IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Tirisilex

Buddhist Mental Poison vs. Aim of Life

Rate this topic

Greetings,

For those who havent seen my last posts (Which wasnt much) I'm a Practicing Vajrayana Buddhist. I've been researching Hinduism and trying to find the similarities and differences between Hinduism and Buddhism.

In Buddhism there are 3 mental poisons. These are Desire (Attraction), Aversion (Fear, Anger) and Ignorance.

I've read that in Hinduism there are 3 great aims in life.. Dharma, Wealth, and Kama (Desire)

My question is: Does Hinduism have a teaching similar to the Buddhist 3 mental poisons? And if so is the Kama aim in life a different kind of desire?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

These are Desire (Attraction), Aversion (Fear, Anger) and Ignorance.

Yes, there are very similar teachings found in the Gita:

tri-vidham narakasyedam

dvaram nashanam atmanah

kamah krodhas tatha lobhas

tasmad etat trayam tyajet

"There are three gates leading to this hell--lust, anger and greed. Every sane man should give these up, for they lead to the destruction of the soul."

And elsewhere Lord Krishna states:

vita-raga-bhaya-krodha

man-maya mam upasritah

bahavo jnana-tapasa

puta mad-bhavam agatah

"Being freed from attachment, fear and anger, being fully absorbed in Me and taking refuge in Me, many, many persons in the past became purified by knowledge of Me--and thus they all attained transcendental love for Me."

They are of the same category, with the difference being that one is being regulated through dharma, or religion.

By association with religion, there is hope that the regulated attachement will eventually be given up.

If that essence of dharma is lost, then even the regulated attachment acts to degrade one further.

The four aims of life (dharma, artha, kama and moksha) are not recommended aims. The only factual aim of life is to be resituated in one's constitutional spiritual position through self-realization.

Being conditioned and subject to illusion, humanity manufactures these four aims of life, thinking they will satisfy the self. Thus they have been termed as purusharthas, or "the welfare of humanity". Factually these aims are material and do not satisfy the soul, which is situated beyond all material causes and effects.

Just as one may use a thorn to remove another thorn stuck in one's foot, so it is possible through regulation to utilize these external aims of life to gradually purify oneself. By keeping dharma as the center, all of one's endeavours for enjoyment (kama) and accumulation of wealth (artha) become purified, less binding and less harmful to the universe and oneself.

Thus it is recommended in the scriptures, that rather than engage in unregulated activities of attachment, it is better to filter one's attachment through dharma (or religious activities). In this way there is hope of gradual future advancement through purification.

[This message has been edited by jndas (edited 07-21-2002).]