of the convention is included in a .gif file)

It could be a way to allow people to still get the pronunciation without using diacritics.

gHari

Guest guest

Srimad Bhagavatam on line. A really wonderful site. An eternal bookmark. Well Done!!