IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

Sri Chaitanya's avatara

Rate this topic

Here is something from B.V. Tirtha Maharaj from another list.

Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu Is Sri Krsna Himself

Some things which the followers of the Sri Madhava sampradaya have stated against some of the evidences given by others are true and some things are false. Let's look at the facts.

Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, after sanyasa, went to Jagannatha Puri and stayed there during His remaining years in this world. He travelled throughout India for 6 years - to South India and in the North.

Gaudiya Vaishnavas mainly lived in Gaura Mandal, Vraj Mandal and Ksetra Mandal. In Assam, Bengal, Bangladesh, Orssa, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, everyone knows and accepts Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. After Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and the Gosvamis of Vrndavan left this world, Srila Narrotama Das Thakur, Srinivas Prabhu, and Syamananda Prabhu carried on His mission preaching in Bengal, Assam, Manipur, Orrisa, etc. In all these places everyone knows who Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is, Radha-Krsna lila, Hare Krsna maha-mantra, in every village, everywhere. In South India there are fewer who are familiar with Mahaprabhu due to language barriers.

India at that time was under the law of the Muslim regime, which was characterised with fighting with and oppression of the Hindu majority. After the Muslim regime came British rule. During this period the growth of Vaisnava religion progressed slowly. The sadhus in Bengal, Orrisa and U.P., Rajasthan, preached in their own regions, not travelling to other parts. During this period Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura and Srila Baladeva Vidyabushana were prominent amongst the devotees. At the end of the British rule Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura and Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura appeared in India and pure Vaisnava religion began to flourish.

Now at the present time, the whole world is becoming familiar with this pure Vaisnava culture following in the line of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. During the Second World War most of the ancient Indian and Vedic texts were taken by the German army for their scientific research. In many German libraries today one can find these valuable texts, many of which are not easily accessible to the general public. The texts they are presently making available in translated form, have been edited drastically. Forty, fifty years before in Bombay, Nirnoi Sagar Press published many edition of Sanskrit books. Currently in Gaurakpur, Kalyan Press is publishing concise, summarised editions in Hindi and Sanskrit. In Bengal all Bengali language texts are published widely.

Before Mahaprabhu many sastra-praman, are quoted in books such as Sri Caitanya Caritamrta. Mostly we should consult the Baivaishya Purana where there are many references to Mahaprabhu referring to His divinity, His lila, etc, spoken in sanskrit. I have seen there where it has said in parallel verses:

anarpita carim carat / radha pranay mahima / nadiya upavane sri krsna caitanya

There it is stated that Mahaprabhu is present in this world, not only for the 48 years which were recorded but will remain for 12,500,000 years. Santan-dharma, Harinama sankirtan, vaishnava religion, will be predominate at that time, continuously progressing during the entire period. It is interesting to note that in this Purana, which is composed entirely in Sanskrit (Mumbai Nis, Press), the history of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's life and teachings are given, which confirm his position as Syama Bhagavan Sri Krsna himself.

In the edition of Caitanya Caritamrta by Srila AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaj, Adi lila Chapter 3, text 49:

suvarna-varno hemango / varangas candanangadi / sannyasa-krc chamah santo / nistha-santi-parayanah

"In His early pastimes He appears as a householder with a golden complexion. His limbs are beautiful, and His body, smeared with the pulp of sandalwood, seems like molten gold. In His later pastimes He accepts the sannyasa order, and He is equipoised and peaceful. He is the highest abode of peace and devotion, for He silences the impersonalist nondevotees."

This is a verse from the Mahabharata (Dana-dharma, Visnu-sahasra-nama-stotra). In his commentary on the Visnu-sahasra-nama called the Namatha-sudhabhidha, Srila Baladeva Vidyabhusana, commenting upon this verse, asserts that Lord Caitanya is the Supreme Personality of Godhead according to the evidence of the Upanisads.

iti dvapara urvisa / stuvanti jagad-isvaram / nana-tantra-vidhanena / kalav api yatha srnu

"O King, in this way people in Dvapara-yuga worshiped the Lord of the universe. In Kali-yuga they also worship the Supreme Personality of Godhead by the regulations of the revealed scriptures. Kindly now hear that from me.

krsna-varnam tvisakrsnam / dangopangastra-parsadam /yajnaih sankirtana-prayair / yajanti hi sumedhasah

"In the age of Kali, intelligent persons perform congregational chanting to worship the incarnation of Godhead who constantly sings the name of Krsna. Although His complexion is not blackish, He is Krsna himself. He accompanied by His associates, servants, weapons and confidential companions."

This text is from Srimad-Bhagavatam (11.5.32). Srila Jiva Gosvami has explained this verse in his commentary on the Bhagavatam known as the Krama-sandarbha, wherein he says that Lord Krsna also appears with a golden complexion. That golden Lord Krsna is Lord Caitanya, who is worshiped by intelligent men in this age. That is confirmed in Srimad-Bhagavatam by Gargamuni, who said that although the child Krsna was blackish, He also appears in three other colours-red, white and yellow. He exhibited His white and red complexion in the Satya and Treta ages respectively. He did not exhibit the remaining colour, yellow-gold, until He appeared as Lord Caitanya, who is known as Gaurahari.

Srila Jiva Gosvami explains that krsna-varnam means Sri Krsna Caitanya. Krnsa-varna and Krsna Caitanya are equivalent. The name Krnsa appears with both Lord Krsna and Lord Caitanya Krsna. Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, but He always engages in describing Krsna and thus enjoying transcendental bliss by chanting and remembering His name and form. Lord Krsna Himself appears as Lord Caitanya to preach the highest gospel.

jahnavitire navadvipe golokasye dhamni govindo/ dvibhujo gourah sarvatma mahapuruso mahatma / mahayogi trigunatita sattyarupo bhakti loke kasyeti (atharva vediya caitanyopanisad)

"On the banks of the Jahnavi, at Navadvipa which is non-different from Goloka, the omnipresent Supersoul, great personality, great soul, great mystic, beyond triple qualities, fully pure goodness, fully opulent, Sri Govinda, will appear in a two handed golden form and establish bhakti."

eko devah sarvarupi mahatma gouro raktasyamalasvetarupah / caitanyatma sa vai caitany saktir bhaktakaro bhttide bhaktivedyah / namo vedanta vedyaya krsnaya parnamatmane / souva caitanya rupaya caitanyaya namo namah / vedanta vedyam purusam puranam caitanyatmanam / taneva viditva ati mrtumeti nagah pantha visva yogi mahantam (caitanyopanisad)

"In the transcendental realm of Goloka, the same supreme Lord takes many different forms. In the different ages He appears consequently as white in satya, as red in treta, black in dvapava and golden in kali. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, who possesses caitanya sakti appears as a devotee. He is the giver of pure divine love.

"I offer my obeisances again and again unto Sri Krsna Caitanya Mahaprabhu, who is understood by the unprecedented vedante, who is Krsna and the Supersoul."

By knowing this great person, who possesses unlimited qualities, one is able to escape death. Without his direction, one cannot attain his goal; there is no other way. There is no difference between Sir Krnsa and Sri Caitanya.

saptame goavavarna visno vityanena sva saktya caikay metya / prante prataratvativya saha svaih svamanu siksayati / asya vhekha saptum saptuma manvantare vaivasata manou / goura varno bhagavan sasaktya hladinisaktya aikyam / praptya prante ka lauyuge pratah pratams sandhyayam / avatirno bhutva saha svaih saparsadaih swavnanum / hare krsnadi janau siksayati upadisati ityavthah (athavaveda-purusa bodhinyam)

"In the 7th vaivasvata manvantare at the beginning of the 28th kali-yuga, You will appear accepting the … hladini shakti, accompanied by your associates, instructing everyone to chant "Hare Krsna" mantra and other things. "Gentlemen! The all merciful Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu has no comparison. The Vedas have described Him.

ito ham krta sannyaso avartarisyami saguno / nirvedo niskamo bhugivani stiva stho alakanandeyah kalau / catah sahasrabdopari pamcasahasrabhyantave gaua varno / dighangoh sarva laksnayeikla isvara pravtito / nija rasasvado bhakta rupo nisrakoh vidityogah yama / (atharvaveda 3rd kauda brahma vibhagantaram)

"Krsna answering the Deva's prayers: Between 4,000 and 5,000 years into kali-yuga, on the special request of Siva incarnate Sri Adwaita Acarya, He appears as a transcendental Brahman. I will take sannyasa. I will have a golden complexion. Bearing many auspicious signs of a great person, I will taste my own sweetness."

visvambara visvena mahi pahi svaha (atharva veda)

" I offer myself unto the lotus feet of Visvambara who gives pranam to the three worlds."

jyotiviva dhamaka (kathopanishad 2/1/13)

"The form of the lord is like fire covered by smoke."

hiranyasmasvah hiramyakesah apranachat / sarva eva suvarnah (chandogya upanishad (1/6/6))

"The lord has a golden complectioned form and hair. From His toes to His head He is golden."

atra brahmapuram nama pundarika yaducyute / tade vastadalam padma sanivam pura madbhutam / tanmadhye daharam saksat mayapuranamitiryate / tatra vesma bhagavatas caitanyesya paratmanah / tasmin yastvantavakaso hyantarduipah sa ucyate / (chandogya upanisad)

"In My heart there is an amazing petalled lotus. In My centre there is a place called "pahava" in Mayapura. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu lives here at Antardvipa."

yada pasyah pasyate rukonakarna / katarimisam purusam brahmayonim /tada vidvan punyaspape vidhuya / niranjanah paramam samyamu paiti (mundaka upanisad 3/1/3)

"When the living entities have audience of the Supreme Lord, then, whether they are pious or sinners, they will become friends of that Lord. The complexion of that Super Soul is golden and He is the cause of everything."

vedahametam purusa mahantaviadityavarna / tanieva vidituati amrtyumetinanya tamasah parastat pantha vidya te ganaya (svetasvuava Upanisad 3/9)

mahan prabhurvai purusa satvasyaisa pravartaka / sunirmalamimain praptimisano jyotirauyayah (svetasvata Upanisad 6/12)

"That supreme lord Sri Mahaprabhu is spotless. He is the bestower of causeless mercy for the jivas."

bhaktapriyo bhaktidata damodara ibhaspatih / indradarpaharo nanto nityananda cidatmaka / caitanya rupascaitanyas cetana gunor jitah / advaita cava nipune dvaita parama hayakah nilah svetah sitah krsna goura pitambarachadah / sacisuta jayapradah / (Narada pancatratra/jnanamrtasar/ratra4/chapter8 balakrsna sahasva namstotra116-117, 84,154)

Here it is clearly mentioned the different names of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu such as bhakta priya, bhakti data, daniodara, caitanya, caitanyerupa, nityananda, advaitacaranipuna, advaita, gour krsna, sacisuta.

iti smarananantaram sri-guror ajnaya sriman-mahaprabhum sodasopacaradibhih / tan-mula-mantrenaiva pujayet. sriman-mahaprabhu-manrtoddharo yatha / urddhvamnaye sri-vyasam prati sri-narada-vakyam (3.14-16)

aho gudhatamah prasno / bhavata parikirtitah / mantram vaksyami te brahman maha-punya-pradam subham

Then, by the order of his guru, the sadhaka shall offer puja to Sriman Mahaprabhu with the sixteen articles of worship and the six-syllable gaura-mantra. In the Urddhavamnay-samhita, there is a statement concerning this gaura-mantra, wherein Sri Vedavyasa says to Sri Narada: "Oh Brahmana, you have asked which mantra is used in worshipping Bhagavan Sri Gauranga. This question is very profound. I shall speak of this greatly pious and auspicious mantra to you."

klim gauraya namah' iti / sarva-lokesu pujitah / maya-ramananga-bijaih / vag-bijena ca pujitah

sadaksarah kirtito 'yam / mantra-rajah sura-drumah

mantro yatha-klim gauraya namah; hrim, srim, klim, aim gauraya namah

"This gaura-mantra (gauraya namah) is worshipped using the bija-mantras of Maya, Rama, Ananga and Sarasvati. For example, just as we say klim gauraya namah, similarly we may also say hrim gauraya namah, srim gauraya namah, etc. In this way this six syllable mantra is honoured. When the people of the world combine gauraya namaha with the kama bija and chant klim gauraya namaha, they receive the gift of divine love. I have chanted to you this sadakshara-mantra-raja, which is like a kalpa-druma because it fulfils all of one's desires."

Dear Prabhu, I think here, while I am travelling here in England and Holland I don't have access to many books for reference. If you'd like I will give all sastric quotations, referenced, stated as they are, when I return to India. In our Gaudiya Vedanta Samiti, the sastra praman, quotations, are available. When I return to Mathura I will be able to send them to you in July when I return. Then I can give you a full answer with all quotations.

Please send me any questions you have. I am happy you remembered me. Please accept my dandavat pranams.

Jaya Sri Radhe!

Your servant,

Tridandi Swami Bhaktivedanta Tirtha Maharaja

Guest guest

We posted to Sripada BV Tirtha Mj some premises that should be observed in these discussions on sastric evidences on Sri Caitanya avatara, as follows:

1. The opposite parties obviously will reject all sastric evidences done after Sri Caitanya avatara advent, such as His biographies made by His followers (Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Sri Caitanya-mangala, Sri Caitanya-bhagavata and others). They would like to analyze and to discuss the sastric evidences existing before His advent.

2. They would like to discuss in terms of sruti texts, mainly Vedas and popular Upanisads (Sri Caitanya Upanisad is wildly rejected as it is a newly revealed source). Smrti texts are not consider bona fide sources due its countless interpolations and great variety of manuscripts of dubious authenticity.

3. The sources should easily assessable to all parties, informing book editions, publishers, date, place, and so on.

Maharajaji informed us that he has most of theses sources and books at our Gaudiya Vedanta Samiti in Mathura, and when he return to India in July he will make a serious research on that subject matter and will push it for all.

Dasa dasanudasa

Satyaraja dasa