IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mahak

guru tattwa essays (from Jatayu)

Rate this topic

GURU TATTWA ESSAYS

by mahaksadasa. 1995

We need not worry, for the Holy Names of the Lord have been made available at once to us to hear and chant, to remember, all by His Divine Grace, Srila Prabhupada. I recently analyzed what is meant by "His Divine Grace, Srila Prabhupada". "His" refers to the Supreme Personality of Godhead Who has sent to the world the embodiment of "Divine Grace" in the form of Srila Prabhupada. I propose that this is the proof of the status of Sri Gurudeva as shaktivesa avatar, proof that he is the incarnation of the internal pleasure potency of Sri Govinda, whose only purpose is to display his pastimes of displaying His pastimes, hoping to attract the fallen souls, hoping that we grab on to the lifeline.

Grammar! What a concept. When Srila Prabhupada uses a pronoun to describe Srimati Radharani or Srimati Sitadevi, the pronoun is always capitalized. I, however, may be offending my Guru Maharaja by not capitalizing pronouns used in substitution of his name. My reason is a personal one, as follows, and I ask the scholars who read here to correct this ignorance, if they would be so kind.

When Srila Prabhupada began his mission in the Western World, he came at the same time as hundreds of self advertized gods, such as Mehar Baba, Ramm Dass, Muktinanda, Yogananda, Yuktisvara, too many to name, yet they were all very willing to have their disciples capitalize their pronouns, even demanding. Srila Prabhupada was totally different, he declared his position as dasa dasa anudasa, and went on to thoroughly defeat all the false gods. He was very strong on this, and in my way in serving this held respect for Srila Prabhupada, the lower case I use to describe him is a double-capital, a garland placed at his feet.

Three points to consider:

1.) A bonafide spiritual master is self-effulgent, which means that he does not have to beg permission from any one or any foundation for the right to accept disciples. His acceptance of disciples comes from his following the order of his spiritual master only, regardless of the approval of anyone else. As demonstrated by Srila Prabhupada, such a person will not be affected by the criticisms of his godbrothers, and, although always wishing for their support, he is not dependant of such. The disciples who accept such a person as their link to the parampara also will not care for the criticisms of his godbrothers, nor will they seek them out for approval of his version, otherwise, they have no guru. This goes for those who sought out Srila Prabhupada's godbrothers for verification of his version, by doing so, they reject him. All those, therefore, seeking to accept someone as their diksa guru, should be very sure of what they are doing. One of the qualities of one "heavily laden with prema-bhakti, love of Sri Krsna" is that such a person has been convinced of the message of his guru maharaja, so much so, that he is able to convince others. When they come to him, he accepts, not necessarily because he wants followers, rather that he knows from conviction, that these folks MUST accept a bonafide spiritual master. The acceptance of disciples is an act of humility, for a true guru knows he is lower than the straw in the street, he also truely believes that those who approach him are much more spiritually advanced than himself, he is the personification of the purport of Sri Siksastakam.

2.) Those who have accepted the "post" of guru through the mechanitions of an ecclesiastic system, and act the part as if it were a job, are not self-effulgent, for without being propped up by the organization, they do not have a job. This is materialistic religion only, and has little value to one who wants it all, wants to attain what his bonafide spiritual master has. Appointed, elected, official, accepted by dint of application qualification, etc., all nonsense, and not supported by guru-shastra-sadhu.

3.) Those who have adopted a form of religion to preserve the teachings of a bonafide spiritual master have honestly attempted to be pleasing to their Gurus. Lord Jesus Christ approved of this type of religion, as he stated that St. Peter is the foundation of his teachings, as Srila Prabhupada stated that ISKCON is the foundation for the propagation of Krsna Consciousness. But neither pure lover of God accepts development of such religious systems to deviate from the teachings one iota. Religion has it's place in the hearts of man, but historically, such systems have deteriorated into religions OF man. I sincerely believe that anyone can become a disciple of Lord Jesus Christ, and of Srila Prabhupada, but this, too, requires self effulgence rather than approval of any foundation. The system of siksa acting as preceptor between disciple and diksa is a bonafide system established by Srila Prabhupada, yet how can one receive diksa initiation? Such an act is one of reciprocation, not simply "I accept you as Gurudeva", but must be coupled with him accepting disciple and accepting service from, and promising Sri Govinda to deliver such a sincere soul back to Godhead.

I admit my disqualifications, but I also know that we must not use our minds to compare acaryas. This will only disturb our own spiritual growth. Srila Prabhupada's godbrothers did this, and thus displeased their guru maharaja. They criticized Srila Prabhupada for accepting Brahmacarinis, a term previously unknown. They said he was concocting his own philosophy for only having his disciples chant 16 rounds (Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura required his disciples to chant 32, Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura, 64.) This criticism is the sign of envy only, because the bonafide Vaisnava Acarya only has to please Sri Govinda, and if he requires a disciple to chant only a half round, he nonetheless engages such a fortunate soul in the process of sadhana bhakti, for the previous day, the soul couldn't even utter Harinama at all.

Blind rejection is as bad as blind faith, and the criteria that should be used to help one choose whom to hear the Lord's Version from is not the opinions of others. Lord Jesus Christ, when questioned on how we are to know if the one we are hearing from is from The Supreme Father or just a worldly person, His answer is the key for us all on the Guru-Tattwa issue, "Only if the disciple is doing the will of the Supreme Father will He know if I am from Him, it is not possible, otherwise.You will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." Guru is the Lord in the heart, Sri Sesa Balarama, Shastra is the written word, so kindly shared with us westerners by His Divine Grace Srila Prabhupada, and sadhu is the lovers of God throughout history who provide leadership, example and guidance through their mercy, headed by their greatest associate, Srila Prabhupada. It is up to the disciple to guage one they choose to hear from by the teachings of Srila Prabhupada, Sri Sesa Balarama (Lord Nityananda Prabhu, the original spiritual master), and the sruti and smriti, revealed truth. Thus, it is the disciple only who decides true Guru-Tattwa.

If one fits within such criteria, such a person should be accepted as bonafide spiritual master and served with rapt attention, regardless of how the people in general feel about it.

Purport of this article is simply this. Yoga is successful when one becomes self realized, to worry unnecessarily about another's spiritual progress is of no value, and only meant for when one actually decides to take the plunge and become guru. Then, to worry about disciples spiritual well being is assigned duty, but otherwise, just "neti, neti". Haribol, dear readers, we all should know what age we live in. I'd like for us to all get along, I'd like for all 10,000 of Srila Prabhupada's disciples to become bonafide spiritual masters in their own rights, without bickering, because that would be most pleasing to him.

GURU TATTWA PT 2

Guru means lover of God. When one loves God, (s)he naturally gives to others the love experianced. But there is a limitation, that is, one cannot give something they do NOT have. A disciple can rise to the level of an inexperianced "guru" very quickly, therefore it is of tantamount importance that the guru never stop being disciple himself.

While on kanistha level, one cannot see uttama. Proper behavior is to hear from authority who is uttama, that is it. Authority of empowerment is evident by dint of one being servant of authority, who is servant of authority, and so on. There is no guru who doesn't have Guru, because connection to parampara is not there. Even Lord Jesus Christ taught this primary lesson, much to the surprise of John, His brother. Sri Chaitanya and Sri Sri Krsna Balarama, Visnu tattva, had gurus.

A true story is presented here for example:

Problems arose from not knowing where to send one who reached my level of advancement. At that point, I stood naked before them, and had to tell them that I cannot help them over the anarthas (roadblocks) that I myself could not seem to tackle. They rejected me, and became avowed enemies, just like a marriage made in hell, and rightly so. I was the responsible one at the onset of the relationship, and I did not care for the instructions of my Guru Maharaja. I preached that three of the four regulative principles were better than none, which may be correct, yet the one allowed, intoxication, destroyed their mercy as well as mine. Without mercy, ther is no guru, no disciple, just pretense. I'm older and wiser, and have been reformed enough to know that to follow the four regulative principles is but ONE instruction, not four separate ones, and deviation only brings one closer to death, that is, wastes time.

As the king takes on the karma of his subjects who have to work the system he has created for them, I approach aparadha by laying a guilt trip on the leaders of other movements. By not keeping our Father's preaching aparatus strong and failing to set the example of the Founder Acarya, "ringing the bell at the proper time", we set the stage for increase in psuedo religiosity. By pasting the extra two false arms on (like Paundraka) and masquerading ourselves as acarya, we cheapen the process. Our continuing arrogance, especially in regard to non-recognition and non-respect of other disciples, makes other paundrakas look attractive, our closed-mindedness to cooperative dialogue to re-establish the movement causes others to seek spiritual leadership elsewhere. And, though some devotees do not like to hear me take blame for the inherant problems of a society that I have not been affiliated with for a quarter of a century, I nevertheless take a heap of blame, because I was initiated to carry on the parampara, and I let my Guru Maharaja down. The fact that I do not know where to send my disciples once they have reached my level of advancement only indicates that I am stagnant, have not accepted Srila Prabhupada fractionally compared to the extent that he has accepted me. The blame rests entirely on me. The following song is submitted to express these feelings:

DREAD RASA -c-1983-mahaksadasa

The greatest opportunity that one can have has slipped right through my fingers. Despite obtaining knowledge, beauty and fame, power and wealth, as well as aloofness from it all, by failing to build on a solid foundation of honesty, cleanliness, austerity, and mercy, my home has been destroyed and I do not know where to go. Fear and dread rasa has overcome me. The acaryas were instructed to take me to my honor. The light from their association illuminated the path. The mercy of the grace of the Supreme Source of Life, for no apparent reason, chose me as His very own. I was given the sword of Indra and the shield of Shiva to wage the battle against Death. The Lord Himself, in the form of Sri Chaitagurudeva, accepted the post as my chariot driver to drive me through the field of powerful adversaries, Anger, Greed, and Envy. Yet, when I was to take advantage of the fortune I had at my disposal, I took shelter of my ignorance.

I had weapons, but I ran unarmed into battle.

I had a trove of gems and opals, but I collected broken glass.

I bathed in the purest of waters, but then I rolled upon the dirt.

The one who loves me more than himself is the one who I betrayed.

There was shelter from the storm, but I froze out in the rain.

There was opportunity for honor, but I languish in my shame.

Blind, diseased and feeble, there is only me to blame.

So darkness surrounds this burnt out star.

Fire burns the wasted weeds.

I hear the dogs are barking, will they drag me into hell?

I could have saved the world, but it did not suit me well.

I could not adjust to a very simple thing.

Is it really all that difficult just to dance and sing?

The black smoke rises up above my head,

It must be time to leave, because that body is dead.

I am being dragged by a silver thread,

To hear the judgement read.

I am LIABLE for damages for all the things I said.

I am thrown into the prison for the foolish life I've led.

I seemed to hate my savior, this is why his body bled.

I never seemed to care, REAL tears I did not shed.

I never cleared the way, so there is trouble up ahead.

Tough song to sing, but the true story. The symptom of Sri Gurudeva is deliverance of his disciple to parampara. Srila Prabhupada never initiated anyone whom he did not place at the feet of his Guru Maharaja, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura. His disciples, who FOLLOW his example, act in the same manner and place their disciples at his feet. If we find ourselves independant of this philosophy, we run unarmed into battle, without protection of the living Vaisnava Acaryas with the UNBROKEN connection to actual Prema-bhakti. At that point, we reform, if not, we just become the nineties-version of Satya Sai Baba, Ramm Dass, Mukti-bhuktinanda, and the rest of the symptomatic, yet unconnected, gurus.

"By my order, become Guru". I fully understand that Srila Prabhupada instituted a proxy initiation system because of the sheer number of followers. I also know that he desires that we continue to progress in the science that he causelessly delivered, intact, to us, most unfortunate and confused disciples. Srila Prabhupada depends on his senior disciples to act as kindhearted big brothers to those less experianced. And, as sometimes be the case, the younger can teach the oldtimers a thing or two because we come with so much unwanted baggage, so many unbreakable habits, (i.e. the desire to exploit, desire to amass fortune, fame and followers, etc.). However, he also expects us all to become dhira, as Sri Arjuna becomes dhira when he restrings Ghandiva on the Kuruksetra Plain. Thus unconfused, a disciple is qualified to make disciples all over the world, not by appointment, not by demoniac, materialistic electorial process, but by dint of "following" the order of Sri Gurudeva.

The main point needs to be understood, and that is there is a difference between appointed and ordered. There is no evidence whatsoever that any of Srila Prabhupada's disciples did not receive his order to become guru. Therefore, because our lives will be forever incomplete if we fail to follow his order, it is imperative that we know what is guru. We must know the chain of events that lead one to approach a bonafide spiritual master as well as the linkage that takes place from disciple to Guru to Gauranga. So, to close this section of this essay, I humbly present the following paragraphs of some of the Teachings of Lord Jesus Christ concerning guru-tattwa. These teachings clearly establish the linkage between Sri Guru and Sri Gauranga, the empowerment by the Supreme Lord of both Guru and disciple, and indicate the will of Gurudeva for the disciple to likewise be empowered representative of the Supreme Father's Will, that His children return back Home, Back to Godhead.

YOGA OF SRI GURUDEVA (Matt 10:25-30)

Lord Jesus Christ Prayed, "I praise You, Abah (Father), Lord of heaven and earth, because You hide from the learned scholars while revealing Yourself to the poor and needy. You have turned everything over to the Son, and nobody knows the Son except the Father, nor does anybody know the Father except the Son and those with ears to hear from the Son and are pleasing to the Son. All you poor and needy, come to the Son and I will refresh you. Take My Yoke (Yoga) upon you and learn from Me, because I am meek and modest and you may confide in Me. My Yoke is comfortable and My load is light."

Comment: This is a lesson of "gurudeva patita pavana". Guru's yoke is Yoga, His relationship with the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and His desire is that the poor and needy share in the comfort of this relationship. The connection, yoke, yoga, linkage, is available to all, but only the vanquished can surrender. Those cursed with matter addiction (karmis), self-importance from academic success (jnanis), or mystic imitation of the Supreme Lord (yogis) do not attend the festivities of His calling, by their own foolish choices, thus Lord Jesus Christ is truely patita pavana, dearmost friend of those bereft of material fortune.

CHALLENGING THE AUTHORITY OF SRI GURUDEVA (Mark 11: 27-33)

The scholars, elders and priests were questioning Lord Jesus Christ thus: "Who gives You the power to do these things?" He responded, "I will answer on the condition you answer whether the baptism of John is heaven-sent or of human origin?"

The church leaders conferred among themselves, deciding both possible answers threatened their positions. Heaven-sent meant they denied the Will of the Supreme, human origin meant that they were to be attacked by the people, so they diplomatically answered, "We cannot tell."

Lord Jesus Christ then said, "Then I won't tell you either."

Comment: The lesson here is that authority of Gurudeva is never discussed among the faithless.

IMPARTIAL, UNIVERSAL LOVE OF SRI GURUDEVA (Matt 8: 5-13)

As Lord Jesus Christ entered Capernaum, a Roman officer approached and requested His healing mercy. He agreed, and began following him, but the official said, "My Dear Lord, I have folks who are required to follow my orders, but You, Sir, are much beyond this realm. I do not deserve Your mercy, but, if You wish, say only the word and my son will be healed."

The Lord said to His followers, "I have not seen such trust in all of Judea. I predict that folks from East and West will dine with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, with My Father, but for those who may think that the Spiritual Realm belongs to a segment of society will be left in darkness. Go, My friend, your son is well and awaiting your arrival."

Comment: Sri Gurudeva comes to give Love of God to all without discrimination, he is never bound by sectarian ideas or imprisoned by the cultural bars of the ignorant.

EMPOWERMENT OF THE DISCIPLE (Matt 16: 15-19)

One day, Lord Jesus Christ asked His disciples, "Who do the people say that I am?" Looking to Simon Peter, He asked, "Who do you say I am?" Simon responded, "You are the annointed one, the Son of the Living Lord."

In response, The Lord said, "You are to be congratulated, Simon, son of Jonah, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father. You are the foundation of My mission that no one can overcome, and you possess the keys to both the eternal and temporal kingdoms. But you must not tell others that I am the annointed, for they must come to Me in the same way."

Comment: Only by the grace of God, one gets Guru. This is actual guru-tattwa, no appointment, election or permission needed, this is the empowerment of the disciple by the Supreme Lord Himself to have the ears to hear from His representative, purchased by the sincerity of the disciple alone.

BY THE GRACE OF GOD......(John 5: 60-65)

A certain teaching of Lord Jesus Christ caused some of the followers to question the content. Some grumbled that the teachings were offensive. The Lord knew who the grumblers were, and pointed out this fact: "This is why I told you. People cannot come to Me unless My Father has granted this."

Comment: This clear description of the fact, "By the grace of God, one gets guru", indicates that the sincerity of the disciple is absolutely necessary in the equasion called guru-tattwa. After this event, many of those who were pretending to follow, attracted by populist notions, left Him for good. He then asked His apostles, "Do you want to leave Me too?" Their response was evidence that their attraction to guru was based on the prerequisite sincerity, that the Supreme Father Himself empowered not only His Son to be Guru, but also empowered the disciples to hear from Him.

THE WILL OF THE SUPREME FATHER (John 7: 6-18)

The Judeans, always criticizing Lord Jesus Christ, were quite amazed at His preaching skills. Some said, "Here is a good man", while others scoffed, calling Him a cheater. They were thus fighting among themselves about His position. He then delivered a powerful lecture that stunned them all. They asked Him, "You are uneducated, how can You be so articulate?" The Lord responded, "What I am teaching does not originate from Me but with He Who sent Me. Anyone who does the Will of My Father knows well enough whether this teaching originates with God or whether I am speaking on My own authority. All who speak on their own authority are after praise for themselves. But for he who is only concerned with the praise of the One Who sent Him-He is truthful, there is nothing false about Him."

Comment: This is a clear, truthful description of Sri Gurudeva. He gives what He has been given, intact. His mastery is proven by His service, thus disciplic succession is the true guru-tattwa.

THE GLORY FROM THE FATHER (John 8: 54)

"If I were to glorify Myself, that glory of Mine would mean nothing. But, in fact, My Father glorifies Me, and all who do His Will will see this relationship."

Lord Jesus Christ spoke these words to the masses who would do Him harm, those too conditioned to doing their own wills to be eligible for spiritual life. Similarly, if we so choose to remain entangled by our own desires, Guru remains unavailable, the lack of sincerity prevents one from associating with Guru, and all "official" gurus such materialists may "honor", by show only, have no empowerment to deliver. A bonafide spiritual master and the bonafide disciple are never separated, any such separation exists only in the imagination of the pretenders.

The sadhu, Lord Jesus Christ, actually teaches us all, as does Srila Prabhupada and His bonafide disciples, that YOGA means relationship, devoid of any ideas of lonliness. There is no possibility of being alone if one sincerely attempts to do the Will of the Supreme Person, for Guru Tattwa immediately takes place upon sincere desire to please Him, Sri Gurudeva becomes available at once to such fortunate souls who have become alive by the sounds of Harinama.

GURU TATTWA (PT 3)

Srila Prabhupada is doing everything on behalf of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakur. He is never independant of his Guru Maharaja's desire. We may say, "I am a servant of Sri Krsna", but is this our line, is this our parampara? It may well be adhira, if not pretense. Parampara is dasa dasa anudasa, service to the parampara itself, there is no independance. Mistaken ideas in this regard causes one who fails to understand "on behalf of", prone to think that he is direct link to the Supreme Lord for everyone, thus such capricious and arbitrary action occurs, such as the sad chain of events we see in our history, especially mine, as recited in part 2. Abuse of authority comes when one falsely claims to be guru without ever being disciple. A true disciple NEVER is independant from Gurudeva, no matter how advanced he may be. To directly witness Srila Prabhupada's attitude in this regard, I recommend that all try to hear his classes delivered in 1969 and 1973 on the occasion of the departure of his guru-maharaja.

I have always approached "Sri Rasa-Lila" chapter of the Krsna Book with caution. I never thought I was qualified to hear, lest I misunderstand. So I fall on my face with tears in my eyes that I am included in this pastime by appreciation of talks between Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and Srila Ramananda Raya. I am overwhelmed by the description of the relationship between Sri Madhavendra Puri and Sri Isvara Puri. I am never left out in the cold. I approach Gauranga-lila through the mercy of the Six Goswamis, who can be seen through the poetry of Krsnadasa and Srila Narottamadasa Thakur, whose sentiments are sung without omission by Srila Bhaktivinode. Srila Prabhupada gives us the whole plate of never-ending Prasadam, the best halavah and sweet rice, the subjhi cooked to perfection by the most qualified brahmana. Parampara is intact due to each Sriman Gurudeva giving more and more.

I have read some who say Srila Prabhupada is saktivesa avatar. I say absolutely, but if someone says he is visnu-tattwa, I take offense. The reason being is that he always wants, as does Lord Jesus Christ always want, us to become like them. If Lord Jesus or Srila Prabhupada are Visnu-tattwa, such instruction becomes meaningless and smacks of mayavada philosophy. All rasa is destroyed by such artificial deification, for if the Son and the Father are the same, there is no relationship, there is neither son nor father. Without acintya-bheda-bheda-tattwa, there can be no discussion of visnu-tattwa nor can guru-tattwa be well understood. Only adhira is evident.

Understand what is meant by diksa, a personal COMMITMENT to disciple, know how deep his LOVE for us is. The quest for initiation, while not disrespected by this writer, must not get in the way of what is meant by real initiation. Initiation is not membership, it is promise to reciprocate commitment. All I did was cause disturbance, because those who expected me to be preceptor soon understood that I was unwilling to COMMIT myself to them despite their lack of progress.

This is the difference between a bonafide spiritual master, mahabhagavata, uttama-adhikari, and one who wants to be, yet falls short. We should all be aspiring to be just like Srila Prabhupada, and success will be when we can even forego our own spiritual life, such as He did by leaving Vrndavandhama to come to us, and COMMIT, in service to Sri Sri Guru and Gauranga, to the suffering masses, to engage them in this wonderful Samkirtana, to become a selfless diksa guru and take RESPONSIBILITY for their Krsna Consciousness. In short, we must COMMIT ourselves, in the service to Srila Prabhupada, to the poor souls in every town and village, to give them Harinama.

The fact of the matter is this. Every one of Srila Prabhupada's disciples, no matter what condition of life they were in, are in, or will be in, have the eternal opportunity to follow in the footsteps of Srila Prabhupada at any time. This does not mean imitate, but can mean they may accept disciples and act as diksa in their own right. At any time, we may freely choose to FOLLOW, and at that time may be immediately cleansed of all their unwanted burdens of impious mistakes. We MUST understand the potency of the HOLY NAMES of the Supreme Lord.

To accept the devotional service to act as diksa is not an ego trip, nor is it a cool thing to do. It is actually the most difficult service one may perform, and is done in extreme humility, and ALL who accept this service in such a state of mind deserve all respect from the assembled devotees. Such a person promises Sri Krsna to forego his rewards for his Krsna Consciousness until all his disciples become pure Vaisnavas, thus the warning against accepting disciples is contained in Shastra. Srila Prabhupada is very clear in this matter, he is very clear expressing his desire to reclaim his fallen disciples, he is very clear in fulfilling his promise to appear to us eternally in his instructions, coming to us often in dreams even while we are acting so demoniac. I myself am living proof of this potency of my Guru Maharaja, because I always drift away, but he never lets me go.

His disciples, who, on the strength of the teachings of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu contained in His Sri Siksastakam, decide to take on this "HEAVY" bhakti yoga practice of becoming Diksa and continuing the pure line of Parampara, deserve nothing but my heartfelt obiesancies. I will not accept this service at this time, I have too many flaws, and even though approached, I must defer. I can and do accept the position of siksa because that is MY PROMISE to my Diksa, as well as an act of respect to all my siksas.

There is nothing we have done to warrant our acceptance by Sri Gurudeva, thus the words "causeless mercy" are used to describe initial linkage. We walk on the streets of Armageddion and we see one who may be a friend. He exhibits symptoms of Vaisnava, and we are attracted. He gives, on behalf of his Gurudeva, raja-vidya. We take a little, our taste increases, GRADUAL PROCESS, (How many times does this phrase appear in Srila Prabhupada's books?), Who is this person? He loves Sri Krsna. He gives Sri Krsna. He is Sri Gurudeva. Siksa. His teachings ultimately lead us to the feet of his Gurudeva, who leads us to the feet of his Gurudeva, and so on. In the event that Siksaguru's Gurudeva is still serving on this plane, Siksa will arrange for one to accept initiation from His Gurudeva. If siksa guru is in separation from his diksaguru due to maha-samadhi, in service to Parampara, will become Diksa himself, or may not choose to formalize relationship via initiation. This is service, perfromed without false prestiege or desire for adulation. To accept the order to be Guru means to give the order, and one should not think that Diksa and Siksa are different, in purpose. Both are directly engaged by Sesa Balarama, Sri Chaitagurudeva. Never has a bonafide guru existed without direct empowerment by this process. As he tastes, he distributes.

"You are the seasoning of the world, the residents can only benefit from your presense. If you lose your flavor, you are rejected, thrown away and trampled underfoot, and considered worthless." Lord Jesus Christ is here describing the qualities of one who has accepted the order. Those who cannot forget Gurudeva, even though they have often tried, are the world's seasoning, and have every ability to expand this great movement that can save the poor sleepers. What more guruship could any of us desire.

GURU-TATTWA Pt. 4

I do agree that one should follow in the footsteps of Srila Prabhupada, especially in regard to the eventuality that one takes on the extra duties of initiating disciples. Srila Prabhupada's concern was that we refrain from such activity while he was with us, that we should lead our disciples to him for initiation. Fact is, whether we like it or not, we all have disciples, those who choose to hear from us. When we speak, we should be seeking methodology of trying to inject Vaisnava principles and realizations into everyday conversation with the people in general. If not, we are just making useless noise, better to practice mauna (silence).

Srila Prabhupada clearly states that those who tell others of the taste of prasadam at a Sunday Feast are preachers to the highest degree, and his only recommendations on how far we take our preaching activities are not to preach to those who reject (pearls before swine) and not to preach above our levels of realization. In other words, if one doesn't know he is not the body, do not try to talk about the gopis (or even God, for that matter). When I opine about one who begins a preaching mission, and his subsequent right to accept disciples, I state that his proof of bonafidelity (there goes mahaksadasa, making up words again, but I really like the word "bonafidelity") is how he is pleasing to his bona fide spiritual master.

In the old days, when Srila Prabhupada was still giving darsana here, some of his disciples did not want to remain subserviant, creating their own form of so-called bhakti. They changed their own names (that were given by HDGSP) to new, "better ones" like Indra and Siva, no dasa following. Their activities were, IMHO, truely sahajiya, the tears were contrived, a show only. They held kirtanas, but all glory was stolen to shine around their personalities. And, yes, fools fell for it, and the joints were passed around, the acid was taken, and the tears truely flowed, and the tunes were quite catchy. It was a show of monkeys at the zoo. And, of course, the orgies followed. The only thing missing was the service to Sri Sri Guru and Gauranga. They are all gone now, either dead from STD's or bad drugs, or born again so-called Christian Republicans bent on murdering innocent Iraqis. Krsna was just a trip of the sixties, like jefferson airplanes.

Yet, there is still the duty of carrying on parampara, by following the order of Sri Sri Guru and Gauranga, by becoming guru and saving the sleepers. And, though the guru MUST instruct the disciple to pay obiesance to gurudeva (if he doesn't accept obiesancies, how will his disciples follow guru-shastra-sadhu instruction to do so), he must always set the example of Sri Siksastakam, as did Srila Prabhupada. Two verses from "Mercy Ship", a song previously sung here, can give better purport than a new paragraph:

All the holy men came to show the way

Many people listened to what they had to say

Some of them insane, some went to other things

Did not know the difference between soldiers and kings

But You did not come to advertize Your name

You had no pressing need, no desire for selfish fame

You had what YOU WERE GIVEN, and to me You bring

Matchless gifts if I would only dance and sing

The Vaisnava Acarya advertizes The Supreme Lord, not himself. His fame comes by Sri Govinda's reciprocation, and if fame is not there, he is NOT IN ANXIETY over it, because he knows his guruship is part and partial to the Supreme Lord's desire, as Chaitagurudeva, who leads disciples to him without extraneous effort. Lord Jesus Christ is example, replying "Only Abbah is good", deferring praises to His Father. Srila Prabhupada succinctly followed suit, always saying, "I am but an old man" and "I am not perfect, but the message I give is perfect, that is my only perfection". Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, the incarnation of Sri Sri Radha Krsna, and fully cognizant of that fact, nevertheless, as example, covered His ears and ran away from those who refered to His Visnu Tattva feature, for it was rasa bhasa (conflicting to the flavor He incarnated specifically to taste). The point is, Srila Prabhupada, though accepting guru-puja as duty (Sanatana Dharma), did NOT pose himself as the all in all. He was given Krsna by his guru, and worshipped them both as connected in YOGA, and he delivers to us the same. When we FOLLOW, we see them connected in YOGA, we pray all glories to Sri Sri Guru and Gauranga, non-separate.

Guru job ain't easy, if one does take on this bhakti, he must not play the object of worship, or he will mislead those who came to him in good faith. When disciple becomes purified by the holy names, he gradually realizes the link between Guru and Gauranga, and their non-separation (acintya-bheda-bheda-tattwa).

As far as the works of my fellow disciples go, I do not possess, therefore cannot judge. Articles presented herein show that it is possible that one or more, or even many, disciples of Srila Prabhupada are capable of becoming bonafide spiritual masters in their own right, and have been initiated to do just that, otherwise Srila Prabhupada had no need to even speak to us. As far as individuals who attempt to give Krsna to others, cheaters and those desiring to be cheated naturally attract, and the bond cannot be broken because of their affinity toward one another, so we need not make them our business, unless we wish to defeat their proposals (in which case, we become guru of both). We can take great relief to know that Sri Sesa Balarama, Nityananda Prabhu, is busy seeing to it that attraction takes place between the Vaisnava Acarya and his bonafide disciple as well.

Words, words, words, but what else can I do. I repeat another devotee's sentiments that the words of the disciples of a bonafide spiritual master are most inspiring, so helpful in my daily attempts to speak on behalf of my Guru Maharaja, not just here to the choir, but to all who happen to have their ears in my way. Prasadam is tasty, that is how I preach, sharing lasagna offered to the Lord to workmates. If talks about UFO's takes place, I talk about Lord Brahma, not just the four-direction one, I give tribute to the speculative quantum physics speculators by verifying that there are dimensions with millions of directions, as verified by the million faced Lord Brahma. Srila Prabhupada gives us so much, how can we keep quiet?

GURU TATTWA (pt 5.)

Why do those tell the world they act responsibly while they abuse their authority? xxx-dasa was, though not top dog, in position of responsibility in heirarchy, yet his motivations and cheating propensity caused much damage to those who became involved with him. I tried to warn another who was cheated by the guy, he did not listen, and much laxmi was lost. He even stole the company name and abused and embarassed the movement by doing so. Long story, past tense, hope he has reformed, at least to the point of not misleading others. Point is, sincere disciples suffered at the hands of those who were cheap imitators, I am God-ers posing as devotees. New disciples were treated like slaves to be the mules for Coker/Beamer lifestyles. We cannot hate, rather be thankful that we weren't given initiation at the expense of being in their cartels, being in their maha-aparadha.

This guru issue is quite touchy. To those who read that one must approach a spiritual master, accept initiation from and render serevice to such, should also understand that this is a marriage, not to be thrown away casually. Just as one who hastily married only to find out that the person is not what (s)he seems, and needs a lawyer soon to dissolve the union, one who later finds out that they chose a teacher/master who cannot deliver the nectar that one is truely anxious for has to undergo much mental turmoil.

We all read uttama, madhya, and kanistha, and set our minds accordingly, thinking we can see all three. Fact is, only madhyam-adhikari can see all three. From the madhyam platform only can one effectively preach, accept disciples, carry on this movement. The uttama-adhikari is beyond all this, for he does make any distinction between devotee and demon, rat, dog, and pig, for that matter, for he only sees everyone IN their constitutional position. Such a person, fixed up in devotional service, as an act of humility befitting only a pure Vaisnava, will accept the madhyam platform, and act the role of making distinction, just to teach. He gives up the holy dhama where he resides and enters the world of distinction to give Sri Govinda to the masses of sleepers.

A kanistha-adhikari can preach, and can influence others, in regard to pure devotional service, but he should understand first that he must be proper disciple, admitting to himself that he can be misled, that he can mistake a demon for a devotee, in other words, must not falsely convince himself that he has advanced. As stated in scripture, "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." This puts us in awkward position. If we kanisthas cannot distinguish between demon and devotee, how can we accept a bonafide spiritual master? There is a lot more to it than being in a building for six months and pledging allegiance to an acronym, it takes real self-realization, connecting to Sri Chaitagurudeva, who will lead one to a bonafide representation of Himself, the Vaisnava Acarya. How do we connect with the Lord in the Heart?, chant His Names. The process works, guaranteed by guru, shastra, and sadhu. Smoke clears, fire become visible.

Temple life is not seen as very great in this age, following religious principles is dry in itself, leaving false renunciate empty. Sitting solitary in meditation is impossible in this age of nonsense NOISE. The process that WORKS in regard to self-realization, Krsna Consciousness, is Harinama, Harinama, Harinama, eva kevalam, Kalau nasteva, nasteva, nasteva, gatih anyatha. The Holy Names of the Supreme Lord, ALONE, render all benediction upon the living beings. "By Your Holy Names will we be set free." Emphasis is always on the Holy Names of Sri Govinda. Collecting Laxmi for temples may have value, but if one cannot sing Harinama, what is the use. Living in temples is good association, but not because of the gossip thrown there, it's value is determined if one is inclined to utter Harinama in such association. Preaching about God is much better than yakkin' nonsense, but if the hearer of such preaching is not inclined to utter the Names of Sri Krsna, the preaching has no effect and served little purpose.

I guarantee for you all, by information contained in the merciful guru-shastra-sadhu, that a mansion exists for each of us in our Father's Kingdom. Guru-tattva political? In Kali, yes, of course. So we have here a station that boldly discusses, WITHOUT GETTING ANGRY, both religious thought (sanatana-dharma) and the present "politics" that surrounds us all.

Recognizing that my opponant is a resident of the above mentioned mansion, I can still state that I am a left-winger, liberal. I hold Srila Prabhupada as my political science mentor and example/acarya, for he liberally distributed his matchless gifts without discrimination. Some call him conservative, a term which made him cringe, because he had conservative ideas pertaining to family values. Yet, these feelings were beyond the so-called liberal/conservative platforms of today. He was on the side of the unborn, yet fully cognizant, living being, offering protection to those who had none. Pro-choice has come to mean attacking one who is in the human form of life. Needless to say, without extending this angle too far, I tend to say that I may not have anything in common with the right wingers out there at all, yet we both can engage in Krsna Consciousness. Karna, Drona, Bhisma, even Duryodhana, were uttama-adhikari, actually engaged in Sri Govinda's pastimes, yet they were in opposition to the Glorious Pandava Brothers.

To those whose proposals are defeated herein, for a godbrother or godsister who offers mild reproach, one must give heartfelt thanks, for who else cares about you? We should feel fortunate that some take the time to correct us, lest we follow the mind's dictates. Vaisnavas cannot claim link to Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's sampradaya while neglecting His Siksastakam, especially the part about offering ALL respects to others without EXPECTING respect in return. Only then, can one chant Harinama constantly. We are guru to Our disciples and quite capable of bringing them to our level of advancement, but will alwats remain godbrothers and godsisters. If we take seriously our offenses against each other, then perhaps we take our guruship too seriously, forgetting that we are supposed to remain servant throughout. As far as defending our disciples, We naturally have affinity for them, but we teach them, as did Srila Prabhupada, proper behavior when dealing with our godbrothers and godsisters.

The part that I loved about temple life (sooo many years ago) was the morning classes. We all took turns, reading a verse from Bhagavad Gita, and "practicing" preaching with one another, using our own words, citing evidence from guru-shastra-sadhu, and awaiting response from our devotee hearers. Istagosthi is like this sweet engagement in Krsna Katha, and we anxiously await to have our positions defeated, just so we can "practice" to surrender, more and more. Reminds me of Sri Adwaita Acarya's sadness for always being "correct" in His preaching. He decided to speak the mayavada/smarta line in front of His Lord, Sri Gaurasundara, just for the wonderful chastisement that was about to take place.

We must not think that Vaisnavism is our's only, free websites are available if one wants to have such exclusivity of positions. My articles are written only for the consideration of the Vaisnava community, as I try to consider the points of every other article presented here. I am not so advanced to get insulted when I am called sahajiya, smarta, (or apostate by the christian community), actually I laugh for days at the monikers. And, I also recognize that some, maybe many, for many years, have taken to the process of hearing, chanting and remembering the Names of the Lord, possibly because of my preaching. Guru? By definition, yet I know that my priority is to be disciple.

Post Note:

As Srila Prabhupada declares Lord Jesus Christ "devotee of the Lord", let us not compare. The only problem with Christian thought over the years is it lacks acintya-bheda-bheda-tattva understanding, therefore confusion abounds. However, armed with the Bhagavad Gita As It Is, a little understanding can take place. Need not argue 'bout it, though.

Guru Tattwa (part 6)

Congratulations to that Monkey still living in the high forest. He became eternal Friend without comparason to Lord Ramachandra only by the mercy of Srimati Sitadevi. He wanted impatiently to rescue Sita and kill Ravanna, and certainly could have without effort, but Srimati Sitadevi requested Him to work with Sri Rama, and this request is His eternal life and soul function. This forbearance demonstrates how one gets association with the Supreme Lord, by the grace of His internal potency representative. As far as His ability to destroy Ravana and his raksasa realm, this is not wonderful, for Srimati Sitadevi alone can destroy the three worlds Herself just by Her glance, including the Brahma who grants the demon's wish for immortality, not at all defenseless as Ravanna arrogantly speculated. She allows the pastime to take place in the sweet Service to Her Lord, (not to mention Her magnanimous service to His devotees).

We all MUST see that the squeeze is on, we are at the times that we have been fully armed to do battle in, whether on the fields of Kuruksetra, at the shores of South India looking seaward toward Lanka of the Waves, being surrounded by the Kazi's armed soldiers. We all take shelter of the FACT that we are NOT helpless. The help is in the Names of the Lord.

We CAN utilize these weapons at any time, their description is in the section of Nectar of Devotion entitled "Characteristics of Pure Devotional Service". First and foremost, we have to set our priorities. Rather than surrender to the endless concern about whether a fixed-up acarya can possibly fall to apostacy, we should turn our real concern to the provable fact that one in a fallen condition has the potential and the blessings necessary to attain the platform of first-class, fixed-up acarya. No one can deny this, to do so is to deny parampara.

Sri Gurudeva comes to deliver the fallen souls, if this were impossible, such an attempt at deliverance would be a foolish endeavor. Srila Prabhupada, without discrimination, delivers all comers, men, women, black, white, the whole family of humanity hears his song. The first step of deliverance, the Kanistha adhikari stage, is a platform of healing where relapse IS quite possible, especially if the medicine is not properly taken by the patient. While clearing the smoke of ages of forgetful insanity, one may feel the effect of the medicine and artificially step in front of Sri Sri Guru and Gauranga, developing a mistaken idea that he is spiritually advanced. To fall down from such illusory mastery of the clearing stage of bhakti is not only possible, but rather expected. We have all tasted such falldown, whether affiliated or otherwise. Yet, the FACT remains, Srila Prabhupada expects us to develop real attachment to the feet of Sri Sri Radha Govinda by adhering to the prescription of sadhana bhakti and making real advancement. Ideas that he can only deliver to the point of Maha-Visnu santa rasa are bogus, and are due only to the disciplic reluctance to take the above described weapons.

To be Srila Prabhupada's bonafide successors, the characteristics of the Madhyama adhikari stage must be ingrained, spontaneous attraction to the Name, Fame, Pastimes, and Associates of the Supreme Lord must be evident. From this platform, there is no possibility for a falldown by definition, all attachments for the tools of the illusory energy are seen as worthless. (Like Sri Hanumana, still runs through the trees like a monkey, but his breathing at exhaustion is "RAMA, RAMA, RAMA".)

Kanisthas are ill-equipped to understand, we cannot judge behaviorial traits of the madhyama adhikaris, we cannot even truely know the imitators, yet we do have the above mentioned potential and blessings of Srila Prabhupada needed to attain Krsna Bhava without pretension, without artificiality, without leaving Sri Sri Guru and Gauranga behind us. Sri Krsna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu prays, always, as example, The Siksastakam, "Oh My Lord, Your Holy Names Alone....". Disciples and followers of Srila Prabhupada are fully armed for the troubles ahead by the strength of these eight verses alone. Deliverance is there for the taking, but, unfortunate as we are, we have no attraction.

Anyway, I, myself, am not afraid of the Padre Pio or Marion Prophecies, have no trouble believing that Gordon Michael Scallion's future world geography is fully accurate, not forgetting hearing from the lips of the greatest prophet, Srila Prabhupada, about the inevitability of global nuclear war. My fear is getting up from this computer chair and going out and having another near-death-experiance that I don't come out of, hovering in a ghostlike state until I transcend this aging corpse surrounding this real self. My fear is to run, unarmed, into battle, knowing that I left behind, VICTORY, in the form of Sri Siksastakam, in the form of matchless gifts available by uttering His Holy Names,

Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna,

Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare

Hare Rama, Hare Rama,

Rama Rama, Hare Hare.

The devotee who FOLLOWS THE ORDER of Sri Gurudeva, unflinchingly, and without regard to the opinions of others, is the one most pleasing to Sri Gurudeva, and this pleasure is not subject to the conjecture of those outside the special GURU-DISCIPLE relationship. The Pleasure of Guru is reflected in disciple, so much so, that he has the medicine for others, he is capable physician to heal the injuries of forgetfulness we all have. Disciplic Succession is ensured.

INITIAL INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE SPIRIT GUIDE

Sri Gurudeva is the One, who, on the very first contact by the individual sincerely seeking guidance to the Absolute Truth, tells all that needs to be done to attain the highest prefection. For no apparant reason, such a person appears at a time when the Bhakta is at the lowest position, in thew darkest hour, in the midst of calamity. You are hearing from one who has no disciples. I have stories of calamitous failures and stories of success i lay at the feet of those who have cared enough about my welfare that they see fit to give matchless gifts.

Sri Nityananda Prabhu's devout ward, His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, has many disciples, ranging from bonafide spiritual masters in their own right to those who place their "Hare Krsna Experiance" in between the Jefferson Airplane and Disco Mania phases of their lives. The Uttama Adhikari makes no distinction between these disciples, theirfore the relationship is the responsibility of disciple. Srila Prabhupada teaches by His example. He cries wonderful tears as He remembers the disciple's service performed, always thanking them for helping Him please His Guru Maharaja. This personification of Sri Siksastakam establishes guru-tattwa as disciplic in nature.

Srila Prabhupada is not alone on a pedestal, He refuses such position, and when He teaches, He never says "I demand, I say, My position is as such." He has never relinquished His qualification as bonafide disciple of His Guru Maharaja, therefore, always cries, "Thank you very much for helping us spread this Krsna Consciousness Movement." The disciple who is helping Guru is guru-tattwa, this is disciplic succession.

As disciple and Gurudeva establish relationship, the initial request by the Acarya is serious and never to be given up under any circumstance. When one develops a little sincerity, Gurudeva (the unlimited variety) will be sent to help the person and provide what is necessary to turn the individual from nitya baddha to nitya siddha. The way a touchstone works, the stone has to touch, and the initial instruction takes place. This request is not to help build a house, raise funds for foundation, these later practical instructions are linked to the first instruction, which is to help the Vaisnava Acarya serve His Guru Maharaja and give Krsna Consciousness to the world's needy by first hearing, then chanting and remembering the Names, Form, Pastimes, and Associates of the Supreme Lord. Tell everyone about Krsna up to the level that we have understood, give to others as we have been given.

Subsequent instructions by such a lover and servant of the Supreme Lord are always linked in relationship to the initial teachings. When we take it upon ourselves to ask for such further instruction, it is of tantamount importance that we, too, do so in accordance with an understanding and rememberance of the first instructions, otherwise, we risk the danger of not actually having the sincerity needed to make advancement, thus we may risk the very relationship altogether. We may go out and totally absorb ourselves in the management issues or building projects, even the planning and providence of maha-festivals, yet if we are not taking the medicine the capable Physician first prescribed, trouble may be ahead. This is to not justify laziness in regard to Gurudeva's Preaching Mission, which needs practical hard work to fulfill His promise, (in other words, "im remembering the Lord, cannot milk the cows today" does not please Gurudeva, so the Lord we remember thus is an illusion, anyway.) But this is a caution against jumping the gun and making promises that cannot be kept. Gurudeva's promise is His life, and we help Him most to fulfill His promise by honestly complying with His requests, not picking and cvhoosing which instruction suits us best.

Gurudeva is found, always, in the ranks of humble disciples, He has no desire to be an ascended master. This idea is from other schools, philosophies that depend on the self to provide pleasure, depend on prestiege to succeed, have no use for the poor and needy, no tolerance for those who are sceptics, and no abilities to provide the nectar for which we are all anxious. The bonafide disciples that are helping Gurudeva spread this movement, attracting candidates for the matchless gifts to be distributed, these are the successors to Srila Prabhupada. To help them to be pleasing to Guru Maharaja is the most pleasing service to the Lord, and such pleasure of Sri Govinda is the sublime life promised. All glories to the Vaisnavas, the seasoning of the world.

Srila Prabhupada went through magnificent effort and great service to not only Sri Govinda, but for the entire Vaisnava Community for ages to come by publishing His Masterpiece Literature, find Guru-Tattwa clearly depicted there, see Arjuna fall down in nervous breakdown with no alternative but surrender to the will of the Supreme Lord, and, wow, it is getting clear, here is a nice Vaisnava not only offering me friendship, but giving me matchless gifts of the nectar for which I have always been anxious.

To the One who, I know, reads here, I offer heartfelt obiesancies. Your initial instructions are the gifts of life to the dead and dying. These gifts will be forever before me, and, though I admit they are still being opened and not yet fully appreciated, such kindness of a friend of the poor and needy cannot be adequately praised.

Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna, Krsna, Hare Hare,

Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.

Ys, mahaksadasa

It was pleasant to me, only last part Hardly to understand from behind bad transfer(translation) of engineering.

Actually Srila Prabhupad has devoted all in very raised service. It is felt, though devoted do not note it. Posted Image

It seems many who from the brothers SP simplly knock down devoted with sense, attracting their notice to the unripe understanding.

cmon, all that writin, and only one response? What about that stuff Lord Jesus says about who to hear from???

Oh well, long articles are kinda hard, so I guess they are equally difficult to comment on as well.

hare Krsna, yer surf ant. PS goin surfin, so ill see you fellow ships in a couple of weeks. mahak

Jagat kee hansaai kari Prabhu,hame to nachaay diyo,

Gavay diyo Gaun mai,Rubaay diyo seja pye,

Khwaai diyo naam ko bhoj,Pivaay diyo rashan ko naam,

Hare Krishan kavhai diyo,jahee to mariyaadaa hai./

Baansuri kee taan suni,Sakhiyan ko gaan suni,

Gauan ke gaam mai,Bachharan kee Rambhaani suni,

Gopi Gwal hansat jaat,Prabhu ki Muskaan dekhi,

Radha dulaari pyaari nand gaun kab aavegee.//