atma

LA Ratha Yatra

Rate this topic

For info go to: festivalofchariots .com

So many devotees are arriving and everybody

is in a good mood. Tomorrow is gurukuli day

the kids are leading all the programs.

Lord Jagannath Ratha Yatra Ki Jaya!!!

The procession and the carts were beautiful. The attendance of Western devotees seemed to be noticably down from previous years, as much as 30%. What was also notable was the lessening of members of the Hindu community as well as public attendence and interest You used to not be able to find a spot on the green but yesterday you could have played golf on the site. This was the first Rathayatra since the site was re-landscaped by the city but I don't think that had anything to do with it however since its actually a lot nicer. The lack of a central stage set up to draw the public into the festival area was probably a contributing factor in the low public draw. Lord Jaganathas cart was set up beyond the edge of the area on the east side with the public thouroughfair in between it and the dancers stage and the festival area.

One thing noticably missing were accessble latrines, the six Johny's located right next to the Free Feast were locked and the public latrines had long lines, parking is also very inconveniant if you can get it.

Book distribution didn't go very well at the tables. I ran into a disciple of Tripurari actually doing Sankirtana but he was the only person who I saw that was bothering to approach the public. After I prmpted him he offered me Tripurari's Bhagavad Gita. I never go 'dressed up' but as a 'karmi" and thus my recount of his masters being a 'kick-butt' book distributor from the 'good ol days' surprised and enthused him. If you wanted the attention of an ISKCON devotee and you were a member of the public you had to go up to them and ask what it was all about and then prompt them for they were pretty much into having fun and into touching bases with friends. You certainly can't blame them for that but there should be some sankirtana devotees. There were a lot of good looking women but I had to explain to a young devotee woman who kept looking at me and who was then unable to answer my question what the yellowish marking on her forhead was.

For me it was wonderful day and I had a great time.

I'm still so tired. We made many garlands the previous days for the decoration of the chariots and very early Sunday morning we went to put everything up. So many marigold and carnations garlands, ribbons, lanterns, ballons, candy garlands,leaves, greenery,flags with donors's names, etc, one really amused me, it said: "from the past, present and future devotees of Iskcon". I guess I'm included there.

It was a really nice procession and their Lorships were so beautiful giving mercy to everybody. The best kirtan of course, was with the young generation, what a potency those kids have. Later on stage they had another powerful kirtana and went to the beach for harinam. The ekadasi prasadam was really good and most of the devotees behaved, the pizza line was short and in general everything was nice and sweet.

The only thing that freaked me out a little bit was when a visitor was almost crushed by one of the wheels of lady Subhadra's cart. He got it heavily on his back and moved just in time, didn't make a fuzz about it.

I saw many of my friends and didn't stop talking. For my kids it meant so much, they told me afterwards that they want to be devotees all their lives because chanting and dancing is so nice. That's what they'd been doing last week, chanting and dancing, having so many bhajans and kirtans and the boys give the girls opportunities to lead and play instruments and the girls appreciate that. The girls said that after all this association they realize how boring the karmi world is. I hope they continue in that spirit.

I really appreciate all the effort of the devotees to make this a successful festival for the pleasure of the Lord and we're on a roll to see Lord Jagannatha in San Francisco and continue the chanting and dancing and having prasadam in association of everybody.

Haribol.

Atma, I just wanted to say thanks to you and all of the devotees for all the hard labor and work you put into this program. A few weeks back we heard from Ghari at Toronto Rathayatra, and now your report. So much hard work you and others put in, and I know its sometimes a thankless job, always people wanting to nitpick. But from your description it sounds absolutely wonderful. Thanks again.

I hardly did anything but so many devotees worked so hard for weeks in advance to have everything ready and during the festival you saw devotees that because of their busy lives hardly come to the temple working for hours at the booths trying to please everybody. It was really inspiring.

One of my friends told me how important was for her to have a parking space at the temple during the 2 days that she was making all the decorations. She didn't have to worry about moving the car every 2 hours because of the parking guy could give her a ticket. A devotee sacrificed his parking space for her and little things like that make a lots of difference for the devotional service of others.

I'm not doing justice with my description of the festival, I'm not good with words but I do appreciate the mood and devotional service of others and how merciful Their Lordships, Jagannatha, Baladev and Subhadra are to engage us in Their service for our benefit.

a thankless job, always people wanting to nitpick. But from your description it sounds absolutely wonderful.

For many years I have contributed considerably to the L.A. Rathyatra and have been in the past invited to cast some deciding votes in the organization of the events, so therefore I have not only been invited but am entitled to 'nit-pick' which is basically thinking aloud, developing a positive critique so that next year may be better.

Great story Atma, and you are actually very good with words, so please tell us more as it inspires you. We can always count on your for nice little touches of detail like the devotee who gave up his parking space to faciliate another's service. Such activiies are worthy of mention, and inspire me with remembrances of the harmonious mood of cooperation among true devotees.

Hemme's description, I felt, while not always what one wants to hear, was his honest impression of the day, and one can not really blame him for describing his experiences and frustrations, and seemingly with an idea for improving future arrangements. It is too bad though that he did not seem to enjoy the day much, which, as is clear from your report, was filled with nectar. Sometimes our bad experiences or memories make us blind to the reality of Krsna's world. I'd guess this happens to practically every one at some time or other.

Atma, can you describe the candy garlands? And did Jagannath wear them or were they for decorating the cart, for later distribution? I am wondering about making a small candy garland for my Krsna.

I think Atma's daughters have summed up Krsna consciousness very nicely:

<ul>The girls said that after all this association they realize how boring the karmi world is.

Glad you asked Jndas, as there ia a change from last year.

The procession will start from the bridge at Transverse St. and JFK drive.It starts at 11:00a and will go to Sharron Meadows for the festival.

It would be nice to see all branches, sub-branches,and fallen twigs like myself show up and cooperate for Krsna's pleasure this year.And that of course means also being friendly to all the new folks that Krsna may bring by.

Hernes observations should be taken as food for growth.

Jaya Jagannatha!

One mataji and the kids made 300 candy garlands for the decoration in the chariots. You just string up candies, lollipops, etc and hang them from the lower part of the carts. They are very popular for distribution.

Guest guest

I happened to attend the LA Rath Yatra a few years back. To see the rath yatra in the midst of venice beach was like seeing a bright lotus on a muddy pond. It was wonderful to see how people were jumping to catch the prasadam thrown from the rath. A few days after the RY, I met a 20 year old american guy on the same venice beach and preached to him. On seeing Jagannath, he recognized the image of the Lord and said,"Hey!! Are you from the church which did the festival a few days ago ? I felt so happy seeing it" I said, "Yes" and invited him to the temple. He said, his girl friend would not come and I said I will preach to her also. He took me to her. She was sun bathing and said bluntly that she is not interested in spiritual stuff. I told him,"She is having such a boring life lying under the sun doung nothing. You can have a lot more interesting life if you do sankirtan - Jai Jagannatha.." He laughed and said,"I will give her up". That startled her. And even I did not think much about it until a week later when I saw him in the temple - shaven. He had come for the Sunday feast.

Last year & this year, I went there and when I saw the crowds, I remembered this incident and knew that some one here would benefit from this mercy. What an important message that Jagannath and His devotees are carrying ? Will people get it ? When I saw the sincere devotees relishing KC, I was inspired by the strong principles that guide them.

Guest guest

By Krishna's grace, I was able to make it to the Puri Rathayatra. It was quite a sight. I don't remember what LA rathayatra looked like since it's been 10 years, but the Puri Rathayatra was absolutely enormous. I estimated many lahks of people attending, and the dieties were gorgeous.

Herne wrote: This was the first Rathayatra since the site was re-landscaped by the city. . . .

stone: Actually, this is the second year. My family and I attended last year, and there were a lot of devotees in attendance, but the new design gave the impression of more room. I appreciate your comments about the devotee attendees' attitudes and activities. Your comment about the young woman who couldn't explain the significance of her tilak says a lot about the state of ISKCON, at least in the US. (That was probably not one of my daughters; I think they could answer that one.)

My wife and I attended the Rathayatra we had Saturday here in Hilo, on the Big Island of Hawaii. Our cart, designed and built by Vidagdha Madhava prabhu, was a float in the annual Festival of the Pacific parade, and it won third prize. In attendance was Bhakti Ballabha Tirtha Maharaj, who gave a wonderful lecture afterwards at our festival at the Puueo Community Center.

Posted by JRdd

Hemme's description, I felt, while not always what one wants to hear, was his honest impression of the day, and one can not really blame him for describing his experiences and frustrations, and seemingly with an idea for improving future arrangements. It is too bad though that he did not seem to enjoy the day much, which, as is clear from your report, was filled with nectar. Sometimes our bad experiences or memories make us blind to the reality of Krsna's world. I'd guess this happens to practically every one at some time or other."

The young man walked into the temple room. The place meant so much to him for it was here that the aching of his heart had been answered, where he had called out in silent prayer to a God that he didn't even believe in, to a mercy that he did not think even existed and the answer had come immediately "I am here. It was here in this place that he had received the mercy of the Vaisnava devotees of the Lord, here where he had received healing and nurturing till that which slept in him awakened. It was here where he had been born. It was the last time that he would ever see it, the last time that he would ever kneel there and offer his respects to his God, the black faced Lord Jaganatha. He would leave this place today and never return and then in a few short years it would be gone, this place where Srila Prabhupada upon seeing a little ant scurrying across a sill had commented that it should be the goal of the devotees to make even the little ant Krsna conscious.

The call had come in for him: "Your father is dead your mother has fallen and broken her neck, and she is not expected to live." But the young man knew differently. He had learned many things there, and he understood many things, he knew that she could live. But only if he returned to care for her, for no one else was there to care for her. So he asked Srila Prabhupada if he could be given leave, leave to return to the place from which he had come to care for the one who had given him birth. Her love had held him to life all through his many years of childhood sickness when the doctors had made similar predictions as now they did for her. The young man promised to Srila Prabhupada and to Lord Jaganatha that when his mother didn&#8217;t need to be cared for anymore that he would return. Was it his imagining or did the old man smile and nod his head, granting his permission?

Later on that day he knew and then after his mother recovered enough to enjoy another ten years of life before her health began to diminish. In the end when her spirit left her poor crippled body he felt her all around him, joyous and free at last.

But for the young man, now an old man from years of care and worry freedom was just another word for nothing left to loose. The temple was gone, the old man was gone and even his memory of his promise made before Lord Jaganatha had been forgotten. All that was left was the annual parade that the devotees held in Venice and Santa Monica, something that he hadn't attended in years. This year after his mothers death he found himself there among the many thousands, chanting again the glories of Lord Jaganatha. It was then that he felt a tap upon his shoulder. Turning round he found himself face to face with a devotee who he had introduced to Krsna consciousness, albeit she had had to drag it out of him with the recount of her sad life and eternal seeking. She had joined the movement decades earlier due despite his cautions and Krsna had protected her. "Do you remember me?" She asked. The old man's eyes rose to look up at the other pair of eyes that were directly above them, watching them, into the eyes of Lord Jaganatha and then he remembered and was young again. It was Lord Jaganathas festival, His day of celebration and yet such is His compassion that he arranged this for an insignificant old man.

Posted by jndas on Heart of Gita thread:

The South Indian brahmin rightly perceived that Krishna condescended, out of love, to become His devotee&#8217;s charioteer, that God became His servant&#8217;s servant. This, said the South Indian brahmin, is the real teaching of the Bhagavad-gita. Higher and lower, up and down, material and spiritual, master and disciple -- all begin to lose meaning when love enters the heart. Chaitanya, the great Master mentioned in the story, inundated Medieval India with his Bhakti renaissance of love of God, transforming a culture that valued asceticism and philosophy above all else,into one that appreciates the virtues of a loving heart.

Theist: Hernes observations should be taken as food for growth.

Ram: Last year & this year, I went there and when I saw the crowds, I remembered this incident and knew that some one here would benefit from this mercy. What an important message that Jagannath and His devotees are carrying ? Will people get it ? When I saw the sincere devotees relishing KC, I was inspired by the strong principles that guide them."

Will people get it? What do you mean? Even those who simply follow the procession, not even intending to but simply because they happen to be going the same way are promised liberation and all of the opulence of Vishnu.

So what do you mean? If you mean that will they get a perception that there is a higher standard of enjoyment then the one that they are used to, that they will get a taste? Yes, I think that they will. But lacking a background in the philosophy I doubt that upon the next day that they go down to the beach and feel disappointment at the lack of devotees and Lord Krsna that they will be able to interpret their feelings in such a way as to lead them to seek out Lord Jaganathas temple. They will just feel a disappointment and a yearning that they are unable to interpret. If you mean will they get a conceptual understanding of the philosophy, to the degree that they can interpret their feelings as being the pleasures and longings of their souls, then no, I don&#8217;t think that they will. Not if that's all the exposure that they get, one festival a year that the most of them happen by chance to run into. A few may, but how many devotees even "get it?" How many attain actually to that horrible position that robs every material joy of its pleasure. How many attain to the single sightedness that results from inclusion in the heart of compassion. One who so attains I imagine that they cannot then bear even a moment to spare for their own selfish pleasure, every moment of their lives and every particle of their existence is surrendered and dedicated. Everyone to Krsna, because only Krsna can save them. Everyone to Krsna because only Krsna can fully satisfy them and everyone to Krsna because only Krsna can fully appreciate and fully requite the love that they have undiscovered deep inside of them. Everyone to Krsna because Krsna is unconquerable.

I hope next year that we will be able to provide a couple of elephants for the parade and for rides and besides that some better prasadam, the best darn meal that they have ever had that will leave all of their McDonalds and other meals repugnant to their sensibilities. Also, although we love the carts we could stand some new ones. So many things to dream of and to work towards.

Stone

Herne wrote: This was the first Rathayatra since the site was re-landscaped by the city. . . .

stone: Actually, this is the second year. My family and I attended last year, and there were a lot of devotees in attendance, but the new design gave the impression of more room. I appreciate your comments about the devotee attendees' attitudes and activities. Your comment about the young woman who couldn't explain the significance of her tilak says a lot about the state of ISKCON, at least in the US. (That was probably not one of my daughters; I think they could answer that one.)

My wife and I attended the Rathayatra we had Saturday here in Hilo, on the Big Island of Hawaii. Our cart, designed and built by Vidagdha Madhava prabhu, was a float in the annual Festival of the Pacific parade, and it won third prize. In attendance was Bhakti Ballabha Tirtha Maharaj, who gave a wonderful lecture afterwards at our festival at the Puueo Community Center."

Sorry, I too am tired, but now that you mention it I do recall that last year that there was a sound stage and a nice devotee group on the Southern end of the festival where it was newly landscaped into an almost theater with razed terraces to sit on.

Most of the devotees that I see are younger than me but it is always nice to see some old graybeard with his family. The girl that I spoke to was with two of her friends of about the same age. Had she not piercingly gazed at me for a considerable length of time I doubt that I would have addressed her. That single question and my reply was as much as I intruded into her world. It is difficult for the young and for the old alike and I admire them both for doing what they can and if they are not perfect...well for every imperfection of theirs I am sure that I have ten others that are worse. I am glad that you had a nice festival. It sounds great.

I went.The procession was nice as it usually is.The weather was perfect so the parade caught the attention of many park users.And the festival site drew many as well.

I left early after that, so hopfully those that stayed will fill in some more details.