IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

The blues - depression

Rate this topic

http://www.beckwithfamily.com/Flax1.html

I have known about flaxseed oil for maybe 8 years or so. I first learned about it as a cancer-fighting agent. It was recommended that the flaxseed oil be combined with cottage cheese or yoghurt, as that enhances the effect somehow (not sure how, though.)

I would make salads with cottage cheese mixed with flax oil, and add some sprouted sunflower seeds and tomatoes. It gave me a feeling of well-being, although at times I felt that it raised my blood-pressure. Seems my heart would beat faster. Then I stopped, and my blood pressure was normal again.

Anyway, there are several books and articles written about this cure: flax + cottage cheese, for fighting cancer and tumors. I believe someone named Budwig was the one who discovered it.

An excerpt:

Doctors had attempted to treat patients with sources of Omega 3 but had not been consistently successful. Dr. Budwig's research found that in order for these fatty acids to be fully available to the body, they must be tied to a sulfur based protein; the best source of which is cottage cheese. Depending on the severity of the condition she had her patients use 3 to 6 Tbsps. of Flaxseed oil a day, with at least 4 oz or 1/2 cup of cottage cheese per day.

Am gonna be getting myself some cottage cheese real soon! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regarding the heart and blood pressure thing, I dont know much about how flax effects blood pressure, but heart - it is suppose to be especially good for. Tho if it effected you, than your choice of action makes complete sense. If and when I get time, I'd like to figure that out, cuz I am now taking a strong dose of flax oil and so far have noticed only the best of effects! Yet want to be knowledgeable to prepare for, or ward off, and complication. Thanks! Will check out the link.

With some thought I realized that I had read articles about mental health (not cancer) which stated in order for flax oil (Omega 3's) to sufficiently work, they worked best on an EMPTY stomach. This therefore makes me wonder if the cottage cheese mixture maybe isn't the best approach in thesse cases. (Tho to add it as a food during the day, specifically as an 'extra' seems would be ok and even helpful.)

Also, calcium blocks the uptake of many things. Don't get me wrong, as I understand we need calcium in our bodies. Simply am wondering, if one is taking omega for headaches, alertness, depression, etc., if maybe the cottage cheese / sulfer idea could be replaced with MSM.

Guest guest

I've been taken fish oil for some time. Is there really much risk of mercury toxins? Are not tests done to ensure they are mercury free or am I taking a risk by taking these supplements?

-Robb

I've been taken fish oil for some time. Is there really much risk of mercury toxins? Are not tests done to ensure they are mercury free or am I taking a risk by taking these supplements?

-Robb

Oh if testing were reliable than the allopathic meds, which are under laws that are much more strict, would not have legal vioxx (etc.) class action law suits. ha Now, regarding produts sold in health food stores, these fit under the category of "food." Therefore they undergo less scrutiny.

I've been reading up on this & mercury toxin are one of the main complaints about fish omega vs flax omega. The fish has mercury in it, the flax does not. Sorry Rob. Anyway, its not hard to switch over, just make sure you maintain the same dose is all. But get that mercury out of your system. That too can cause mental imbalances.

WyattEarp, I dont mean to harp on this. I just need to figure it out for my own health. ......... I looked up flax oil benefits and it even included lowering blood pressure! So your mention of high blood pressure came to mind again, and I now wonder if maybe it wasn't the calcium but the SALT that is in cottage cheese! My mother had bad high blood pressure and she could not eat salt. Wasn't suppose to eat any really. Anyhow, this makes sense to me. Now I wonder if there is such a thing as low sodium cottage cheese. Never saw it - but it could be out there.

One devotee told me that ghee has all the omega stuff we need. Anyone else hear that?

Never heard that one and rather doubt it. I would be careful of the source. Do a google search. I remember this one brahmacai who was carrying around a quarter pound of butter and eating it all day long because "Prabhupada said" dairy would build a strong brain. I hope he quit or he probably had a heart attack or stroke by now.

Srila Prabhupada did tell one devotee, Aniruddha, who was the first? cook in L.A. that twp paddies of butter a day was sufficent for a brahmacari. Not this everything swimming in ghee thing people fall into under some "Prabhupada said" misconception.

I do hope you get that ghee from protected cows. I can't resist. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[qoute]Never heard that one and rather doubt it. I would be careful of the source. Do a google search. I remember this one brahmacai who was carrying around a quarter pound of butter and eating it all day long because "Prabhupada said" dairy would build a strong brain. I hope he quit or he probably had a heart attack or stroke by now.

This one was very funny. Two separate stories that we used to hear.

1) Prabhupada mentioned that Narada Muni had come to a kirtan and was laughing in ecstasy to see the mlecchas chanting and dancing.

2) Prabhupadas was giving a lecture when a "bum" strolled in and walked straight to the bathroom. He brought a roll of toilet paper with him which he installed and then left. Prabhupada remarked "Now his devotional service has begun."

The new re-edited version that was told to me a few years ago:

One time, while Prabhupada was speaking, Narada Muni disquised as a street bum, walked in and installed a roll of toilet paper and then left.

lol /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thankyou for the feedback on this. It's been a few years since I was using flax. I know that when I eat cottage cheese on it's own, without flax, I don't feel any side effects. But I do remember when I mixed the cottage cheese with the flax oil, that I would add salt, black pepper, hing. Also wheat germ, sunflower seeds (soaked overnight), and chopped up tomatoes. I wonder if the tomatoes might have been a rasa-bhasa with the flax oil. Or maybe I was using too many spices. The link I gave above suggested using the cottage cheese/flax treatment with fruit.

Dr. Budwig's treatment has me intrigued. Her group, or a similar group, is claiming a 95% success rate with cancer and tumors. Hard to believe, and I have my doubts. But, you never know. The testimonials in the above link were impressive, if true, and I did not detect any agenda (buy *our* products, etc), other than to use flax oil in our diets.

Also, it is important to use flax oil that has not been setting out at room temperature or past it's expiration date. It may very well be that I had bought some flax oil, then used it off and on, then it expired, and when I used it again, I may have experienced some high blood pressure type of symptoms due to that. Can't say for sure. Or maybe I just used too much. I will have to try the flax again and experiment with it. Oh, one other ingredient I was using: flax seeds, soaked overnight. So, maybe it was an overkill I was doing, flax oil plus flaxseeds. I think I also used some liquid lecithin at times as well, so that might have had something to do with it.

Sorry to ramble on, but in hindsight, I'm pretty sure it must have been something else that raised my blood pressure. I'm sure that flax oil is quite safe.

Anyway, thankyou again for the feedback. Oh, and as far as getting too much calcium from the cottage cheese, that is possible, but I think the formula for the cancer treatment was something like 3 to 6 tbs per half cup of cottage cheese, which isn't a whole lot. Not sure how much calcium is in 4 oz of cottage cheese. They did say you could use yoghurt instead, but you'd have to use 3 times as much as the cottage cheese.

There has to be a natural cure for cancer somewhere. The mainstream medical community (cut/poison/burn) route won't recognize natural cures, but I think they're out there.

Wyatt

WyattEarp - that was interesting. Yes, I have also heard of this particular type of flax seed oil treatment for cancer. Its incredible something as simple as flax can do this. The pharmecutical companies probably don't like it. $$$ loss.

You mention that you "added" salt. Maybe thats what raised your bp. I mean, cottage cheese is all ready pretty salty, than to add salt to that might have finished the job. Just a thought.

The new re-edited version that was told to me a few years ago:

One time, while Prabhupada was speaking, Narada Muni disquised as a street bum, walked in and installed a roll of toilet paper and then left.

OMGosh! LOL What devotees can come up with! LOL