IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Aaaj

Ramayana

Rate this topic

Hi! All,

Jay Shree Krushna

I am finding exact dates of Ramayana in B.C.

Also, if anyone can help me to fine Birthdates,marriage dates,of Lord-Rama.

Thank you all,

one of the soul

Aaaj

Still Unable to find Jijagi's notes regarding Ramayana Historical dates.

Please, help me.

Thank you all

Aaaj

Originally posted by Aaaj:

Hi! All,

Jay Shree Krushna

I am finding exact dates of Ramayana in B.C.

Also, if anyone can help me to fine Birthdates,marriage dates,of Lord-Rama.

Thank you all,

one of the soul

Aaaj

If we accept the scriptural statements, then Ramayana occurs in Treta Yuga. The Dvapara yuga is 864,000 years long, and we have already passed through 5,000 years of Kali. So at least 869,000 years have passed, though it could be many more, since it is likely to have occurred sometime in themiddle of Treta Yuga as opposed to the very end.

Thank you JnDas.

Yes, accourding to Purana we thought Load was born in Treta Yoga.

But, how do I find weather it was story by Maharshi Valmiki or Reality ?

Send me reply when you get a chance.

-

If we believe the saints and gurus, and if we believe seers such as Valmiki, then it is a true historical narration of the Supreme Lord's descent.

If we believe modern historians, who think civilized humanity did not exist for more than 8,000 years, then it is a mythological tale.

The Vedas speak of historical time frames spanning millions of years that are incomprehensible to modern historians. You need to decide whom you accept as authority and why.

Thank you JnDas.

Yes, accourding to Purana we thought Load was born in Treta Yoga.

But, how do I find weather it was story by Maharshi Valmiki or Reality ?

-

These are questions I share with you Aaaj.A related question would be:Is it possible that Reality came in the Form of a story by Valmiki.

I am having great trouble trying to reconcile the seemingly impossible and exaggerated depictions in various Lilas with the obvius spiritual attraction that draws me to them.

theist

Definately I am beleving in Vedas but what happend if my child ask me this question.

I am thinking about next generation.

How do I put them in to the river(Veda,Upnishad,puran,Geeta) where I started swaiming?

I would like to thank you JnDas and Theist for their reply.

Best Wishes and waiting for your reply

-

Aaaj

Originally posted by theist:

These are questions I share with you Aaaj.A related question would be:Is it possible that Reality came in the Form of a story by Valmiki.

I am having great trouble trying to reconcile the seemingly impossible and exaggerated depictions in various Lilas with the obvius spiritual attraction that draws me to them.

theist

Yes, Prabhuji, I will entirely agree with you on that. In fact, that is the line taken by many, including Sri Aurobindo. Also, Valmiki Ramayana itself is an expansion on the root theme from Rk veda. Please go to this link and click on Rig vedic Ramayana at the bottom. It is in 5 parts and you will enjoy reading it.

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/articles/

Also, we cannot insist that smritis and puranas are perfect verbatim. There are many versions so which one is bonafide? I believe that they all have basis in truth but have gone through many accretions over time. For example, Uttara Kanda was never written by Valmiki, yet we find it today. Basically puranas were written to explain esoteric truth to less intelligent people.

karthic_v

Thanks for the link prabhu.I will check it out.What is confusing for me is that I accept realization of variety in the spiritual world as being superior to simple undifferentiated Brahman realization.

I am just wondering out loud here.In anthropormorphism the conditioned mind imagines God to be like this or that based on its own experience.

I am just thinking that perhaps what we have is a reverse of that process.Meaning that it may be that these lilas are here as a bridge to a personal Reality that is variegated but still incomprehensible to us due to our limited experience.

I just wonder if sages like Vyasadeva being the literary incarnation of God haven't also given us a literary incarnation of God in the form of the work.

There are many inherent problems with this like the energy experienced in the holy dhamas for instance.

Anyway as these questions arise its nice to have contact with others who can help me come to a true understanding.I am not trying to offend anyone's beliefs here.

Again,thank you all of those who are trying to helping me regarding Ramayana.

I will definately check those link.

Again Question is:

"How do I explain my child regarding Load Rama,Maharshi Valmiki,and many more ?"

Because there questions would be what the birthdates, marriage dates,etc for Lord-Rama,Laxmana,Sitaji?

Please, send us your feedback..Any many of those who aware-of-the fact.Just send it to us.

Best Wishes to all the souls

-Aaaj

Aaaj,

While kids can be inquisitive, it is very unlikely that a kid would ask for specific dates of Ramas' birth, wedding, etc (I may be wrong). If it happens, you can say according to tradition, Rama lived almost a million years back, but the actual dates are not clear. I believe that should be sufficient.

Cheers

http://www.hanumanchalis.com/dating.htm

Is it true?

Thanks

Jijaji posted sometime back a lot P V Vartak's writings. I don't recall the exact contents and haven't read his books. May be Jijaji can comment further. PVV bases his dates on astronomical observations. As Shvu often reminds, astronomical dates are cyclical. So, while they give the latest possible date, they don't necessarily give the exact date.

Still there is no reply from jijaji reagarding this email, so if Jijaji can reply then it is fine otherwise I am planing to close this subject.

Thank you all for your help

-

Aaaj

Also, Valmiki Ramayana itself is an expansion on the root theme from Rk veda. Please go to this link and click on Rig vedic Ramayana at the bottom. It is in 5 parts and you will enjoy reading it.

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/articles/

Karthik,

I was surprised when I saw these verses from the Rig-veda, because I was under the impression that no verses relating to Ramayana exist today.I went thru these verses and as far as I can see, there is no explicit mention of Rama or Ravana. The Lord is interpreted as Rama and the villain as Ravana.

According to the dvaita tradition, the Valmiki Ramayana is not as authoritative as the Mahabharata. The actual Itihasa about the story of Rama is the muula-Ramayana which is not extant today. Madhva quotes several verses from the Muula Ramayana which sometimes are different from the Valmiki version.

Cheers

Hi ! Sivu,

It is not different from Valmiki Ramayana..

The diffrence is in the eyes of interpreter.

so, they wrote what then imagine using dhyan and samathi.

Hope you understand.

Aaaj,

The variations are minimal and minor, but they do exist. Read <a href = "http://groups.google.com/groups?q=muula+shrisha&hl=en&selm=4rch75%24rae%40newsstand.cit.cornell.edu&rnum=6"> this</a> and if you are interested, you may also pose this question on the dvaita forums for specific quotes.

Also visit: http://www.hanumanchalis.com/dating.htm

Thanks

Aaaj

This gentleman has completely ignored the Yuga concept and periods. If he is willing to rely on traditional sources to date Rana, he must take into account all the information provided. He cannot be selective and since he has been selective, his dates hold no value.

Cheers

Originally posted by shvu:

Karthik,

I was surprised when I saw these verses from the Rig-veda, because I was under the impression that no verses relating to Ramayana exist today.I went thru these verses and as far as I can see, there is no explicit mention of Rama or Ravana. The Lord is interpreted as Rama and the villain as Ravana.

According to the dvaita tradition, the Valmiki Ramayana is not as authoritative as the Mahabharata. The actual Itihasa about the story of Rama is the muula-Ramayana which is not extant today. Madhva quotes several verses from the Muula Ramayana which sometimes are different from the Valmiki version.

Cheers

Dear Shvu,

There is certainly a direct mention of Lord Rama's name in Rk veda. Of course, assuming that the Rama mentioned here is the same as Valmiki's Rama. Many commentators, including Neelakanta have thought so:

pra tad Duhsheeme Prithavaane Vene pra Rame vochamasure maghavatsu

ye yuktvaaya pancha shataasmayu pathaa vishraavyeshhaam: [RV 10:93:14] [Translation: In the yajnas of great kings such as Dusheema, Prithavaana, Vena, and Rama, I utter these hymns to the Gods who traverse the spiritual world and who protect us.]

Also read this verse from Rk veda. This doesn't refer to Lord Rama by name, but the inference looks okay if taken with the above verse:

sa hi dyutaa vidyutaa veti saamaprithum yonimasuratvaa sasaada

sa saneelebhih: prasahaano asya bhraaturna rite saptathasya maayaaH [RV 10:99:2] [Translation: By His brilliance and prowess, [Rama] with His forces, withstanding the prolonged onslaught of [Ravana] illusion tactics, destroyed the same along with all his maya.]

And also this verse from moola Ramayana [i am assuming that all sampradayas consider it to be authentic] tells that Valmiki's rendition is from the Rk veda:

Ramayanadrumam naumi Rama rakshaana vaankuram:

Gayatri beejamaam naaya moolam moksha mahaa phalam: [Translation: I bow to the sacred tree of Ramayana that has a bud called the Rama-raksha-stotra, that which has the the Gayatri (mantra) as its seed, that which has its roots in the Vedas, and that which yields the great fruit of deliverance.]

All the above based on the link I posted to advaita-vedanta.org and a few other related articles.

I didn't know that moola Ramayana is considered different from Valmiki's by the Dvaitins. Thanks for pointing that out. I knew that Sri Madhvacarya interpreted Ramayana differently - atleast in nuances. Then that is the case with many other acaryas including Kambar and Tulsidass. Curiously, the oldest extant Ramayana in Tamil is not by Kambar. Atleast 3 versions predated that, of which one survives in part. It is called Pazhaya Ramayanam. Dating that is difficult, but the venpaa style suggests that it belonged to Sangam age. Of course, most western scholars and our own Dravidian scholars would date that post-Sangam as seeing something blatantly religious during Sangam days upsets their secular model. I am wondering if this Pazhaya Ramayanam is based on moola Ramayana. That is purely a guess. Interestingly, both Akanaanuru and Puranaanuru make mention of Ramayana in the passing. That is for tidbits!