IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pujar

Reincarnation

Rate this topic

1. When reincarnation is a reality, why many religions, exccept Hinduism, do not believe in it?

2. Are there any indications (subtle or obvious) in ourselves to feel that we had visited this world before?

>1. When reincarnation is a reality, why many religions, exccept Hinduism, do not believe in it?

Because everyone is one a different level of spiritual understanding.Karma is God's cosmic teacher which makes sure all lost souls eventually return to him,it teaches by experience.

>Are there any indications (subtle or obvious) in ourselves to feel that we had visited this world before?

Our habits,personality etc,we acquired all this during our previous lifetime(s).

God bless.

joy

1. When reincarnation is a reality, why many religions, exccept Hinduism, do not believe in it?

Since when did reincarnation become a reality? Reincarnation is still hypothetical and

if one claims there are people who 'remembered' past lives, there are an equal or more number of cases where the so_called memories turned out to be a fake. For instance, a girl has memories of a lady on a swing, a particular kind of house, etc which later turned out to be her neighbor when she was very little. Those hazy memories were interpreted by some enthusiastic folks as memories of a past life.

Of course, this does not prove there is no reincarnation, but there certainly isn't sufficient evidence to say reincarnation is a reality.

2. Are there any indications (subtle or obvious) in ourselves to feel that we had visited this world before?

No.

Assuming there is such a thing as reincarnation, one is not supposed to remember any past life, because of the heavy load it brings on memory.

In one of the many reincarnation stories in India, one young man suddenly remembers his past life, identifies the village where he lived and goes there. There he finds his wife from his previous life still alive [she is old] and his son a young man, but older than him. On seeing them, all the past feelings well up and consequently, he gets confused because he has a mother and a girfriend in this life! He does not feel like breaking away from his past and yet he knows he should. Not a nice thing to happen to anyone.

Thus, even if there is reincarnation, it is fortunate that one doesn't remember any past life. It can only make things worse.

Disclaimer: Just like other posts made by other people, this is my own opinion. No need for anyone to get upset and angry at an 'un-devotee-like' post. Anyway, there are plenty of christian devotees, who do not believe in reincarnation and some of them (from my own experience) give excellent logic to refute it.

Cheers

Thus, even if there is reincarnation, it is fortunate that one doesn't remember any past life. It can only make things worse.

Imagine if we could remember all the mistakes, all the criminal activities, all the terrible things we've done for thousands of lives. Not to mention all the people whom we loved, all our family members whom we lost, etc.

It is Krishna's mercy that he gives us forgetfulness and provides us with a clean mental slate to start our journey fresh.

sarvasya caham hridisannivishto

mattah smritir jnanam apohanam ca

"I am situated in everyone's heart, and from me come knowledge, remembrance and forgetfullness."

This is especially true since many times enemies become connected in future lives as friends or relatives.

For example, someone whom you cheated in the last life may become your son, to take back what is owed to him.

In one life you are cheating or killing them, in the next life they are your son or daughter.

It would make a completely different world.

Lord Krishna in Bhagavad Gita:

"Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be. The soul is immortal, eternal and is not slain when the body is slain."

"Many births both you and I have passed; I can remember them all, Arjuna, whereas you cannot."

Buddists also believe in reincarnation, as do many, many people these days who do not necessarily consider themselves religionists.

Reincarnation makes perfect sense to those who accept it on the basis that we keep getting a chance over and over again to

improve ourselves and learn valuable lessons.

Proof of reincarnation is evident, for example, in the life of Mozart, who could compose a symphony at the age of 5, obviously picking up where he left on in a previous birth. Also, we see humans who are very wise and mature, even at a young age. They are usually referred to as 'old souls'.

Again, to quote Lord Krishna:

"For one who is born, death is certain and for one who has died, birth is certain."

For devotees, especially those following in the line of Sri Chaitanya & his intimate associates, whether we take birth in any of the material universes or go back to the spiritual world is irrelevant, as long as we are blessed with service to Radha and Krishna and Their dear devotees.

Proof of reincarnation is evident, for example, in the life of Mozart, who could compose a symphony at the age of 5, obviously picking up where he left on in a previous birth.

This reminds me of something similar. My boss and me were discussing reincarnation the other day and he had this to tell.

During his college days [early 60s], he had taken a course in advanced calculus. There was a 10 year old boy in this course who knew more about calculus than the professor himself ! This kid knew everything about Mathematics and he used to take classes with people who were atleast twice his age. Apparently back then, it was fashionable for Universities to have a prodigy or two. My boss recalls there were 2 more kids along with this one. He felt reincarnation was the best explanation for such a wonder. However the kid himself had no recollection of memories from a past life. He just knew everything about Math.

Cheers

There are many scientific studies conducted that do lend credence to reincarnation. I am posting one here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52232-2001Dec16.html

Normally, the mainstream science offers a lot of resistance before they accept anything contrary to their traditions. Accupuncture and chiropractic were ridiculed by mainstream medicine a few decades ago.

Christianity, for certain accepts reincarnation, though the church rejects it. I am busy today and will post more on this and other topics over the week-end. Similarly, till the Vatican whitewashed cultures, virtually every culture accepted reincarnation. I will also write on reincarnation and ancient Tamil saints, this week-end.