Guest guest

Honesty Is the Best Policy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Honesty Is the Best Policy

All glories to

Srila Prabhupada!

Dear Vaisnavas,

Please accept my humble and respectful obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

I write as an anonymous devotee who is struggling in spiritual life. I sincerely seek your insight, mercy, and advice. I don't know if others are going through the same things that I am.

Why are we often afraid to reveal where we really are on the spiritual path? I guess the real question that I ask myself is why am I afraid to reveal where I am on the spiritual path? I guess I am afraid of not being accepted and of being judged. I sometimes secretly enjoy it when other devotees are having problems. I coldly judge them. It makes me feel better about myself. Yes, this phenomenon exists in the society of devotees. But it also exists as a projection onto innocent bystanders from my own unclean heart.

I have been having ongoing problems in my spiritual life. The problems are not going away, indeed, they are growing like prickly weeds. I need your help. I am like an invalid on my own. Here is a glimpse into my internal ongoing daily struggles, a snapshot of my mind. I am embarrassed to admit these things, even to myself, but I know that this is the first step I must take in overcoming these things.

Here I sit drinking a cup of fully leaded coffee. A few questions... What is this coffee giving me? Why am I not taking this instruction seriously? How can I come to take this instruction, as well as other aspects of my spiritual life more seriously? What is at the core of this? These are indeed difficult questions. OK, bird by bird....

1. What is this coffee giving me? It is giving me stimulation. It is giving me more interest in life. It is giving me courage. It is giving me motivation.

2. Why am I not taking this instruction seriously? I have a growing interest in my material well being and a declining interest in my spiritual well being. Somehow I have the belief that this particular instruction is not terribly important in the big scope of things. Perhaps because I have transgressed this rule so many times that it has become commonplace. I would never consider other forms of intoxication such as drinking, smoking, etc, that I was once attached to before coming to Krishna consciousness. Why do I think that caffeine is OK? Srila Prabhupada even specifically mentions it many, many times. I also think, "So and so dasa has done it, So and so dasi has done it, they are good devotees. Maybe it's not such a big deal.

Do I feel intoxicated after drinking a cup of coffee or a diet coke? Yes. Has Prabhupada specifically mentioned that coffee is an intoxicant and against the regulative principles? Yes, many, many times, hundreds of times, not just some obscure quote of time and circumstance. If I told my spiritual master about this, would he approve (even slightly) of my drinking coffee? Definitely Not! Do I honestly think that I can keep drinking coffee and still please Guru and Krishna? They may tolerate, but be pleased, no. Is pleasing Guru and Krishna important to me? Not as important as it should be. It is honestly more important to me to please myself. That is why I continue, despite the fact that I know that it is wrong.

This gets to my last two questions. This is the core. My desire to please Guru and Krishna has diminished significantly. What came first, the chicken or the egg? I am at a crossroads. As experienced devotees have said, the tests keep getting harder and harder. Sincere sadhana and devotee association will be my only strength. I am at a fork in the road. Which direction I go is completely up to me. I cannot reach Krsna by philosophical speculation or by my internal sentiment. I must follow the process if I want the desired result. If I do not follow the process, my spiritual life is another fashion that I wear, another show. A farce. What do I really want? Krishna wants me to show Him. The choices that are presented to me are painstaking.

It is hard for me to work outside and still maintain spiritual determination. Yes, it is very hard. As a person very much on the emotional platform, I really take in my surroundings. This can be a great enhancer or a great hindrance depending on what my surroundings are. By the end of the weekend, I feel very enthusiastic for devotional service. By the mid workweek, I feel like an average materialist, blending right in with my co-workers.

My spiritual life is becoming less and less of a priority and more and more just another part of my life— more and more of a religion than a process or a way of life. My heart is plagued with constant turmoil in this tug of war. My raging desires demand that I try to enjoy as fully as possible while the small devotee voice urges me to push on with my spiritual progress. The little voice reminds me that this is what is really important to me.

Why can't I keep it in the forefront then? It is so frustrating. I have heard the answers hundreds of times in Bhagavatam classes. Why do I remain as if paralyzed? "It is lust only, Arjuna." I pathetically and half-heartedly push on in complete turmoil.

My sadhana is bare minimum, only the association and mercy of the devotees pushes me along. For a few days or weeks I rise early, attend temple programs as much as possible, give energy, attention, and importance to chanting my rounds, make sure that I read and/or hear every day. Gradually or rapidly it diminishes in such a way that I hardly notice, acknowledge, or give importance to it. I eventually regress to mumbling my rounds "whenever it is convenient," a few here and a few there. While I drive, while I ride my bike, while I lay in bed.

If I don't finish, "Oh well, I can make them up tomorrow or the next day." And I do make them up, but deep down I feel as though I am cheating, and yet I keep this as an acceptable standard. I may go days without hearing, and when I do, I listen as a form of entertainment with 15 percent attention or 20 percent attention— 60 percent attention on a good day. Before I know it, I am waking up at 6:00, just in time to roll out of bed and make it to work by 7:00. Eventually I muster up the determination to do better, but again, it doesn't last long.

I am totally frustrated and feel as though I am being torn in half. Giving up my personal agenda is painstaking and so is following it. I feel as though I am caving in while the outside of me smiles and says, "Haribol." I simultaneously want to surrender to Krishna and hate the fact that He, not I, is the center. I resent the fact that I suffer in this world while Krishna eternally enjoys His pastimes. At the same time, my heart yearns for Him.

I have been seeking the truth my whole life. Now I have found it. I can't deny it. There is no use in living a false life. I decided that long ago. Parting my hair down the middle and sweating underneath a cloth over my head and tolerating the insults of others makes me feel like screaming and cracking into a million pieces. I despise being told what to do in every corner of my life. Truly following the path of Krishna consciousness for me is so hard. I wish the truth were a little different, that I could just erase certain parts, but it isn't and I can't. Am I a total demon? Am I crazy?

These difficulties that I am having primarily arose when I started working and living outside, two and a half years ago. Before that, I lived in the ashram for five years. The transition has been very hard for me. Although my time in the ashram laid an excellent foundation for me that was in my best interest and that I am completely grateful for, I am not temple-devotee material for the long run.

Although my husband and I are best situated living outside, at the same time, I have had a very, very hard time working amongst non-devotees. I really took a nosedive in spiritual life when I started working. Being a financially self-supporting grhasta is a compulsory part of my life. How do others manage?

My spiritual life is in need of a revolution. Please help me.

Your servant,

Anonymous

Welcome to the struggle for freedom and love for God. You are such rare soul to even attempt to swim against the current of material consciencness.

The materialists are struggling also. But for what end? Continued birth, death and more struggle. The devotee's near future is much different. Sat Chit Ananda. You are nearing the top of the mountain. You have come so far to think of going back is not possible. The peak is always the hardest. The final push. We have been shown this. Arjuna falling in despair on the chariot before Krsna confessed his weakness of heart to Krsna. Christ praying in the garden of Gethsemane sweat blood the night before his sacrifice.

They were both being called upon to surrender their will to Krsna's. That death is the one we all fear. Of course it is necessary to gain real life."Die to live". Necessary, but defintely not easy. "Not my will by thy will be done."

For us these moments in the life of Arjuna & Christ may play out over several lifetimes. For sure Krsna will walk us through it just like He has for every other soul that gained genuine bhakti.

I always find such honest self appraisal refreshing. I believe in the power of introspection. But to be truly honest you will have to give yourself credit where credit is due as well. This may be the hardest.

Our present civilization is filled with animal slaughter, slaughtering of children in the womb, needless wars and various other forms of gross and subtle exploitation in between. To have to deal with this world at all is painful.

Prabhupada also lived as a householder. Just see how Krsna engaged him.

Yes you are having trouble with drinking some coffee and I don't minimize that, as that is between you and your guru. But I must say from where I am you appear to be a saint mata. Please do not judge yourself too harshly. Krsna knows you are His beloved servant. His love is unconditional and not dependent on if you drink some java or not. He will work out these small wrinkles for us.

My respects to you soul,

Hare Krsna

Hare Krishna

I think maya has def. got to you, and you feel chanting almost boring sometimes, I think it happens to most people, butv what are you gonna do, keep on chanting, why because of habit and it's addictive, and 'caffine' 'cups of cooffe' I think you should drink 'Lassi' with loads of chilli powder and hing (it gives you a good headrush) plus its all offerable to Lord Krishna, anyway pray to Srimati Radharani and I sure she will help you.

Guest guest

have faith in krishna,

challenge your self to do something right and regularly without failing.

ask krishna for help to enable you to succeed.

one day you will know it helped.

then take another chllenge, and so on.

build your confidence in you and faith in krishna.

jai sri krishna!

Dandavat pranams Vaisnavi. Sri Sri Guru Gauranga Jayate.

As a soul who has gone through what you are going through to the power of ten, I will offer a bit of wisdom I recieved from my Gurudev Srila B.R. Sridhar Dev-Goswami.

"The environment is friendly."

Krsna, in the form of the environment around us will send, without cessation, an endless stream of emmissarys, friends and well wishers in unlimited forms both known and unknown to us to help us on the path toward Suddha Bhakti. Krsna will always be there hiding behind the screen making arrangement after arrangement for the obstacles on our path to be eliminated. The only price we must pay is an absolute sincerity in ideal. An absolute unshakeable faith that; "Our standard, our ideal, may be A, I may be at Z but I have no doubt, no remaining reserve that by the mercy of the Guru, the Vaisnavas and Sri Sri Radha Govindasundari all of these petty details which currently frustrate me so will go away and I will find myself, at some point, as a result of Pure Grace living that ideal every second of every day. Barring offense to His Dearmosts, Krsna will never let us go. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to remind myself of this.

Guest guest

Dear vaisnavi,

please continue to be sincere.

Ask yourself few questions.

What is bhakti?

what is my goal.

Have I really got dikSa? Have I got sambandha-jnana?

what is the process to attain my goal.

Am I following the process.

Are there missing some ingredients from the process?

Why?

How can I improve (not maintain) my following the process?

Why do I not chant more?

Maybe you think that you are doing bhakti, maybe you are staying at the door of bhakti and trying to get inside through the walls.

If you are prepared to get the answers,

you will get them.

Maybe you got the answer,

but in a concealed form.

O worshipable Vaisnava Thakura! Ocean of mercy!

Be merciful upon this servant and, giving me the shade of your feet purify me.

I am taking hold of your lotus feet.

Alone I don't have the strength to perfom My harinAma saNkirtana.

Please give one drop of faith.

Please bestow upon me the priceless treasure of krsna-nama!

krsna se tomAra, krsna dite pAro

tomAra Sakati Ache

Ami ta kAngAla krsna krsna boli

dhAi tava pAche pAche

Krsna is yours! You have the power to give Krsna!

I am nothing more than a beggar running behind you,

calling out Krsna! Krsna!

Vaisnava GosAi, please give me you mercy this time! You are patita pAvana, purifier of the fallen. There is no one except you to save us!

All sins go away in your association. Where shall we find a master as merciful as you?

After touching the Ganga one becomes purified, but your quality is such that just the sight of you purifies one of his sins!

Offenses comitted at the lotus feet of Sri Hari are absolved by Harinama. But for offeses against you there is abyolutely no means of deliverance!

I also like coffee. But I don´t think it is wrong to drink it, and it is not intoxicating.

I don´t think service to God is ruined by coffee. Many Christians, monks and priests too, drink coffee and even drink alcohol. But they have devoted their whole lives to God.

Maybe you should find another path, which gives you more freedom in regards to "rules and regulations", which are so important in ISKCON and Gaudiya Math. Then you don´t need to have as guilty a conscience as you perhaps have now for drinking coffee.

What is the use of carrying on if you can´t follow? Perhaps the sadhana process itself is WRONG for you? Many others have also found out that it doesn´t work. Take a look around...

Some years back one of the head Christians, Pope John Paul II mentioned that his favorite meal would have to include vodkha and the most reprehensible food on Earth, veal. Not an acarya I am inclined to take example from.

No offense intended toward him. I am quite sure if the teachings of his tradition frowned even slightly upon this activity he would faithfully discard it, but alas that is not the case.

When one is determined to climb a steep hill it is never the recommended approach to put your momentum in reverse.

In this small fact I have strong faith.

Guest guest

Try to find a balance between material and spiritual live. Material live is also important. Don't try to put it away. You are not a sanyasi are you?

Satyameva jayate

Guest guest

Dear Devotee,

The first condition we must consider; is our connection with Sri Sri Radha and Krsna genuine. Are we hearing from

A self realized devotee, of the devotee of Mahaprabhu? If not, when we face difficult material circumstances

we will not be able to see them through transcendentle eyes. If we don't hear from the right persons

the cleansing stages of conditional life will be missed and we will face these obstacles again and again.

The material world is not our enemy; the enemy is our material motivations (thinking I am separate from Krsna).

We cannot give anything up and be successful but will be successful when we replace our material vision with

understanding provided by Sri Guru and Sri Krsna. In time we will see all things in relationship with Govinda and

the material and spiritual energy will harmonize in our hearts and minds. Faith and steadiness will increase to the

point that it will carry us beyond this Temporary stage to pure devotion. We have been given this life let's not waste it.

And for whatever it's worth you're not alone. PLease continue hearing Hari Katha from the genuine messanger.

I hope with all sincerity that you will be successful.

Hare Krishna,

Another Jeeva

Guest guest

All glories to

Srila Prabhupada!

Dear Anonymous,

Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

I was reading the letter that you wrote on Dipika and felt very touched by your honesty and humility in expressing yourself in such a way. I think that the dilemma that you’re facing is not much different than that which the majority of us encounter at some point in our lives, whether it’s because of work and study demands, household and family commitments, or the inevitable process of aging and illness.

I suspect it’s a lifelong struggle, balancing our spiritual duties and our material needs and obligations, but I find it helpful to try to perceive it as a challenge rather than a struggle. Don’t be too hard on yourself and get despondent. You’re not alone.

If you weren’t so sincere you wouldn’t even care about (or perhaps wouldn’t even notice) the difficulties that you’re encountering, let alone cry out for help. Such experiences are also valuable (although painful), as by honestly accepting our own weaknesses and shortcomings, we’re sowing the seeds of compassion in our hearts for others who are similarly struggling.

And unless we can learn to empathize with the struggles of our fellow devotees, how can we have real compassion for the suffering of humanity in general? Srila Prabhupada is so kind to give us the opportunity to at least for some time live in a temple, and get trained up in the basics of this process. Yet for most of us, to live in a temple ashram long-term is not realistic or practical.

However, moving outside the temple, though it can be difficult, can also be a great benediction, as it forces us to grow up and to take full responsibility for every aspect of our lives, both material and spiritual. As ashram residents, sleeping in on a regular basis, for example, wouldn’t be encouraged or condoned. If they do it, sooner or later someone is going to complain.

However, when we’re living outside, the onus is on us. Although sometimes difficult, this is also positive, as this is how we will genuinely mature, by cultivating self-discipline and self-motivation.

Regarding your japa, try to make your chanting your number-one priority. Make a resolution to rise early each morning, even if it means taking rest at an outrageously early time. As I’m sure you already know, it really makes such a big difference. Becoming regulated gives us spiritual strength, and by becoming stronger spiritually we also become happier. As a mother with a young child, for a long time I found my japa was quite weak too, as I was getting up late. Although 99 percent of the time I’d chant my rounds, I was chanting here and there throughout the day, and the quality wasn’t so great, something I felt extremely sad and guilty about, especially since as a bramacarini I had always strived to chant carefully and attentively. I’ve tried to get back to the basics more recently, and it’s totally transformed my spiritual life. I feel alive again. It’s definitely worth it.

Regarding the coffee, try to look for some healthy alternatives. Herbal teas are great. They’re caffeine-free and work on the various emotional states that we all go through— fatigue, despondency, and stress, for example.

You sound a little tired and run-down as well, so perhaps a change of diet, some vitamin supplements, and some exercise would be helpful. And if you really hate your job that much, just quit it and find another that is more uplifting for you, even if it means going back to study. So many people spend their entire lives working at jobs that they hate. Be kind to yourself.

The letter from Krsna-kirti prabhu was very inspiring and contained some terrific ideas. Several years ago my husband and I were preaching in a fairly isolated part of Australia, a long way from a temple. Although we desperately missed regular devotee association, it was one of the most wonderful experiences of our spiritual life, as we learnt to become more self-motivated, both in our sadhana and in our service. There was nobody else around to glorify us for what we were doing, to chastise us if we weren’t up early, to check if our rounds were attentive, that we were reading, etc, etc. We learnt to do them because we wanted to— for the pleasure of Guru and Krsna, and for the fact that we felt so blissful in doing so.

That independence was beneficial and constructive, as it gave us the opportunity to use our imagination to create various kinds of projects and programs. Whenever we had time, we’d be planning and discussing our various ideas or working together to advertise and promote them. Home programs are great, as so many people who would normally feel shy or reluctant to come to the more formal and exotic mood of the temple feel much more comfortable in the more relaxed environment of someone’s home. Why not give it a try? I’m sure it would work for you too, and as Krsna-kirti mentioned, it doesn’t necessarily cost so much or take so much time.

Another preaching idea that might work for you is to purchase Srila Prabhupada’s books and to distribute them to various institutions. Many temples already have established Sastra Dana projects that devotees can get involved in, but it’s also something that you can organize yourself. By donating Srila Prabhupada’s books to institutions, you give so many more people the opportunity to read them. Some places you could try are public libraries, school or college libraries, daycare centers, and pre-schools (there are some beautiful children’s books available), backpacker hostels, retirement villages, and jails.

Having such personal goals and projects gives us something positive and spiritually inspiring to meditate on the whole day, even when we’re engaged in boring and tedious duties. Use your imagination. What things interest you? What are your strengths and abilities, and how can you engage them in the service of Lord Krsna and His devotees?

Since I read your letter a couple of days ago I’ve been trying to think of other ideas that you may find helpful. Why not grow Srimati Tulasi Devi at home? Even if you live in a cold place where she won’t survive outside, with proper heating and lighting you could still manage to grow her. She is so merciful, and serving her is such a nice meditation. I’ve heard it said that the potency of our chanting is enhanced unlimitedly when chant in her association. In your spare time you could sew skirts for her and serve her in so many other ways.

Actually, a nice project to donate towards is the Vrnda Trust in Vrndavana. Contact Mother Daivi Sakti for more details (daivisakti.acbsp@pamho.net). This trust established a beautiful temple and maintains the worship of Srimati Vrinda Devi at Vrinda Kunda, her eternal home.

Another project that you might find inspiring to donate towards is the development of the ISKCON center in Ekacakra, the appearance place of Lord Nityananda. I’m sure that if you serve His transcendental appearance place, He will give you unlimited help and mercy to chant the Holy Names with strength and enthusiasm.

Some other ideas that might capture your imagination: Adopt a cow. Many ISKCON farming communities have this project. Sponsor a child with Vrndavan’s FFL project. If you’re creative, sew for the Lord or design and make beautiful jewelry for His pleasure. Creative projects like this are good, as you can do them in your own time and can even take them to work and do them in your lunch break. They’re also a complete meditation. By personally choosing the most beautiful fabrics, beads and decorations, we’re absorbing our minds and senses on the Lord’s transcendental form and our desires on creating something that will be pleasing to Him.

Anyway, I had better finish up here. I hope this was of some help.

Hari Bol!

Guest guest

A Reply to "Honesty Is The Best Policy"

All glories to

Srila Prabhupada!

Dear Devotee,

Fear of criticism and rejection is a very real reason to be cautious about revealing one’s spiritual feelings. Such a situation should not exist in a truly spiritual organization, but in the pursuit of a spiritual life, reality often falls short of the ideal.

Unfortunately, in many religious organizations, there are self-righteous individuals who find it easier to criticize the shortcomings of others than to examine their own behavior critically. You admit you have fallen into this trap yourself.

I find it tragic that someone struggling on the spiritual path is unable to find comfort and guidance through association with other devotees, many of whom are undoubtedly struggling through the same thorny wood.

Sukedava Goswami summed up your predicament very nicely when he said to King Pariksit; "The conditioned soul sometimes personally appreciates the futility of sense enjoyment in the material world, and he sometimes considers material enjoyment to be full of miseries. However, due to his strong bodily misconception, his memory is destroyed and again and again he runs after material enjoyment."

You say you are at a fork in the road and are undecided which way to go. A great Buddhist master once said: "When two paths open before you, always take the harder one." The reason for this sage advice is worth pondering. Of course, only you can decide which path you will take, but if you will accept a suggestion from another struggling devotee: first let go of the drama.

When you say, "I am totally frustrated and feel as if I am being torn in half" and "I feel as if I am caving in," it is obvious to me that you are relishing the melodrama of your predicament. Let it go. It has no bearing on what’s going on in your life. Always remember, nothing is either good or bad but thinking makes it so.

It is also important for you to realize that you are not alone. Nor are you a demon or crazy. You are simply struggling to escape Maya’s clutches, and every sincere devotee goes through this struggle in varying degrees. As recent events have shown, even respected sannyasis can succumb to the lure of material attachment.

Maya is a witch and very powerful. Resisting her wiles requires great persistence and strength of will. Although you will sometimes feel as if you are losing the battle, never give up. Remember, even if you don’t win in your present lifetime, the fact that you tried will be in your favor in your next life. Not everyone achieves full self-realization first time round: "Such a great soul is very rare."

If you really have found the truth, as you believe, it must be obvious to you which path you must follow. It’s fear of the struggle ahead that is holding you back and filling your head with spurious reasons for not taking it. Make a start by re-examining your beliefs about who you really are.

Your claim that you are emotional and easily influenced by your surroundings, that you hate being told what to do with your life and resent the fact that you suffer while Krishna enjoys His pastimes eternally, sounds to me like a classic example of false ego at work. Who is this "I" you are talking about?

You say that pleasing guru and Krishna is important to you, but more important is pleasing yourself. What nonsense this is from someone who claims to be Krishna conscious! Wrong way: go back! Listen to the small devotee voice that urges you to push on with your spiritual life. Deep down you know that this is the path you really want to follow.

Few people are temple-devotee material. The trick is finding a comfortable balance between your spiritual life and material existence. If you and your husband are having a hard time living among non-devotees, it is only because you are creating this situation for yourselves. I frequently observe that many devotees consider themselves superior in some way to karmis who are not Krishna conscious. This lack of compassion merely reveals the shallowness of their spiritual awareness.

You must accept the world as it is and try, as best you can, to fit your spiritual beliefs into a pattern of life that satisfies you without disturbing others unnecessarily. There is so much practical advice on how to do this in Srila Prabhupada’s books that all I can say is: try to listen more attentively. I suspect you are hearing but not understanding. These are not just mythical tales about devout kings, demons, demi-gods, sages, and seers. They encompass the full gamut of human spiritual evolution.

As for your attachment to coffee – get it in perspective. There are smarter things you could be doing, but there are also a lot worse. Your guru (if you have one) should be helpful and understanding. Only fools will be condemnatory. Don’t let your failure to overcome this minor weakness divert you from the spiritual path. There are more important things to get your head around.

PS. I am an older devotee with most of my life behind me. My only qualification for responding to your cry from the heart is that I understand what’s troubling you because of my own experiences on the spiritual path. We are birds of a feather, so to speak. I hope I have at least given you food for thought.

Guest guest

... means simply to be real about where I'm at.

I too have my problems and addictions. But I have come to accept that. Not that I approve. But just that I'm honest about where I'm at.

George Harrison once expressed a desire to move into a temple and shave up. Prabhupada told him his service was more valuable as the role of a famous karmi.

They are many sannyasis who thought themselves qualified to carry on Prabhupada's work. We all know those stories.

Honestly, I have resigned myself to the very probable fact that I will not return to Godhead in this lifetime. This relieves alot of stress since I am not at odds with what I think I should be and pushing myself to be something I'm not.

As long as you have affection for Krsna, that will carry you forward.

Nature has her own way. You can't force your way through. Let it be.

Guest Guess

Guest guest

Do you do what you would really like to do in life? Do you engage in the work you really want to?

For me it sounds as if you are not satisfied with your job and so your material struggle goes not well. As a result, how can you concentrate on spiritual life?

It looks as if you need to set your prioroties different. I did a job I hated for many years, till I found what I wanted to do. Now, Krisna has shown me that I can be engaged meaningfully, and do it with love. That love is then easily directed to Krsna and so my struggle has become a lot less. I surrender what I like to do very easy, as "I am the ability in man" (BG I don't know verse and chapter possibly 10th) I realise that what I like to do most, is that ability and God-given, so I better give it back as thanks.

Hope this inspires you.

Vaikunthanath das Kaviraj.

Guest guest

Save guess I think (most people have a job), but wrong.

I don't have to be someone's dog for a paycheck. I'm fortunate enough not to have to do that now.

I can do what I want and I have large devotional projects going on.

I was referring to the more personal demons we live intimately with inside. Prabhupada didn't call devotional service a razor's edge for nothin'.

There's a beauty in knowing our real positions. I remember hearing there's a SB verse to that effect, but I can't remember where it is. If we know where we are, it's easier to figure out how to get to our destination.

Your candor graces this forum.

I am perhaps the world's leading expert about why we should give up coffee.

As a computer salesman in the early seventies, I would be offered half a dozen cups of coffee a day as I moved from prospect to prospect. I would drink a family-size bottle of Coke at home and of course, my wife and I were hooked on Turtles, the chocolate-covered peanut clusters.

When I began travelling extensively, I would have to sit in the hotel bar with clients until 1:00AM and then catch a plane at 6:00AM. In order to wakeup I took little "Wake-up" pills, each the equivalent of seven cups of coffee. I knew caffeine indeed.

Then Srila Prabhupada's books arrived and recommended no coffee. That was one attachment I thought I could give up right away. So I did. For four weeks I was in terrible pain - pain that doctors could not explain. Finally the last neurologist as he walked out of the room said "Some people get similar migraines as withdrawal symptoms after quitting coffee cold turkey".

The pain was actually good for me, for I have never broken the caffeine fast since. I have found this: now I need no drugs to wake me up. Whatever function in me that wakes me up naturally had atrophied because it was just not being required.

As far as all these habits we have in the beginning to deal with, they will disappear. We are not strong enough to beat some of them, but Krsna and His name are. He will take care of it in time. Like everyone who knew me, I was very amazed that some of these attachments eventually left. If you knew the rogue that started this quest, you too would be amazed seeing this almost saintly princely character before you. [big chuckle here]

We do what we can do. Like the little sparrow who tries to drain the ocean with her little beak to save her eggs, we keep trying our best. Just as eventually Lord Garuda steps in and orders the ocean to give up the eggs, Krsna will somehow arrange for the attachments to fade and disappear, He will force maya to give us back our life.

gHari

I post this here for all lovers of honesty, sincerity and compassion which the author of this thread elicits:

1. We are put to test and trial in this world. Only those who attend the kirtana of the devotees can succeed.

2. Every spot on earth where discourses on God are held is a place of pilgrimage.

3. Possession of objects not related to Krsna is our main malady.

4. Let me not desire anything but the highest good for my worst enemies.

5. As dalliance with the body in luxury increases, so wanes the spirit of service of the Lord.

6. Those favored by God find their paths set by thorns.

7. There is no peace or happiness in our worldly life. Circumstances create turmoil and annoyance.

8. Chant the mahamantra loudly and with attachment. This will drive away inertia, worldly evils and pests.

9. Be indifferent to bazaar gossip, stick firmly to your cherished goals, no lack or impediments of the world will ever stand in your way.

10. Pay due respects to the extroverts of the world, but do not be appreciative of their manners and conduct. They are to be shaken off from your mind.

11. A devotee feels the presence of God everywhere, but one averse to the Lord denies His existence anywhere.

12. You cannot appreciate transcendental matters with the reasoning of the world. It is sheer nonsense to decry them with the measuring stick of your intellect.

13. To recite the name of Sri Krsna is bhakti.

14. Life is for the glorification of topics on Hari. If that is stopped, then what need is there to carry on life.

15. Physical illness with Hari-bhajana is preferred to physical fitness without Hari-bhajana.

16. Our span of life on earth is short. Our life will be crowned with success if the body wears out with constant discourses on Hari.

17. We are here on earth not to work as artisans for making big buildings with wood and stone but to work only as messengers for the teachings of Sri Caitanya Deva.

18. A sycophant is neither a guru or a preacher.

19. To transform the adverse desires of the jivas is the supreme duty of the most merciful. To rescue one person from the stronghold of Mahamaya is an act of superb benevolence, far superior to opening innumerable hospitals.

20. Unless we are devoted to God, secularism shall not leave us.

21. Look within. Amend yourself, rather than pry into the frailities of others.

22. In this world of Maya, averse to the Lord, full of trials and tribulations, only patience, humility and respect for others are our friends for Hari-bhajana.

23. The Lord, Gaurasundara, puts His devotees in various difficulties and associations to test their patience and strength of mind. Success depends on their good fortune.

24. When faults in others misguide and delude you - have patience, introspect, find faults in yourself. Know that others cannot harm you unless you harm yourself.

25. I wish that every selfless, tender-hearted person of Gaudiya Math will be prepared to shed two hundred gallons of blood for the nourishmentof the spiritual corpus of every individual of this world.

Posted Image

"Those who are unwilling to show any duplicity, wish to be frank and straightforward, or in other words to exercise unambigiously the function of the soul , such really sincere persons are called sectarian and orthodox by those who practice duplicity. We will cultivate the society only of those who are straightforward. We will not keep company with any person who is not so. We must by all means avoid bad company. We are advised to keep at a distance of a hundred cubits from animals of the horned species. We should observe the same caution in regard to all insincere persons."

Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura

Guest guest

Posted Image

to the Lotus feet of his Divine Grace Srila Bhaktisiddanta Saraswati Thakur