IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Maitreya

Insomnia

Rate this topic

Originally posted by atma:

I can't sleep! Any herb for that?

atma,

Oh yes, valerian.Nasty smelling and tasting but works well.Any herbs that are classified as nervines will help.

Too much valerian and you may be foggy in the morning.So start with small doses and increase if needed.

Dream of Krishna

Poison you?,no never.You still haven't told me about the robbers and goondas yet. Posted Image

I'm not sure about cats, but there is a dirty sock connection.Valerianic acid is what makes feet stink.El yucko!

I use it in powdered form.You can use veggie caps, taking one ,then try two if needed, 1/2 hour before sleep.

I also just swish some in plain water and chug it down, but then I can handle it 'cause I am a man. Posted Image

In large doses it is an emetic, so start small.

Small dose the effect is sattvic

Large dose it is tamasic.

Try putting some Lavendar extract under your nose. This was big a few years back with the Aromatherapy crowd. Supposedly, the aroma of Lavendar connects with the brain to make one sleepy. I tried it for a while, bought some lavendar extract at a health food store. It smells nice but quite frankly I don't think I noticed any particular results. Perhaps it varies by person or perhaps its due to a placebo effect. Who know. Anyone else try this before?

Gauracandra

Haribol Gauracandra,

The thing about Aromatherapy is you have to have true extract and not syntheic.But in any case it does seem to be a very subtle effect.

Funny this would be my last post before going to see this Iranian movie called, Smell of Camphor, Fragrance of Jasmine.

I'll check this thread before I leave in case you have a review for me.I have a feeling it could go either way.

Haribol

Lavender yes. My favorite scent too. Sometimes I spray it on my pillow at night (lavender water) when I remember to. Where pure French lavender oil (another accolade to the French), just love it, almost more than the smell of ghee and laxmi dhoop together (but not quite--no, not at all in fact, they are different categories; one is in the transcendental realm). My body can't handle valerian. I would be careful, as Maitreya says. If you can handle milk there is nothing like a soothing hot cuppa before bed, honey in it too. Camomile is great. So are hot baths before bed. Don't read in bed and don't even keep books in your bedroom (at least according to feng shui) as their energy is stimulating. I'm not claiming to follow all my own advice. I am notoriously anti- sleep. Something about it seems boring to me. But he/she can not be a yogi who sleeps too little, so I am working on it.

Jayaradhe

I think it comes with older age I know many of my friends experience this. A lot of the time it's just an overactive mind worrying about money, the future, relationships, where I fit in etc. I tend to see it as mercy if it's not so extreme that you can't function the next day, so long as I can find constructive projects to do with my wakefulness,it's all a plus, because on the one hand I hate to waste time in the jaws of the great serpent.

When I really start needing sleep I eat heavier at night, drink pure, hot milk if your body can handle it, and physicly exhaust your energy in the day, this can knock me out like a rock.

If you get between 5 and 7 hrs it's plenty well enough, below this you are becoming insomniac. Just one more condition to add to the list of ists and acs.

Some sedatives not to try hashish, opium, and boring company.

Good hoppin' kirtan Posted ImagePosted Image with a little valerian afterwards works for me.

May you sleep in peace ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

My main problem is waking up!!!!

If all else fails read my posts each night before you're about to go to bed.

There is this ayurvedic oil that Dr. S.K.Jain, the famous Banglore astrologer, has made. If you rub it on your head (a whole hand full of oil, not just a couple drops), your whole head starts to tinkle and you feel like your floating. You will sleep very quickly and deeply.

He hasn't marketed it or mass produced it yet. He just gives it as gifts to his friends.

It was the most amazing oil I ever saw.

The funny thing about hot baths/showers for me, is that while they do relax you, I always find I don't sleep well after them. I think its because it raises my body temperature, and then my body has to work to cool itself down. Perhaps that extra effort causes me not to sleep well after hot showers. By the way Atma have we given you any help, or are you now even less sure about what to do? Posted Image

Gauracandra

Gee guys, thanks for the advise. My problem is that I work in the evenings and reach home almost at midnight. Have no problem going to sleep inmediately but somehow I wake up before 5 AM and I can't go back to sleep even though I tell my mind to go back to sleep because I need to rest. Living so close to the temple I hear every single noise, Mangal Aratik going on, conshells, devotees chanting, others that walk and don't think Posted Imageand in the end I get up and chant japa instead of wasting my time tossing in the sleeping bag. During the day I can't close my eyes because is so much going on. The bags under my eyes are reaching my knees, I'm not exagerating. I'll try whatever you say, let you know after few days. JNDas, can't you get me some of that oil from Surendra? He knows me from Bangalore and Mayapur. He is a very good astrologer.

Originally posted by dasanudas:

If all else fails read my posts each night before you're about to go to bed.

Good idea! Then I will fall asleep in a soothed frame of heart with a smile on my face.

where did you get those frogs? (and I see you mastered the art of posting them too.)

Jayaradhe

[

Atma

you sound like your rythems are fairy much in sync with a devotees life. We should be so fortunate, waking up to kirtan every day sounds like a dream. Tried having a snooze in the afternoon.

Jayaradhe

Posted Image

Those are just joyful little creme de mente jumpin'jamun eva greenies

No master, ee right next t'ya in the smilies

Nitai Gaur Posted ImagePosted Image

Nitai Gaur Posted ImagePosted Image

Well right now I recon it's arati time in Vrndavan.

Last night I slept 7 hours, a record for me lately. I think because of all your blessings and well wishes Posted Image

JNdas you have to get me Surendra's address. He's amazing. The first time that I met him, he told me to write 3 questions in a paper and put it in a envelope. He put the envelope in the lotus feet of Lord Nrisinhadev and without reading the questions he answered them! I was quite impressed to say the least and everything came true! Doesn't A.T. have his address?