IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jagat

Kundalini without guru

Rate this topic

From a commentary to the Hatha-yoga-pradipika by Swami Muktibodhananda Saraswati.

The guru will insure that an aspirant is properly prepared before he graces him with an awakening of the divine spiritual force—kundalini. … People who awaken kundalini without a guru have no direction or aim in life. They don’t know how to utilize and harness the immense quantity of energy that has developed within and they don’t understand what is happening to them. They become lost in a maze of meaninglessness and intense experiences and may end up in a mental hospital classified as lunatics. (page 307)

Jagat,

Along these lines, may want to check out the book Kundalini,by Gopi Krishna.Published by Shambala.I suspect you are already long familiar with it.

Written in a non-technical fashion,it is one man's account of how this force became active in his life without his understanding exactly what was happening, and his attempts to deal with the effects.Those ranged from being brought to the brink of physical death to high rapture and inspiration.

One wonders how many near saints may be institutionalized or left as living wounded in the streets?Probably rare but maybe a few.

theist

While selling Spiritual Sky incense 1974-75 we stopped at a Yogibhajan ashram in Arizona or New Mexico.

Some were practicing KuNDalinI.

One european was complaining of backbone burnout.

Overloaded spinal circuits. 110/220/330V

She warned: "brahmacaryena or bust"

Related story:

KuNDali dAs often went to OBL Kapur for advice.

Nonetheless, if u asked him, he'd unequivocally claim:

"Kundali's Without Guru" (except for SP).

I remember that after Siddhaswarupananda moved into the Honolulu temple at the end of 1970, he had a lot of health problems--immune system and nervous system, maybe. As I remember it, they were due to ill effects of his earlier experiments with Kundalini yoga. I suspect he's still feeling some residual effects more than 30 years later.