IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Perfect Papadams

Rate this topic

Just wanted to pass along the secret to perfect papadams. I discovered this a few weeks back. Just take your popper and put it in a microwave. Turn it on and watch as all the raw spots are cooked. After a minute or so all the spots will be gone and before long you will have the perfect popper. No burnt spots, evenly cooked. I’m eating one right now. Yummm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A few weeks back it was just a test, but it has totally changed my views on papadams. I never ate them much because it was such a pain to cook over the fire. When heat is applied it starts to curl over on itself and flop around. Then parts get burned etc.... With the microwave it comes out literally perfect. Nice and flat, and evenly cooked.

BTW its good to see you again livingentity. Do you know how Jayaradhe is doing? Shes in my prayers.

It is good to be back. I went away for the summer and stayed longer than expected and there was no internet.

JayaRadhe is at her mother's house to be close to the hospital and doctors. She does not have a computer there and I am missing her daily association very very much! I plan to call her in the next day or so and will let her know that you were asking about her. She is going through a lot right now and she is in my prayers also.

Hmmm.. lets see. Its an Indian food. Basically think of it as a thin circular cracker. It comes initially raw, and kind of plasticky (in look, its brittle). When heat is applied to it, the surface bubbles up and it forms a type of cracker. Its something to munch on. Some are plain, others have different spices imbedded in the surface of the cracker.

oh papadams!. In India they are popularly called karram kurram, kurram karram going by a popular brand.

Posted Image

well, you can try yourself by going to any indian store in your city. look for the above popular brand (lijjat). Without papads, the store is not called an indian store!.

you can smear little oil over it and place it in microwave till it swells evenly.

-Prasad.

-Prasad,

I appreciate your response.I live in a very small town, that has mainly plain american foods, with the exception of a small Mexican grocery store.I may be able to find an Indian store in our state's capitol city..I do not know, but I would surely try...I have always like to try different things, even before I had decided to try to change my way of eating to the vegetarian life-style.I have gone to various Indian web-sites to try to find recipes, but find it sometimes hard to find out what certain ingredients are, as they are something I am not familiar. In talking to some of my Indian friends, I have found that some are the same as what we have here, but maybe called something else there..Do you have any help in converting some of these ingredients into something I can understand? Thanks again for giving me a product name I can ask for, when and if I find that Indian store. Debbie

Thanks Livingentity,

I just went to that web-site just browsing for now. Maybe I can order sometimes.I don't know anything about Indian food, so I may have to ask some questions to the board or to the site before ordering. Debbie

Debbie,

If you order canned food or jar food - order a brand that is packaged in the U.S. for example Nirav brand is very good. I had some bad experiences with some that was packaged in India. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif No problem with the papads though.

They have several different brands of papads - some plain some with spices. Yummmmy!! All good!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Livingentity,

I have never ordered food through the mail, but I surely will give it a try..I have always liked to experiment with different taste.Now that I am trying to become a vegetarian,there is so much more, I want to experiment and try. I will for sure want to make those papadams one of my first purchases. It is safe getting food through the mail? Debbie

Livingentity,

I have never ordered food through the mail, but I surely will give it a try..I have always liked to experiment with different taste.Now that I am trying to become a vegetarian,there is so much more, I want to experiment and try. I will for sure want to make those papadams one of my first purchases. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Is it safe getting food through the mail? Debbie

Can any of you suggest some other things that I might order,in addition to the papadams, that I might try out? I thought maybe I would at least order a two or three things, while I am ordering..What about spices..Are they good?

Debbie

Shiva,

I know in the town where next to where I work, they have a GNC store. Do you think they would have any in there? I think before I try to order,I will maybe checkout some nearby towns for Indian groceries and the health food stores.Thanks. Debbie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My microwave decided to retire the other day and since fried papads are so greasy I decided to use my little electric oven to toast some.

I do not suggest doing this!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

In a matter of seconds there were flames shooting out the oven and I had to yank the cord out of the wall and carry this flaming appliance out the door and dump it in my driveway! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Good thing I did not try to toast them in my regular oven - I don't think I could have carried it out the door!!