IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
debbie

Losing weight and Eating Healthy

Rate this topic

I have since September 16th, only,started trying to live my life, as vegetarian. The decision to do this came in part, from talking to a few of my friends, that already live this lifestyle as their normal everyday life. In hearing what they had to say, about the the how animals were killed, and eaten, for someone else's pleasure, it really made me start looking at things differently.I had not really thought in this manner before, because here, most people have been raised eating meat, as a part of their everyday lives. Maybe I was just blind to the facts and feelings of what happens when some living being, no matter what it is, gets killed and slaughtered for human consumption.I get many negative comments from the people around me,because they feel not eating meat, is not healthy, for me..I tend to disagree, because I feel, I can get the protein, I require from a variety of different foods,besides meats, that my body requires..Besides,I have not ask them to join me in this.. It is my own personal decision..Which brings me to my point or my question..I know we may not have all the same vegetables here that you have there,or vice versus, but could someone tell me, what vegetables, fruit or milk products,provide the best amount of protein,for a woman, that our body needs..I have in the last two years, been trying to lose, a great deal of weight, not only for my health, but a better feeling about myself, as well.I had weighed 222 lbs and had lost 22 pounds in the first year, but my successes stop there..It seemed after then, I would gain and lose the same two or three pounds, continously..I had been going to a gym and was working out an hour to an hour an a half, at least five days a week.I had gotten so frustrated and had stopped..I then gained to 208.. Since September 16th, and going vegetarian, I have now lost 16 lbs so far,and I hope this will continue.I am 46 years old, woman, only five feet two and a half inches tall, and feel I need to lose at least another 70 lbs. Right now, I am debating if I should go back to the gym, doing weights,and cardiovasular exercises, because when I do, it seems, my weight increases, because of muscle, I guess, and that discourages me greatly..Do any of you have any suggestions to my diet and physical activity schedule, and what I can do to continue in my efforts.Right now,I am able to keep my blood pressure normal with proper diet and exercise.My cholesterol hopefully change with this change in my eating habits.. Maybe this is not the question to be asked in here, but it seems, all areas are open for discussion here..It seems the people here, for the most part are very knowledgable. Thanks in advance for any help, I might recieve. Debbie

Guest guest

Hare Krsna Debbie,

Congratulations on becoming a vegetarian. I wouldn't worry about the protein issue too much. Protein is over-rated in my opinion. Protein is abundant in grains and beans. Even veggies contain protein. The body needs only so much. It used to be said that we needed 40 grams per day. Then the "experts" modified their recommendations for protein down to 30 mg per day. However, I've read in several places that we can get by on only 5 or 10 mg per day. The body can only assimilate so much. I think that the "protein" argument is more often than not a defense mechanism which kicks in when a flesh-eater encounters a vegetarian. Even if you're not trying to convert them, they still somehow feel threatened, and feel they must defend their chosen eating habits. Deep down they know they are killing and causing suffering to sentient beings. But, a non-devotee friend I once knew confided in me several times that even though he conceded I was right, he could not, and would not, stop eating meat, simply because of the fact that this was the way he was raised, and that his family and friends (except for me) all ate meat, and it was the norm, whether or not it was right or wrong.

Rice, dhal, chapattis, yoghurt (organic), sprouts, chickpeas (garbanzo beans), whole grain breads, oatmeal, potatoes... all these things will give your body the protein you need. And don't fall for the argument that you need a food that is a "complete protein", such as beef. If you eat a variety of the aforementioned foods, along with veggies, you will get all the amino acids you need for a complete protein. Almonds and sunflower seeds soaked overnight (to release the enzymes) are also high in protein. The chickpeas I mentioned are so high in protein that Srila Prabhupada recommended not eating more than 10 or so per day. So you see, protein is not limited to meat. Nor is it limited to milk and its by-products, in case you would like to avoid that, in addition to meat, although I kind of like the idea of organic yoghurt, not so much because it is a complete protein, but because it has so many other health benefits, and because it makes for a tasty dressing in fruit-salads and veggie salads, it encourages one to eat better; to eat fresh fruits and vegetables when we might otherwise drift towards something less nutritious. I say "organic" in relation to yoghurt, because, as has been mentioned in another thread, non-organic commercial milk products seem to have a direct connection with the slaughterhouse industry. If nothing else, the milk-giving cows are treated with cruelty, basically tortured, and with all the chemicals being pumped into their veins, there's a lot of pus and yucky stuff that gets blended in with the milk.

As for exercise, I'm no expert on this, having had weight problems of my own at times. Personally, I think walking is the best exercise---brisk walks for 30 to 40 minutes per day, especially outdoors, if it's feasible, (and safe.) Walking will increase the metabolism, which as you probably know, slows down quite a bit when we hit our 40's. If anything, I'd be a bit concerned about weight-lifting if you have an existing weight problem, as it could put a heavy strain on the heart. I'd rather get down near my ideal weight before I was going to engage in any serious muscle-building exercises. However, I think calisthenics and pushups and the like are great. Also, yoga and stretching exercises are a nice compliment to the walking.

I recently happened across a Hindu man at a barber shop while I was getting a haircut. We started talking a little about food and diet, and he said that the best thing for losing weight was to put a couple of tablespoons of honey into about 6 ounces of water, mix it up, and drink it first thing in the morning. I had never heard of that before, but I have heard of water therapy for curing all kinds of ailments and health conditions, and I suspect that this honey-water-in-the-morning was related to that.

I think if you're trying to lose another 70 lbs, you're on the right track, as it appears you've already lost 16 lbs in a rather short period of time. If you're a vegetarian, and if you can avoid the deep-fried foods and the sour-cream/cream-cheese-in-every-subji route, and avoid the ice cream, you're going to lose weight. Walking will strengthen the circulatory system and the stretching exercises will limber and tone the muscles.

It is inspiring to see someone in their mid-40's make a major (and positive) life change such as you are doing. Usually we become set in our ways by the time we reach that age. So again, congratulations, and keep up the progress. Don't let anyone discourage you on your choice of foods, what to speak of your spiritual quest which you have recently embarked upon.

Best wishes to you,

Mr. Mxyzptlk

Mr.Mxyzptlk,

Thanks for your most detailed response..I am glad to know, by my choice to become vegetarian,it does not take away from the required things I need for my body to be healthy. In my mind, I have felt that eating vegetables, and not eating meats is alot more healthier, but as far as true facts, I had not been for sure.I will take all these foods into consideration, when making my food choices.I am sure when I go the doctor shortly my test results should be much better than before,I had become vegetarian.I know at 46, taking on something like this, might seem, to be something that is really kind of crazy to some people, but actually I am glad that I have,and have had the support, from some of my friends on the net, even if most do not support me on the home front.But I really am doing this as a personal preference.I was told by one of my close net friends, that I really trust, that it might help me,not only in my health, but my spiritual quest, as well. I do not usually have problems with exercising or weight lifting,as far as how I feel,but the muscle weight gain, confuses me,and I really do not know if I am losing fat, or gaining muscle, because when doing all this exercise at the gym, the scales would seem, after a while, to just go up or down a few pounds. I felt like I was on a roller coaster going up and down, continously. I will try, for now, to do more walking, and maybe, until I get down to my goal weight, discontinue the other activities..

Once again, I would like to thank you, for your comments.It seems at this site, people here, are more than willing, to speak out, and give me good advice..For this I am truely thankful. Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Some people find it difficult to transition to a vegetarian diet. My understanding is that at first the body isn't used to extracting vegetable protein, since meat protein was so available that the body just becomes used to not working. So the transition period might be a bit difficult. I think there are various protein supplements you can get. Also, I would suggest using a Multi-vitamin supplement.

Guest guest

Hi Debbie,

That was nice to hear that you found some of my suggestions helpful. As far as the weight-lifting/muscle-building exercises, I hope I didn't come across in such a way that I was discouraging you from engaging in this. It sounds as though your body can handle the stress of gym workouts, even if you do have 70 lbs of excess body fat. Walking is great. But it may not be practical or even desirable for everyone, in which case exercising in the gym would seem to be quite beneficial. As you know, muscle is heavier than fat. So, in your situation, I can see how it would be possible to lose body fat, yet gain weight. The scales may deceive you at times, at least in the short run. That's why whenever I've gone on a diet, I only like to weigh in once a week, so that I don't become discouraged upon seeing fluctuations, which may also be caused by water weight, especially in my case.

Yes, you can most certainly survive, and be quite fit, living on a vegetarian diet. I have vegetarian friends who are weight-lifters, and I know some who are martial-art experts. And protein has never been an issue for them. As Gauracandra mentioned, sometimes the transition period can be a little tough, especially if a person had been a heavy meat-eater for many years, although that may or may not apply in your case. I'm not a big believer in vitamin supplements, as I feel you can get the nutrition you need with a healthy diet and that the vitamins found naturally in your food are far more potent than something you would find in a tablet. If anything, those who live by consuming flesh are probably the ones who are in dire need of vitamins and supplements. However, during this transition period, (however long that may be...a few months or so?) it may very well be that it is beneficial to take some supplements. This transition period is important, not only for your body to become accustomed to a new diet, but for you to acquire the knowledge you will need for learning how and what to purchase when grocery shopping, as well as how to cook vegetarian foods. Of course, being in your 40's, you may very well already know these things, in which case your transition period may not last so long. And as far as getting the protein you need, if you require a lot at this time, you don't necessarily have to eat raw veggie salads at every meal. Surely your body is already accustomed to eating grains, which are of course rich in protein. You can eat lots of grains, such as whole grain rice, breads made with whole wheat flour, oatmeal, along with beans, especially garbanzo. Also, if you are able to obtain a cookbook or two, especially one by Yamuna devi dasi, then you can learn how to make dhal (bean-based soups), especially urad dhal, which is quite rich in protein, and you can learn just how much variety there is in a vegetarian way of life. Many, if not most carnivores are under the misconception that vegetarians are weak, skinny beings who are deprived and eat nothing but sprouts and trailmix. Of course, vegetarians do indeed come in all shapes and sizes, the same as carnivores. But the stereotypical myth of a vegetarian as a skinny, deprived sprout-head is just that---a myth.

I hope you'll find some encouragement here. You can also find some good books to read at your health-food store, and perhaps even on the Internet.

Mr. Mxyzptlk

Guest guest

And where on earth are you reading this? Are you sure it was not saying 5 to 10 GRAMS. There is being big difference between gram and mg (milligram). A gram is containing 1000 mgs. So where are you reading we only needing 10 mg protein?

Maybe you are needing 10mg carrots?

Guest guest

My mistake, I meant grams, not milligrams. I have a strange feeling that you already knew that, however, being that I was speaking in terms of mg's from start to finish, as I never recommended reducing the protein intake from grams to milligrams.

Mr. Mxyzptlk

Debbie,

I'm very impressed that you became a vegetarian in your '40s. That's a big change.

As far as losing weight goes, I will echo what you've gotten so far regarding eating lots of vegetables and fruits, as well as whole grains and beans. Also, drink plenty of water and try to minimize other beverages, which may be loaded with empty carbohydrates. I would advise a little more protein than some might. A little dairy is good, but be careful of the fat content. The right balance of protein with carbs can help regulate blood sugar levels and help shed body fat.

And walk! I think this is the best exercise because it's the safest. I like a brisk (fast enough that I need a shower afterward) 35-45-minute walk in the morning. That and some stretching make me feel well enough all day, even if I don't get any other exercise (I'm a long-time runner and surfer whose job and spiritual pracice rarely leave enough time for either these days). Swimming is good, too, ifyou have the facility. And weight work can help build muscle tissue, which helps burn fat when we keep our metabolism running high.

stonehearted,

I would like to thank you and all of the rest of you who replied to my posts. At forty-six, I thought I would have real problems switching to vegetarian, but I have not. The advantages I have found so far is I no longer crave alot of foods that sometimes I did before.It was like meat set off a chain reaction for me to eat other foods..This sounds crazy I know, but it has really helped me to stop a on going cycle of continous eating. I think I will again start walking, but I think I need to try harder to walk faster, so as to maybe to increase the calories burned and make it a much better work-out.I have so much more to lose, but I know I have to be patient, in the weight-loss results..Too fast, and it will probably come right back, as quickly as I lose it..Slowly, hopefully I will be able to maintain, once I get to my goal weight of 115-125 pounds.I am so tired of being overweight, that is for sure.I know I have got a long journey,in my weight-loss, as well as my spiritual journey..I appreciate all the help that everyone has given me so far on any of my questions..I am sure I will need a lot more help as time goes on..I have another question..How do I know, that meat or meat products are not in other foods??Any answers?? Debbie

I have another question..How do I know, that meat or meat products are not in other foods??

I think Theist can give you some good advice on this. The first thing is you will have to get used to reading the ingredients of the food you buy. Sometimes they sneak in nonvegetarian ingredients under complex names, or sometimes they use the generic "natural flavours". With a little practice you will know what is actually vegetarian and what is not.

jndas,

I appreciate your reply..You have told me Theist can give me some good advice on my question. Is there anyway I can contact him without putting my email address in the post? I am sure, that the posters that have replied to me, would probably be ok, but I am unsure about some of the others.I know there are many hidden non-vegetarian ingredients, in foods that come in cans, in restaurants, etc...some with complex names that I, myself do not know..It would be nice, if he could email the information to me,or at least tell me where I might find the information I require..If I am going to be vegetarian, I want to do it right. I know the best way to be sure is to eat all natural foods in their purest form, but with todays fast paced life, I know sometimes, it is not possible..Theist,Please Help Me!!! Debbie

Guest guest

there is a little orange fruit in the tamarind family

that comes from asia.

it has been shown to block the transformation of carbohydrates into sugers in your body.

It's called garcina cam-somethin or another

Also citrimax and other names.

It is recently widely advertised as an effective carbo-blocker, and a friend of mine takes it and swears by it.

Guest guest

Debbie---just some basic tips, and hopefully Theist and others can add to the list.

As Jndas has mentioned, label-reading is vital. So what are some of the things you'll be looking for? The first thing I look at is the type of oil or fat which is used. Many processed foods will list non-vegetarian items such as lard, animal-fat, and beef-fat. Many tomato sauces use animal fat, so be sure to check the label carefully. I've heard that Pizza Hut uses beef-flavored tomato sauce. Probably most restaurant pizzas use animal fat in their tomato sauce. Most fast-food joints use beef-flavor in their french fries, even though they may fry them in vegetable oil, and even though they don't mention beef-fat in their ingredients, but "natural flavors." If a label lists "natural flavors", a red flag should go up. If you purchase snacks such as cookies or crackers, be careful, as many still use some form of animal fat. Many still use eggs, as well. If you're purchasing cheese, yoghurt, or sour cream, look out for the type of gelling agent used. Especially in hard cheeses, rennet is often used. If it simply says "enzymes", chances are that it is animal-based. Make sure it says something more specific, such as "vegetable enzymes" or "pectin". Also, many foods contain other types of animal-based ingredients. I believe that mono-dyglycerides are animal based, at least that is what I've heard. Also, if you are dining at a restaurant, be careful about the salad dressing you use. Most of them will contain eggs. Usually, French dressing is the only safe one, apart from oil and vinegar. Also, be wary of Mexican foods, especially in restaurants. The refried beans they use in tacos and burritos contain animal fat. And most of their rice dishes contain chicken-flavors or other animal flavors. Rarely trust any rice (or bean) dishes served in a restaurant, unless of course it is a vegetarian restaurant. If you work in an office environment, sometimes co-workers may share cookies or birthday cakes with each other. It is almost guaranteed that they contain eggs. And many people still use lard for baking. You can always ask people about the ingredients, although myself, I prefer to make some excuse as to why I can't eat the cake (or cookies.) Just tell them you're on a strict diet. You can also tell them that if you eat one (serving), you'll wind up eating more. Usually people will understand and not be offended if you give them an excuse that they can relate to. You can always tell them "Doctor's orders", that you must avoid certain foods, due to cholesterol or blood pressure concerns.

These are the main things I look out for. I'm sure there are other items which can be mentioned. I rarely eat at restaurants anymore, and I prefer to eat my own cooking these days, or preparations made by devotees of Krishna. That may not be practical on an everyday basis in your situation, thus it is very good that you are inquiring about these things. Hope this helps out some...

Mr. Mxyzptlk

Mr. Mxyzptlk has already giving alot of the ones that you are most likely to run into on a day to day basis,as far as avoiding hidden animal products goes.

Here is a site that you may finding interesting. http://www.moreinfo.com.au/avs/shopping.html

One thing on this site that has me disturbed is that insects are used as a shellac for covering some fruits and veggies.YUCK!! I never knew thatand now I'm thinking about those apples in my gut.Were they shellaced in bugs?I'm going to try to find out more info on this.I'll post anything I find.

One thing I wanted to say is have fun with the change. Don't make it too much of a chore. Discovering new tastes and foods that bring you pleasure versus just eliminating meat will make the change over that much easier.

It is such a positive step. One that shows compassion to other creatures which is an important adjunct to spiritual practice. I'm sure the animals would agree with that also.

Thanks for joining our little group here.We are all trying to grow into a healthier life and to gain spiritual understanding and it is always good to met people with similar aspirations.

Hare Krsna,

theist

this site has info on how that shellac is obtained from insects. Mostly from India and Thailand. I still don't know which kind of foods they glaze with it.

Also they have a good glossary that explains what animal products are added to our food.

http://www.vegansociety.com/index.html

On the home page click on information link and scroll down.

Guest guest

Theist Ji, many thanks for the links, especially the one on Additives.

I didn't know that the wax is derived from insects. I guess that means no cucumbers as well, as they are waxed quite heavily. All in all, when you really research this stuff, it makes a strong case for going totally organic. Or at least in washing our veggies very carefully, perhaps using natural disinfectants such as apple cider vinegar, as someone recommended a while back.

It also makes a compelling case for offering one's food. I have heard it said that Srila Prabhupada once said "We are not fanatics" in regards to food, and he did use supermarket produce as well as commercial milk for preparing offerings to Krishna. Ultimately everything is contaminated with sin to some degree or other. Even with organic produce, chances are, during the process of gardening and harvesting, many insects, worms, and other small living entities had to die for each fruit and veggie that we buy.

I wanted to mention that I appreciated what you suggested to Debbie, that shopping and cooking and going vegetarian should not be a chore, but it should be enjoyable. And I must admit that I've eaten lots of commercially-prepared pizzas over the years. I don't think it was until recently that I learned that there was beef-fat in some of the pizza sauces that are used. Even though I've considered myself a long-time "vegetarian", I now have to reflect upon some of the foods that I've eaten, including commercial cheese with its animal-derived enzymes and/or gelatin. I feel like a hypocrite in many ways, offering suggestions to Debbie as I have. But if it's any consolation, I'm still finding things out as I go along. And I'm thankful to the devotees for sharing their knowledge. And thankyou Debbie for asking these questions, for the answers you'll receive are not only beneficial to you, but to "old-school" vegetarians like myself, who, it appears, still have much to learn.

Mr. Mxyzptlk

Theist,

Thanks so much to you,Mr Mxyzptlk, and any of the other posters here who have answered my reply.I will surely check out these sites for more information..The thought of insects as a shellac for covering some fruits and vegetables is digusting, to say the least.

Theist,I just wanted to say I am having fun with my change to being a vegetarian. I am most eager now to try and enjoy most vegetables now. Some of these I had never tried in my life.If I like them, I will buy them again, if not, I will not bother purchasing them again..It has really been and still continuing to be a good experience to me. I have not craved meat, as I thought I would.And this has helped me in other ways in my food plan, as well.I no longer crave for sweets or just eat just to be doing something. I hope this new change continues throughout my life, not just my vegetarian life-style, but the search for a better spiritual understanding as well..I feel this is something I have needed in my life for a long time now.I am glad I had some how found this group.It is and I am sure it will continue to be inspirational, as well as proper guidance into some things I have yet to learn.I appreciate all of your help. Debbie

Guest guest

I mistated the facts about the carbo blocker.

i should have said

When you eat carbo's your body turns them into

sugar, your body then uses that sugar as fuel,

whatever isn't needed at the moment is

turned into fat and then stored.

this is the main cause of being overweight,

consumption of to many carbo's(starches and sugars).

the carbo blocker stops the transformation of the extra carbo from sugar into fat.

theist,

Normally I usually eat the peelings of some vegetables, because for one I like it, and the other, I had heard it contains vitamins. But since your post, I think I will be changing..If we don't know what we are eating, for sure, would it be best just to peel it, or avoid it all together, unless you know where it comes from..I live in North Carolina, and when not in season, some of our fruits and vegetables come from California, and various places.Are these safe from the insect glaze? To think I might had been eating insects is a disgusting thought. Debbie

debbie,

I going to start peeling my apples for one.Cucumbers I already do but I used to run them through the juicer whole.No more though.I wonder about green peppers which I realy like.I'll keep foraging around the net until I find something.

In the Lord's spiritual kingdom these issues don't arise.Someday we will realize that we are spirit in nature and not take birth again within these material bodies,then we can go to live there.But until then we do what we can.

Guest guest

Now that I think of it, a lot of the supermarket tomatoes have a waxy feel to them, although not nearly as bad as the cukes. Probably the wax would rinse off if washed under piping hot water. Perhaps better to peel them, although they aren't quite as easy to peel as apples and cukes. I don't have any green peppers on hand at the moment, but the last time I did, I seem to recall that there was a light shellac covering, making it difficult to wash under cold water. But again, using hot water might 'melt' it off. Don't know about the apple situation. Probably the produce manager at your supermarket would know which items are waxed and which aren't. I vaguely recall the produce manager at my local WalMart grocery once saying that they wax the cucumbers before stocking them. Wish there were some farmer's markets nearby so I could get some non-insect-glazed produce.

Mr. Mxyzptlk

Theist,

I agree, unless I know that my vegetables don't have that stuff on them, I will start to peel them. In your findings, check and see if they do this in the U.S.,also to fruits and vegetables..Please keep us posted on anything you find out. Thanks!

I have another question, if you don't mind answering.

Are there any fruits or vegetables that are not to be eaten?Are all acceptable or is there some that are not..I have heard that garlic and onions should not be eaten.Please advise.. Debbie

Mxyzptlk,

Like you, I have noticed the waxy feel on tomatoes, as well as some other items in the fruit and vegetable line..I had never in all my years thought of the possibility it might be bug glaze..Theist had really open my eyes when he reported that in the post. I have just gotten apples from the mountains, and they do not seem to have anything on them, but from now on, I am going to pay particular attention to what I put in my mouth, especially when I purchase it at the supermarket, that is for sure.. Debbie

Are all acceptable or is there some that are not..I have heard that garlic and onions should not be eaten.Please advise.

Some foods such as onions and garlic have a negative effect on one's mind, and thus the scriptures advise one to avoid them. It isn't sinful to eat them, not like eating meat or something, but for those following spiritual paths it is considered better to avoid them.

According to the Bhagavad Gita all food falls into three categories (according to the three modes of goodness, passion and ignorance). One should eat foods in the mode of goodness (sattva), for they will increase one's duration of life, keep one healthy, and keep one's mind pure. Foods in the mode of ignorance should be avoided, as they decrease one's life span, cause disease, and disturb one's mind and senses.

For this reason onion and garlic are avoided. This is not that important, certainly not as important as avoiding meat. Eating meat is sinful, for it causes pain and suffering to other animals. Eating onion and garlic is just not beneficial to one's health and state of mind.