IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

The Olympics Opening

Rate this topic

It was very nice. It started off with a moving presentation of the American flag that was raised at the World Trade Center. It then moved to a so-so opening about a young boy battling an oncoming storm, and the need to "light the fire within". This part didn't really work that well for me. But later, it was more than made up for by the native american, western trek storyline. I especially enjoyed the cloth animals, from snakes, bison, moose, birds that were used. They were really magical. Overall a very nice opening. I look forward to the next few weeks of sportsmanship.

Gauracandra

Do all Mericans wear those feathers or is it just the Chiefs? If so, why not Mr. Bush?

I had hoped for an original song from Sting.

BTW, there is a documentary going round about an ex-Mormon from Utah who says he thinks they're a cult. After that other thread, my first impression was similar. At least now I know why Krsna never had me even open the Book of Mormon a childhood friend had given me in the seventies.

I still say, with an audience of 3.5 billion, we should have had Tarun's kirtan party on skates in Utah for the event.

Will we see it before we die? The big football stadium crowds gathered for congregational chanting, worldcast to billions, all to provide a set of Bhagavatams to every underprivileged child in Africa.

I would agree that those I have met have all without exception been fine people. Perhaps the philosophy is just an extra impetus to reach for the sky - if he could it, so can we, type thing. I always admired Donny, sticking to his principles when the whole world was calling him a goodie-goodie wus. Little did we know, it was cool.

I just wanted to say that I don't think they are a cult. They are very dedicated to their religion, but they are very much normal, balanced individuals, and certainly much more mainstream than Hare Krsna's. There are between 8-11 million Mormons in the world, and one person (or maybe a small group) that are ex-mormons says they are a cult. But for the rest of the millions, they find satisfaction in their religion.

Every Mormon I've met (and I've known quite a few, including a descendant of Joseph Smith) I have found to be a very good, honest, and decent person. Every one doesn't smoke, gamble, engage in premarital sex, or consume intoxicants. So they are following 3 of the 4 regulative principles. In addition, they are all very much committed to their families, and work hard to raise them well.

While I disagree with a number of points of their philosophy, and while I may not accept the history of the Book of Mormon, I do find them to be upstanding citizens, and good hearted people. Thats my opinion.

Gauracandra

[This message has been edited by Gauracandra (edited 02-09-2002).]

I saw a program on Donny Osmond some time back. He did go through a phase where his career wasn't doing that hot. So he tried to change his image. He grew a beard, starting hanging out in clubs, and tried to be edgy. But after a few years he realized this wasn't who he was.

For me, the easiest way to view their philosophy, is just to say they don't worship God, but rather some demigod. It is kind of a materialistic approach to spirituality, but it also might explain why they are the richest per capita church in the world.