IndiaDivine.org

Of Works Done In Charity

Rate this topic

Gauracandra

I was reading through my current favorite book "The Imitation of Christ" and really enjoy this one. Actually, the book structured into small segments on various topics. Literally you can randomly turn to any page and get inspiration. It really is hands down one of the best books I've come across. The only other book before this (in recent years) that has really inspired me is "The Embankment of Separation" by Srila Gour Govinda Swami. But definitely, if you get a chance, pick up "The Imitation of Christ". It is well worth it.

Not for anything in the world or for the love of any created thing is evil to be done. But sometimes, for the need and comfort of our neighbor, a good deed may be deferred or turned into another good deed. Thereby the good deed is not destroyed, but is changed into better.

The outward deed without charity is little to be praised, but whatever is done from charity, even if it be ever so little and worthless in the sight of the world, is very profitable before God, who judges all things according to the intent of the doer, not according to the greatness or worthiness of the deed. He does much who loves God much, and he does much who does his deed well, and he does his deed well who does it rather for the common good than for his own will. A deed sometimes seems to be done in charity and from a love of God, when it is really done out of wordly and fleshly love, rather than out of a love of charity. Commonly, some worldly inclination toward our friends, some inordinate love of ourselves, or some hope of a temporal reward or desire of some other gain moves us to do the deed, and not the pure love of charity.

Charity does not seek itself in what it does, but it desires to do what will honor and praise God. Charity envies no man, for it loves no personal love. Charity will not joy in itself, but desires above all things to be blessed in God. Charity knows well that no goodness begins originally from man, and therefore charity refers all goodness to God, from who all things proceed, and in whom all the blessed saints rest in everlasting fruition. Oh, he who has a little spark of this perfect charity should feel in his soul wich certain truth that all earthly things are full of vanity.

If people in this forum are asked which of the stories of Krsna they like the most, we will get various answers. Everybody will have some proper reason for his/her answer. I personally like the story where Krsna helps Sudama. The reason I like this story the most is that there are many things done by Krsna that can not be emulated by everyone (e.g. lifiting up of Govardhana, killing so many demons etc.). But many things can be learnt from His help of Sudama and we can really implement what we learn from this story.

Many people help others. But how many times they help because they really care for the person they are helping. Please don't get me wrong. I am not trying the say that they never care. But I am trying to say that the motive is not always that. Often times it is found that a person is really in need and somebody close to him knows this and he is capable of helping. But he waits till the person in need asks for help clealry. If I know that somebody is in need and even though I am capable of helping him, I am waiting for him to ask for help in clear terms, then this does not show my helping attitude, rather this shows my ego.

Also, how many time do people help others in such a way that the person being helped does not feel insulted? Often times one person helps others in front of many people in such a way that the latter will definitely think very low of himself.

How many times do people continue to give respect to those they have helped? It is found that they think very low of those they have helped.

Compare all these with the way Krsna helps Sudama. When Sudama comes to Krsna, he was wearing torn clothes and his body was emaciated. But Krsna does not look down upon him. Rather he is genuinely happy. He shows very great respect to Sudama. He does not pretend to be happy to see his childhood friend. He is genuinely happy. When He sees the beaten rice that Sudama had brought as a gift, He does not laugh at Sudama. Rather He relishes the rice. Here He proves that the sentiments of the person who has brought a gift is far more important than the price of the gift. Sudama does not ask for help in clear terms. But Krsna does not think, "He is not asking for help clearly. So, why should I help him? I don't care." Rather He helps him and that too without telling this to Sudama. Not only Krsna's but Sudama's character is also great here. When he comes out of the palace of Krsna, at that time he is not aware that Krsna has decided to help him. He is under impression that Krsna would not give him wealth. He does not think, "Oh, what a egocentric person He is! He has become so proud after becoming rich that He does not care for His childhood friend. He is no longer my friend. I don't want to talk to Him. I don't even want to see His face."

Rather he concludes that it was for his own benefit that Krsna did not give him wealth.