IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
livingentity

Fetal Rights?

Rate this topic

Interesting that you posted this today. The other day I was reading about this very thing. Also, I read that the doctors that came up with the death stats of botched illegal abortions in the 70's highly inflated the numbers so as to get the legalization to go through quicker. They had to pressure Betty Freiden (sp) to publish their stats - she was originally against it all.

I will try to find the article again because it was very interesting - if I remember correctly one of the doctors tried or is trying to rectify the situation that he created.

The Feminist Case Against Abortion

"Anti-abortion laws enacted in the latter half of the 19th century were a result of advocacy efforts by feminists who worked in an uneasy alliance with the male-dominated medical profession and the mainstream media. The early feminists understood that, much like today, women resorted to abortion because they were abandoned or pressured by boyfriends, husbands and parents, and lacked financial resources to have a baby on their own.

Betty Friedan, credited with reawakening feminism in the 1960s with her landmark book, The Feminist Mystique, did not even mention abortion in the early edition. It was not until 1966 that NOW included abortion in its list of goals. Even then, abortion was a low priority.

It was a man -- abortion rights activist Larry Lader, who remains active today -- who credits himself with guiding a reluctant Friedan to make abortion an issue for NOW. Lader teamed up with a gynecologist, Bernard Nathanson, to co-found the National Alliance to Repeal Abortion Laws, the forerunner of today's National Abortion Rights Action League (NARAL).

Lader suggested to the NOW leadership that all feminist demands (equal education, jobs, pay, etc.) hinged on a woman's ability to control her own body and procreation.

Dr. Nathanson, who later became a pro-life activist, states in his book, Abortion in America, that the two were able to convince Friedan than abortion was a civil rights issue. Later he admitted that they simply made up the numbers of women dying from illegal abortions, which had been a major point in their argument.

Lader and Nathanson's strategy was highly effective. NOW has made the preservation of legal abortion its number one priority.

With this drastic change, a highly visible faction of the women's movement abandoned the vision of the early feminists."

(Source: The Commonwealth, 9/99, The Feminist Case Against Abortion.)

What I find particularly interesting about the claims made in this article is that they support Srila Prabhupada's assertion that the sexual revolution and abortion-rights movements were aimed at making women moreaccessible for exploitation by men.