IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

The blues - depression

Rate this topic

I won't be so presumptious as to try and define the cause.Like all disease it ultimately is an effect of our forgetting Krsna from way back when.But imbalance of brain chemistry (neurotransmitters) is one proven cause.

I have experienced depression in varying degrees since adolecence.It can be very debilitating.I just want to share some simple remedies that have helped me alot in getting past this.Hopefully others will add what they have learned as we go along.

First is Calamus Root, Acorus Calamus.Also known as Sweet Flag.The sanskrit name is Vacha.Chinese herbalists would know it as Shi chang pu.

Ayurvedic practioners have made use of these herb for thousands of years.It is a rejuvenator for the brain and nervous sysytem.Yogis considered it a purifier of the subtle nerve channels(nadis).They considered that it helped transmute sexual energy to feed kundalini.

It is a stimulant and also a nervine.So it strengthens and calms the nerves while at the same time arousing them.Nice combination.It enhances awareness.This is different from caffein which just revs up the thinking process for a while and then drops off leaving one tired.One problem I have is called Attention Deficit Disorder( ADD).Easily distracted.I get overwhelmed by ideas and have trouble finnishing things.It is like wanting to do so many things or learn so many things at once that nothing gets accomplished.Calamus Root helps me concentrate on one thing at a time.

I have recommended this herb to many people.Only one tried it.he had a severe coffee addiction but now skips caffein and uses Calamus.He has no side effects like nervousness, headaches, sleeplessness and anxiety that come with caffein addiction.

It also imparts a sense of well being.It is a highly sattvik herb.

Sharpens memory as well.Used as an antidote for ganja smokers.They add a pinch to their bowl and smoke it.

Small doses of the powder will do.Or chew a small piece for quicker effects.I hate the taste so I mask it by placing the powder in orange juice or take in veggie caps.Small doses and increase as needed.

In large amounts it is an emetic(produces vomiting)

Please investigate more on the wonderful herb and then give it a try.

I learned about Calamus first from a great herb book by Vasant Lad and David Frawley called The Yoga Of Herbs.

Hare Krsna

Guest guest

I'll definitely get some next time I'm at the health-food store. I remember you saying a few days ago you would write about this herb, so I had been awaiting this. Sounds like it gives some real benefit, without any bad side-effects. I could use a good nerve tonic, as well as something that sharpens my memory. Sounds sattvik. I'll try it out and let you know the results. (Give me a week or so...)

Mr. Mxyzptlk

I look forward to the feedback.Let us know of any positive benefits as well as anything that you may feel to be adverse.Shouldn't be any but if there is let us hear about that too.

Good luck.

Theist Ji,

I may get a chance to go get some calamus root within the next couple of days. I was wondering if you have a particular brand you might recommend. It appears that there are several varieties of this herb available. On one website, I found this description:

Calamus Root Herb - Acorus calamus Sweet flag loves watery places, and for that reason many have allied this plant with the Moon. But there is nothing Moon-like about this plant. The medicinal root is said to be stimulant and warming, not sedative and cooling. Since the root does grow in water, this plant must have a mighty fire to stimulate and warm under such conditions. It also has a yellow flower and certainly has a masculine form. For all of these reasons, it belongs to the Sun. True, it is not a sunflower, but maybe we need to allow the planetary influences a little more depth. It has been used in North America by native peoples for various purposes, from medicine to snuff. The active part of the plant is the root, which contains asarone. One of the two varieties that grows in North America does not contain beta-asarone, which a single lab study showed that in huge quantities promoted cancer in rats, although it has been used safely as a sedative in Ayurvedic medicine for several thousand years. The Eurasian type contains a very small amount of beta-asarone (5% of the essential oil), and the Indian variety contains a large amount of beta-asarone (75% of the essential oil). My present source is the Euroasian type from Poland, although I will soon have whole Eurasian roots from China. Asarone is said to be stimulating, and beta-asarone sedating. Either in large doses will cause vomiting.

In contrast to this description, another site mentions this herb as being feminine, not masculine; and related to the moon, not the sun.

Since there seems to be several varieties, some that are more stimulant, some that are more sedative, I was wondering if you could recommend a brand. I noticed that you mentioned taking it either in powder form or by chewing the root. Probably powder would be most feasible for me.

I also found this link which gives additional information on the herb. Sounds interesting. On another site, it was mentioned that this herb is excellent for helping one to stop smoking cigarettes. (I mention this because I recall someone, forgot who, asking for suggestions on how to stop smoking.)

Also, if you have any other herbs that you have found to be helpful for your health and well-being, feel free to mention a couple. I only make this trip to the health-food store once in a blue-moon, since it's about an hour's drive from where I live. Maybe I'll get several herbs while I'm there, along with my hing and curry spices.

mxyz (I dropped the Mr.) ptlk

mxyzptlk,

haribol,

No particular brand.I buy in bulk one pound at a time which will last four months.

That is interesting about the different types.I wonder if one or the other is more potent.Those studies were used by the FDA around 1980 to try and ban calamus from the public.They gave very large doses of the oil as you described to some poor rats and found that to be cancerous.We take small amounts.

There are so many good herbs out there.For depressive states nervines work well.Skullcap is a favorite.I like to combine nervines with a general overall stimulant like cayenne.Cayenne promotes a balanced bloodflow as well.Caffein will cause constriction of the vascular system and this can cause headaches.With cayenne you don't get that or the jitters and it takes the active ingredients of any herb you are taking throughout the body increasing their effectivness, while itself being a CNS stimulant so you won't become lethargic from any nervine.

I will post the addresses of the herb co.'s that I buy from.You save a lot of money buying by the pound, and it sounds like you are in a rural area so you can get them UPS.

You have me very curious about the different types of calamus root.I bought one batch that didn't seem nearly as potent.That could be for different reasons. It does seem to be best to buy the cut root and powder it yourself as you go along by using a coffee grinder.Anyway get what is available for now and I'll post those links when I did out the catalogs in a day or so.

Hare Krsna

Guest guest

haribol theist prabhuji.thanks for all that info.I was taking vacha rasayana(ayurveda-herbs.com).I was regular for 20 days and my anxiety really went down and I could sleep better.But my bhava towards Krsna lessened or kind of "blocked."I don't know if vacha caused this.Anyway I have again brought 2 bottles of vacha rasayana.It will help me I know if I continue daily.Do you know that all mental disorder is caused by vata(subtle force which controls the air element) imbalance.

I am sorry to hear that you were too in trouble.I am only 19 so these are the days of mental disturbance.Suffering took me to the lotus feet of the lord so I should thank him.I am so fallen I always complain instead of accepting my situation in life then there will be peace.

Please accept my love and blessings.

joy

joy,

Glad to hear vacha works for you.One thing is that it seems to be a tonic for the whole body.That includes the reproductive system.That may have misdirected you a bit, as at 19 yrs.old you body probably doesn't need help in that area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As for me, my whole life seems to be one of mental imbalance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I struggle on in spite of it.

I have read that about vata disturbances being the cause, but I am not sure what that means in terms of brain chemistry etc.It would be nice if someone who is knowledgable about both systems would add something here.What I have learned comes from phamlets and books written for the layman and my own experience.I have no academic expertise in this area.

Only 19? So wise for a youngling.

Hare Krsna

Guest guest

Also the amino acid, tyrosine, is known to be a mood enhancer. Nothing that makes you feel high at all, it has a more subtle effect that is gradually experienced.

5-Htp is often prescribed for depression by alternative healers. It also doesn't get you high and builds to where you feel good. It elevates serotonin levels and also works good together with tyrosine.

B vitamins can elevate mood. Some more than others. Best to take a B complex. It's a balanced forumula. Also works good with 5-htp and probably tyrosine.

Guest guest

DO YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN PURCHASE THE CALAMUS ROOT PLANT..

MY GRANDMOTHER GREW THIS AND IT WAS THE MEDICINE OF OUR

DAY..I WOULD FEEL BETTER USING THIS...I KNOW HOW TO

PREPARE THE PLANT..PLEASE RESPOND

judyjudyjudyone@AOL.COM

but I think it is more widely called Sweet Flag here in the west. Also I read there are at least two kinds of calamus on the market and one is definetly more medicinaly powerful than the other.

I have noticed that of the two stores I buy it from, one is always much more potent, which leads me to believe they are using the more potent variety consistently.

Guest guest

Just want to say that I have been using calamus for about 6 months now and it has really helped me get past my depression and PTSD that I have been suffering from for 2 years now ever since experiencing a traumatic event in my life. I have spent many hours reading, meditating, in therapy, and talking to friends about my problems and yet nothing seems to have been so helpful as Calamus.

A rare soul that actually has tried it. I have been promoting this root to people for years and as far as I know only two have tried it. guestji above and one other bhakta who had a similar reaction.

Happy to hear it has helped my friend.

How do you take it?

Guest guest

Each morning I take a little more than 1/4 of a teaspoon of the cut root and chew on it. This seems to be the optimal dose for me. When I first started taking it over the summer, I started by taking 1-3 teaspoons per day and then gradually tapered down to about 1/4 of a teaspoon. Sometimes if I feel I need a little more, I will up the dose a bit but for the most part it's been 1/4 teaspoon a day. I have also drastically reduced my caffeine intake and am hoping to eventually get it down to just a cup of green tea in the morning and that's it. By reducing my caffeine intake and adding a small amount of Calamus to my daily regimen, I've felt like a different person with a lot more energy and a lot more control. I am still curious as to the pharmacology of calamus. I've read some conflicting reports but haven't found a clear explanation of exactly how it works.

-Robb

I have wondered the same thing. In the late 70's I remeber the FDA was trying to ban it on the grounds there is some cancer causes agent. Apparently that had given some mouse massive doses of the oil and it developed cancer.

Absurd but I think someone saw it as a possible competitor to some pyschotropic conceoction they had coming to market either for depression or ADD. I'll learned to suspect the worse from that crowd.

Just like Trytophan was banned due to a bad batch from japan ONE TIME. Oddly enough that was followed by the introduction of prozac onto the market to elevate seretonin levels to fight depression.

Tryptophan is a seretoin precurssor and raises it's levels in the body. The thing is you can't patent an amino acid.

I wish I could chew it. That seems to be the best way but even the faint smell upsets my stomach. Others like it.

I hope someone reads your experience with it and gives it a try.

Guest guest

If you don't mind, could you tell me more about your experience with Calamus? How much do you take and for how long have you taken it? As for chewing it ... I have not had any problems although one time I ordered some from a different distributor and threw up almost immediately after ingesting it. The stuff I've been getting from a place in Amsterdam has worked great though ... never had any problems whatsoever.

As for the pharmacology ... I've read how Asarone, a chemical in Calamus, is the precursor to the molecule TMA-2, which is somewhat structurally similiar to mescaline. Anyway, there seems to be some debate on whether Asarone is converted to TMA-2 in the body. Many have called TMA-2 the closest thing to MDMA (ecstasy) and have theorized that its action is similiar to ecstasy but in a less potent manner. In other words, TMA-2 works by boosting serotonin and possibly norepinephrine and dopamine levels.

I sometimes wonder if taking this stuff long term might be a bad idea but I only use a very small amount in the morning as a replacement to my usual morning coffee. I don't get "high" from it or anything ... just a little boost in the morning. I like to think that maybe herbs like Calamus are given to us by nature for a reason and the help it's given me is proof of that.

-Robb

That is interesting on the pharmacology. That's all new to me. I have heard there are two different calamus roots in the matket. I have had both as I could tell the difference by potency. both make me gag just by smelling it. Some hippies try to get high from it as it is said to have halucinogenic properties but they usually end up just throwing up. It is a strong emetic. I find it a stimulant and a nerve tonic. It also dramatically helps me focus and stay on one subject. I have ADD and calamus allows me to forego drugs like cylert ritilin and adderal.

I read in one herb book that it was used by yogis to clear the subtle nerve channels in anticipation of their raising the kundalini. It is called vacha in sanskrit because of its ability to improve one's speaking ability.

I have used it for several years off and on but now I use it daily. I also find it an anti-depressive and maybe that speaks to your point of it raising serotoin levels.

I use very small amounts. I run the root through a coffee grinder and then put in veggie caps and take no more than two in the morning. plus several more through the day. The efrfects seem to build upon each other in that they carry over from day to day. Have you noticed that effect as well?

Guest guest

It's funny how that one batch of Calamus I got from a place in North America made me gag and throw up violently. I thought perhaps I had simply taken too much but when I went to try the stuff again ... just the smell itself made me gag so I decided to never touch the stuff again. On the other hand, the stuff I've been ordering from the Netherlands has a nice smell and taste to it ... very pleasing.

Anyway, it is true that taking high doses can cause hallucinogenic type effects. On a few occasions, I took high doses over the summer while camping and spending time in nature. I didn't hallucinate but I had experiences where I felt deep empathy and appreciation for my surroundings and a deeper affinity for nature. During these experiences at high doses, I also experienced sharpened vision and slight color intensification. This makes it a nice herb to take while going on nature retreats.

It's funny because I was watching a documentary on Nostradamus last night and it was mentioned that he used Calamus root as part of his herbal concoctions when he worked as a healer. The narrator when on to say that Calamus was an antioxidant and immune system builder.

As for it's cumulative effect ... it appears to be the case. I don't seem to ever feel withdrawal from not taking it. I feel like I could stop taking it no problem but I like what it has done for me and plan to continue its use for a while. It seems to have been the perfect herb to aid in my own personal healing. Although I hate labels, you could say that I have suffered from depression, PTSD, and social anxiety. Not to mention the fact that as part of the PTSD I would sometimes go into mild catatonic states where I was unable to have normal conversations with anyone. Since taking Calamus, I wouldn't say it instantly cured me of everything but I felt like it removed this wall what was inside my head and allowed me to really think about my problems with renewed enthusiasm and vigor. Since then I've been able to bury the trauma from my past, get over my social anxiety, and stave off negative thoughts that could drag me down into a depressive state.

Blue on Blue, Heartache on Heartache

Blue on Blue, Now that we r through.

Well, if subtle moves to gross, then Blues must originate within tamoguN's more truthful non-chemical section. Herbs may temporarily aid, though underlying blues' causes remain.

I've been reading your very interesting posts on calmus root and depression. I just posted a bunch of stuff on my Krishnas Distance Healers egroup covering various types of mental imbalance and balance via vits, minerals, and omegas. This has all been scientificly proven and not something airy fairy (for lack of a better word). Flax oil especially, works for depression, some forms of mania, & in many ways actually but one being serotonin! Anyhow I just today put some stuff there. (Have recently discovered someone close to me has or had a mental imbalance.) If you want to check it out, there is a link to my egroup above. And addmittedly, I hope you folks, and others, will join! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Or come and go, but this stuff I just now put up there is fascinating! Incredible to read stories too, of people who healed or significantly improved their depression, bipolar, etc., with these very simple things.

Haribol Pritha,

You know I just bought a bottle of flax. I used to take it daily and just lost track of it somehow but now I have it going again. I know it was important for the brain but never knew it extended to depression. That's always good news as the mode of ignorance is always trying to swallow me up. I check out your site.

Ever hear of Sadhu Sundar Singh? I just did a couple of days ago. Sikh that met Christ. Do a google on his name or Yesu Bhaktan. Not sure yet but looks like it will be an interesting story.

Hare Krsna

Thiest,

This is fascinating stuff! It treats bipolar, Schizophrenia, Depression and so on. I too did not know it was good for all these things. Its more powerful than I realized. Here is a little something I posted (either today or last week) to my distant healers egroup:

"Brain cell integrity must be addressed in medical practice to avoid regression of brain tissue. This is important because damaged brain cells cannot be repaired. (ME: Not true!) Essential fatty acid studies (described herein) have yielded supportive evidence for their role in keeping neuron degeneration at bay and reducing psychotic symptoms."

---

"EFA’s, including omega-3 and omega-6, are good fats, not saturated with hydrogen, and unfortunately, not readily provided in the American diet. 60 % of the dry weight of the brain is fat (Horrobin, 2000). William Walsh reports an integral need for appropriate EFA supplementation in schizophrenia, ADHD, and depression (Walsh, PTC- Ref.B). EFA’s are important components of nerve cell walls and are involved in neurotransmitter electrical activity and post-receptor phospholipid mediated signal transduction. Neuronal degeneration is found commonly among people with chronic schizophrenia as they have apparent increased phospholipid neuron membrane breakdown which concentrates in the frontal cortex and other areas of the brain (Gattaz et al, 1995). EFA’s offer a means of maintaining brain membrane structure and avoiding brain mass loss (Horrobin, 2000).Some specific EFA supplements are useful in schizophrenia and help to keep neuron degeneration at bay."

---

"The latest psychiatry journals have finally published info about EFAs (essential fatty acids) and how patients taking those have relieved their symptoms of depression and Bipolar Disorder, and many of these patients have stopped using meds completely. So are these people still Bipolar?"

[NOTE: I am not promoting going off meds at all! Simply those who have done it, have done it WITH the help of their doctors, as its tricky. Also pointing out that omega 3 is scientific too. Powerful stuff. Am claiming all disclaimers here.]

Ever hear of Sadhu Sundar Singh?

No, I haven't. Sounds interesting! Maybe when I have the time, I'll do a google search. Kinda can't now, but anything you find, feel free to let me know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

Just a note to add to the discussion ... I've also read how omega-3 fatty acids are good at eliminating and preventing headaches. Less headaches = better overall mental well being.

I've been taking Omega 3 supplements for about a year. Should I consider adding flax oil to my diet or does it pretty much do the same thing as Omega 3 supplements?

Just a note to add to the discussion ... I've also read how omega-3 fatty acids are good at eliminating and preventing headaches. Less headaches = better overall mental well being.

WOW! The more I learn about this stuff, the more I like it! I have migraines, and they are not the normal type. Long story short, what works for most doesn't usually work for mine. Today after reading your post, I uped my dose of flax oil and maybe its coincidence as its relativly soon, but my daily eye pain/migraine is hardly present! A little, but barely! Tomorrow I plan on increasing by one G and will see what happens. Thanks!

I've been taking Omega 3 supplements for about a year. Should I consider adding flax oil to my diet or does it pretty much do the same thing as Omega 3 supplements?

When you said omega 3, I assumed you meant flax. Tho you make a good point, as some omega 3 is fish, and some is from flax. Its important for devotees to become label readers to make sure they are getting the vegetarian flax version.

Regarding adding flax oil to your diet, I'm no doctor but see no harm in that. If anything, its beneficial.

Its good in general to take an occasional break from the flax as it is an oil which therefore is not water soluble but is fat soluble - meaning the liver needs a little rest from time to time. (This would apply to the fish oil too tho, which adds the complicaiton of mercury toxins, what to speak of karma.)

We use to add flax oil to our salad dressing. It was a way to get it down. Tho some don't mind the taste of it. Funny, cuz it actually tastes like fish oil even tho its flax! But we found mixing it with another oil, say olive, for salad dressing, made it more tolerable. My husband kinda liked it (the mixture) if I recall. But that was a long time ago, so I have forgotten the details.

I did read you can get some omega 3 from cooking / baking with flax meal and flours. Altho its important to find out how much because that can have a laxative effect and to the oil doesn't. Also, unlike the flour, etc., the oil can never be heated. That would destroy its medicinal properties.