IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

I over heard...

Rate this topic

I heard one saint describe ahankara (false ego) in the following manner.

"False ego means accepting this body as oneself. When one understands that he is not his body and is spirit soul, he comes to his real ego. Ego is there. False ego is condemned, but not real ego. In the Brhad-aranyaka Upanisad 1.4.10 it is said, aham brahmasmi: I am Brahman, I am spirit. This “I am,” the sense of self, also exists in the liberated stage of self-realization. This sense of “I am” is ego, but when the sense of “I am” is applied to this false body it is false ego. When the sense of self is applied to reality, that is real ego. There are some philosophers who say we should give up our ego, but we cannot give up our ego, because ego means identity. We ought, of course, to give up the false identification with the body."

I heard one saint describe ahankara (false ego) in the following manner.

"False ego means accepting this body as oneself. When one understands that he is not his body and is spirit soul, he comes to his real ego.

Ego is there. False ego is condemned, but not real ego. In the Brhad-aranyaka Upanisad 1.4.10 it is said, aham brahmasmi: I am Brahman, I am spirit. This “I am,” the sense of self, also exists in the liberated stage of self-realization. This sense of “I am” is ego, but when the sense of “I am” is applied to this false body it is false ego. When the sense of self is applied to reality, that is real ego. There are some philosophers who say we should give up our ego, but we cannot give up our ego, because ego means identity. We ought, of course, to give up the false identification with the body."

"I Am!" that "I Am!" O.K.(Oh! Krsna!) -das...das...das:rolleyes:

Guest guest

"I Am!" that "I Am!" O.K.(Oh! Krsna!) -das...das...das:rolleyes:

Ego is False not I. I is Brahman, the supreme Lord. If you delete I then what?

Ego is False not I. I is Brahman, the supreme Lord. If you delete I then what?

Then nothing.

Individual ego remains in unity. Our personalities exist as jivas and Krsna's Personality is there as the Supreme Personality even AFTER liberation.

As I have recently learned ahankara comes from aham kara or 'I am the cause". But we are not the cause. Krsna is the Cause of all causes. So when we give up this false notion being the cause AND recognize that Krsna is the Cause we are then self realized and established in our natural positions in relation to Krsna.

This is true liberation from false identification. Realizing the true I Am in realtion to the Supreme I Am.

Guest guest

Then nothing.

Individual ego remains in unity. Our personalities exist as jivas and Krsna's Personality is there as the Supreme Personality even AFTER liberation.

As I have recently learned ahankara comes from aham kara or 'I am the cause". But we are not the cause. Krsna is the Cause of all causes. So when we give up this false notion being the cause AND recognize that Krsna is the Cause we are then self realized and established in our natural positions in relation to Krsna.

This is true liberation from false identification. Realizing the true I Am in realtion to the Supreme I Am.

Supreme I Am-->True I Am, relation is always one step down from the top of the roof. When True I should seat on the same roof that as Supreme I is seating, then why True I will seat on the staircase, one step down?

That's why Lord Hari allows all True I to seat on the top of the roof when True I realized that He is no other than supreme I. That's called merging with Hari, merging with Supreme Brahman.

Guest guest

Yeah yeah. I have heard before. But tell me if you are the Supreme I why are you now suffering in the dimension of birth, death, old age, and disease?

This is the process of realization for all mortal as defined by Vishnu.

This is the process of realization for all mortal as defined by Vishnu.

Yes we are the tiny immortals who have fallen under the illusion of being that which we are not. We are immortal but think we are mortal and therefore due to this mistaken identity we suffer.

But this just proves that we are not Hari Himself for Hari never suffers such an identity crisis. Maya can have no effct on Hari because maya is a suborinate energy of Hari. If Hari could be made to forget His identity then the force that made Him forget would be supreme over Him.

We are part of Hari like the particles of sunlight are like the sun itself, but no particle can claim to be the whole sun.

Guest guest

Yes we are the tiny immortals who have fallen under the illusion of being that which we are not. We are immortal but think we are mortal and therefore due to this mistaken identity we suffer.

But this just proves that we are not Hari Himself for Hari never suffers such an identity crisis. Maya can have no effct on Hari because maya is a suborinate energy of Hari. If Hari could be made to forget His identity then the force that made Him forget would be supreme over Him.

We are part of Hari like the particles of sunlight are like the sun itself, but no particle can claim to be the whole sun.

One particle of Hari is also Hari. If there is no light who will know Sun?

One particle of Hari is also Hari. If there is no light who will know Sun?

That oneness is accepted. Lord Caitanya taught acintya bhedabheda tattva. That we are simultaneously one with and different from Hari. It is inconceivable by the conditioned mind.

No harm in identifying with Hari for Hari you are. The harm is when you claim to be equal to Hari for equal you are not. Both are true statements.

Hari is unlimited but we are limited. Not just in our material condition but also in the liberated stage.

Hari has given us our very selves. Just like every particle of sunlight has been generated from the sun. But no particle can claim to have been the generator of all the other particles much less the sun itself. Hari is the Supreme generator of all the living beings and also of that energy that appears to be living.