IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

One who is always embraced by Krsna

Rate this topic

The following extracts come from “Krsnalingita-vigraha: One who is always embraced by Krsna” the biography of Srila Gour Govinda Swami:

Rddha Dasa: The first time I came across Gour Govinda Swami was when I was in Vrndavana in 1975 at the opening of the Krsna-Balaram Mandir. I was on my way to South Africa and there were initiations taking place in the courtyard of the Krsna-Balaram Temple, and during that time Srila Prabhupada was giving initiation to many people from all over the world. Most of the devotees who came up and took vows from Srila Prabhupada were just accepting their beads and repeating their vows in front of Srila Prabhupada, and then Gour Govinda dasa was introduced as being someone from Orissa who was a brahmacari who was taking sannyasa.

Then the most astounding thing took place; actually it was set up a little bit by the new devotees that were taking initiation from Srila Prabhupada. Srila Prabhupada had to explain the meaning of initiation. But then when Gour Govinda Maharaja came up, well, he took over the whole show, because he gave a spontaneous speech to Srila Prabhupada on the glories of the guru. Srila Prabhupada went into a sort of trance when he heard this. His offering was quite lengthy and it was all in Sanskrit and Srila Prabhupada was very taken back and was practically crying, and Srila Prabhupada glorified Gour Govinda Maharaj very much. He said this is how to glorify the spiritual master. He was very much taken by the offering of Gour Govinda Maharaj.

Elsewhere:

Prabhupada: We have got one gentleman, professor. He is good learned scholar. I can engage him for translating.

Gopala Krsna: Oriya. Very nice.

Prabhupada: He has writing… That machine… I can see the manuscript. In this way, arrangement make.

Gopala Krsna: Very good. We just printed two books in Oriya, Topmost Yoga and one more. One more.

Prabhupada: He likes Oriya language.

Gopala Krsna: Who? Gour Govinda Swami? He is very sincere devotee.

Prabhupada: Oh, yes, undoubtedly.

Gopala Krsna: Very sincere.

Prabhupada: Krsna sent him. He… In Vrindavana, he said that “Please give me shelter.” I thought that “There are so many Indian comes and go.” So when he insisted, “All right, you stay.”

Harisauri: Yeah. He took sannyasa at the opening of the temple. I remember that.

Prabhupada: He’s a good boy.

Harisauri: He’s stuck it out for a long time in Orissa. He’s been there a long time, by himself a lot of time too.

Prabhupada: Yes. Yes. He’s organizing nicely.

Gopala Krsna: He’s very sincere. He follows all the regulations very rigidly. He gets up in the morning, ideal example.

Jagadisa: He understands the philosophy quite well.

Prabhupada: Oh, yes. And he is educated. He is B.Sc. He knows Hindi also.

Gopala Krsna: He worked on Hindi translation for some time.

Have you heard or read the biography of Sri Gour Govinda Maharaj? And also how he wonderfully left his body? Some time, when I feel up to it, I would love to type this out in excerpts for the devotees enjoyment.

I have been reading The Beautiful Life of Jayananda Thakur, Remembering an American Saint, and the title of this thread grabbed me, as I was hoping to share some Jayananda nectar, and hope that is appropriate here, for Jayananda surely is very dear to Krsna, as he always was to Srila Prabhupada, who even personally coooked for him many times, back in the early days, 1967, when Jayananda was still driving a cab. When I read this book I never fail to cry. With joy. The story I want to tell here, I was reading aloud last night to a friend, and got too choked up to practically finish it. Hope it makes everyone else cry too Posted Image . Here is the story, as told in the folksy, loving style of the author Vishoka prabhu:

"Jayananda's great devotion to Srila Prabhupada

Now, gentle and loving bhaktas, this next story will break your heart, it makes me cry when I think about it. I had never heard this before, listen to the nectar of Jayananda's devotion. For some reason Jayananda was put in a clinic near San Diego, California, for his cancer condition. A nice devotee, Muktakesha, told how he came to Jayananda's room to bring something to him. Muktakesha was there in the room and casually began to sit on the bec, but Jayananda stopped him before he did. Muktakesha was wondering, why not? and then he turned and noticed a picture of Srila Prabhupada at the head of the bed, propped up by the pillow. Jayananda then explained how he had never had such a nice bed like this (as a devotee), and how he thought it was more appropriate that his spiritual master, Srila Prabhupada, should enjoy the bed. I tremble as I write this, Jayananda gave his nice bed to his beloved Gurueva, in great love and devotion, and laid his cancer-ridden body on the floor in the small space in front of the bed.

I'll try to post more on Srila Gour Govinda Maharaj. Jayaradhe, the story of his passing is very wonderful. In fact, right before he passed away he narrated the story found in "The Embankment of Separation." There have been only two books in the last few years (that I've "discovered") that have actually inspired me - The Embankment of Separation, and The Imitation of Christ. Both are HIGHLY recommended.

Gauracandra

Some weeks ago I did order and receive The Imitation of Christ, on your recommendation, Gauracandra prabhu. A few days ago I recommended it to my recently ex-atheist sister to read, as she is now keen on reading all kinds of Godly books. I haven't read a whole lot of it yet though. Right now I keep returning to the Jayananda book.

I also have The Embankment of Separation, a book I had to have after seeing it at a friend's. What story are you saying he narrated the night before leaving his body? It's be great if you could put more of Srila Goura Govinda Maharaja's nectar here!

Some of us are planning to write a collage of simple stories into play form, different Jayananda pasttimes, and send them around the world to be performed on Jayanada's Appearance Day, on May 24. (He left his body on my birthday, May 1). I keep meaning to find the pastime I would like to script, but I always get caught up in the sheer pleasure of reading the pastimes and loving embellishments and insights of the author, Vishoka prabhu. If anyone knows a good Jayananada story they would recommend, I would welcome the suggestions.

There are two other books I have been inspired by in the past couple of years. One is The Wisdom of No Escape and The Path of Loving-Kindness by Pema Chodan, an American Buddhist who writes with a wonderful sense of humor and reassurances about things like our egos and lack of surrender, letting go, etc. As devotees it is no hard job to see her insights in light of our Krsna-centredness. (I also ahve another great book by her called When Everything Falls Apart. Like the other book it provides much consolation and encouragement.)

The other book is The Little Way of Saint Therese, who left her body at the age of 24 but was prematurely "sainted" due to the affect she had on others, just because of her simple surrendered attitude. Coincidentally, she too used the term loving-kindness (which I found on the internet is also known as maitri), and her "little way" was to be simple, small and surrendered to the will of God. She saw herself as weak-spirited and fully dependent on the mercy of God, if she was to go back to Godhead. Her honest and often self-effacing but frank writing makes an enjoyable compelling read, and I am convinced of her purity as a devotee. She also painted amazing pictures, and wrote plays, which she also acted in, like Joan of Arc. All this while in a convent, which she entered unusually young, after personally begging of the pope as a young teenager, following her three older sisters before her.

Jayaradhe

The following is from the book "The Embankment of Separation" in a section called "A Life of Devotion".

On February 9th, 1996, the holy appearance day of Srila Bhaktisiddanta Sarasvati, two senior devotees requested an appointment to see Srila Gaur Govinda Swami. They had never spoken with him before, but they had become eager to hear from him after reading some of his books. As if by providential arrangement, they entered his room at 6.00 p.m. and submissively inquired, "Why did Caitanya Mahaprabhu stay in Jagannatha Puri?" He laughed with delight and began to explain the confidential significance of Mahaprabhu's pastimes. In anser to this question he lovingly described the pain of separation felt by Radha and Krsna when Krsna was away from Vrndavana. He had often narrated this moving pastime as recorded in Chapter Eight of this great work, "The Embankment of Separation". Enchanting all the devotees in his room with the nectarean topics of Krsna, he gradually unfolded the pastime to the point where Radha and Krsna were finally united after Their long separation. He described how Krsna became so ecstatic upon seeing Radharani that He manifested a form with big round eyes, known as Lord Jagannatha. With a choked voice he said, "Then the eyes of Krsna fell upon the eyes of Radharani. Eye-to-Eye union." Overwhelmed with love for Radha and Krsna, he apologized with folded hands, "Please excuse me, I cannot speak". In a barely audible voice he gave his final instruction: "Nama Koro! Nama Koro! (Chant the holy name)" All the devotees began to chant as their spiritual master lay back on his bed, breathing very slowly and deeply. A servant nearby placed a picture of Gopal Jiu [his childhood deity] in his hand. Then, gazing lovingly at the picture of his worshipable deity, Srila Gaur Govinda Swami called out, "Gopal!" and departed for the spiritual sky to be united with his beloved Lord.

Every day before Srimad-Bhagavatam class, Srila Gaur Govinda Swami would sing a song he had learned as a boy. Now his prayer was fulfilled.

paramananda he madhava

padungaluchi makaranda

se-makaranda pana-kari

anande bolo 'hari hari'

harinka name vandha vela

pari karive caka-dola

se-caka-dolanka-payare

mana-mo rahu nirantare

mana mo nirantare rahu

'ha-krsna' boli jiva jau

'ha-krsna' boli jau jiva

mote udhara radha-dhava

mote udhara radha-dhava

mote udhara radha-dhava

"O supremely blissful Madhava! The nectar is coming from Your lotus feet. Drinking that nectar, I blissfully sing 'Hari! Hari!' With the name of Hari I am binding a raft on which Lord Jagannatha will ferry me across this ocean of material existence. My mind always remains at the lotus feet of that Lord Jagannatha who has very large round eyes. In this way, I call out "Ha Krsna!" and give up my life. O husband of Radharani, please deliver me."

The sadhu never speaks theoretically.

Jayaradhe, I hope your sister enjoys “The Imitation of Christ” as much as I do. Basically, this is why I like it: there is a real immediacy to the words. When I read it, because I’m reading the words of someone deeply devoted to God, in a way I feel like I’m stepping into those shoes. So that when I read, its not passive, but in a way I’m actually praying and not reading. The words feel like they are turning, and moving, they are alive, and so as I read I find some sense of inspiration. The same for “The Embankment of Separation”. It was one of those books I came across and no matter to what page I turned to, I would read and just absolutely love it. It was so sweet, and so beautiful, that I absolutely loved it (and it was just compiled from various lectures by Srila Gour Govinda Swami, with some editing).

Prior to meeting Srila Prabhupada, Srila Gaur Govinda Swami worked as a school teacher. At the age of 45, in 1974, he gave notice at his position and renounced the world to seek a divine guru to guide him. The following is the recollection of one of his students of that day when Brajbandhu Manik, renounced the world and took the name Gaura Gopala, later to be given sannyasa by Srila Prabhupada as Gaura Govinda:

“I heard that Gurudeva had left his family life and his position as a teacher and had gone to the Kakudia Math. The day after he left home I went to Kakudia Math to see him. When I arrived he was sitting and looking at a picture of Gopal and singing over and over again, “Gopala, Gopala, Gopala, Gopala, Gopala, Gopala, Gopala” In the afternoon a group of teachers and students from the high school arrived to meet him. They were stunned by his sudden renunciation. They asked him, “Why have you left your job and your home?” Gurudeva then asked me to recite Manabodha-cautisa, “Instructions to the Mind”, a song by the Oriya Vaishnava Bhakta Charan Das:

I say to you, O mind: Obey my order!

Let us go and see the beautiful black-faced one [Lord Jagannath]

For how long will you remain bound in material life?

At the end of your life, what will you take with you?

Piece by piece your ribs will be distributed

Amongst the dogs and jackals.

O mind, you are now sleeping comfortably on a nice mattress,

But after death your body will give off a terrible smell.

How many of your friends and family have already died?

How much of their wealth could they bind in a cloth to take with them?

You have never uttered the names of guru and Govinda!

Always deeply absorbed in thinking how to gather wealth,

You are acquiring so many things like house and family!

But when your life is gone, all will cry “Ghost!”

The ladies of the house will close up the doors.

And only after the recommended period of purification will

Your relatives be considered freed from contamination.

Gurudeva was listening intently to the song. When I came to the last line he fainted and fell back unconscious against me.

In the early days of the Bhubaneswar temple, the prasadam used to be very austere and small in quantity. It consisted mainly of kichari, dalma, and rice. In those days Srila Gaur Govinda Maharaja was only eating once a day. The cook used to offer him a small glass of fresh cow’s milk every day. Once a grhastha devotee came to Gurudeva and complained, “I am not getting milk every day, but you are getting milk.” In this way he found fault with Guru Maharaja. On that day Srila Gaur Govinda Maharaja took a vow never to take milk again. He strictly followed that vow throughout the rest of his life.

i have been patiently waiting for more glorification of the Vaisnavas for a week now...this is entirely too long for me...please write more..i don't want something for nothing...in 1975 we were helping build the Rathayatra Carts in New Jaganatha Puri. it was cold, i was hungry and not surrendered very nicely...here comes Jayananda Prabhu with a big steaming bucket of halava...i was kind of off by myself pouting and he came over and asked me if i would like some halava...(a brief note here: our temple president would not let the brahmacaris eat a lot of sweet things)...Jayananda started putting on my plate scoop after scoop even tho' i mock protested...he had the most incredibly wonderful smile on his face as he was doing this...this smile completely transformed my mood...it was like a Bhakti switch had been turnned on inside of my heart...after seeing that smile and his subsequent absolutely humble service attitude on the cart project it made the rest of the festival so wonderful...he was so kind to all of us "nobody devotees" who had got "stuck" on the cart detail. he made us all feel so inspired with even the most insignificant tasks...all Glories to all of the Vaisnavas! beemasane das