IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Passing Away of Bahudak Prabhu

Rate this topic

I was just informed that Bahudak Prabhu passed away last week from a heart attack. I have no independent confirmation, but if so this is very saddenning. Bahudak Prabhu was responsible for the building up of Krsna Consciousness on the West Coast of Canada, building very nice devotee communities and a farm. I always knew him as a really honorable person who really inspired the devotee community. In addition, he was simply the best kirtaneer I've ever heard. A wonderful singing voice and energetic presentation. Again, I have no independent confirmation, but thought I should pass this along. If anyone can confirm this please do.

Thank you for the confirmation and for the link. The tribute was very nice. Also, the picture that accompanied it also confirmed something for me. For years I've had "arguments" (nothing serious) with friends when I say that is Bahudak in that picture. They say "No, thats not Bahudak", and I was always positive it was. It had to be Bahudak with the wooly hair, and physical build. Its a famous picture, and everyone has seen it. Now I have confirmation. Thanks again.

Guest guest

Haribol, I am mortified by hearing this. The great bhajana, the hurdy gurdy man, we never met though so close. The road show awaits, hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Guest guest

I just came back from the temple where I heard the sad news that Bahudak Das, the old temple president of Vancouver Iskcon, exciting kirtan leader and driving force behind the temple presidents' reform movement in the 1980's, suddenly died of a stroke last week. I have heard no further details, but if anyone here has an address to which I could send condolences to his family, I would greatly appreciate it.

I shared correspondence with Bahudak a few years ago on the Garuda and later VNN Forums. He was a man whose mind had been opened by the experiences of life and had grown tremendously. He likely still had much more to contribute to the maturation of this movement and I hope that his reward is great for the sacrifices he did make in this life and the service he rendered to his guru, to the Holy Name and to Krishna.

Jai Radhe.

Jagat

Guest guest

Haribol, jagat. The whole of Canada is at a loss with Sriman Bahudakas passing. I never got his address, only his e-mail, which has not been used for over a year. I was so looking forward to attend the music featival he began way up north in BC. He gave me a nice overview of the first one a couple of years ago, and it sounded so wonderful. Get a bunch of world musicians together, and a gentleman like bahudaka would certainly engage them all is a jam of Harinama.

I give my warmest feelings of condolence to his wife and children, and humbly apologize for waiting too long to meet me braddah face to face.

But his music will always make me happy, seeing him on stage with the road show, the lead bhajana singer at many a rathayatra, his wonderful, un-biased non-confrontational contributions to Garuda Express and early VNN. Nothing but tears at hearing this sad news.

Hare Krsna, I offer obiesancies to all Canadian Devotees at the loss of Sriman Bahudaka das, hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Guest guest

In the picture that the link leads to Bahudak is not the short colored man with the "wooly" hair in the saffron dhoti playing the mrydunga, that could be Sukadev, another Vancouver devotee. I can't tell for sure if the tall devotee in white facing Srila Prabhupada is Bahudak without seeing his face. Gaurachandra's reference to "wooly" hair confused me although his reference to build seemed to indicate the tall devotee playing the mrydunga.

I was very saddened to hear that he had died. Once in Seattle in 76 the city had a parade and the Seattle Hare Krsna's and some of the Vancover devotees, including Bahudak all got together and entered it. A man and woman dressed as Rahda-Krsna and the rest of us all chanted along. I remember looking at the crowd on either side of the parade route, there must have been ten-thousand people looking at us and joining in the kirtana. When we got to downtown we just stood in a circle and chanted for hours. I went to get water and heard a flute playing over the noise of the thousands of people. Bahudak told me that I had the best voice in the movement and to never stop using it to sing and to chant Krsna's names. Though its been over 25 years since I left the movement I never have, and never will, such was the power of Bahudaks inspiration upon me.

Hari bol

Guest guest

Haribol, the black devotee in the photo is my old friend, the late sudama swami. Guru krpa swami is facing the camara. If you knew what these three (sudama, gk, bahu)could do to a large chanting party, well, it is all said in the expression on Srila Prabhupadas face.

Sukadeva was also a great kirtana man, and I had a few nice sessions with him in 1977 when he was tp of laguna.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

lead the best of kirtans I think. He would stay on the Hare Krsna mantra for hours straight, same nice tune. Clear, steady, sustained.

I prefer that so much over the kirtan that changes every few minutes to another song, another tune etc.

So sad to hear about Bahudak! Tho glad I came to this forum and found out. I went to a Rath in Canada years ago. Wonderful kirtana leader!

You're right Mahaksa, that IS Sudama! I never saw him that thin. Well, it is an old picture. I wonder the devotees ages there. We were all so young!

YS,

Prtha dd

Guest guest

I must have been standing right next to the photographer at the time, because that photo is exactly what I saw with my own eyes (San Francisco, Golden Gate Park, Summer of '74). What a moment of transcendental sweetness.

Padmapani das

Guest guest

Haribol, yes, the party was always best in front of Srimati Subhadra's cart.

Besides the kirtana folks there, Visnu jnana also was going from cart to cart, and came to join bahu, sudama, and guru krps for a prolonged session that had Srila Prabhupada jumping up and down with joy.

The essence of devotional service is in front of Subhadras car.

Mercy Ship c.1993, mahaksadasa

You came into my life from oh so far,

Riding through my mind in Subhadra's car,

Without a single purpose but to save the world.

Your Song has more power than all the missles they have hurled.

All the holy men came to show the way.

Many people listened to what they had to say.

Some of them insane, some just went to other things,

Not knowing the difference between soldiers and Kings.

They wanted to steal my mind, take away my land,

A trade for a philosophy no one can understand.

They prey on people' greed, take advantage of their fear.

They say anything the people want to hear.

Tricks, treachery, cheap words, and smiling nods,

Are needed to convince the ignorant they are gods.

Crime, poverty, death, gods exposed as fools,

Tossed around like ants into giant whirlpools.

But You did not come to advertize Your name.

You had no pressing needs to strive for selfish fame.

You have what you are given, and to me You bring,

Matchless Gifts, if I would only dance and sing.

You have gone back to Vrndavana, left me all alone,

On these streets of Armageddon, weary to the bone.

Yet You leave Your loving Lifeline, waiting for my grip.

Through these dreadful waters, You guide the Mercy Ship.

Haribol, bahu, i only had ten minutes of your association at la rathayatra in 1980, but we certainly were friends in the very sense of the term. Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Great soul, no doubt. Canadian treasure for those who know how to relish.

vaiSNav-vipralambha = SrIla RAmAnanda RAya's only pain source.

He certainly followed HaridAs ThAkur's advice by LOUDLY chanting Holy Names wherever he went...

balancing a significantly sizeable family a la fois.

Behind every great man... one great mAtAjI must be there too.

Godbrothers may have their differences... but we should all be able to gather our forces for collective HarinAm-sankIrtan.

How else can this world be saved? How else can we be saved?

ps - whatever happened to Vancouver's Roadside Kingsize MahAprabhu?

Or was it Victoria's? 10m tall?

Guest guest

What a beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing it.

Lady Subhadra ki jaya! Pulling Srila Prabhupada on Lady Subhadra's cart ki jaya!

All glories to the assembled devotees.

Pd

Guest guest

The first time I visited a temple, was in Vancouver. At that time, it was 1969 i think, the temple was just a small apartment, over a buisness in an industrial section of town. The next Vancouver temple I attended was in a house, off Arbutus St. That was the mid 70's. Bahudak was the temple president. His kirtans were the most wonderful. It was his dedication and hard work that made it possible to get the nice property where the present temple sits. But even then, there was no temple on the property. Nice apartments for the devotees, but just barren land to go with them. It was Bahudak's dedication that inspired others to work together and build the beautiful temple there now. All devotees that live there, as well as all the hundreds of thousands of people that will visit the temple in the future, will be indebted to Bahudak.Posted Image

Guest guest

Haribol, on 2-23-90, I went to the Vancouver temple, and the grounds were deserted. It was also the day that US sent ground troops to mop up Iraq in desert storm. I tried to find bahu, but no one was around, but then I saw the greatest of devotees there, srimati tulasi devi, in the middle of BC winter, only covered by a sheet of thin plastic, but she was thriving. This is proof of the quality of devotion, tulasi will not stay where non-devotees rule.

I was sad upon leaving, because it seemed that ISKCON dried up, but tulasi gave me courage to have failth in the everlasting effect of Srila Prabhupada and his stalwart disciples like the late Bahudaka Prabhu.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Guest guest

"It reasons ill to say that Vashnavas die as they are living still in sound.

The Vashnavas live to die and die to live and while living spread the Holy Name around."

Back home Back to Godhead Bahudak such a blissful devottee with allways a smile on his face,enjoyed very much being a devottee .

Now he has also returned to Srila Prabhupadas Lotus Feet

All Glories to this great servant of Srila Prabhupada

Guest guest

[A message from Bahudak prabhu, 1998]

Dear Prabhus, All Glories to Srila Prabhupada and respects to all sincere devotees of the Lord.

I have just returned from a week spent at the Mexico yatra's where I went to chant the mighty mahamantra at Guadalahara's wonderful Rathayatra festival. What an ecstatic and eternal feeling to chant with the devotees for the pleasure of the Lord, together bringing the Holy Name to the people! Like last year I was struck by the sincerity and dedication of the devotees and my own devotional creeper was nourished by good association. I was so warmly received by the devotees that it reminded me of my place in the Vaishnava family created by Srila Prabhupada.

Thru out the year my main association is via the internet which tends to create a cynical and overly negative impression towards ISKCON and particularly ISKCON GBC and gurus. I must report that when I have the chance to associate directly with senior men that I find a degree of sincerity, simplicity and devotional commitment that gives me much more optimism about ISKCON and the GBC.

This year I had the chance to associate with Virabahu prabhu, Bir Krishna Swami, Guru Prasad Swami, and Jagat Chaksus prabhu. I do not find these senior men to be anything but hard working, thoughtful, sincere and humble devotees of the Lord. I had some open discussions on a variety of issues that concern me, such as child abuse and the ritvik philosophy.

I believe that the GBC is taking more and more concern for what happened to the children and that genuine solutions are being discussed. When I left the movement in 1987 it was primarily due to disgust that no-one would listen or respond to incidents of child abuse and in fact I became anti-ISKCON believing that great wrongs were being denied and covered-up.

As I see ISKCON attempting to face the failures towards the children and looking towards helping them, I am greatly encouraged and my old feelings of loyalty and faith in ISKCON are returning. I think that on this issue we were very "dirty" but as Prabhupada says if a dirty man is standing in the shower attempting to get clean, why should we denounce him?

I know that in the minds of many of the ex gurukuli's who were abused ISKCON's attempts to rectify things have been too little, too late and too P.R. motivated, but I do observe a growing determination to deal with the past abuses that hopefully will go far enough to satisfy most of the victims.

As far as the ritvik issue is concerned I had some good discussions particularly with Virabahu prabhu that have given me a better understanding of the weaknesses in the ritvik proposals. Although I have not made an in-depth study of the issue, like many Prabhupada disciples I have been thinking that the ritvik concept of guru would solve many vexing problems and allow the movement to regain a sense of unity and strength. It is so disturbing when big gurus fall down in disgraceful manner such as Jagadisha das and Harikesha das, and creates so much havoc to one's faith, what to speak of the suffering to the many disciples of such persons. The ritvik proposals seem to offer a way out of these upheavals but I now see there are some major problems that they also create.

The ritvik solution seems to be an easy and quick fix that might return us to the "Glory Days" before Srila Prabhupada entered samadhi. Beware of quick fixes however, as the long-term implications may not be obvious. I would like to see people like Virabahu write more on this topic as he had some powerful points to make. He pointed out that Prabhupada never said that he would be the only acharya and guru after his departure and on the contrary he repeatedly said that his disciples would initiate. He clearly said that his books would be the basis and stand for ten thousand years as the lawbooks for ISKCON but guru is a different issue.

Also, the point that really hit me was this: how can we assume that Prabhupada wants to accept the millions of disciples that would be brought to him? Do we have the right to burden him with this responsibility without his agreement? Does this not make Prabhupada a "concept" and not a person? Prabhupada is and was a person with full freedom of choice. He chose to accept us (initiated Prabhupada disciples) as disciples and accept the burden of our karma and the responsibility to guide us back to Home, back to Godhead. How can we nominate him to do the same for thousands or millions of others? This does strike me as presumptuous on our part and a rather impersonal concept.

In any case, as one who has mostly become inactive in working to furthur the purposes of the Krishna Conscious movement I would like to thank all the sincere devotees of the Lord who continue to work within the ISKCON framework to keep the temples going, the books published and distributed, the prasadam going out and the festivals happening.

Jai Jaganatha!

Your servant,

Bahudak das.

P.S. Thanks also to Bhakta Ian at the L.A. airport from whom I was able to receive several of my favourite books, Bhagavad Gita and Srimad Bhagavatam Vol 1-1.