IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Inmemoriam

Rate this topic

I have read that a devotee girl named Radha Vrindavan has recently passed away. Apparently her car was hit from behind and she was left in a coma. She passed away with tulasi in her mouth, and Srila Prabhupada's chanting from a tape recorder.

Here is a good website to visit:

http://www.iskcon.net/inmemoriam/

Unfortunately it hasn't been updated in 1 1/2 years. I think this is unfortunate, since the service this website has/could perform I think is very important. It allows devotees to create a permanent record of the service and love that other devotees have brought to their community. I wish it was still updated.

In any event, when I read about Radha Vrindavan's accident a few days back, I put in my own prayer. Now she has passed, but I'm sure she is doing better now.

Gauracandra

Last night I went to a nice program in remembrance of Radha. Madhavi opened her house and they are having a 3 days prayer session for her. Tonight will be the last day. Radha was 26 years old and the mother of a boy, Jayananda and a 3 months old baby girl. Radha's husband is doing better and taking to chanting. Many of her coworkers were there (she worked in Barney's) and they participated in the bhajans and prayers.

They didn't release the body yet because it is a criminal case and they may have to do an autopsy. Papaharini was telling me that she had the chance to be alone with the body after the departure for about an hour and she was chanting on her beads all the time, when she was leaving she felt that Radha was following her and she had to tell her to go back. They should do the cremation as soon as possible and all the ceremonies necessaries for her soul to go to a better destination.

My prayers are for her and her family.

This is Krodhasamani's account of Radha's passing:

Radha's Passing

BY KRODHASAMANI DASI

USA, Dec 28 (VNN) — A number of devotees from around the world were praying for her and will take solace in hearing of her passing. Thank you.

Dear Raghunath,

All Glories to Srila Prabhupada, thank you for your beautiful phone calls. It was very encouraging to hear your voice. As you know, Radha Vrndavan did pass away at 7:42 am. Although, the grief and sadness are overwhelming for all of us, as we loved such a beautiful soul such as her, we understand that her death was auspicious. She had kirtan and bhajan at her bedside for hours before she died. Kishor had led the kirtan for a very long time, and Nitai and Devala, decorated the room she was in with pictures of Srila Prahbupada and Krsna, Lord Nrsmgha deva. Devala made sure that she always had a tape of Srila Prabhupada chanting japa in her ears. So, her death was so auspicious, as she left this world.

Right now, Shankari (her mother) is staying at Madhavi's house (a dear friend), where all the devotees can visit, chant, and share together. We are taking care of Shankari so she can pull through this with strength and the only way to do that is surrender to Lord Krsna, and ask Srila Prabhuada for strength. We all become so humbled in the face of death, we realize how Krsna really is in control, we belong only to Him. We kept telling Shankari that Radha belongs to Krsna!!!! I will keep in touch, be well, and thank you for all the good energy and love that you put out for Radha...that really touched me.

This is true Jahnava Nitai. I don't know Radha Vrindavan, yet when I heard of her accident I immediately became more somber, and introspective. You are confronted with death, and you realize how so much is actually quite meaningless. Partly its empathy, and partly you realize your own mortality. That could be me, or you, or anyone of us. But in time I'll forget about this incident and continue on as usual. Something more for me to think about.

Also, thank you very much for the updates Atma. I personally said my own prayer for her a few days back. I am sure the family is being comforted by friends during this time.

Gauracandra

[This message has been edited by Gauracandra (edited 12-28-2001).]

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

I have read that a devotee girl named Radha Vrindavan has recently passed away. Apparently her car was hit from behind and she was left in a coma. She passed away with tulasi in her mouth, and Srila Prabhupada's chanting from a tape recorder.

Here is a good website to visit:

[url="http://www.iskcon.net/inmemoriam/%5B/URL"]http://www.iskcon.net/inmemoriam/[/url

Unfortunately it hasn't been updated in 1 1/2 years. I think this is unfortunate, since the service this website has/could perform I think is very important. It allows devotees to create a permanent record of the service and love that other devotees have brought to their community. I wish it was still updated.

In any event, when I read about Radha Vrindavan's accident a few days back, I put in my own prayer. Now she has passed, but I'm sure she is doing better now.

Gauracandra

After reading through the list of deceased devotees who were disciples of ACBSP, I am surprised to see Ambarisa and Hayagriva. SP generally did not give 2 diciples the same name, so does anyone know if it is the same Ambarish from Detroit (grandson of Henry Ford) and the same Hayagriva who was one of the first disciples of SP, a former professor and early resident of New Vrndaban?

Bhaktavasya,

I don't know. I'm positive Ambarisa is still alive, and think the same about Hayagriva. The only thing I could think of was the webmaster perhaps put abunch of Prabhupada disciple names, so that when they do pass, a position will be set up in advance. Just speculation. But that is odd.

Gauracandra

That Hayagriva is the original Hayagriva who edited the English in Prabhupada's books. He wrote a number of books, one I remember was called "Vrindavana Days". He passed away quite a few years back.

As far as Ambarish, he is still alive. I just saw a message from him regarding George Harisson's passing away. Prabhupada had given the same names to several people, for example Shyamasundara.

It is interesting how when people whom we know suddenly die, for a short moment we realize how meaningless our daily activities are. What we consider as so important, say for example paying the telephone bill before the expiration date, means absolutely nothing. For a few days we can understand that there is an absolute truth beyond the illusions we consider real. But then again maya covers us till the next warning. Even Hiranyakashipu became a Vedanti when Hiranyaksha was killed. But his vairagya did not last long due to his demoniac nature.

Even when very famous people die, whom we don't actually know, the same effect sometimes occurs. In our mind we identify them as being connected to us, even though we have never seen them in person.

Sorry for going a little off from the subject of the thread, but these are just some thoughts that have come up from reading this.

ZrI ZrI Guru-Gaurangau JayataH

If this is same Spiritual Sky UpendranAth from New Dvarka, in Dec1974, up to this very same week 27 years ago, to be exact, he helped me by giving my 8-9 month pregnant wife temporary shelter.

If RAdhA was/is 26, she was certainly Godsent, a chronologically direct blessing for him/them just after helping us.

I'm sure they helped many others too.

vaiSNavera sanga mage ei adhama dAsa

Upendranath prabhu is here in LA again, he flew from Australia where he is actually residing to be with his daughter in her last moments. I know him from Vrindavan and he always was very nice to us.

Last night I saw him and I understand as a parent the grief that he is feeling. You are not meant to cremate your children, they should do it for you.

I want to share this realization about the mercy of the Spiritual Master towards his disciples. I'd noticed in many ocassions that even thought devotees left the movement and went back to material life somehow or other at the moment of death they have devotees with them.

I knew this devotee, Prema Prayojana from Argentina, disciple of Srila Prabhupada, who wasn't into devotional service anymore but he lived close to the temple in Ecuador. For Lord Balarama's appearance day he was walking towards his house when suddenly somebody stabbed him many times in his back. Prema crawled to the temple leaving a trail of blood on the way and he passed away at the temple door in the middle of a huge kirtan for Lord Balarama and with the devotees putting tulasi leaf in his mouth and garlands from the altar.

Sudama, Upendra and others also came back.

Let me pray that at the moment of death I can remember Sri Sri Radha-Shyam and be in association of devotees.

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

Very nice (and odd) story Atma. What ever progress we make is never forgotten.

Gauracandra

Bhagavad Gita 2.40

nehabhikrama-naso 'sti

pratyavayo na vidyate

sv-alpam apy asya dharmasya

trayate mahato bhayat

In this endeavor there is no loss or diminution, and a little advancement on this path can protect one from the most dangerous type of fear

Purport

Activity in krsna consciousness, or acting for the benefit of Krsna without expectation of sense gratification, is the highest trascendental quality of work. Even a small beginning of such activity finds no impediment, nor can that small beginning be lost at any stage. any work begun on the material plane has to be completed, otherwise the whole attempt becomes a failure. But any work begun in Krsna consciousness has a permanent effect, even though not finished. The performer of such a work is therefore not at a loss even if his work in Krsna consciousness is incomplete. One percent done in Krsna consciousness bears permanent results, so that the next beginning is from the point of two percent, whereas in material activity without a hundred percent success there is no profit. Ajamila performed his duty in some percentage of krsna conciousness, but the result he enjoyed at the end was a hundred percent, by the grace of the Lord. There is a nice verse in this connection in Srimad Bhagavatam (1.5.17):

tyaktva sva-dharmam caranambujam harer

bhajann apakvo 'tha patet tato yadi

yatra kva vabhadram abhud amusya kim

ko vartha apto 'bhajatam sva-dharmatah

"If someone gives up his occupational duties and works in Krsna consciousness and then falls down in account of not completing his work, what loss is there in his part? And what can one gain if one performs his material activities perfectly?" Or, as the Christians say, "What profiteth a man if he gain the whole world yet suffers the loss of his eternal soul?"

Material activities and their results end with the body. But work in Krsna conciousness carries a person again to Krsna conciousness, even after the loss of the body. At least one is sure to have a chance in the next life of being born again as a human being, either in the family of a great cultured brahmana or in a rich aristocratic family that will give one a further chance for elevation. That is the unique quality of work done in Krsna conciousness.

Dear devotees,

please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada and to the whole guru-parampara.

My name is Yashoda devi dasi.

Bhava prabhu, a disciple of Srila Prabhupada from Vancouver, starte the whole project on In memoriam which we all agree, is a wonderful program.

He had some FTP problems with updating, and also he is very buisy by preaching.

I was helping him a little bit, few years ago, on data research, which I am intending actually to start again.

I am sorry, that page was not updating for a very long time, which we will change now and regularly work on the project.

All suggestions we will consider. Any more ideas, text, name of the devotees you know that left, any data or dates, please send to yashoda_dd@inet.hr

Your servant, Yashoda devi dasi