IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pritesh01

GARUDA PURAAN

Rate this topic

I too heard that it shudn't be read on other occasions except during rites after person's death. One of my relative who listened to it told me that it all deals with how a soul passes thru different areas till it reaches the final destination, either hell or heaven or some higher planet. Some areas are highly formidable and some are vvery painful it seems. It also tells how those places appear and how the soul experiences them.

perhaps jndas prabhu might give some more insight into this.

-Prasad.

The Garuda Purana should be read on such occassions, not that it should not be read at other times as well.

Anything that makes us conscious of the existence of the soul should be studied. The Puranas are not meant only for certain times. They should be daily read. It is very popular to recite the Bhagavatam in seven days, and the rest of the time the book is ignored. Why the Bhagavatam was spoken in seven days? Because Parikshit only had seven days to live. We have a full life, so for us the Bhagavatam should be recited every day for years, not just for seven days (nityam bhagavata sevaya - "Perform daily service to the Bhagavatam through study."

Likewise, the Garuda Purana provides us with valuable information on the soul, and it will bring one to understand the true nature of life and death. That understanding of the soul is very important, for it gives one the strength to pursue the spiritual path.