IndiaDivine.org

Injunction for ghee on rice?

Rate this topic

A few days ago I had dinner at an indian friend's house. The wife was serving us rice with subji. She put rice on my plate and then I took that to eat, but she said first she had to put ghee on the rice. I was like "No, thats ok. Its alright". But she was insistent. She said actually it was considered an offense to eat rice without ghee. Seems a bit odd. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this injunction before?

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

A few days ago I had dinner at an indian friend's house. The wife was serving us rice with subji. She put rice on my plate and then I took that to eat, but she said first she had to put ghee on the rice. I was like "No, thats ok. Its alright". But she was insistent. She said actually it was considered an offense to eat rice without ghee. Seems a bit odd. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this injunction before?

As far as I am knowing the white rice digestion is having very high glycemic index and I am thinking eating with ghee is slowing it down. Thus it is offending pancreas and the hormone situation less.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Upon joining ISKCON, Brahmacari Bill (later BBT's Mahendra dAs) told me:

"Rice is a filler. Other preps may be fancy. Rice should be plain."

What about butter &/or salt on rice?

1971's mad-dancing SanskRtist BhIma dAs would often repeat:

"Rice is nice, but KRSNa's nicer."