IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Do you really want to know what your dog is saying?

Rate this topic

Dog translator barks up the right tree

August 9, 2001 Posted: 5:40 AM EDT (0940 GMT)

'Woof woof' may get a whole new meaning

By staff and wire reports

TOKYO, Japan -- Man has always had trouble understanding exactly what his best friend is trying to say.

But a new gadget released in Japan is trying to reduce the lingual divide between dog and its owner.

Creatively called "Bow-lingual", the hand-held electronic device claims to gauge a dog's mood by listening to its bark.

Released by Takara Co Ltd, Japan's third-largest toy maker, the invention uses a microphone on the dog's collar to record the bark.

An infra-red voice print is then beamed to the owners 'emotion pager' -- a small liquid crystal display that shows how the dog feels

Gauging six emotions, the "Bow-lingual" uses 200 words to relay to the owner the dog's feeling together with the relevant pictures.

"Happy", "fun", "annoyed" and "frustrated" are just a few of the options.

Curious owners can even get a description of the dog's emotions during the day by using the "Dog diary" mode.

Developed in conjunction with the Japan Acoustic Lab and mobile phone contents provider Index Corp., the "Bow-lingual" is planned to hit Japan's store shelves in February 2002, retailing for 12,800 yen ($103).

Masami Ochiai, president of Index Corp., expects sales of 200,000 units.

"This is not about communication between two human beings, instead we asked ourselves if it was possible to communicate with animals . . . and our answer to that is that it is possible," Ochiai told Reuters news agency.

Given that one in two people in Japan has a mobile phone, the company is also looking at beaming the dog-translations to mobile phones.

It is also considering marketing the product outside Japan.

Who knows, in a years time, "woof woof" may get a variety of new meanings.

Takara shares closed Wednesday 1.15 percent higher at 1,580 yen, outperforming a 1.26 percent decline in the key Nikkei 225 share averag

Anyone who is sensitive to their pet knows what the animal is saying. It's a combination of getting used to the sounds and also something telepathic, once they get close to their pet. Even I understand dog talk, and I don't care for them as a species (though I can get into playing with my friend's puppy; devotees' dogs seem a bit different).

I am a cat person, though I wouldn't have one now (it all started with my daughter wanting a horse, a kind of compromise) and I could also tell what my cats not only were saying but their mood from their gestures. They are even more clever than dogs at communicating, in some ways. And very easy to communicate through eye to eye contact. Cats have a sense of humor too, which is extremely intelligent. I make good imitations of cat talk and once they knew it was me, they were amused. My last cat used to love drinking my paint water when I wasn't looking. I sometimes pretended I didn't notice, unless there was too much acrylic in the water. One time, when she was near me, she was drinking it very quietly and smally, hoping I wouldn't notice. I looked at her, and as she knew she was busted, she started drinking it fast and loud, while she could. Such a mischievous intelligence. I learned a lot from her.

Srila Prabhupada said animals of the same species can share love. I notice that dogs and cats brought up together also share comeraderie, and are careful not to hurt each other in play with their teeth and claws. I also find that amazing and fun to see.

So if they can do it, why not us?

Quack!

I heard that when a dog sleeps it remembers its past life and its events and thinks that it shouldn't do such things and should get good karma to get a human life and go to God, but then again, when it wakes up... it forgets everything.

I hope your dog didn't see your last post, they(yes thats right, the mysterious they who come up in conversations), say that a dog gets furious when you call it a dog. But we know better than that, all vaishnavas today look at a dog, a rascal and a respectable brahmin as the same... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hare krishna!.