IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
jakki36

Wanting to learn more about Hinduism

Rate this topic

I am currently questioning my current belief in Christianity and am exploring beliefs of Hinduism but I go to a Christinan school and have no one to talk to about Hindu beliefs. I am hoping someone can lead me in the right direction to find more about Hinduism.

Hey Jakki. I'm sure you will get a lot of help on this forum. The WWW has tons of information out there about Hinduism. Let me suggest a couple of sites:

http://www.vedanta.org

http://www.iskcon.org

ISKCON, in my opinion, is kind of shady. They started out with wonderful intentions but after the founder died in the late 70s things got a little crazy. They are still, however, a wonderful resource to use in your spiritual search. The founder, A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, translated many ancient religious texts into English and they are all still available through a branch of ISKCON called the BBT (Bhativedanta Book Trust). Just look up "Prabhupada" on Ebay and I'm sure you'll pull some of his books up.

One book that is essential is called the Bhagavadgita. Prabhupada translated this one also but there are other translations too. I recommend either his translation or one which I highly enjoyed called "The Bhagavadgita, Song of God" by swami Prabhavananda. There are also websites that have the Bhagavadgita online. Here is the address to one of them:

http://www.hare-krishna.org/srila-prabhupada-books.htm

So start reading the Bhagavadgita and that will give you a nice introduction to the world of Indian philosophy and religion. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Jakki,

Lord Krishna says that people come to Him for several reasons. Some for spiritual, some for material. It all depends on our past karma. In either case, it doesn't matter, so long as we go to Him. The first obstacle one needs to cross in spiritual pursuit is the barriers of religion. So, it is not that you are giving up Christianity and embracing Hinduism. Even though for most of us, religion is a part of our identity, spiritualism is the connection we make with our Lord, and hence independent of such identities.

A nice way for you to start with would be to read Bhagavad Gita. Those were the words spoken by Lord Krishna, and very well sums up the essence of Hinduism. Prabhupada has translated and commented on it and his book is called Bhagavad Gita As it is. It is also available in free electronic format at: http://asitis.com/ It has 18 chapters and 700 verses and follows a sequence. Prabhupada gives a word by word translation of the original Sanskrit text, and also adds an English commentary to it.

Once you have read this, you may choose to read many other Hindu scriptures. How one pursues spiritualism varies from one individual to another. Organizations provide you with excellent resources, but then there are always a few avoidable problems, though minor. Some try to study on their own, but for those not familiar with the traditions, this may prove difficult. Hinduism is not just about scriptures. It has been a way of life. In addition to scriptures, the realizations and lives of great saints is an integral component of Hinduism.

In any case, for those who seek Him, Krishna shows the way.

You haven't told whether you want to learn Hinduism so that you can practise it or if you want to study that as an academic pursuit. Most of what I have written above applies to the former. In case your pursuit is academic, please let me know, and I can provide information.

Guest guest

I think its good u want to learn about Hinduism. It is an ancient faith which is still as pertinent now as it was in the beginning. Just remeber though u can never be a Hindu proper as u have to be born a Hindu.

Just remeber though u can never be a Hindu proper as u have to be born a Hindu.

On what basis do you make such an absurd statement? Can you cite some shastra that supports your claim?

If we are speaking of Sanatana Dharma, then this is certainly not true at all. Sanatana Dharma is the eternal function of the soul. It exists beyond the material coverings of body, mind, and ego. Performance of Dharma is not the property of any particular race, religion or people. The great saint Haridas Thakur was born in a Muslim Family, but Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu embraced him and accepted him as the greatest teacher and perfect example for all to follow.

It is unfortunate that some followers of Hinduism disregard the teachings of the Gita and give such importance to material birth. The atma is situated beyond the body, and the true functions of dharma are enacted on this level of the soul.

The Srimad Bhagavatam tells us that those who consider their place of birth to be worshipable are ignorant of true dharma. And those who judge a devotee of God by his external body are blinded by ignorance.

God sees the heart of the devotee, not the family they were born in.

Guest guest

Just remeber though u can never be a Hindu proper as u have to be born a Hindu.

Right. And you can never be a Catholic proper unless you are born in Rome:(

Guest guest

People like you give a bad name for hindus no wonder those who take up sanatan dharma outside of India do not want to id with hindus.I am a hindu but what good is it if do not pratice the dharma

Guest guest

Dear Jakki,

Did you know that the Christian "church" believed in reincarnation up to 553 AD, but this belief was then abolished just like that. Speaks volumes for the integrity of the "church".